UPDATE: DOCTOR STRANGE REVIEWS ARE IN!!!!

• 64 results
CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaptainSalt
No Caption Provided

So far not a single negative review. Doctor Strange seems to be another sure fire Marvel hit.

TOMATOMETER

90% Average Rating:7.3/10 Reviews Counted:221 Fresh:199 Rotten:22

Critics Consensus: Doctor Strange artfully balances its outré source material against the blockbuster constraints of the MCU, delivering a thoroughly entertaining superhero origin story in the bargain.

AUDIENCE SCORE

91% liked it Average Rating:4.3/5 User Ratings:62,041

Scott Derrickson'snewest movie, Doctor Strange is almost here. From the first reviews and reactions it sounds like the movie definitely lives up to the hype. There's plenty to like for Stephen Strange fans - the casting (especially Tilda Swinton's The Ancient One and, of course, Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange). Reviewers also praise "some really cool visuals". There is also complaining about "Marvel's familiar formula",but the media also notice that it's the 14 (14!) MCU movie. Check out a handful of reviews below.

It's obvious why they hired a big time star like Cumberbatch, because Doctor Strange is here to guide us throught the next decade of Marvel movies, just like Downey did in the last decade. Doctor Strange is basically a reboot of Iron Man, only with a lot more prettier things to look at while you're stoned. It's a good strategy. And it works.

Source: http://uproxx.com/movies/doctor-strange-review/

Despite its otherworldly set pieces and plot points, Doctor Strange tells a familiar, down-to-Earth tale. People seek out magic of the Mystic Arts when they're at their lowest low, searching for physical and emotional healing after all other hope has been lost. Strange, of course, only seeks answers from the East.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/23/13366622/doctor-strange-review

No Caption Provided

The performances are consistently engaging: Cumberbatch remains charming and quippy whether he's full of himself or learning to let go and face his fear, Swinton puts her otherworldly qualities to great use, and Rachel McAdams (as Strange's former and maybe future gilfriend) provides a much-needed degree of groundedness to the bizarre goings-on. Mikkelsen is sadly underutilized, but his conflicts with Strange allow TV fans a long-waited Hannibal vs. Sherlock match-up.

Source: http://www.thewrap.com/doctor-strange-review-benedict-cumberbatch-mcu/

Provoking all this time-and-space jumping about is the theft by a cartain Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen) of some key pages from The Ancient One's most hole text relating to entry into the Dark Dimension, something we're to take pn good authority is not advisable. To his credit, director Scott Derrickson (Deliver Us From Devil, Sinister and, lest we forget, the ill-advised The Day the Earth Stood Still remake) navigates through a different zones with a fair degree of actual coherence, and delivers the entire package with evident ease and some flair.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/doctor-strange-review-940709

No Caption Provided

The film's greatest accomplishment by the end it that it successfully expands the scope of the MCU. That inclusion of this kind of magic and powers on the level seen here and unlike anything introduced into this universe so far and idea of seeing Strange interact with the other Marvel heroes moving forward is very exciting.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/23/doctor-strange-review

Yes, this new project shares the same look, and fancy corporate sheen as the rest of Marvel's rapidly expanding Avengers portfolio, but it also boasts and underlying originality and freshness missing from the increasingly cookie-cutter comic-book realm of late. From this second-tier side character, the studio has created a thrilling existential dilemma in which its flawed hero's personal search for purpose dovetails beautifully with forays into the occult New Age realm of magic and sorcery where Doctor Strange ultimately finds his calling.

Source: http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/doctor-strange-review-marvel-studios-1201895862/

No Caption Provided

Derrickson has rounded up a deep cast of tried-and-true thespians. Ejiofor gives Mordo, a warrior who saves the rookie magic man, an earnest quality but also some gravitas for future adventures. As the Ancient One, Swinton adds sass, emotional depth and a little frailty to the wise-warrior archetype. Her performance will wipe away any remaining concerns about the character the Asian man of the comics. And with Cumberbatch as a fellow who's perfectly Strange, this Doctor is down to leave you spellbound.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/10/23/review-doctor-strange-movie/92485856/

A movie about a forward-thinking man who is deeply afraid of failure, Doctor Strange can be seen as something of a self-portrait for the studio that produced it - it might even be more fun to think of it in that context, as the risk takes by the story's thinly sketched superhero are endowed with the weight and history of the many-tentacled mythos that we've been watching Marvel unpack for almost decade. This is most exciting addition to their ever-expanding universe since "The Avengers".

Source: http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/doctor-strange-review-marvel-benedict-cumberbatch-tilda-swinton-mads-mikkelsen-1201739205/

I loved Dr Strange and think it is among the very best Marvel films to date. The incredible action sequences, a charming, funny lead, and some of the coolest visualization of magic ever put on screen make it an easy movie to recommend to comic book fans and move fans alike.

Source: http://comicbook.com/2016/10/23/review-doctor-strange-one-of-the-very-best-marvel-films-to-date/

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The first 14 review being positive is a excellent sign!...Yay...And John Schnepp loving it is just icing on the cake.

No Caption Provided

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Strange is a great movie. Marvel has ended comic films on a high note.

No Caption Provided

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring it on.

No Caption Provided

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah.

The first 14 review being positive is a excellent sign!...Yay...And John Schnepp loving it is just icing on the cake.

