• 151 results
Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#1 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3839 posts) - - Show Bio

So, by now I'm sure that everyone reading this has seen Wonder Woman. The movie is a breakthrough for the DCEU, and is very good overall. However, people are seriously overrating it. I mean that they are calling it best movie of the year, comparing to movies like The Dark Knight, and I've even heard some people say that it is the best comic book movie of all time.

So, I have decided to break down the flaws of Wonder Woman. Be mindful that I enjoyed this movie quite a lot, and think it was an amazing movie overall. But, no movie is without flaws. I will organize the flaws into different sections, and certain points may overlap multiple times, as they may be related.

Feel free t-ho tag me and tell me flaws I missed, or things that I mentioned that may not be flaws at all. Don't dismiss the flaws as irrelevant or nitpicking without and evidence, either.

The Flaws

1: The Entire Third Act

From the beginning of the movie, Diana begins her character's arc. She starts as a young, ignorant girl that soon becomes a mature adult warrior. However, she still has learned nothing of men and in many ways is still quite ignorant. Everyone seems to tell her that men are not to be trusted. Diana ignores the constant scolding of the Amazonians, and escapes with Steve Trevor. She is very out of her element when she arrives to London, setting up the "fish out of water" theme for Diana.

She eventually starts to learn more about men, and with each encounter she learns more about their true nature. However, despite what everyone tells her, she still blames Ares for the malicious nature of men. She wants to blame one individual for the war that killed millions, to simplify the conflict. When she killed the General that she thought was Ares, and the fighting didn't cease, she was heartbroken. Of course, Steve knew all along that men were malicious, as he grew up in the real world. Diana's realization makes for a great character arc, and had the film ended there, or had Diana saved Steve and stopped the poison, the movie would be near-perfect. The realization makes way for a deeper and more tragic ending, and a more realistic one as well.

But NO. That had to have a huge CGI boss battle at the end. When the real Ares was revealed, the film effectively destroyed the themes and arcs that it attempted to set up. Ares WAS behind the war all along! They tried to make it look like Ares didn't full-on control men, ("I only suggest") but this fell flat on its face as well. It is so incredibly obvious that he was behind it all, and many details point to this. For example, the Germans and British soldiers hug each other and laugh as if they were family once Ares dies. WHAT?! There are so many problems with this detail. First, they just witnessed a giant magical CGI monster fight a woman... they should be afraid and confused! Second, why are they hugging?! They don't know each other. They are enemies, and Ares dying does not change that. They should AT LEAST be pointing rifles at each other out of the fear that the enemies would kill them and their friends. But hugging? Way over the top.

And it isn't like the hugging detail is needed to ruin the movie. Without it, the entire arc still dies. Ares is still clearly behind men, by "whispering thoughts into their heads." His statement seems like a lie overall. The scene also felt out of place visually. A giant CGI battle, complete with magic, lightning, explosions, and cheesy exposition by the evil villain. It made no sense. Dr. Poison appears out of nowhere, and Diana must kill her? Why?! She had already been slaughtering many apparently innocent soldiers (who are simply doing their jobs, and are under Ares' control...) so I don't see why killing ANOTHER evil villain would hurt. Diana's character wouldn't change a bit as a result.

