Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Satyrquaze

Male heroes draw comic fans

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

It's no secret that comic-book movies — even the bad ones — have become a virtual Hollywood ATM.

That is, as long as they aren't anchored by women. Then all bets are off.

Comic devotees plunk down plenty of cash for critically trashed movies with men at their heart, from Ghost Rider ($115 million) to Daredevil ($102 million) to franchise-crushers such as Batman and Robin ($107 million).

Women as superheroes are a tougher sell — like Catwoman ($40 million) or Elektra ($24 million).

That makes the Fantastic Four franchise something of a puzzle. The first film released in 2005 earned $154 million with Jessica Alba in the role of Sue Storm, the backbone of the team. And expectations for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer will be just as high when the movie opens Friday.

"There's a bias against comic-book movies with women in big roles," says Blair Butler, a commentator for the G4TV network, which is aimed at video gamers and comic-book devotees.

"That may be because fanboys are, well, boys," Butler says. "They like women in distress or supporting roles — or in a bondage outfit with open-toed stilettos like Catwoman. It's nice to see this (franchise) give Sue Storm a strong role and an outfit that covers her body."

The question of women's roles in superhero stories — dubbed the "women in refrigerators" debate after a Green Lantern issue in which the superhero's girlfriend was found dismembered in an icebox — began on comic pages and websites but has spilled onto the big screen.

"Certainly, a lot of the comic world is from the male perspective," says Rob Worley of Comics2Film.com. "You look at the way, say, Wonder Woman is drawn, and it's done from a very stereotypical perspective. She is drawn to match the male fantasy."

And film scripts have been similarly weak, concedes Kevin Feige, head of production for Marvel Studios.

"There haven't been good female comic-book-driven movies yet," he says. "I think because the first few out of the gate were weak, people got gun-shy about making more. But we have several in the works, and I'm sure when the story is there, people will come."

Alba believes one way to attract moviegoers to female superheroes is to worry less about die-hard comic fans.

"I think the success of our movie is that we were aiming for the families as much as the fans. And that's a group that recognizes strong women roles."

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Octagon Enigma

I think Jessica Alba's hot. 'Nuff said.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Satyrquaze

and there's the common denominator...

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Tomb Raider movies made tons of money and were basically comicbook/video game nerd/fan flicks starring a super-heroine.

I think the correlation has more to do with the fact that Elektra and Catwoman were unwatchable than the fact that they're super-heroines. Variety of other factors you can look at like Halle Berry and Jennifer Garner not really being that big of a draw and no other stars in those movies, plus their marketing probably wasn't nearly as aggressive as the crappy super-hero movies mentioned.

Why do people bring up what chicks wear in comics when every male in comics squeezes into form fitting spandex and has a Mr. Universe body? And yet you never see the soloflexes and 6 second ab machines.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Satyrquaze

Agreed. Catwoman and Elektra were unwatchable, I can say that since I never watched them.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zero edge

yeah... it isn't female superheros that are the problem... elektra and catwoman just plain sucked... worst then daredevil or even batman and robin in my opinion... im still pretty pissed at how crappy the elektra movie was... one of the assassins was killed by a TREE for crying out loud...

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Martian

I have to agree with Zero Edge. Its not that they are Females, but the fact that both movies just sucked so bad it hurt to watch. They were just horrible. Haily Berry sucked in both Catwoman and X-Men series. She is horrible. The only thing she has is that she is hot.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Halley Berry is no Ororo.

Try Angela Basset.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I've seen Elektra (I could tell Catwoman would suck from the trailer) and was glad I didn't pay to see it. If it wasn't for the fact that I was 30,000 feet above the Atlantic, I would have walked out. Halle Berry even apologised for Catwoman when she accepted her Razzie.

"That makes the Fantastic Four franchise something of a puzzle. The first film released in 2005 earned $154 million with Jessica Alba in the role of Sue Storm, the backbone of the team. And expectations for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer will be just as high when the movie opens Friday." Much as I love Jessica Alba (Mrs. Cosmic Sentinel), she's not the main reason I'm watching the next FF movie. The shiny guy is. Also, she's only a quarter of the line up. That would make X-Men a puzzle too, the first one has more female heroes (Jean Grey, Storm, Rogue) than male (Cyclops, Wolverine).

Hagane Enna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Hagane Enna

Red L.A.M.P. says:

"Halley Berry is no Ororo. Try Angela Basset.
" />http://www.founders.howard.edu/Commencement2000/IMAGES/Bassett250.jpg"

Lamp, that's who I keep saying they should have picked too.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zero edge

Not to mention the Catwoman movie had absolutely nothing to do with the comic version.

GL Bertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GL Bertron

I saw the Catwoman movie while I was flying to Cali and I agree with Cosmic Sentinal on this, that movie sucked. I actually put on my CD player headphones and took out a Terry Brooks book so I wouldn't finish the movie. THe guy next to me on the flight got to the point where he took off his movie headphone, rolled them up and stuck the headphones in a barf bag. He said that the movie deserved to be in there too.

Marrduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marrduke

I first off "Jessica Alba is the backbone of the group' (paraphrased)....NO, Jesica alba is only in there bc the director and fan-boys want to jerk off to her.

Marrduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Marrduke

second.....One of the biggest problems (MARVEL especially) is that artisis and writers are too busy putting their highschool fetish's in books, and less concerened about comming up with a good, well rounded character. It seems that no one knows what a "strong female character" means. By todays examples the typical female mold goes like this.

Hot - check

"spunky"/quick witted - check

tatoos -check, ( bc EVERYONEhas them right?,..and the're hot right?)

piercings -check (bc every girl has at least 5 right?)

115 lbs, but can fight like a whirlwind and kick 3 grown men's asses -check..(seriously..when is this trend going to stop)

OH,...and every pose has to be drawn in the "stripper pole"

Look at the current Mrs. Marvel series. Do you REALLY need to frame the shot around her ass/tits??? Do all female characters have to stand in the "submissive" ass-out, sway back chest out pose??.

I'm a red blooded heterosexual male, with an over-active sex drive, but I don't need this adolecent sexual fantacies BS n my comics. If that's what you read/write/draw comics for,..than your missing the point.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Marrduke says:

"second.....One of the biggest problems (MARVEL especially) is that artisis and writers are too busy putting their highschool fetish's in books, and less concerened about comming up with a good, well rounded character. It seems that no one knows what a "strong female character" means. By todays examples the typical female mold goes like this.Hot - check"spunky"/quick witted - checktatoos -check, ( bc EVERYONEhas them right?,..and the're hot right?)piercings -check (bc every girl has at least 5 right?)115 lbs, but can fight like a whirlwind and kick 3 grown men's asses -check..(seriously..when is this trend going to stop)OH,...and every pose has to be drawn in the "stripper pole"Look at the current Mrs. Marvel series. Do you REALLY need to frame the shot around her ass/tits??? Do all female characters have to stand in the "submissive" ass-out, sway back chest out pose??.I'm a red blooded heterosexual male, with an over-active sex drive, but I don't need this adolecent sexual fantacies BS n my comics. If that's what you read/write/draw comics for,..than your missing the point."

Did you really need two posts to say that? Anyway, the best contradiction to what you're saying is Big Bertha. BAM!

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zero edge

how about she-thing

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Satyrquaze

Dina-Soar anyone?

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEADPOOL

Firstly, Catwoman and Elektra aren't exactly well-known heroines... infact, they're both technically villains! Get Wonder Woman or She-Hulk, two synonymous female heroes that almost everyone knows about.

Then about sex appeal... sure, look at the women. They'e hot, busty, and in fantastic shape... they're the ideal fantasy females. But you guys are so sexist that you can't even look at the men and realize that the exact same thing is going on. They're all handsome, tall, and rippling... they're the ideal alpha males.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Satyrquaze

RAGE!!! says:

"i think jessica alba should of been electra and jennifer should have been sue storm"

I think Hollywood should cast a Blonde to play a Blonde (Sue Storm/Gwen Stacy), A Red-Head to play a Red-Head (Mary Jane). I can't think of any cases where a Brunette has not played a Brunette in a comics movie.

Octagon Freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Octagon Freak

Octagon Enigma says:

"Marrduke says:
"second.....One of the biggest problems (MARVEL especially) is that artisis and writers are too busy putting their highschool fetish's in books, and less concerened about comming up with a good, well rounded character. It seems that no one knows what a "strong female character" means. By todays examples the typical female mold goes like this.Hot - check"spunky"/quick witted - checktatoos -check, ( bc EVERYONEhas them right?,..and the're hot right?)piercings -check (bc every girl has at least 5 right?)115 lbs, but can fight like a whirlwind and kick 3 grown men's asses -check..(seriously..when is this trend going to stop)OH,...and every pose has to be drawn in the "stripper pole"Look at the current Mrs. Marvel series. Do you REALLY need to frame the shot around her ass/tits??? Do all female characters have to stand in the "submissive" ass-out, sway back chest out pose??.I'm a red blooded heterosexual male, with an over-active sex drive, but I don't need this adolecent sexual fantacies BS n my comics. If that's what you read/write/draw comics for,..than your missing the point."

Did you really need two posts to say that? Anyway, the best contradiction to what you're saying is Big Bertha. BAM!

"

Well not really. When she's not Big Bertha, she's a really hot model that pulls in money for her team.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

There are a few female characters that could be done well, it would just take a good team and a studio willing to risk it.

When you think about it, its not only comics that have that bias. How many crime films give top billing to a lady? Or action (which technically includes comic books), horror, scifi, comedy, or childrens. Even a romantic comedy tends to share with the guy and a girl. They are out there, they are a minority though.