No Caption Provided

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC getting rustled again!

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wrucebayne

WTF ROTTEN TOMATOES R SO BIASED. BVS SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THOSE REVIEWS.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Battle123axe

@wrucebayne said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

DSB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay ..

Reviews are DEFINITELY Paid to give positive reviews .. just proves it now

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrucebayne said:

No Caption Provided

i love these. lol

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsb said:

Okay ..

Well since WB has been bought by AT&T they can afford to pay as well though if their movies continue to be like BvS that might bankrupt them.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

As expected.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0c8d423f980
deactivated-5a0c8d423f980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no this can't be praised critics are biased (sarcastic)

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#CriticsSoBiased

MICKEY-MOUSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

This thread is just as horrible as I thought.

DC fans getting angry and screaming biased.

Marvel fans trolling with lame memes...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsb said:

Okay ..

Image result for conspiracy theorist

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Amazing.

Do you know my only problem with this, though? The high amount of fanfics coming featuring Stephen with an OC character in a relationship. Back off, b*tches.

Clea is the only true pairing and OTP here.

Deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Deathstroke52

I knew it was going to have good visuals, but I didn't know they were going to be praised as hard as they are. Definitely seeing this in IMAX.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool beans

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

manny_int

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inb4 Doomsday vs Dr Strange

Jen_9027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Jen_9027

That's cool

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is just as horrible as I thought.

DC fans getting angry and screaming get biased.

Marvel fans trolling with lame memes...

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@dsb said:

Okay ..

Because they on average give it a rating closer to the Incredible Hulk(6.2/10) than the Dark Knight(8.6/10)...?

Leo-343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Although I find these reviews pleasing, this is the Internet and I'm required to start shit and be pissed off and bitch for no reason, so why is Dr Strange cast as another white male? Is Hollywood racism so ingrained in the system that casting an ethnic minority is beyond them? They clearly haven't checked their privilege. From what I've heard this character isn't gay or transgender either? This is 2016, people. They didn't even write Strange as a Homo-sexual or trans in order to show their progressiveness, this is unacceptable. I'll be going on Tumblr to rant about this in further detail.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deathstroke52:

Ikr?! The way the visuals are being praised is really surprising me. It's like Marvel finds a way to make every movie stand out.

Never thought I'd this pumped to see a Doctor Strange movie.

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_nomarch: I don't think I'll ever get tired of those Chris Evans gifs.

Gazool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gazool

Inb4 Dr strange vs dceu trinity.

Honestly though,this movie looks visually amazing! Good to see a CBM get good reviews.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Jgames

It seem like it will follow the Marvel formula, but will be visually a stunning movie compare to the others, so overall I am guessing I will love the movie, but at the same time be somewhat irritated by the tropes if Dr.Strange villain suck. Come on Marvel, we need one good superhero villain.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: If what I've been hearing is correct, don't get your hopes up on a strong/developed Villian ?

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: If what I've been hearing is correct, don't get your hopes up on a strong/developed Villian ?

Well then hopefully the movie feel different and unique similar to Guardian of the Galaxy that it can over come the blatant weakness Marvel movies seem to have and are repeating.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: That's what I'm hoping too. It's got a great cast and looks amazing visually, so I'm hoping those other areas will compensate for the lacking villain category. I'm hoping it's bad intel, but it seems to be a common complaint from the non-spoiler reviews I've seen. Not surprising tho if it's true. ...I'm really just stoked we're getting a FRACK'IN Doc Strange movie at the end of the day

JokerBat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. Can't wait to see it.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rogueshadow  Moderator

Cool, probably gonna see it tomorrow, I hope it's good.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the average rating is slowly getting higher. it went from 6.5 to 7.2. it will keep getting higher the more reviews come in.

No Caption Provided

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: That's what I'm hoping too. It's got a great cast and looks amazing visually, so I'm hoping those other areas will compensate for the lacking villain category. I'm hoping it's bad intel, but it seems to be a common complaint from the non-spoiler reviews I've seen. Not surprising tho if it's true. ...I'm really just stoked we're getting a FRACK'IN Doc Strange movie at the end of the day

To be fair at least they chose a very obscure character to be the villain that way if he isn't all that good it really don't take away from a potentially good foe. Sort of how Ronan and Malekith were wasted.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't Wait. I am going to see in a few hours

StormShadow_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Cape scene alone sold me

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazahs117 said:

To be fair at least they chose a very obscure character to be the villain that way if he isn't all that good it really don't take away from a potentially good foe. Sort of how Ronan and Malekith were wasted.

Yeah, but the problem is that we keep getting weak villain with more or less generic story changed enough to look new. I want Marvel to surprise me instead of oh yeah I already knew I like that and that, but will hate that. Well whatever I just judge the movie once it come out.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rogueshadow  Moderator

It was awesome, I really enjoyed it. Mikkelsen was wasted unless they do what I think they might do with him in the future.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: How in the name of Zeus' butthole did they manage to do that *smh*, an actor of his caliber.....Oh well, doesn't change anything that we all really knew I guess. Hype levels are still at 9000 for me.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

As good as Dr Strange sounds, the unfortunate consensus I seem to be getting from most reviews is that it's another rehash of Iron Man and the villains keep sucking. Damn shame Marvel seem to indulge in repeating themselves. Still, it's out in the UK at the moment so I guess I have to go and see it for myself.