And then we have Ares, the old general that was (SURPRISE!) actually a villain all along. That twist was so predictable. In fact, I even told myself when I saw him "he looks evil, I can tell..." secretly in my head. Was anyone surprised at all? I doubt it. Ares had no clear or justified intentions, either. It's like he was simply evil from the start. Then Ares talks a whole lot (flashback included!) and it seems so cliche. Wait, WHY is he in his old-man 1910s disguise when he falls from Olympus? Why isn't he a badass monster, or AT LEAST some buff young god-like guy?! Why exactly is he controlling man? Wait, he's trying to show Zeus that his creation was imperfect, right? Then WHY is he controlling men and making them fight each other? That isn't proving ANYTHING. Overall, his intentions were poorly written and I couldn't relate to him at all. Moreover, the fight was just out of place in general. The movie so far felt like a somewhat serious war movie, and it was also giving me a very realistic vibe. Then, in only 2-3 minutes, in looks like Patty Jenkins copy-and-pasted a scene from an Avengers or Transformers movie. The CGI battle had too much magic and explosions that it felt way out of place. These scenes are all fine and dandy in an Avengers movie, because the movie already has an unrealistic and light-hearted feel. However, Wonder Woman didn't need an over-the-top CGI boss battle. The tone when she fought the General seemed reasonable enough, and a prolonged hand to hand fight would be fine. However, explosions and lightning are more appropriate in a Michael Bay movie. And that's what it felt like. The tone was thrown off because of the fight.

2: The Atrocious Villains

Wonder Woman's villains are terrible, to say the least. The movie has three main villains, and they all had their flaws.

• Ares: I said it earlier and I'll say it now. Ares was awful, and his character made no sense. He looked really strange for a villain. And old man wearing armor? Why can't he change his appearance to appear more... you know... menacing. The least they could have done was have him turn into a giant, god-like, buff warrior. But of course, just give him some armor. Think I'm nitpicking? Well, apparently he looked like that falling down from Olympus as well! Why? Don't know. Undercover as a general, Ares had a great look. He looked like he was from the 1910s. But, as a badass evil god? He looked more like Alfred the Butler than Ares, even with the armor on. Now, appearance isn't everything. Sadly, Ares fails at everything else as well. The reveal that they made was SO predictable and not surprising at all. I saw it coming in the first scene of his introduction. And then we have his decision making and motivation. WHY would Ares reveal himself? He wanted to turn Diana to his side (so incredibly cliche) but I'm not buying that. You want to approach the ONLY person that can kill you, and have her help you? WHY?! Just stay hidden, and continue to manipulate men. And, also, he did a terrible job at convincing her. YOU'RE A VILLAIN. LIE! If I was Ares, I would be lying my ass off to Diana. He admitted to manipulating the minds of men (why wouldn't he manipulate Diana, he totally gave himself away) and told the true story. He should have denied that he ever controlled a man. He should have made Zeus the villain... act like the Amazonians lied to her. I could go on and on, but it matters little. When he told Diana his story (because we totally needed more exposition. And yes, there was a flashback.) I couldn't get behind his motivation. I didn't understand why he was controlling men, or why he tried to take the power of Zeus for himself. He seemed to be evil because the plot demanded it.

• The General: I know he had a last name (starts with an L I believe) but he was so boring and immemorable that I forget what it was. This guy wanted to be Hitler SO BAD. Give him Hitler's mustache already! And then you have his German soldiers. They wanted to be Nazis so bad! I swear, I don't care if Captain America: The First Avenger was in World War 2. Either make the movie's setting WW2, or make the characters act like it is set in WW1. The General is pure evil, and for no reason. Pure evil villains aren't very compelling. For them to be compelling, they have to be scary (not horror movie type scary, but threatening.) Carnage and Joker are great examples. They are just insanely evil psychopaths. And yet, they are still amazing villains. They are threatening enough to make you feel tension when something involving the villain happens. The General was pure evil, with no motivation, and he wasn't threatening. I realize that Ares was controlling him, but that makes him even less interesting. He became another useless forgettable pawn in Ares' plan.

