Tim Burton's Batman vs. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.

Avatar image for thedarkknight9283
thedarkknight9283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Which movies do you prefer?

OrphanCrippler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Spidey, i was just a kid when the first one came out, and i was mesmerized by it. Bats on the other hand was tarnished by the horrendous B and R movie

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Spiderman

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MixMastaMicah5

The Spider-Man trilogy, especially the second movie. I do think the latest Spider-Man is superior to the others however. Never could buy into Tobey Maguire.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Wolverine008

Spider-Man trilogy. Even though I don't like Tobey as Spider-Man.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i prefer light hearted superhero movies, but batman was a great movie.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Spider-Man Trilogy

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Emperorb777

Batman

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't pick. Even though I never saw Spider-Man 3 (and don't plan on it).

My DVD of Spider-Man 2 is very special to me, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burtons Batman movies weren't Batman movies. They were Burton Movies. It was extremely obvious he had no idea about the source material at all. They were also really weird. Ramies Spiderman 2 hits me right in my childhood every time I watch it. So Ramies Spiderman

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man, all day, every day. Spider-Man 2 in particular I thought was the best. It was certainly my favorite.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@gor724 said:

Burtons Batman movies weren't Batman movies. They were Burton Movies. It was extremely obvious he had no idea about the source material at all. They were also really weird. Ramies Spiderman 2 hits me right in my childhood every time I watch it. So Ramies Spiderman

IMO, they where true to the comics of the time, same as Adam West's TV show was... Kind of... Okay, maybe that's not the best example.

I agree with you about Ramie's Spider-Man, though. Nostalgia FTW!

Dremorius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

DRAW

thedarkknight9283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724 said:

Completely agree. Burton's Batman Batman movies were Batman in name only.

Sam Raimi understood the essence of Spiderman and made two great movies, even though he did some things that were against the source material like organic webbing and not having Spidey making jokes.

Tim Burton didn't understand anything about Batman, and had stupid crap like the Joker killing Bruce Wayne's parents, and the Penguin eating raw fish.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I think both only made one good movie for their respective franchises. Spider-Man 2 is better than Batman, though, and Spider-Man is more bearable than Batman Returns.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Is neither an option?

No?

K.

I'll side with J.K. Simmons and Alfred Molina then.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By silent_bomber

Burton's Batman movies were both very cool.

The Raimi movies fluctuated between polished popcorn fare to utterly atrocious.

Neither set of movies were particularly faithful to the source material, but I'd have to say that Spider-Man was significantly worse in this regard, being that the tone, peter parker himself, the art design, and the motivations of the enemies were all completely off-base.

thedarkknight9283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither set of movies were particularly faithful to the source material, but I'd have to say that Spider-Man was significantly worse in this regard, being that the tone, peter parker himself, the art design, and the motivations of the enemies were all completely off-base.

You could say the exact same thing about Burton's Batman movies.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PeppeyHare
Loading Video...

The one with Tobeyface

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Burton Batman movies have great endings and I liked the style too. I thought the Spider Man movies got annoying with MJ always ruining crime fighting for Peter and relationship drama.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber said:

You could say the exact same thing about Burton's Batman movies.

and I did

Anyway, tone wise I think the Batman's weren't far off from a certain era of the comics, whereas the tone of Raimi Spider-Man was generally prat-falling, badly written sit-com, cheesy "dad humour" etc. Waay, waay off.

Batman himself was nearly recognisable, outside of the killing people thing (which original Batman did anyway), whereas Toby Maguire acted nothing like Spider-Man at all, he was a clumsy, moronic weirdo, unlike the strong and confident character from the comic book.

Also I found the Power-Rangers Green Goblin to be much worse than any of the art-design in Batman or Batman Returns.

The CGI is also horrible in Raimi's movies, and I'm not even saying horrible now, some scenes were horrible at the time.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The Spider-Man trilogy.The Burton movies never worked for me that well and I didn't exactly like them while the first two movies from the Spidey trilogy were really good and I like them a lot.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@silent_bomber: One of my biggest pet peeves is how they used Green Goblin. I mean we have William DaFoe, who probably more than anyone I can think of its absolutely amazing when it comes to acting with facial expressions....and they cover up his face....with a stupid mask...WTF.

/sighcry

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By 14NC3

Spider-man trilogy. Easily, though I will admit that I loved the first tim burton batman.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Bierschneeman

we are not the target audience for comic book based movies, its something that is often forgotten mostly because its hard to imagine it otherwise (its our passionate source material afterall) so any comment on "this movie is closer or farther to the source material" isn't really an important argument to me, since that isn't the point in making comic based movies. the point is generally to makeit as cinematic as possible, and appeal to as many people as possible.

I think They are about even, Burton films were made to appeal to the movie going audience of the late eighties early nineties , and they aren't standing up to more recent audiences as well (though better than any other superhero movies from that era) I think Spiderman did the same thing, and given another decade, we might look at the Sam Raimi films the same way we are looking at Burton films.

that said, for its time... I think the Burton films were better, than the spider man movies, for their time. (as in if you could travel back in time with a device that measures my enjoyment and use it on me while I watched the movies the first time, I think the device would read much higher than when I watched the Spider Man movies.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tim Burton's the one with The Penguin? If yes then that is another reason why I pick Spider-Man over Bats.

I. I am a way bigger fan of Spidey than I am of Bats

II. I love every single movie of Sam's Spider-Man. Yes I love even 3. I know it is a terrible movie but I still love it.

III. The Penguin scared the $@!% outta me when I was a kid.

IV. Tim's first Batman movie with the Joker came out in theaters 3 days before I was born. I was definitely too young to go watch it while Spider-Man came out when I was about to be a teenager.

