Posted by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

It's currently 5AM in the morning, I've been awake for nineteen hours, and I'm buzzed off a cup of warm french roast. So I figured there's no better way to convert this caffeinated energy into something productive than to write yet another superhero comic-book blog list!

Now as some of you may know, I'm an amateur/aspiring comic-book penciller. It's something I've always wanted to pursue, ever since I picked up that fateful copy of Moon Knight Vol. 1 The Bottom as a kid--a decision I made solely because of the awesome David Finch cover. I loved to write (as evidenced by my many rambling blogs on CV), I had some modicum of artistic talent, and I loved superheroes. So drawing superhero comics always seemed like an ideal, no-brainer career path for me.

I've only recently started taking this dream of drawing superhero comics seriously. I've begun to do research on the business, to work on my portfolio, and the realization of just how difficult it is to break into mainstream American comics is definitely hitting me me hard. Truth be told, it's all a little overwhelming and I'm doubtful I'll ever reach a professional level. That said, it hasn't stopped me from trying yet, and a big part of improving my craft is to study the art of superhero comics...

Or rather, to study the superhero comic artists whose work I admire and appreciate; the creators who have brought some of the finest stories of our chosen genre to life with their panels and pencils. These are the artistic greats whose work I try to emulate, the guys who inspire me to pursue my creative passion.

Superhero comic artists aren't just artists, you have to realize. They're costume designers, and architects, and engineers, and directors...but above all else, they're storytellers. Here are my top ten favorite superhero comic artists of all-time:

10: Howard Porter

No Caption Provided

In truth, tenth place could have been filled by any number of wonderful artists working in the industry today. Tim Sale, Greg Capullo, David Finch--I considered many of my longtime favorites. In the end though, I had to give it to Howard Porter just off the strength of a single book, Grant Morrison's defining 90s run on JLA.

I'll be the first to admit that Porter's work has many obvious flaws; he doesn't draw the best faces and expressions, his perspective and anatomy can be wonky, and his particular style of art has not aged like fine wine. But when paired with John Dell on inks, and given an insane high-octane script by Morrison, Porter shines. Howard Porter, for all his technical pitfalls, is a talented raconteur. With his art, he's able to translate the energy and excitement of Morrison's grand "big-picture" stories, and I don't think JLA would've been half as innovative and groundbreaking as it was without Porter.

Most of Porter's work outside JLA has been mediocre in my experience (Justice League 3000 from the New 52 comes to mind), but I think his work on the 40+ issues of JLA is enough to earn him the last spot in my shortlist.

9: Joe Bennett

No Caption Provided

Meet the most underrated penciller working in the industry today. You may know him from Marvel's current Immortal Hulk book (for which he's doing fantastic work), but my first encounter with Señor Bennett came in #5 of a little-known series called Captain America and the Falcon. Now, while I loved the book's story by Christopher Priest, the art by Bart Sears in the first four issues were goddamn near-unreadable. That goofy giant Cap head that I use as my iconic ComicVine avatar? Bart Sears, ladies and gents. So when Bennett finally hopped on Captain America and the Falcon with the fifth issue, I immediately fell in love with the man's work.

Bennett is the definition of a no-frills artist. There's nothing overtly flashy about his art, which is probably why he never gets greater recognition, but the man can communicate a story to the reader with a clean, crisp style that is unmatched. Every little detail and shadow is right where it needs to be in service of the comic's plot. There's no redundant cross-hatching or clutter in Bennett's panels; he uses simple, strong lines and lighting to convey exactly what the script demands. Joe Bennett's art is a masterclass in how to draw comics efficiently, and why less is often more in this visual medium.

Bennett is frequently paired with Christopher Priest (aka the most underrated writer working in the industry today), and besides Captain America and the Falcon, other fine examples of this awesome creative team's work include Deathstroke (vol. 4) with DC and The Crewwith Marvel.

8: Jack Kirby

No Caption Provided

It might seem sacrilegious to put the King so close to the bottom of the list, but while I adore the man's work, his low rank is largely because his art is such a far cry from my own personal style. My pencils tend to veer towards photorealism and verisimilitude, while Kirby's throws all that out the window for the bombastic, uber-dramatic style that we all recognize and love. Jack Kirby is not necessarily an artist whom I emulate in my work (and really, who can truly copy the inimitable King?), but I've still included him on my list for one simple reason...