• Dr. Poison: This lady had REAL potential. Steve's dance with Dr. Poison gave more insight on the character of Dr. Maru, but not enough. She was too evil in other scenes, and that dance didn't make up for it in the least. She was so close to becoming a compelling character, but she wasn't. Two scenes ruined this. First we have the scene where they gas the general in one room. This scene showed how evil they were, and it wasn't even necessary. They killed them all, and then through in a gas mask for them to fight over despite the inevitable death. It was an okay scene until the point when they said "They don't even know the mask won't work! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" Of course the laugh was a cliche evil laugh as well. That scene only displayed the useless evil character of Dr. Poison. And then you have the scene with Ares and Dr. Poison, when she appears in the midst of the awful CGI fight. I just kept wondering what is she doing here? Why does Diana need to kill her? How does this reveal anything about Wonder Woman's character? SHE IS ALREADY A MURDERER ARES! SHE ALREADY KILLED SOLDIERS MULTIPLE TIMES! Dr. Poison had no place in that scene. Furthermore, that scene took away from her true evil self, like the movie couldn't decide if she was human or evil. She DESERVED to die, but she survived because... Wonder Woman chooses love? (Despite killing several soldiers, and these are innocent men drafted for war. They have families, they have friends, and apparently they were under the influence of Ares. Very loving of you Diana.)

You can't deny it. The villains were on a cartoonish level of evil.

3: Romance

Chris Pine and Gal Gadot have wonderful chemistry, I'll admit that. However, the characters of Steve Trevor and Diana Prince DO NOT have any chemistry whatsoever. The love felt so forced and out of place. This would be forgivable, if not for their one night stand. Now, allow me to explain. Early on in the movie, it is established that Diana is very old-fashioned and formal. She doesn't understand that Steve cannot sleep on the bed he made her, and throughout the movie she is quite unaccustomed to the ways of humans in the 1910s. It seems very unlikely that she would fall for Steve at any point in the movie, and it seems more likely that she would humiliate him with rejection. Likewise, Steve Trevor is from the 1910s. Back then one night stands were unheard of, and premarital sex was flat out unacceptable. Now, Steve clearly has feelings for Diana. What isn't clear is why he would sleep with her. His culture is VERY old-fashioned. During WW1 things were not like it was today. Most people didn't bat an eye when Diana and Steve slept with each other (I assume) because today that is very culturally acceptable. However, the movie isn't in 2017. It is is the 1910s, and Steve Trevor even says on the boat that it isn't acceptable for a man and a woman to sleep together outside of marriage. It just doesn't add up at all. Diana doesn't seem like she'd fall for Steve, and Steve doesn't seem like he'd sleep with Diana.

And then there's the sacrificial death of Steve Trevor. After telling Diana that he loves her he climbs in a plane and blows himself up. Not sad at all, because it was predictable. I actually liked Pine's character, but the death felt too cliche and predictable to be meaningful in any way. Had he been unexpectedly shot, I'd feel sad. However, they foreshadowed the death far too much. I knew Steve was going to die once he inaudibly talked to Diana, because it seemed like that was the only reason they'd include such a scene. And then 10 minutes before his death, Trevor has this obvious look on his face as you know he's making a suicide plan. Just another reason for Wonder Woman to feel guilty and sad, I guess. How cliche.

Overall, the movie was a good movie. Best DCEU movie yet, but it doesn't even come close to most of the other greatcomic book movies that have come out. Comparing it to movies like The Dark Knight is ridiculous, they are in completely different leagues.

What do you guys think? Do you disagree? Tell me why please!

#3 Posted by ASGARDIANBRONY (11629 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespartanb345t: i actually havent seen it yet. it was only in 3D at my theater which i dont like.

#4 Posted by GIliad_ (6629 posts) - - Show Bio

Imperfect? Certainly. Overrated? Probably. Agree or disagree? Partially agree

#5 Edited by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't really seen too many people call it perfect. I think MoS is a much better movie. Pretty much the main thing that critics loved is that it beat the whole "hope and love" message over their heads repeatedly. Besides overrating comic movies is nothing new. Over 50% of the stuff Marvel puts out is pretty average.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#6 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (14803 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies are subjective, if majority of people are rating it on a certain level then there's not much we can do.

#7 Posted by Farkam (11983 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman's hype is bewildering to me. Even though I think Logan is overrated I can at least comprehend the hype, meanwhile Wonder Woman is a painfully average modern CBM (with a lot of glaring flaws).

