true or false: marvel has more popular characters than DC comics?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By THORSON
Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Matchstick

Depends on how you look at it. If you're judging by the general public, then DC has more popular characters. If your talking amongst comic fans, then I'd have to say Marvel.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Online

@Matchstick said:

Depends on how you look at it. If you're judging by the general public, then DC has more popular characters. If your talking amongst comic fans, then I'd have to say Marvel.

Backwards?

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Matchstick

@Mr_Ingenuity said:

@Matchstick said:

Backwards?

Maybe in your opinion.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Hazlenaut

Dc has difficulty selling characters that are not Batman or Superman. They are their poster boys. They have not taken that many jumps yet. True they have TV series did take risk like Brave and the Bold but it took batman to do it. The dc nation was their opportunity but one thing left to another and well… I am not saying marvel is perfect but when looking for characters that gain attention. Let me put a video of itsjustsomerandomguy to put some lighting

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jobbernos

DC has more iconic characters most of marvel's characters only got popular due to their films.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

DC has bigger names that non-comic book fans will recognize.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

I'd say that's true in the US.

Worldwide, I'd say it's false.

RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

Marvel has been able to market a lot of their characters but DC is probably most known worldwide.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By owie  Moderator

I think Superman and Batman edge out Spider-Man and Hulk as the two most-known characters from both companies.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By tomlikesfries

Most non-comic book readers know more of DC characters like Batman or Superman.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By cameron83

@Matchstick said:

This

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#13  Edited By Deadcool

@jobbernos said:

DC has more iconic characters most of marvel's characters only got popular due to their films.

But DC characters are known and iconic just because the cartoons, films and toys.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By coolguyr99

Marvel characters are more popular with non-comic book fans.

Vouile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vouile

Super-man and Batman are the top two most popular superheroes owned by DC comics, while Spider-man comes under them.

I would have to say DC comics, because they are more ancient of a company with more well-known and popular characters.

Vouile

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By moywar700

People know Superman,Batman, and Wonder Woman.Celebrities like Kim Kardashian or Eminem have referenced them in their songs or dressed up as them.Those people wouldn't pick a comic a day in their lives or watch the recents cartoons of them.

People know Superman,Batman,Robin,Wonder Woman,and The Joker.

Catwoman,The Flash, and Aquaman to the lesser extent.Even The Flash was more well known then Thor before his Film.

People sometimes dressed up like the flash in Marathon races.I bet they are familiar with the phrase "fast as the flash."

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tupiaz

Superman and Batman are the most well know/popular heroes. However after this DC only real has Wonder Woman that are known outside of the world of comics. Maybe some will mention Flash, Green Lantern but before this wolverine, Spider-man, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America would have been mention before. At the moment I would say without Superman and especially Batman DC wouldn't be that famous outside comic circles, at least not in here in Denmark. Marvel has a longer list of popular/famous characters where DC have few but more popular. So yeah I would say that Marvel has more popular characters than DC, where C has the two most popular characters.

RumbleMan_Exe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RumbleMan_Exe

Plebs and casuals always mention Batman whenever I hit the bookstores

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fps_dean

I think it may be true if you do not count the most famous two characters, Superman and Batman. Marvel may have a higher number of popular characters overall.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I think it's true any way you cut it. People that don't read comic know alot more Marvel characters than they do DC and people who read comics favor Marvel characters more often.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Blood1991

Batman is the most popular comic character in existence, but worldwide among readers and non-readers I think the Avengers would be more popular then Wonder Woman and Superman as characters simply, because they are icons that people recognize, but know nothing about.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I'd say Marvel has more variety in popularity, especially since the Avengers film, but Superman and Batman are probably the most popular comic characters. The other DC characters fall short in popularity, such as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and the Flash.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Blood1991 said:

Batman is the most popular comic character in existence, but worldwide among readers and non-readers I think the Avengers would be more popular then Wonder Woman and Superman as characters simply, because they are icons that people recognize, but know nothing about.

I don't agree. I think Superman is just as popular as Batman. I don't think you can say one is more popular than the other.
Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro: Most non comic readers only know Superman by name or from Smallville, I hope that his movie changes that, but I disagree that he is as popular as Batman, I think he is as good a character as Batman, but he doesn't have video games, movies, and cartoons to himself like Batman has.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro: Most non comic readers only know Superman by name or from Smallville

I don't know about that. Superman has appeared in popular media for years, same as Batman. My mother knows who Superman is but she's never watched Smallville. She remembers him from the films with Christopher Reeves. Other people I know who don't read comics remember him from Justice League or his own animated series and not only know his abilities but can give you general details about his character.  

@Blood1991 said:

but he doesn't have video games, movies, and cartoons to himself like Batman has.

I don't know if he has as many because I haven't counted but he definitely has several variations of all those things spread out over the course of his existence.
TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By TDK_1997

Marvel characters are only popular because of their movies.DC characters are known without those movies and stuff.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Vance Astro said:

I think it's true any way you cut it. People that don't read comic know alot more Marvel characters than they do DC and people who read comics favor Marvel characters more often.

I don't agree with that at all

Avatar image for quirky_anecdotes
quirky_anecdotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By quirky_anecdotes

Marvell all the way.

t's common sense really. Marvel has more depth. Period.

Yes Batman and Superman are probably the two most popular superheros in the world but who else do they have? Marvel has Spider-Man , The Hulk , Iron Man , Thor , Captain America , Wolverine , The Punisher , Daredevil , Ghost Rider .