I learned how to draw comics from Jack Kirby. As an introverted nine-year-old (yes, we're doing the origin story again), I discovered a copy of Essential Fantastic Four Vol. 3 in my school library, and upon looking at Kirby's pencils, something immediately clicked inside me. It's like I learned the language of superhero comics from Kirby. Perspective: how to frame and angle a shot for maximum dynamism. Form: how to exaggerate and foreshorten figures to make them pop out the panels. It was like Kirby's art taught some primal part of my brain how superhero comics worked, and I'll always be indebted to the King for sparking that desire to draw comics of my own.

Kirby's work and legacy speaks for itself, and I doubt I need to recommend his work to any comic-book aficionado, but my personal favorite will always be his run on Fantastic Four (vol. 1)with Stan Lee. To me, that will always be Kirby's artistic peak, and reading cheap black-and-white reprints of his work on that book will always be a happy childhood memory.

Thanks to Jack (and Stan, as well!) for all the great stories over the years. You'll always be a hero to me.

7: Mike Mignola

No Caption Provided

Speaking of Kirby, if there's someone with the most sui generis art style in the industry today, it's undoubtedly our man Mike Mignola. This man doesn't even have an art style, he has an aesthetic. Everything that he draws is so uniquely rendered that it resembles nothing else in mainstream superhero comics. Nothing about Mignola's pencils look like it should work; from his angular, distorted figures to his heavy expressionist shadows, and yet it does. Mignola is proof that there's room in superhero comics for art styles beyond your usual Jim Lees and David Finches.

Much like Jack Kirby, I don't see too much of my own art reflected in Mignola's. We're obviously poles apart artistically. But I read Mignola's Hellboy at an impressionable age, and I remember being so taken by his work that I even went through a phase trying to imitate his distinct, abstract style. There's no mistaking a Mignola piece. He effortlessly draws comics in his own uncompromising M.O., and it's not hyperbole to say that Mignola's art is likely 90% the reason why Hellboy has become one of the most popular indie superheroes today.

You really can't go wrong with any Mignola-drawn volume of Hellboyor B.P.R.D., but my personal favorite is a short story in the Vol. 3 trade entitled The Wolves of Saint August (pictured above). Hellboy fights a giant werewolf...'nuff said.

6: John Cassaday

No Caption Provided

John Cassaday's artwork is just mesmerizing to look at. It is, in short, aesthetically-pleasing on every level. I can't count the number of times I've lost my train of thought in an Cassaday issue, all because I was so entranced by his art, I lingered on a panel long enough to disrupt the flow of the story. If I could summarize my take on Cassaday's art in one word, it would be balance. His work strikes that perfect balance between photorealism and sensationalism. Everything seems deceptively basic, but every line and shadow has been carefully crafted to give you a beautiful superhero story.

If Bennett is economic, Cassaday is minimalistic; not a single aspect of his linework feels wasted or vestigial. "Perfectly balanced," as the Mad Titan would say. Admittedly, Cassaday's work has hit a bit of a slump in recent years, but when he's on top of his game, there aren't many artists who can compete. He can do it all; from the loud, action-packed splash pages to the quiet, reflective character moments and conversations.

Cassaday's magnum opus is the beloved Astonishing X-Men (vol. 3)with Joss Whedon (goddamn, no one draws a finer Beast), but I've always loved his rendition of Cap in the Marvel Knights Captain America (vol. 4)run with John Ney Rieber too. I think later depictions of Cap's costume, with more practical features, owe a lot to how Cassaday drew Steve Rogers.

5: Steve Epting

No Caption Provided

And speaking of Captain America artists...next up on my list is none other than Steve Epting, the Shark's favorite Cap artist himself! It goes without saying that Brubaker's Captain America run is one of my most cherished superhero comics in existence (I've written like three separate blogs about it, after all...), but Brubaker's tale of Cold War espionage would not have been possible without Steve Epting's gritty and real-world art style.

Epting's debut issue was the first Captain America comic I'd ever read in my life, and his art played a crucial role in establishing my lifelong love for Steve Rogers. I used to view Steve as your typical Silver Age boy scout. But Epting's pencils sold the character as a soldier to me, establishing the Living Legend in a realistically-rendered world that matched Brubaker's more grounded take on the Marvel Universe. To date, I still hold Epting as the artistic metric for all Captain America comics.

Naturally, I view Captain America (vol. 5)to be my favorite comic by Epting. The first ten issues of the Winter Soldier story-arc feature some of his tightest, cleanest work; I mean, just read that opening train hijacking scene. But I do have to give a special mention to Sara, Epting's recent six-issue miniseries with Garth Ennis about Russian women snipers in WWII. I realize it's not about superheroes...but Sara really might be the best damn thing Epting's ever drawn.