( + )

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bats' dilogy for me.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer both. I don't understand this versus mentality, and I doubt I ever will.

Is it really so difficult to equally appreciate both?

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fda0e622d0fa
deactivated-5fda0e622d0fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wesat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman

batstroke2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raimi's Spider-Man without hesitation. Spider-Man 2 (2004) is still one of the greatest films in it's genre.

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zafros13

1. Spider-Man 2 - really high production quality. The best sound design of any superhero movie. Great cinematography. Strong motifs. Compelling character. Good action. Stylistically strong.

2. Spider-man 3 (Editors Cut) - I think the biggest flaw is how they handled the Harry plot line. As for pros the street dance scene is one of the best cbm scenes. Good action. Some good cinematography. Good music. Strong on a character level.

3. Batman Returns - they turn Batman into a compelling character. Better antagonist then Joker. The Bruce/Selena dance scene is one of the best cbm scenes. Pfeiffer gives one of the best cbm performances. Great Production design.

4. Spider-Man 1 - The final fight of this movie is one of the best superhero scenes. That all said the plot is lacking, Spiderman isn’t an “active protagonist” for quite a bit.

5. Batman 89 - the plot gets super repetitive. Joker confronts Vicky and leaves a bunch of times in a row. Very shallow. Batman has a generic revenge motivation and gets the respect of the Gotham people and gets off happily with a girlfriend without having to grow as a character. Good production design.

batstroke2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zafros13 said:

1. Spider-Man 2 - really high production quality. The best sound design of any superhero movie. Great cinematography. Strong motifs. Compelling character. Good action. Stylistically strong.

2. Spider-man 3 - I think the biggest flaw is how they handled the Harry plot line. As for pros the street dance scene is one of the best cbm scenes. Good action. Some good cinematography. Good music. Strong on a character level.

3. Batman Returns - they turn Batman into a compelling character. Better antagonist then Joker. The Bruce/Selena dance scene is one of the best cbm scenes. Pfeiffer gives one of the best cbm performances. Great Production design.

4. Spider-Man 1 - The final fight of this movie is one of the best superhero scenes. That all said the plot is lacking, Spiderman isn’t an “active protagonist” for quite a bit.

5. Batman 89 - the plot gets super repetitive. Joker confronts Vicky and leaves a bunch of times in a row. Very shallow. Batman has a generic revenge motivation and gets the respect of the Gotham people and gets off happily with a girlfriend without having to grow as a character. Good production design.

Spider-Man 3 is not that good at all. Even Raimi himself admitted that he was frustrated with the final cut of that movie. It wasn't his fault though, he was forced to include things that interfered with his vision by the studio in the name of capitalism against his own will.

Here's the correct ranking:

1. Spider-Man 2 (2004)

2. Spider-Man (2002)

3. Batman Returns (1992)

4. Batman (1989)

5. Spider-Man 3 (2007)

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zafros13

@batstroke2000: I don’t think you have to agree with the creator. He said he didn’t believe in all of the characters (as in he didn’t put his passion into everything) when making it (maybe your referring to the same interview), which according to him is true but I don’t think it hurts the quality of the movie too much.

Different people have differing value systems regarding movies though. Like my older brother would probably be more bothered by that (he doesn’t watch the MCU because he doesn’t really view it as art (not that there’s 0 passion, but that it feels like a business model, but he really likes the Raimi movies because he sees more of a souls in them) He really appreciates artistic visions, and is anti-manafactured content (though I think he does like Spiderman 3 because of stylistic elements and the artistic passion). A lot of directors might not care as much that they didn’t believe in all of the characters but Raimi has a filmography based around caring about that so this movie stands out in that compared to his whole filmography) Caring about that is a big thing that makes him a great director (he’s passionate about his work, and you can feel the love in his work,)

“Even Raimi himself admitted that he was frustrated with the final cut of that movie“

I actually haven’t seen the theatrical in a long time, so I am referring to the editors cut.

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zafros13

@batstroke2000: I used to have Spider-Man 1 higher then Batman Returns but I changed my mind after rewatching both close together:

Visuals: Spiderman 1’s cinematography wasn’t as good as I remembered. And I think it would have benefited from longer takes. Burton is a visionary director in terms of visual style. While I often praise Raimi’s style I think Burton has him beat here.

Performance: Defoe’s performance is countered by Pfeiper. Keaton has much better technical acting skill then Maguire though I do think Raimi is good at playing to his strengths.

Story: A big problem with Spider-Man 1 is when Peter is not an “active protagonist” meaning he’s not pushing the story forward and given loose goals like “if Green Goblin shows up I’ll try to stop him” ( even though he ran away during the burning building fight despite having the upperhand) Beyond that Spider-Man’s story is a bit too simple.

Romance: I think the Bat/Cat romance is a lot better. It’s one of the few examples of me actually really liking the inclusion of a romantic plot line in a movie (another example of one I liked would be Mission Impossible 3 because the whole time your thinking this isn’t going to end well) Bruce himself is pretty crazy and you can see how Selena is the only person he’s able to connect to on that inner level.

Look at how well written this is: 0:54-0:15 https://youtu.be/jyveipn4KUg and how well acted it is, you can see on Selena’s face how much she’s connecting to him. ( what’s brought up here is the multi-facetness of identity, which is a concept I’ve been interested in exploring with my own writing)

Villain: Spiderman 1 because Defoe’s acting. I don’t remember it super well but I do remember that Penguin is well written psychologically speaking and exceeds most cbm villains.

Edit: this is one of the most relatable things I’ve ever seen though: 0:53 - 0:55 https://youtu.be/QCwtWVSarRE