Tony Stark portrayed in the movies similar with the comics?

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean does he come off as an arrogant and charismatic ladies man in the comics aswell or is that mainly just in the live action movies that he is like that? Does Robert downey jr do comic iron man justice?

No Caption Provided

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By aquaman01

Oh yes, he does Iron Man GREAT justice. In fact, in my opinion RDJ is ten times more likable than the comic one...and yes, because of Civil War.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bflynn316

He was always a playboy in the comics, I feel like RDJ exaggerated it a tad, but I actually prefer his version. It's fairly true to the comics anyway.

StormShadow_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By StormShadow_X

His Ironman is good for what was asked of him. In other words a PG version. But his tony doesn't seem like the type to start a civil war or make profit off of it. I feel this tony is what happens when you want to make a Kid friendly franchise. He pulls of the charisma and attitude and the intellect but compared to that he isn't much like comics Ironman

Rebel_Leader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they're never going to do a Civil War movie so..

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honeslty downy has it down to a tee.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By those_eyes

Ofcourse they wont. Making Robert downeys jr ironman look like a bad guy will destroy fans. Now a world war hulk may be possible though.

FanboyAsylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie Iron Man is nothing like Comics Iron Man. I hate Movie Iron Man so much that my brain simply can't contain all of it. It's making me want to irrationally begin burning all of my Iron Man books in a blind rage. And I feel like I'm losing my damn mind because I'm the only one that can see this.

I'll put it this way, I love Comics Iron Man's personality but hate the things he does, and I hate Movie Iron Man's personality but I have to reluctantly appreciate the things he does because the filmmakers are making him out to be the type of hero that Iron Man never was and shouldn't be portrayed as.

Iron Man is at the head of the Avengers in the movies. That alone is insane. He's one of the most hated heroes in the entire Marvel universe, among the other characters, at least. And even outside of the fictional universe, most of the fans that actually read comics hate him too.

LEGACY6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie Iron Man is nothing like Comics Iron Man. I hate Movie Iron Man so much that my brain simply can't contain all of it. It's making me want to irrationally begin burning all of my Iron Man books in a blind rage. And I feel like I'm losing my damn mind because I'm the only one that can see this.

I'll put it this way, I love Comics Iron Man's personality but hate the things he does, and I hate Movie Iron Man's personality but I have to reluctantly appreciate the things he does because the filmmakers are making him out to be the type of hero that Iron Man never was and shouldn't be portrayed as.

Iron Man is at the head of the Avengers in the movies. That alone is insane. He's one of the most hated heroes in the entire Marvel universe, among the other characters, at least. And even outside of the fictional universe, most of the fans that actually read comics hate him too.

I thought I was the only one.

JasonHawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Debatable.

I cant relate to you as you dont like and/or accept the fact that the movie version is different than the comic version.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie version has many differences, not saying that is a bad thing, I like the movie version generally more.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

RDJ > comic Stark. Just saying.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Movie Tony is a mix of Ultimates and 616 just like most of the cinematic universe. The Movie Tony are far more likeable (due to the Downy Charm tm and Comic Tony being a person of questionable morals and judgement) IMO.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see it like this..

Tony Stark is more realistic (personality) in Movies, which Comic Book readers and general audience can enjoy.. remember everyone doesn't read comics.

RDJ is EXCELLENT playing Iron-Man a HUGE majority believe this as well so who ever doesn't (mostly comic book fanatics) ehh sry it doesn't really matter.

Plus if he's doing an excellent job as Iron Man and a huge majority think the same, the fan base isn't dropping, even though he's not EXACTLY like the comic Iron Man (which is better anyway) and they never felt the need to change him.. why does he have to be like the one in the comics?

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDJ's playing 60's/pre-Demon In The Bottle Tony. I never disliked his personality prior to the films (and Bendis incorporating RDJ to the character), but I didn't really invest in him either. I love what RDJ's done with Stark. I don't mind when he has alcoholic breakdowns or acts like an arrogant pr*ck these days. He's only added to the character.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDJ's portrayal makes Stark's interactions with MCU characters (trying to be translated from the comics) more interesting IMO. Can't wait to see that rich bastard stand up to the Mad Titan.

Joiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Downey acted more like the comic Tony in IM1.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psh, RDJ is a better Iron Man than Iron Man himself.

F**k Civil War. The only downside of one of my favorite Marvel story arcs.

Jmarshmallow

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RDj made me like iron man more. To me he's better than the comic version.

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony is such a boss in the comics. Theres a scene where he and rewd talk about tonys armor and my jaw dropped. It was some of the best writing id read in a comic. The way they expressed the concepts and the science. I was hooked. I love that stuff man.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i may be wrong, but i always credited RDJ and Jon Farvreau for reinventing the character of Tony Stark.

ZhangThong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes: it depends on the movie. Because his personality really shifts between the movies. The most obvious differences is that Stark from the comics was more serious and tougher. He did have a sense of humor, but it was not his definitive trait. Downey's personality in the first movie was very reminiscent to the change that Stark went in the comics. However, later movies kind of made him too much of a careless D-bag. For example, when Stark calls out "The Mandarin" in Iron Man 3, he doesn't even try to think of what can happen if he indeed comes after him. Similar situation happened In Invincible Iron Man vol.3, where drunk Ms. Marvel comes to Tony's house and asks for a fight, and Tony's first action was to tell his A.I. to protect the house while he puts on the suit to go and take Carol somewhere into uninhabited area so that he could calm her down. And he didn't even know that he was going to get attacked. I think the best example of the difference between them is illustrated on this comic book panel:

No Caption Provided

Stark from the comics is more concerned about the others than himself, while the movie version is the opposite, most of the time.

Avatar image for dcandmarvelcomicfan
DCandMarvelComicFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did, Lol

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine there are comcics where we have a brooding Stark. An impossible take after how influential RDj portrayal has become.

JaylinFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whelp

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mister_Surreal

RDJ is basically playing himself in the movies. Which is to say, Tony is far more narky and lively on film than he is in the comics, who in there acts very much like Bruce Wayne. Beyond that, they are more or less the same.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@those_eyes: No. One quick way to know is, the Iron Man comics are not that popular (at least before the movies), while Iron Man RDj is very popular. Meaning, there is something attractive about RDj that is not in the comics.

In the comics he is only a secondary avengers, while in the movies he founded the avengers.

To compare for yourself, read the stories the movies are based on:

• Marvel Epic Collection: The Golden Avenger
  • Iron Man: Extremis
  • Iron Man vs. Whiplash
  • Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: Iron Man is not a secondary Avenger in the comics

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jb681131: Iron Man is not a secondary Avenger in the comics

Indeed he's in the Avengers since the begining alongside Ant-Man (Giant-Man), the Hulk, Thor, and the Wasp. Soon joined by Captain America found in the ice. He was and still is somewhat important to the team because he provided all the money and the techs.

But in the original comics he didn't feel like a "leader" like he is in the movies. Off course he is not a "back-up" avenger. I guess that's only my opinion.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

No, comic Tony is a lot less arrogant and ostentatious, behaves more seriously and maintains a professional demeanour in professional environments too; does he have humorous moments? of course, everyone does, but that does not make him a very comedic character. RDJ Tony on the other hand loves to show off, condescend others and is sarcastic as crap. So no, RDJ is not a comic-accurate Tony, at least not accurate to the comics published before the first Iron Man film.

I've read Extremis, Demon in a Bottle, Crash & Burn, Armor Wars I & II, Enter the Mandarin, Civil War etc. and all I see is Tony Stark, not RDJ, just Tony Stark, they are two different people to me.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic Tony is completely different (or was, pre-2008)