The Mainstream audience doesn't care about Wonderwoman , any of the GLs , Aquaman or really the flash. They simply don't care.

Hell , just count how many big studios are willing to give Marvel movie deals as opposed to DC.

There's Three Punisher Movies and No Flash one.

The hulk alone has more movies then Wonderwoman and Aquaman combined.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Marvel has MORE popular heroes. DC has THE most popular heroes ( The Trinity).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Why not? 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@quirky_anecdotes said:

There's also 3 Blade movies and he doesn't even have a comic lol.
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Vance Astro said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Why not?

I think without the recent movie you would be hard pressed to find non comic fans that knew Marvel characters outside Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
They have "more" popular characters number wise, but DC's are more popular.  I.E Bats and Supes.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I think without the recent movie you would be hard pressed to find non comic fans that knew Marvel characters outside Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine.

I think alot of people knew who The Punisher,Ghost Rider,The X-Men,and the Fantastic Four were before they had films. 
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Vance Astro said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I think alot of people knew who The Punisher,Ghost Rider,The X-Men,and the Fantastic Four were before they had films.

outside of America I don't think thats true where as Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Superman, Supergirl, Superboy, The Flash, Wonder Woman are all known the world over

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jobbernos

@Deadcool said:

@jobbernos said:

But DC characters are known and iconic just because the cartoons, films and toys.

same for marvel. yet DC was and still is more popular and iconic, while marvel just recently got popular.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Jonny_Anonymous said:

outside of America I don't think thats true where as Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Superman, Supergirl, Superboy, The Flash, Wonder Woman are all known the world over

I wouldn't know. I've only lived in 2 countries. I was mostly talking about America because that's the only country I can vouch for. 
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Magian  Online

@JediXMan said:

DC has bigger names that non-comic book fans will recognize.

This. Although Marvel's recent successfull movies might have changed things a but now.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jobbernos

@Blood1991 said:

actually most people know everything about superman from his kryptonian name to his human name and his kryptonian symbol, costume, theme song, and his weakness to kyrptonite.

@quirky_anecdotes said:

Marvell all the way.

Yes Batman and Superman are probably the two most popular superheros in the world but who else do they have? Marvel has Spider-Man , The Hulk , Iron Man , Thor , Captain America , Wolverine , The Punisher , Daredevil , Ghost Rider .

The Mainstream audience doesn't care about Wonderwoman , any of the GLs , Aquaman or really the flash. They simply don't care.

Hell , just count how many big studios are willing to give Marvel movie deals as opposed to DC.

iron man? thor? punisher? daredevil? ghost rider? nobody knows them... iron man got more popular due to his recent films but punisher, ghost rider, and daredevil? are unknown to the world.

and all the hulks movies flopped nobody really cares about hulk. same for punisher they all flopped as well...

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Bruxae

More popular characters, no, more characters that are popular, yes.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By briangsharon

I would argue that no one character (other than Wolverine) is popular in Marvel than any of the major DC characters.

Iron man perhaps, but this is due to the strength of his films and the kick start he gave to the avengers franchise.

If you put the Hulk/Captain America/Cyclopse vs Green Lantern/Flash/Wonder Woman/ I think you pretty much end up in a draw or a win for DC.

(Left out Spiderman/Wolverine and Superman/Batman )

Again we are talking general popularity among the masses.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By briangsharon

@Vance Astro said:

I agree they know more marvel characters but its largely due to the avengers.

I will also add that in my experience (with the unknowing public / my girlfriend) I notice that Batman villains are well known and even the most well known of Marvels are not.

Case in point - People know the Joker - but Ive heard the Green Goblin called that green guy.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Med

DC writes solo heroes more than Marvel, who focuses more on teams. so DC's individual characters get better exposure (their own movies, merchandise etc.) and are therefore better known.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By xxxddd

DC has more iconic characters.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#45  Edited By Deadcool

@jobbernos said:

@Deadcool said:

@jobbernos said:

same for marvel. yet DC was and still is more popular and iconic, while marvel just recently got popular.

But DC has ages of cartoons, AGES, my childhood was shapen by DC animated universe, and even before that we got the Superfriends, Marvel never had such impact in society back then, because they never had cartoons like DC does.

Razero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Razero

In my experience it's true. Since the Avengers character's that were before obscure are now much more prominent.

Most people I know have never even heard of the Flash and Green Lantern, and know Aquaman and Wonder Women by name only. But those same people know about the Hulk, X-Men, FF, Spidey, and now The Avengers.

Iconic doesn't equal popular. So yeah, as of now Marvel characters are more popular.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@tomlikesfries: and what others? let me enlighten you. NONE OTHER! marvel has way more well known characters and teams (dont take it personally. im not pointing only at you. you're just the first that makes that false statement)

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CrimsonCake

Why hasn't anybody brought up the Teen Titans cartoon? >.>

monarch2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By monarch2016

@quirky_anecdotes said:

Marvell all the way.

couldn't be more wrong

the only marvel characters known worldwide that you listed there are hulk and spiderman

almost nobody knows who thor,captain america,punisher daredevil or ghost rider are

iron man and wolverine are a little bit known but by verry few,just a bit more than the others i listed above

anybody on this forum likes it or not,no marvel or DC characters are well known outside USA besides superman,batman(DC) siderman,hulk(marvel)

ask people outside USA about wonder women,flash,the punisher,daredevil,wolverine,flash,thor etc and 8 out 10 wont know who their are

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@baron2011: you are seriously in denial. so what you're saying is: characters that have had successful movies are less popular/known than those that havent. is that right? oh boy.