Three Comic Book Gaming Apps That Are Too Addictive

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

There are thousands of gaming apps available for download on mobile devices. The biggest problem is figuring out which ones are worth your time and energy. There's lots of games out there that don't cut the mustard and others you get bored with way too quickly. But what are the best comic book related mobile games that are just too hard to put down?

That's where we come in. We play a few mobile games here and there and while there are a ton to choose from, we found three really awesome ones that are really hard to put down. The best part is that they're all free to download... with the option to spend all your money on in-game purchases.

Simpsons: Tapped Out

No Caption Provided

What is it? In Simpsons: Tapped Out, you are in charge of rebuilding Springfield, building by building and interacting with the folks from the Simpsons universe. There's quests to complete and lost of famous landmarks to put into your very own town, as you earn money by completing jobs with the citizens of the town and collecting money from your already existing buildings in the city.

Pros: Simpsons fans will love seeing all their favorite characters and the famous landmarks from the decades of episodes that the Simpsons has provided the world. The game has a great sense of humor and the story is pretty solid as well. In addition, you can connect with your friends who also play the game and check out how their Springfield looks as well.

Cons: You get to a point in this game, about an hour in or so, where you end up waiting quite a while for anything to happen, which is easy to surpass if you want to spend a bunch of real life money. Getting a good town going takes a while, so the game can lose it's fun right away, but it gets a lot better as the world expands.

Here's some screengrabs of the game:

The Walking Dead: Road to Survival

No Caption Provided

What is it? You play as a survivor during the zombie apocalypse, set in the same universe as Image's THE WALKING DEAD. You must assemble a team of people to head off into the world to fight off zombies and other survivors. In addition, much like a slimmed down version of "Tapped Out," you have a town that needs upkeep which gives you food and building materials, to make your team stronger.

Pros: Lots of cool characters from the world of The Walking Dead that you can win, even though they're rare. The game really embraces a lot from the comic book. There's also customization with the weapons they use and leveling up and upgrading characters. You can also challenge other players to raids. Road to Survival gives you a lot to for a freemium game. When you have to wait for your town to upgrade or build, you have fighting you can do as well.

Cons: It's still a very new game and a lot of the building up the town part of the game is extremely basic. In fact, everything in this game is relatively basic as well. The game feels like it's in beta mode, at times, and we're all just testing it before the real game, with bigger features, comes out.

Check out some screen grabs below.

Marvel: Contest of Champions

No Caption Provided

What is it? There's a story about the Collector or Thanos or someone stealing heroes and villains and making them fight, but I usually just skip all the story stuff because this game is a fighter, and frankly, I just want Black Panther to beat everyone up. It's all about collecting heroes, leveling them up, working together with an alliance and winning a bunch of stuff for the game.

Pros: It's a simple game with complex extra features. More importantly, there are a ton of characters you can get in this game, and new ones are being added roughly every month. Working together with an alliance is a newer feature to the game but adds a lot more value to it. While the heart of the game is one character punching another, there's a lot of different game modes which all add something of value to the game.

Cons: Ranking up your characters not only drains you of all your gold, it also can take forever because, without getting too detailed, you need special items which are only available one day of the week, depending on the character type. There's a ton of frustration with this aspect of the game. However, it's the only real problem I've had with this game.

Here's some screenshots from the game I spend way too much time on.

Those are our favorite free mobile games. We'll be back soon to talk about games which may cost you a little bit of cash, but are a ton of fun. What are your favorite free mobile gaming apps?

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By blackspidey2099

Marvel Future Fight >>> Marvel Contest of Champions.

While the graphics aren't as good, the gameplay is much more intricate and varying, as well as being less P2W (according to me, at least).

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I might give that contest of champions a try.

Jacob_Cora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm addicted to Avengers Alliance. Too bad the smartphone version is not getting new content :(

dcfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thing you didn't pick Marvel Puzzle Quest. That game is a rip-off and everyone should steer clear of it.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

How could you not pick Spider-Man Unlimited? The sheer amount of different playable spideys is enough to make any Spider-Fan appeased with the dedication to reaching for obscurity.

Also it's fun.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#7 inferiorego  Staff

How could you not pick Spider-Man Unlimited? The sheer amount of different playable spideys is enough to make any Spider-Fan appeased with the dedication to reaching for obscurity.

