Twitter Question of the Week RESULTS: What's the Saddest Moment in Comics?

• 68 results
Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TimeLordScience

Does anyone know a way that I could read the issue of Amazing Spider-Man @g_man was talking about?

david_maurer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The death of Captain Marvel was the first comic I read that made me cry. Jim Starlin was exceptional at making it both beautiful and sad in the same moment, as Mar-Vell's friends say their last goodbyes to their cancer-stricken friend.

CBattles6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman & Robin #18, and the end of Flashpoint #5.

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Nightwing4

I think we can agree that spiderman has had more than his fair share of sad moments.

Also a bit off topic but Martian Manhunter's speech at the funeral of Superman in JL's "Hereafter" episode always gives me feels.

UrbanChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When red robin didnt get an ongoing in the new 52

When scott lobdell left red hood and the outlaws and gave it to james tynion the iv

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

final issue of Sweet Tooth "this is a story"

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.....The saddest moment is AGE OF ULTRON. lol

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noj said:

The Batman and Robin silent issue after Damian died is the only comic I've ever teared up over. Truly a masterpiece.

Same.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@aros001 said:

@overlander said:

I'm in 100% agreement with Jeff. Spidey & MJ's undoing was foolish and tragic.

Complete agreement, followed by Peter Parker dying in Ock's body.

Definitely these.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@samyroc said:

The death of Ted Kord in Countdown to Infinite Crisis.

death of tim drakes dad

Elongated Man's reaction to his wife's death (Sue Dibny). This was right around the time I really started to get into comics, and that whole story actually moved me to a whimper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I'd also add Supergirl dying in COIE. Man, that image of Superman holding her dead body is iconic.

Nightcrawler dying to save Hope was also a tear jerker.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

In X-23's first solo series, there's a moment where she and her mother plan to escape Weapon X. Everything works out, they're almost of the woods, but it turns out that her mother had a vial of X's "trigger scent" splashed on her which was designed to send X into a blind, murderous rage. X smells her mother, loses control, and grievously injures her. X pleads with her mother not to die but it's too late. She's killed her own mother in this snowy, tragic setting. It's SO sad. I cried INSTANTLY.

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the saddest moments for me actually comes from Angel: After The Fall from IDW. The sad moment occurs when Wolfram and Hart give Angel a glimpse of the future showing him surrounded by dead human bodies in an Apocalyptic setting and insinuating that he pretty much went evil and caused this. I found this quite sad because it basically evoked a sense that all hope was lost for Angel and no matter how hard he tried to help the world he would always end up as a killer.

loganchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death of Batmans parents

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Death of Tim Drake's Father...just hes entire reaction and batman covering/hugging him. as Batman's narration explains how their both orphans now.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By HumanRocket

My list has too many spider man moments but

Gwen's death

Captain Stacy's death

Peters death both 616 and ultimates peters death

Spiderman Fallout at the funeral and aunt may

Peter's and MJ marriage being undone was the worset becuase of how it happened.

MajorJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By MajorJay

@blacklegraph said:

Elongated Man's reaction to his wife's death (Sue Dibny). This was right around the time I really started to get into comics, and that whole story actually moved me to a whimper.

I agree with this one!!!! one hundred percent.. i was crying like a new born lol - and the writers made it worse with the positive pregancy test

E1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man stories always resonated with me. I started to read with brand new day, so I know most of you won't agree with me, but there were some amazingly touching stories in BND.

The story where peter goes to the microverse with the FF and comes back to his real life and sees that his world continued to run without him. That really crushed me, the feeling of not having control over your life, of being too late to make a difference.

Another amazing story was the one where Rhino, after himself, sees his Girlfriend, who helped him getting better, dyning "because" of his good actions. Spider-man also deems himself responsible for her death. It's pretty much the same idea : sometimes life does not go as you want it to, regardless of your efforts.

iSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

Thas was mine i felt so sad poor logan.

uncanny x-force 34

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By fodigg

The most recent superhero book that got me was probably Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?Some of the reflections were so perfect. And the way it provided different endings and slowly built toward abstraction was brilliant. It was truly a love letter to the character.

No Caption Provided

Also, the classic moment between Superman and his "son" in For the Man Who Has Everythingwas brutal. (Similar to the House of M Spider-Man moment.) The Justice Leaguecartoon adaptation was very true to that moment I thought:

Loading Video...

Ah hell, I shouldn't have watched that. Should've just linked it and not watched. Oh man.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I missed this on Twitter. The two that I can think of off of the top of my head are both Morrison books, strangely enough. The last issue of Morrison's Batman run. That panel where Bruce is standing alone in the cave and tells bat-cow and Alfred the cat to shut up was pretty powerful to me not only as a send off to Damien, but Morrison's Batman story as a whole. Batman is forever, but only at great cost.

The other is the end of his and Sean Murphy's Vertigo mini-series Joe the Barbarian. When Joe finds the hidden letter from his dad, I legitimately teared up. It was one of the first comics to do that to me. Although, now that I'm getting married and stuff, I've turned into a hopeless sap and it doesn't take much to put a lump in my throat.