#8 Posted by Whitewolf24 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Who in their right minds got time to write all this lol it's a movie bro get a life the movie is not perfect it's a decent movie and one of the better origin stories which usually suck

Avatar image for phoenixdiamond616
#9 Edited by phoenixdiamond616 (1616 posts) - - Show Bio

Who in their right minds got time to write all this lol it's a movie bro get a life the movie is not perfect it's a decent movie and one of the better origin stories which usually suck

#10 Posted by jay_z94 (7906 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. It's a good CBM, but definitely overrated with some flaws.

#11 Posted by jay_z94 (7906 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a comic book site. People have their own opinions and have the right to talk about whatever they want. You ever heard of a movie review before?

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#12 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31121 posts) - - Show Bio

Second, why are they hugging?! They don't know each other. They are enemies, and Ares dying does not change that. They should AT LEAST be pointing rifles at each other out of the fear that the enemies would kill them and their friends. But hugging? Way over the top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_and_let_live_(World_War_I)

#13 Posted by Clamps (389 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#14 Posted by EcstaticGrace (6947 posts) - - Show Bio

I still haven't seen the movie 😔😭

#15 Posted by lestrange (322 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan is Overrated and Far From Perfect

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
#16 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (2324 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, sounds like an MCU fanboy is hurt that WW is better than he thought it would be.

#17 Posted by lestrange (322 posts) - - Show Bio

@

The Atrocious Villains - > you are confusing MCU villain's with DCEU'S .

#18 Posted by ChildoftheAtom (935 posts) - - Show Bio

Two points for your opinion

#19 Edited by Ouroborik (3156 posts) - - Show Bio

You should do one of these for CIvil War, now THAT would be nice.

On-topic, I completely agree that the evil general was beyond atrocious and Dr Poison had a lot of undeveloped potential.

Still a pretty good, yet overrated, movie, much like The Avengers lol.

#20 Posted by Gotoucanario (2900 posts) - - Show Bio

No one is saying the movie is perfect lol.

#21 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

@

Loki > Lex Luthor/Doomsday/Dr.Poison/The General/Ares/Zod/Enchantress.

#22 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12026 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not overrated (IMO), I've personally come across no one claiming this to be "TDK" level in terms of impact or quality…and while it doesn't bother me as much as it does you, I agree the villains were lacking, which is not typical for DC movies. As the for the whole killing "Ares and stopping the war thing", there certainly can be some confusion with that I agree too. On one hand Wondy kills Ares and the film makes it seem like "the God of War is dead and everything is happy now", however Diana specifically states in Batman v Superman that she walked away from the world of men, and makes a statement that the 20th century was a century of horrors, which clearly indicates other terrible things that would have occurred after Ares death (WW2, Vietnam, uber violence etc...) that Diana did not want to participate in, and that man is NOT entirely influenced by Ares. …bad writing?…or perhaps we are jumping the gun, and there's more story to be told on Wondy in either Justice League or a solo sequel?…idk, take your pick *shrugs* …as far as I'm concerned, Wonder Woman gets praise and works because it shows that WB/DC is capable of making a DCEU movie that is competently put together, with character(s) that the majority of the audience grew to care about and like.

A perfect movie it is not, Hell it's not even the best cbm this year, for me that title still goes to LOGAN (which is NOT perfect either). Wondy had great action, was paced/edited well (something the DCEU has struggled with of late), a main protagonist that the audience majority like(d) and looked great visually with the exception of a few spotty scenes.…all wrapped up with this being a debut solo film for one of the most important female characters in fiction, directed by a female, that was/is extremely successful when there was a lot of skepticism if it would work in the first place…that's why there's a lot of buzz about the film IMHO, not that it's a perfect film because it isn't…but it sure as Hell hit all the right notes WB/DC needed it to hit for what they are trying to do with the DCEU

#23 Posted by Chimeroid (9183 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespartanb345t: i will post as i am reading. Blog started well. Very wrong in regards to thebgeneral.