No surprise that he could draw a great WWII comic after all that time with Cap, eh?

4: Gary Frank

No Caption Provided

Geoff Johns once referred to Gary Frank as the finest Superman artist of our generation, and I'm inclined to wholeheartedly agree. I first fell in love with Frank's art during his Action Comics run with Johns, specifically the Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes story-arc (pictured above). In it, Frank depicts all the titular action of Johns' narrative with artistic aplomb, but what really cemented Legion as one of my favorite comics was how Frank drew an icon like Superman.

It wasn't him referencing Christopher Reeve's face that solidified Frank's Superman as my definitive depiction of the character. Rather, it was how Frank drew Superman's face. Frank's pencils captured all the emotional range of Kal-El; from his confident inspiration, to his disarming warmth and charm, to even his righteous fury in battle. In essence, he made a godlike character feel relatable and human, and if that isn't the very definition of Superman, what is?

Frank has always done stellar work, from his early days drawing The Incredible Hulk (vol. 1) with Peter David, but his 2000s work is on a whole other plateau. His recent art has evolved into a precise style that's equal parts comic-book-loud as it is hyper-detailed-realism. Any of his Action Comics (vol. 1) or Superman work with Johns is superb (ha!), but I would also recommend his Supreme Power (vol. 1)MAX run with J. Michael Straczynski.

It's a damn shame that DC decided to can Gary Frank's Graphic Ink artbook, but best believe I'll preorder my copy if it ever comes out!

3: Alex Ross

No Caption Provided

I mean, is there anything else that hasn't already been said about the archetypal Alex Ross? I don't think I even need to justify Ross' inclusion on my list, in all honesty. Short of Jim Lee, there's maybe no single modern superhero comic artist who has had this much of an artistic impact on our chosen genre.

It's not just that Ross can paint, because there have been painted superhero comics before him. But rather, it's that Ross' Rockwell-esque style is rendered so beautifully and authentically that these bigger-than-life superheroes become truly mythic. There's just a certain je ne sais quoi about Ross' paintings that elevates his subjects. His depiction of the Justice League and the Avengers, for instance, are some of the most iconic versions of these pop-culture icons. I'm sure that every superhero fan can think of at least one seminal Ross image off the top of their head.

Now I know Ross has faced criticism in the past about his characters being too akin to still-life, which doesn't translate well into the momentum and energy of superhero comics (a fair and sensible critique). But personally, I've always viewed that to be more of an artistic strength than a shortcoming. Ross' greatest asset is that he remains leagues above most of his contemporaries in terms of sheer technical draftsmanship. His mastery of the fundamentals (anatomy, lighting, depth of field, perspective etc.) is what makes his painted style so believable, after all.

And Ross' proficiency is hardly limited to pretty covers alone. Just look at any of his interiors, and you can see ready evidence that this is an artist who understands sequential storytelling. Kingdom Comewith Mark Waid remains his crowning achievement (while also showcasing Ross' masterful eye for costume design), but Marvelswith Kurt Busiek is a close second.

2: Frank Quitely

No Caption Provided

Hoo boy. And now we've arrived at what I'm certain will be the most polarizing and controversial entry on my list. I know I'll get some flak for this (you know who you are) but I'm saying it anyway: I love Frank Quitely's art.

I understand that Quitely's idiosyncratic, quirky style is not everyone's proverbial cup of tea. Quitely is certainly the definition of an acquired taste. But goddamn, this man can draw superhero comics. His aesthetics are delightful (I love the way he uses detailed linework to layer the textures of clothing and characters, for instance), but what I'm talking about is his sheer mastery of the comic-book medium and what it can do. Notice the way he manipulates the medium's conventions; how he distorts panels to play with time and space in We3 or Authority, how he reshapes background elements into organic SFX in Batman and Robin, how he utilizes chicken fat to ensure not a single panel is wasted in All-Star Superman...

It's subtle and not immediately obvious to the unseasoned eye, but Quitely is clearly an artist who understands the comic-book as a storytelling format, as well as all the possibilities that it implies.

Suffice to say, my favorite superhero comic in this universe is also my favorite Frank Quitely comic: All-Star Superman. I truly believe that these twelve issues encapsulate not just everything great about the character of Superman, but also everything great about superhero comics on a technical and visual level. That said, almost anything drawn by Quitely is worth checking out; there's no such thing as a half-assed comic in this man's bibliography. Every panel is seamlessly planned and curated, and Quitely is a true artist in every sense of the term.

