Avatar image for thesilentripper
#1 Posted by TheSilentRipper (2530 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#2 Edited by Overmonitor (1515 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as much as I had hoped. I think your fave character is dependent on your personality type and current situation.

I liked Kylo, although I don't understand his motivations I do understand his struggle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#3 Edited by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved him! :D

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#4 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22671 posts) - - Show Bio

Disappointed he isn't force sensitive, but yeah, he's my second favorite new addition to the Star Wars universe

#5 Posted by SirDrProfessor (1699 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved all the new characters.

#6 Posted by buildhare (8614 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought he might be the token black character for the new era, thrust in for the sake of diversity and PR (Looking at you Fant4stic).

I was wrong, the character was great and very likeable, the actor did a good job.

#7 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

he was the hidden gem, Rey is really a piece of shit tho

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#8 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

He was ok, but nothing that special. I liked the other new characters more.

#9 Posted by PayneInTheAss (11155 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the new Jar Jar...

just kidding, he was a nice surprise, but at some points he was like telling too much jokes and similiar stuff

I liked him overall

#10 Edited by InFamous_Wolf (1427 posts) - - Show Bio

He was awesome, the way he stood up for the bae Rey against Kylo was legit asf.

Plus he was funny as hell...

#11 Posted by kgb725 (18367 posts) - - Show Bio

@buildhare: Mace Windu and the coolest cat in the galaxy don't ring a bell ? They don't just have black characters just because

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#12 Edited by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but he wasn't my favorite of the new characters (that would be BB-8).

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
#13 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (2324 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh!

#14 Posted by Straight-Fire (27244 posts) - - Show Bio

He's pretty cool, though Rey is easily my favorite new character in Star Wars. She could very well be my favorite character in the Star Wars universe in general.

#15 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked him. Just thought there'd be a little more to him is all.

#16 Posted by JasonHawke (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh.

Give him till next movie.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#17 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17508 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved him but it was Rey that stole the show.

#18 Posted by VMole (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Better character than Rey in my opinion. He does the best he can without being naturally gifted or particularly skilled in any one thing, he's just someone thrust into a crap situation and struggles to do the right thing in spite of his own shortcomings with no asspull final hour power up to save his hide when things get real.

Who knows how he turns out in subsequent showings, but he's definitely the better half of the two.

#19 Posted by tiraomoz (980 posts) - - Show Bio

I though he would have the force in him but he didn't hence I was disappointed but as a character I prefered him to rey plus his acting was actually very good,it really potrayed a soldier who doesn't agree with what the millitary is doing,doesn't try to be too brave but is brave when neccessary and cautious when neccessary,The actress that played rey also did a very good job but the rey character was tilting between damsel in distress and potential jedi warrior but more of potetial jedi warrior so I couldn't really pin point.In summary Finn was cool and starwars was epic

#20 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good looking guy.

#21 Edited by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

He was the worst. His entire character made no sense. You don't get raised from childhood in an environment where Rebels are considered lesser beings and pull a sudden 180 because of plot. His motivations and sense of morality should have been completely nonexistent. He was raised to kill Rebels and that's it. There's nothing that would have made him feel empathetic towards other life in such a short period of time. His character is the worst aspect of the writing of the film.

Not to mention, to John Boyega hyperventilating and screaming the whole movie equals great acting.

#22 Edited by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

He was cool I liked his role in the story.

#23 Posted by PenguinDust (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

He was great. Funny, heroic, grounded...he actually seems the most normal of the new characters. Rey is my favorite character, though.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#24 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

Was fine with the actor and his personality but the character was terrible designed

We're supposed to believe a baby stolen from birth, brainwashed his entire life and with no prior disobedience all of a sudden decides not to be a trooper because it wasn't the right thing? Lol

Not to mention he was supposedly had a history of non combat roles (sanitation at starkiller base), isn't used to firing guns (tie fighter and falcon), got his but whooped by a storm trooper but then when it's time to stand up to Kyle he is competent enough to get a lick or two in.

