Thoughts on Maul's fate in Star Wars: Rebels?

• 56 results
Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

My opinion on Maul's demise in a quick Kurosawa-ish battle is probably going to be an unpopular one but I found Maul's demise to be ironically poetic because, let's be honest, even though Darth Maul probably had the most compelling (and my personal favorite) character arc in both the Clone Wars and Rebels series, His role in the story was now irrelevant to what will happen in the events of the original trilogy. By this point in time, He was just a crazy & weak old man that was way past his prime and has no army at his side, trying to settle an old grudge that didn't matter anymore while the rest of the universe was at war. That and the obvious time constraints would obviously result in him dying in such a way.

What about you, fellow viners? What are your thoughts on Maul's death in Star Wars: Rebels?

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LordWhiskers

Might wanna edit the title to something like "Opinion on Mauls Fate in SW Rebels" or "Reaction to Maul v. Obi Wan" just for spoiler purposes. As for me...honestly.

No Caption Provided

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It was pathetic and poorly done.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A pathetic end for a pathetic character (I mean TCW nad Rebel Maul). I loved it.

Seriously though, it's about time he died. Since TCW Maul was the ultimate cockroach and cash cow of Star Wars franchise.

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an aside, I haven't watched much of Rebels but man, is all the fight choreography like that brief exchange? Because that was so slick. One of my main problems with Clone Wars (which I loved) was that the saber battles didn't really have any weight behind the strikes but in that brief exchange, each of the three strikes looked beautiful.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pissed beyond belief. I mean seriously he lost in 3 moves? He's been through hell and back and 3 moves kills him? They should have at least it a more grand scene for life long enemies. There wasn't even a single use of the force. There's no way Kenobi past his prime could stop Maul who was still able to move just as fast as before.

Rebels is pathetic

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite how short it was, I think it made sense since Maul was wandering the desert for so long, and was also clouded by his emotions. Plus it was far more realistic in terms of fencing--and Ben baiting him into making the same move he made against Qui-Gon was a fitting end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a20a68641bc7
deactivated-5a20a68641bc7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the delivery was great, and it really isn't so detrimental to Maul. He was outsmarted by Obi-Wan - an opponent who had a unique insight into his strengths and weaknesses - and almost certainly would have put up a much better fight against any other Jedi.

I'm glad we weren't given some drawn-out duel full of acrobatics and complex techniques; it would have quite severely contradicted the style of Obi-Wan in 'A New Hope'.

Redsayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Redsayn

I absolutely adored this. The fight was perfect and a solid representation of Kenobi's style/character, and the way the scene was delivered was fantastic. The voice actors perfectly put across the emotions, the choreography was amazing, and the music fit perfectly.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Padawan Kenobi sliced Sith apprentice Maul, who killed a Jedi master, in half after an epic duel, so it makes sense that Jedi Master Kenobi defeated Maul so easily. I love Maul and am sad to see him go but the battle just showed how much more superior Kenobi had become since episode 1. This is why he is considered one of the best Jedi of all time.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obi the Boss.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

On the one hand I like Obi bossing his way all over Maul in 3 moves but on the other hand it's a disappointing let down for a duel that was hyped up for months. Fans were looking forward to this for ages and it lasts about as long as a single gif.

SirDrProfessor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

On the one hand I like Obi bossing his way all over Maul in 3 moves but on the other hand it's a disappointing let down for a duel that was hyped up for months. Fans were looking forward to this for ages and it lasts about as long as a single gif.

This

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm disappointed. It's true Maul needed to go because he was unneeded. But they can't advertise it like they did. Suicide Squad had the same problem. Rebels advertised a huge epic duel between them, and then it just ends in seconds. They can't do that.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul's death was pretty touching, if you ask me...

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: Ya, his death was fine, it was the anti climactic fight that was the problem.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle: Kenobi won their first duel due to Maul's overconfidence. Kenobi shouldn't be that much better than Maul, but they wanted the fight to be like a samurai fight.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c0eef934dfe
deactivated-59c0eef934dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps the greatest thing to come from Rebels.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

People like Antoine giving in credit because it being a psyhological battle more then anything..I can agree with that but it was hyped up to be dealt with in thre moves.

ViperSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The death was OK and the theme of why it happened like that made sense, but the fight was disappointing, and Maul dying at the hands of Vader would have satisfied me a lot more than Kenobi.

Chubbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the encounter. Could there have been a big lightsaber duel? Yeah, but to me this was just as satisfying.

Regarding the actual fight, I think it was a combination of Kenobi outwitted him, Maul underestimated him, and Kenobi having a purpose in life whereas Maul did not.

At this point Maul seemed to be someone who was driven purely by his hatred, specifically his hatred of Palpatine and Kenobi. After putting the holocrons together I'm sure Maul knew he was not going to be the one to get his revenge on Palpatine, so any further attempt to kill him would likely just result in his death. However, he learned Kenobi was still alive. His hope of killing Kenobi was really the only thing he was living for at this point. Kenobi had a much better reason to live than Maul.

I also like how Maul doesn't really seem to blame Kenobi for his demise, as his last words are of the Chosen One avenging him and Kenobi.

In a strange way it was in Maul's best interest to be killed by Kenobi, as Kenobi was protecting the person who would bring Palpatine down (well technically Anakin was the actual Chosen One, but Luke was the one who brought him back to the lightside which is when Anakin fulfilled his destiny).