#24 Posted by Chimeroid (9183 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespartanb345t: their romance was awesomely done. Literally everyone but you gets it. You also seem to not know what "old fashioned " means and people did have premarital sex even back in the early 20th century.

#25 Edited by Asgaard (4348 posts) - - Show Bio

It is overrated, i find that slow-motion 10 years outdated and Steve reactions to the Greek Gods fantastical not organic at all, he should be a lot more amazed, in fact the worldbuilding was really average...

I see a lot of movies, and basically know how the movie medium works, Wonder Woman is a good movie (and that always will be good for the genre, female lead, and movie audiences that go to movie theaters to watch good movies) but we should not pretend (or be that naive) to think that the lead (gender) was not a variable in the success of this movie, specially in the US...

But why should be a preoccupation if it was good for the genre and the gender lead? First because the standards should be the same, but most importantly because a free pass around cbmovies with female lead can create some kind of bubble effect, and when someone notice (and has the courage to say it) we are back again with Ghostbusters 2016.......

#26 Posted by PenguinDust (8507 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't everything overrated and underrated in this modern internet age? Like the old gods, media, personalities and movements exist to be lauded and then torn down. How fickle we've all become.

#27 Edited by destinyman75 (13598 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree Ares wse horridly done, and the fact that all the people were not afraid and then turned into hippies in the end didn't make sense. Dr poison likewise had potential and even though she was better defined then Ares she still lacked luster just was missing something.

I did really love the movie overall and agree it's the one if the best since TDK but these are legitimate beefs that I also

#28 Edited by Chris-Sama (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer said:
@lestrange said:

@

Loki > Lex Luthor/Doomsday/Dr.Poison/The General/Ares/Zod/Enchantress.

Yep^ 100% agree with citizen only good villian from dceu is Amanda Waller and maybe zod. And Loki still stomps both of them

#29 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer: Loki is nowhere close to being on the level of Zod or Faora

#30 Posted by FangDaNerd (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

@righteous300: What did faora do to make for a better villain than loki?

#31 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@fangdanerd: convinced me that she was a threat that needed to be taken seriously

#32 Edited by FangDaNerd (1488 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@fangdanerd: Faora had presence when she came on to the screen. As someone that wasn't even the main villain she had much more of an impact than the average Marvel villain. Sure Loki was a "fun" villain, but that's pretty much it. He never actually sold me on the threat at hand. Honestly pretty forgettable if it wasn't for the fact he appeared in other movies

#34 Posted by FangDaNerd (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

@righteous300: Faora literally had no character, what was even her morals?

#35 Posted by EcstaticGrace (6947 posts) - - Show Bio

@fangdanerd: Faora had presence when she came on to the screen. As someone that wasn't even the main villain she had much more of an impact than the average Marvel villain. Sure Loki was a "fun" villain, but that's pretty much it. He never actually sold me on the threat at hand. Honestly pretty forgettable if it wasn't for the fact he appeared in other movies

I'm backing this. I prefer MCU heroes and their ideals more but DCEU takes the cake in regards to villains. Loki came off as one of the comedic relief characters more then much of a threat. The threat in the first Avengers movie was honestly the Chitauri

#36 Edited by lestrange (322 posts) - - Show Bio

And loki was a good villain ? lol .. It was a caricature. Especially in the avengers. What loki even did ? nothing.. im loki of asgard yada yada yada.... yawn..

i'd put Doc Ock (sony's) way ahead of Loki..

Now, kneel before zod.

#37 Edited by FangDaNerd (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

So? Enchantress, Doomsday, Joker, Ares, Dr. Poison, Incubus, Lex are all better than the MCU villains? because to me they are as bad the MCU villains aside from Lex who is pretty much did the same thing as Zemo.

#38 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@fangdanerd: Faora's motives were the same as Zod's. She was created to be a soldier and to do everything in the benefit of Krypton and it's people.

#39 Posted by FangDaNerd (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

@fangdanerd: Faora's motives were the same as Zod's. She was created to be a soldier and to do everything in the benefit of Krypton and it's people.