1: Bryan Hitch

No Caption Provided

And finally, three hours after I started writing this blog post, we have arrived at the inevitable conclusion. I guess I won't bury the lede, and instead start with the obvious: Bryan Hitch is who I wish I could draw like.

Everything about Hitch's style and craft is exactly what I strive to accomplish in my own work. More than any other penciller working in the industry today, Hitch's entire art is built on one all-encompassing principle: verisimilitude. I.e., the belief that the more realistic and believable you make the mundane elements of your world, the more contrasting and larger-than-life your fantastical elements become.

Hitch takes zero shortcuts. He's taken a heavy bruising in the past for his slow rate of work, but I think the sheer quality of his pencils speak for themselves. Everything that Hitch draws is on point and as true-to-life as he can make it. Anatomy and figures and apparel? Check. Perspective and lighting? Check. Character work and facial expressions? Double-page spreads and large-scale action? Check, check. In his prime, Hitch never compromised his belief in verisimilitude for expediency, and there's a reason why this man is considered to be the progenitor of cinematic "widescreen" comics.

Much like Cassaday, I'll concede that Hitch's work in the last few years have not been up to par (although I have heard good things about his stuff in Robert Venditti's recent Hawkman book). But frankly, Hitch could have retired after Ultimates 2 and still cemented his place in the superhero artist pantheon. Words can't adequately convey how much of an artistic influence this man has been on my own amateur work. I remember reading The Ultimates in my younger days and being blown away page after page, always thinking that Hitch would not be able to top himself in the next issue, only to find he always did.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent studying and poring over this man's pages in my own quest for comic-book legendom. How he draws detailed cityscapes and believable skylines. How he doesn't rely on SFX or speed lines to convey motion, rather relying instead on diegetic elements like debris or blood. How he combines photo-reference to ground mythic characters in a believable setting. I even bought Ultimate Comics Studio, Hitch's own how-to guide for comics, which has proven to be an immeasurable treasure trove of knowledge about his artistic style and work ethic.

I'm going to stop verbally fellating the man now at this point because I think I've gotten the overall sentiment across. But if you ever want to witness the greatest superhero art in the history of the medium (yeah, I said it), pick up Mark Millar's runs on The Ultimates (vol. 1)and The Ultimates 2 (vol. 1). While I love Hitch's work on earlier titles like Millar's The Authority (vol. 1)and Waid's JLAas well, Hitch hit his artistic pinnacle with his work on The Ultimates. It's a literal masterpiece.

Muhammad Ali was born to fight, Michael Jackson was born to sing, and Bryan Hitch was born to draw superhero comics.

With that said, I hope you guys enjoyed this blog and as always, thanks for reading my caffeine-fueled rantings. Sound off in the comments below about your own favorite superhero comic artists, or drag me about my undying love for Frank Quitely.

#1 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12537 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice list 👍

#2 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26903 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, I will read through tonight.

#3 Posted by The_Red_Devil (4788 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice work.

#4 Posted by Supermanthor (18917 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#5 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (24249 posts) - - Show Bio

Those are some very fine choices.

Nice to see a fellow Frank Quitely fan.

What do you think of George Perez, btw?

#6 Edited by Magian (151477 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll admit, I'm not that familiar with the work of some of the artists you mentioned but some of them like Gary Frank or Hitch are among my favourites as well.

#7 Posted by Warlockmage (9207 posts) - - Show Bio

no Greg Land or Liefeld? bah im disappointed.

#8 Posted by TDK_1997 (18670 posts) - - Show Bio

A very well written blog piece which lines out in the clearest way your love for these artists and also points out at their strenghts and weaknesses. What I liked about this is that you do not overrate the penciler's work but you also point out their weaknesses and critiques they have received from their fans and other creators as well. Very well written indeed and interesting at the same time.

Also, to add to my previous comments, I very much agree with you on almost everything that was mentioned. What I did not expect is definitely putting Hitch first, I did not see that one coming.

#9 Posted by Saiyan_Ross (156 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not a fan of Quitely's art tbh but other than that great list I guess.

#10 Posted by PurplePerson (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Quitely!? Seriously!? Nah, JK. I'm not a fan of the guy but obviously a lot of people love his work so more power to you I guess.

Nice list with good explanations of why you like each of these guys.

I'd have made space for George Perez, JRJR and Brian Bolland but it's all subjective of course.