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a joke and needs to be redone idc if maul dies or lives but this was stupid period. Anyone who knows both characters would understand this wasn't a duel this was a "parent beating a child"

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul should have never been brought back in the first place.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with this as well.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r2datu: did you see Vader Vs Ashoka

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable said:

I agree with this as well.

I have mixed feelings about this. He was clearly supposed to die in ep 1, but I do think he had some great moments after being brought back, and I actually felt bad for him when he died. Plus he is one of my favorite characters, so more Maul is always fine with me. Though I do think they made some poor choices with him. My number one disappointment was the anti climactic duel before he died, not to mention how his final episode barely had him in it. To kill off such an iconic character it should of been done in the season finale, gave him more screen time, and a better final battle to finish off his story.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should have left him dead after TPM

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alextheboss: one of my main issues was him trying to persuade Space Aladdin to join him 24/7. Ezra is some sheltered student of a former Padawan. Any Zabrak, especially a former sith assasin would have laughed and disemboweled him the moment they laid eyes on him.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordwhiskers: I especially didn't like the line when he basically said he wanted Ezra to be his brother, lol.

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordwhiskers: I especially didn't like the line when he basically said he wanted Ezra to be his brother, lol.

yup lol. If anything it would've made more sense for Maul to try and find a way to undermine Sidious and die doing that. Instead he meets the Rebels twice and kills none of them. I would've gladly had Maul kill Sabine or Zeb for some degree of emotional value.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordwhiskers: I really just wanted one more epic fight with Maul.

No Caption Provided

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordwhiskers: I really just wanted one more epic fight with Maul.

No Caption Provided

I wish he was killed after Son of Dathomire myself.

Funny how Ahsoka had a huge battle with Vader, and Maul lost in three moves to Ben lol.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it.

@r2datu said:

Just an aside, I haven't watched much of Rebels but man, is all the fight choreography like that brief exchange? Because that was so slick. One of my main problems with Clone Wars (which I loved) was that the saber battles didn't really have any weight behind the strikes but in that brief exchange, each of the three strikes looked beautiful.

Fioni said he talked to actual sword masters when creating this fight which is why the duel is so short. Probably why the choreography is like that as well.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz:

I wish he was killed after Son of Dathomire myself.

I like where and how he was killed. I just don't like how short the duel was myself.

Funny how Ahsoka had a huge battle with Vader, and Maul lost in three moves to Ben lol.

They love to disrespect Maul. Remember when he got one shot by a blind Kanan? lol

@jashro44:

Fioni said he talked to actual sword masters when creating this fight which is why the duel is so short. Probably why the choreography is like that as well.

The problem is no other saber duel in star wars is like that, so making in like a real life fight, just makes it look bad compared to other star wars fights and doesn't fit with the continuity. I completely see where he was coming from, but come on, you can't all of a sudden decide you want to change how lightsaber battles work, lol.

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: At least SOD would've been more cathartic bringing his conflict with Sidious and having him die with his mom Talzin. I would've preferred that to this. Hell I would've preferred SOD to be animated with the rest of CW like Dark Disciple for example.

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alextheboss: That gif is bringing back Emo Anakin memories

No Caption Provided

Hush114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cruelestashley: i agree with you it was a fitting end. It was true to how knowledgeable and experienced obi wan was as a lightsaber duelist.

He defeated anakin in a similar way. Anakin became over confident and tried using obi wans move, the same one obi wan used to defeat maul in tpm. I like how obi wan learns from each duel and uses his triumphs and mistakes to make him better down the line.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44:

I actually really liked the duel for this reason. It was fast, intense, and over almost as soon as it began.

Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little let down. I was expecting an epic final battle in typical Star Wars fashion.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: At least SOD would've been more cathartic bringing his conflict with Sidious and having him die with his mom Talzin. I would've preferred that to this. Hell I would've preferred SOD to be animated with the rest of CW like Dark Disciple for example.

How dare you! If they animated Season 7, we would not have the awesome Rebels we have now heathen!!!

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44:

The problem is no other saber duel in star wars is like that, so making in like a real life fight, just makes it look bad compared to other star wars fights and doesn't fit with the continuity. I completely see where he was coming from, but come on, you can't all of a sudden decide you want to change how lightsaber battles work, lol.

Well this is also because Maul and Obi-wan also know each other so well so they were both playing the duel out in there heads. Its a classic samurai trope where Samurais can have duels by just staring each other down.

@jashro44:

I actually really liked the duel for this reason. It was fast, intense, and over almost as soon as it began.

Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little let down. I was expecting an epic final battle in typical Star Wars fashion.

Yea. I can see why some are let down but I appreciate the thought they put into the duel.

freesid_stf123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was cool. I like what they were going for in the duel and the amount of detail they put into making the fight. Not gonna lie though, I laughed hard when I first saw it because I didn't understand what was going on at the time.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By alextheboss

@jashro44:

Well this is also because Maul and Obi-wan also know each other so well so they were both playing the duel out in there heads. Its a classic samurai trope where Samurais can have duels by just staring each other down.

I feel like they could of accomplished the exact same thing by just making the fight ten seconds of quick calculated strikes instead of literally 2 seconds. They are force users, it would make sense they could predict and calculate more moves than us regular people. And much more people would be satisfied with something like that.

I thought it was cool. I like what they were going for in the duel and the amount of detail they put into making the fight. Not gonna lie though, I laughed hard when I first saw it because I didn't understand what was going on at the time.

And this is why I think it would of been better if the fight was just a few seconds longer. It would of given more people more time to comprehend in the first time viewing the fight.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By ursaber

I thought it was:

No Caption Provided