Keywords "Faora's motives were the same as Zod's" she has no character (Just a female zod) and how is she memorable? Zod had good and memorable lines.

#40 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@fangdanerd: How does having the same motives as someone else make that person less of a character? Just from the fights alone you could tell she had a bit of a playful attitude but still knew when to be serious, loved to fight, was cocky, and full of herself. Zod on the other hand, no nonsense, stick to the job at hand, any means necessary type of character and loyal to his people.

#41 Posted by Stormdriven (17602 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#42 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22548 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a solid 6.5/10 ( Decent/Ok, but not "good"). I'll watch it on TBS/TNT in a couple years as mostly background noise, only paying attention to the parts I really like.

#43 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3839 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid

Very wrong in regards to thebgeneral.

How so? You didn't back it up at all.

their romance was awesomely done. Literally everyone but you gets it. You also seem to not know what "old fashioned " means and people did have premarital sex even back in the early 20th century.

Awesomely done? How so? You say that I'm wrong without any bases to why.

Also, I didn't say people didn't have premarital sex in the early 20th century. I said it wasn't socially acceptable most times and this was a one night stand. They hadn't even shown any obvious sign of affection before that very day, and then they slept together. This makes no sense, ESPECIALLY considering the fact that Steve mentioned how it was unacceptable earlier in the movie. Diana clearly had a very sophisticated and strong character, she didn't look like she was falling for Trevor in the slightest in the first and second act until after the destruction of the clock tower. So, how was I wrong?

#45 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3839 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgardianbrony: I'd stray from spoilers then.

But go in with low expectations. My family saw it before me and ruined my expectations (which were low because of the DCEU's previous track record) by saying it was the best movie all year, perfect, not one flaw, etc. Had I gone in with low expectations I would have been blown away. I came out of the theater thinking "meh, it was good." That's due to the extremely high expectation I had subconsciously set earlier.

#46 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3839 posts) - - Show Bio

@whitewolf24:

If you read the whole post I can say the same to you. And this is comic vine, so you should already know what the people here are like, if you have 47 posts.

#47 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3839 posts) - - Show Bio

@lestrange: Logan is overrated? A small bit. Far from perfect? Every movie is. Why mention Logan when it has NOTHING to do with this post at all.

And yes this movie has bad villains, don't even mention the MCU because it has NOTHING to do with a DCEU movie. It's not like we can't enjoy both of the movie franchises and criticize both. I swear this rivalry is so unnecessary and ridiculous at this point.

#48 Posted by FangDaNerd (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

@fangdanerd: How does having the same motives as someone else make that person less of a character? Just from the fights alone you could tell she had a bit of a playful attitude but still knew when to be serious, loved to fight, was cocky, and full of herself. Zod on the other hand, no nonsense, stick to the job at hand, any means necessary type of character and loyal to his people.

Loading Video...

Because that someone had actual memorable lines and she doesn't, also from what I've seen she seems like a servant than anything else or atleast soldier that follow orders and I mean if you're going to have the same motives atleast give her more lines with this "playful" and "cocky" attitude you speak of.

#49 Posted by lestrange (322 posts) - - Show Bio

@lestrange: Logan is overrated? A small bit. Far from perfect? Every movie is. Why mention Logan when it has NOTHING to do with this post at all.

And yes this movie has bad villains, don't even mention the MCU because it has NOTHING to do with a DCEU movie. It's not like we can't enjoy both of the movie franchises and criticize both. I swear this rivalry is so unnecessary and ridiculous at this point.

Everything in comicvine is overrated dude. TDK ? overrated... WW? overrated.. Watchmen ? overrated..

#50 Edited by TheSpartanB345T (3839 posts) - - Show Bio

@mazahs117:Title was kind of clickbait :P

You haven't seen anyone comparing it to TDK? I've heard so many crazy claims all across this forum as well as Battles (why?)