Also it's fun.

It's a Temple Run clone and didn't hold my interest. It's not a bad game, but just not addictive to me.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By laflux

@the_mighty_monarch said:

Also it's fun.

It's a Temple Run clone and didn't hold my interest. It's not a bad game, but just not addictive to me.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@inferiorego: fair enough. I was just hoping this article would cover a wider variety of games since everyone has their own tastes. I personally find the FarmVille/town building games to be

Mind numbingly boring but to each their own.

I would also argue that Spider-Man Unlimited does so much more than Temple Run and makes it look like the cheap knockoff but I can see how it's not going to be addicting to everyone.

D9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@jacob_cora: I tried to get into that game but found it moved to slow unless you started paying. Have you paid much for it?

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

I'm not going to risk downloading these games into my phone. It might get crashed for all I know. It's better to play them on your desktop computer or laptop.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not comics related, but I can't stop playing Fallout Shelter. I'm shocked that I never seem to get sick of it. :)

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Injustice stomps all

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play Contest of Champions, it is very fun, but it gets annoying if the alliance you are in aren't active and you end up doing all the work and everhone reaps the rewards.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Marvel Puzzle Quest is a really good mobile game too. My personal favorite

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TrueMarvel
TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man Unlimited is not a temple run clone. It's actually a superior version of subway surfer.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099 said:

Big time, FF is the best mobile Marvel game by far.

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Injustice?

Super_Blah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's become a bit closer to P2W in the last major update, but it's still very fun even if you don't spend a cent.

ElNino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ElNino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Simpsons Tapped Out was a bit boring and it sucks considering you need internet. I need to check out Contest of Champions though.

soarlozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to bring over that marvel facebook game. It had a very similar combat system to the walking dead. I was super into it until pvp objectives came around and people ran the same templates resulting in like a 50% loss win ration because you were either fighting a cookie cutter build that you made to counter the cookie cutter or faught someone running a counter-counter cookie cutter build lmao.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By WarDishy_

I miss the Facebook game Marvel had that was a grid-based strategy game. Much more fun than Avengers Alliance but they pulled the plug on it pretty quick.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any game that doesn't ask me for money again and again within game, I'll probably enjoy.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contest of Champions? Really? I find it way too repetitive and simple. Last I checked, everyone had very similar animations and whatnot. Future Fight is much more entertaining.

HumanTorch101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WWE Immortals is definitely worth your time. It's basically Injustice but with wrestlers.

Jacob_Cora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: 90€ so far. It was a present for myself :)

D9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@jacob_cora: Gotcha, I have a few friends who have put about that much (in CAD) into Simpson: Tapped Out. They certainly got far in the game but I couldn't do it myself.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fallingcliffs

I like Injustice, MK and WWE more than any of these games.

Injustice stomps all

Agreed

Michael_Moran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like contest of Champions when I played it.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the graphics aren't as good, the gameplay is much more intricate and varying, as well as being less P2W (according to me, at least).

Disagreed. Future Fight barely has any characters outside of the MCU and isn't as fun or addicting as Contest of Champions (even if Contest becomes extremely boring later on).

Injustice stomps all

This.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman Unlimited is pretty good too IMO.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBEj2y95F7g

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel's contest of champions and future fight are ok....one issue.....I CAN'T PLAY THIS **** OFFLINE!

NWOslave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so which of these can you pay to win top spot? mobile games are the worst micro-transaction games evah!

Avatar image for deactivated-57bcb3093153a
deactivated-57bcb3093153a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Avatar image for deactivated-57bcb3093153a
deactivated-57bcb3093153a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@knightsofdarkness2: yes. Especially after the last update where they added the performance graphic option.

supshirtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dumped Contest of Champions for Future Fight. It was fun to fight one on one for a while, but the team and brawler aspect of FF, as well as some pretty generous daily login rewards has kept me playing FF every day. If you want to pay nothing, you can either grind and grind to collect a bunch of characters (I did this only to get Black Bolt, my fav!), or you can pick a primary and/or secondary team to dump your time and effort into to build up stats and get further into the game. There are a ton of ways to play, even if you are out of energy. I only purchased some extra crystals that were on mad sale.