#11 Posted by HigherPower (12294 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I think Esad Ribic's art is beautiful. I would've liked to see him on here but your list is fantastic on its own :)

#12 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Another well thought out and well constructed blog Veshark. It was interesting to see who your favourite artists are as an aspiring artist yourself. Porter's style probably hasn't aged well like you said but when he put pen to paper in bringing Morrison's visions to life, it was top notch comics. Hearing your reasons for Bennett aside from his top tier work on Immortal Hulk was also fascinating (also cool to learn the origin of your avatar) Normally I would curse anyone for rating Kirby so low but given your praise of him in its full context, I'll let you off this time.

Epting and Frank are personal favourites of mine so I appreciate their inclusion on the list. I don't have a big problem with Quitely being so high on your list as I adore his All Star Superman art. I do however think his style can be a big hit or miss like in the case of his Batman and Robin art. Hitch being your number one sounds vaguely familiar. Personally my favourite work of Hitch's is JLA: Heaven's Ladder since the grand scale of the story is beautifully rendered by Hitch's larger than life panels and double page spreads.

#13 Posted by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio

@mazahs117@anthp2000@the_red_devil@supermanthor@saiyan_ross Thanks for reading, guys. Any artists y'all would have personally included?

@life_without_progress George Perez? Incredible artist. I think one of his greatest strengths is that he has a very pleasing John Buscema-type style that allows him to capture the "ideal" traits of every superhero. As in when Perez draws a hero, it looks like the definitive version of that character. And of course Perez is unrivaled in his attention to detail, he's the master of the giant group shot. His work on CoIE, Busiek's Avengers, and JLA/Avengers...I'm still blown away by how he can fit so many characters without overwhelming the cover. If there's one criticism I have of Perez's style is that his fine linework can occasionally make his figures feel stiff, but it's a minor flaw.

And yay, another Quitely fan. We must band together against a forum that fears and hates us.

@magian Well I've included what I consider to be each artist's finest work in their entries, so hopefully this encourages you to check out some of those comics! Thanks for reading!

@warlockmage Land and Liefeld are #11 and #12, respectively.

@tdk_1997 Appreciate the kind words, man. And yes, Hitch has always been my number one boy. Anyone you would've personally included instead?

@purpleperson Cool! I love all of the artists you listed as well. Perez I've already stated for reasons above (see my response to LifeWithoutProgress), but for Romita Jr., I've always loved how his style has evolved into these heavy, blocky figures with lots of motion lines and energy that feel Kirbyesque. Bolland is a true jack-of-all-trades (pencils, inks, colors), but I'm not too familiar with his interior work. I've only really read The Killing Joke (which I love).

@higherpower Thanks, HP. Yeah, I love Ribic as well. I first encountered his work in Hickman's Ultimates; the man takes this unique painted European space-opera sci-fi aesthetic and melds it perfectly with American superhero comics. I've got his Thor God of Thunder run on my list of comics to buy too, so I'm looking forward to that.

@lvenger As always, appreciate the thoughtful response to my blog, L. On Quitely, yeah I have heard that some were not a fan of the rougher, scratchier style he used in Batman and Robin, but I personally enjoyed the artistic departure. Heaven's Ladder has superb art, I agree. I didn't care too much for Waid's story (I think we've had this conversation before), but I can't deny that Hitch was in top-form here. It's always fascinating to see Hitch's style maturing from JLA to the Authority to the Ultimates. Any other artists I failed to mention that you would've included?

#14 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12537 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: For me, I’d probably have Esad Ribic, Olivier Coipel, George Perez, McFarlane and Jim Lee on my personal list....🤔Geez, I could also add Fabok and Ivan Reis too, ugh too many 😖

#15 Posted by PayneInTheAss (11481 posts) - - Show Bio

Props for putting Quitely so high in the list.

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (18670 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I completely understand your love for Hitch. Every person has that one creator in his mind who is doing a perfect job, who got them into comic books in a way. For me that was Jim Lee. However, I wouldn't include him in a Top 10 list like this one.

If it were up to me to make this list, I would have put artists like Olivier Coipel, Stuart Immonen, Greg Capullo or Ivan Reis. Each one of those creators is a God, at least in my eyes, when it come to grandeur superhero comic books and large battles that make you feel like part of the story. Now, some of them have definitely not been doing their best job lately, but due to the fact of what type of a legacy they have left after themselves I would gladly include at least one of them in my list.

#17 Posted by Magian (151477 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

@veshark:Olivier Coipel, Stuart Immonen, Greg Capullo or Ivan Reis.

Great choices. If I were to make something like this, I would have definitely included those.

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (18670 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian: I have always been a major fan of those guys. They are not particularly my top 5 favorite artists but I do believe that they bring a certain feeling and a certain sense of grandeur with them. Also, Coipel and Immonen are people who often get overlooked but their work is incredible in my opinion - clean, tidy, great proportions and great sense for the book.

#19 Posted by Kevd4wg (12747 posts) - - Show Bio

I should've known Hitch was gonna be at #1, but it still caught me by surprise. His style was pretty hit or miss for me(I like it a lot in Ultimates cuz it fit the book for example, but in FF it wasn't as good). Excellent list tho

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#20 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15873 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex Ross, Jack Kirby & John Cassaday 🔥

#21 Edited by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Now that you mention it, I do recall us having a conversation about Heaven's Ladder. I remember I was surprised when you said you disliked the story since I thought it would have been up your street. For artists I would have added that we're both aware of, I would say George Perez, Ivan Reis and Oliver Coipel. One artist who you may not be aware of that's become one of my favourites recently is Jorge Jiminez. He's been doing a lot of work during Rebirth for Superman, Super Sons and is currently the artist on Justice League. He combines detailed facial expressions with a dynamic, manga inspired sense of motion for his layouts and action scenes. I think he's an underrated talent in comics currently.

#22 Posted by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio

@mazahs117 I love all those guys as well. Except maybe McFarlane...I think he's got a good eye for iconic visual design (see: Spider-Man, Venom, Spawn), but his linework is a little too scratchy and 90s for my tastes. Fabok is great too; for a relative newcomer his art has improved leaps and bounds, propelling him from Detective Comics all the way to doing Darkseid War with Johns.

@payneintheass Quitely is criminally underrated and irrationally overhated, and I don't understand why.

@tdk_1997 I love Hitch but I have an interesting relationship with his art. When he's on-point, he's untouchable, but his recent work post-Ultimates 2 has been reeeallly inconsistent. Much as I love the guy, he's done some of the ugliest covers in recent memory, and his DC work has not been up to his usual standard. But I can't disagree with any of your choices. Capullo actually came really close to being #10 just off his work on Snyder's Batman. Reis is the go-to guy when you need an artist for a big superhero crossover event. Immonen and Coipel are wonderful too; Coipel especially...I loved seeing the evolution of his style, from a rougher scratchier look in Avengers Red Zone...to the more refined, epic style he used for JMS Thor.

@kevd4wg Ha, really? I feel like I've professed my love for Hitch before. But no I don't disagree with you there; while Hitch still brought his A-game to Millar's FF (see: the page in Doom's library, or Franklin/Valeria out in the forests), his photorealistic style just didn't gel with the high-concept sci-fi story that Millar was trying to tell.

@ready_4_madness Thanks for reading!

@lvenger Maybe it merits a re-read, but I remember just not enjoying Waid's JLA work. His decision to focus on interpersonal clashes in the team over the big disaster-epic stories that Morrison did just didn't sit right with me. As for Jorge Jimenez, yeah I've recently become aware of his work through Snyder's JL. I wouldn't say he's up my artistic alley per se, but I can appreciate how he exaggerates proportions for a more dynamic, cartoony style. Definitely a talent to keep an eye on.

#23 Posted by TDK_1997 (18670 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Yes, I totally agree with you. My love for Hitch was born with his run on The Authority with Warren Ellis. I think that The Authority and both Ultimates volumes are his best work up to this date and he cannot go higher than that. Why I believe that he cannot go higher is because now he has a busier schedule and is developing a lot more stuff rather than just creating interiors for comic books. However, his current work on Hawkman has been incredible. For a few years I had stopped liking his artwork - too generic and everyone looked the same in a way, but now with Hawkman he really is showing why he is a legendary veteran in the business.

Man, sometimes I forget that Coipel did the interiors for Red Zone. That story looked amazing and yet so different from current Coipel. The man has developed a lot throughout the years.

#24 Edited by Saiyan_Ross (156 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Well I have no such "favorite artists" to quite an extent but I like Mcniven, Mahnke, Perez,Fabok,David Mack,Jim Lee,Darick Robertson,Mark Brooks,Romita Jr,Kubert,Lark,Finch, Deodato, Del Otto,Chris Bachalo, Milgrom, Ron Lim, Opena, apart from some of those that u mentioned.....I mean seriously it doesn't end.

But I guess I can make out ur favorite artists to be related with those characters that u like.