And no. I have desire to see him be a force sensitive because of the aforementioned reasons.

He had nice development and I will like him going force but his concept and introduction was awful

I vastly prefer Rey. She might be a rip off of Luke but at least we know it's a trusted character design lol. Plus it's nice to see a female lead - especially a Jedi. We've never really seen a girl Jedi in full - especially human (movie wise)

#25 Posted by TommytheHitman (6637 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked him quite a bit. Although found it a bit hard to believe he's completely fine with killing his fellow Stormtroopers. I really liked his quick friendship with Poe, however I wouldn't mind seeing more of it in the next movie. I would have been ticked off if they'd killed Dameron off like they originally intended. Overall I liked him, however out of the trio of new characters he is my least favourite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#26 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him. It's also cool that him and Poe are the first gay Star Wars characters.

#27 Posted by the_stegman (40136 posts) - - Show Bio

He was my favorite character.

#28 Posted by silkyballfro94 (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

He was an okay or good character for me. I can't decide. He was surprisingly funny, but he got a bit annoying at times.

#29 Edited by rogueshadow (29169 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked him, I look forward to seeing where they take his character.

Disappointed he isn't force sensitive, but yeah, he's my second favorite new addition to the Star Wars universe

I think he is force sensitive:

• He was taken as an infant for some reason.
  • He heard the cries of people in the Hosnian system, sensing them before looking, much like Obi-Wan did with Alderaan.
  • He was proficient with the Falcon's gunner extremely quickly.
  • He overcame the First Order's systemised indoctrination.
  • Lucasfilm seemed to want to make a point of giving him lightsaber moments.
@sprior93 said:

I like him. It's also cool that him and Poe are the first gay Star Wars characters.

I didn't get that vibe at all, he was obviously into Rey.

#30 Edited by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice edition to the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#31 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Nah, I got a brother-sister vibe from Finn and Rey.

#32 Posted by JuzaCloud (3416 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see Finn become a highly skilled, master level lightsaber duelist, but with no force powers. That could be something unique to his character. That is if there hasn't been any like that before.

#33 Posted by VMole (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

You got brother-sister vibes from a guy that pulled a half-assed macking routine on a girl he much just met?

I really liked him, I look forward to seeing where they take his character.

@buttersdaman000 said:

I think he is force sensitive:

• He was taken as an infant for some reason.
  • He heard the cries of people in the Hosnian system, sensing them before looking, much like Obi-Wan did with Alderaan.
  • He was proficient with the Falcon's gunner extremely quickly.
  • He overcame the First Order's systemised indoctrination.
  • Lucasfilm seemed to want to make a point of giving him lightsaber moments.
@sprior93 said:

I didn't get that vibe at all, he was obviously into Rey.

Those are possible, but those could possibly be red herrings, he just might end up as a competent flatscan although I wouldn't mind either.

#34 Posted by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not a human but a clone.

#35 Posted by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it.

If there was one thing that wasn't bad about The Force Awakens, it would be Finn's acting.

#36 Posted by kgb725 (18367 posts) - - Show Bio

@juzacloud: As for humans Im not sure. But someone like Grievous has done it

#37 Edited by rogueshadow (29169 posts) - - Show Bio
@sprior93 said:

I think he might be friend-zoned, but there was the bit where he asked, 'got a boy-friend, got a cute boy-friend?, that and other bits indicated quite heavily that he was into Rey.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
#38 Posted by deactivated-097092725 (10555 posts) - - Show Bio

I identified with Finn the most out of all the characters in the film. He's my favourite.

#39 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17508 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms-lola said:

I identified with Finn the most out of all the characters in the film. He's my favourite.

Finn is the most that I identified with too. But Rey stole the show for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
#40 Posted by deactivated-097092725 (10555 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Rey is awesome! I agree with her stealing the show. I'm a wee bit caught up with Kylo Ren, as well. I'm still working through what I think of his character.

#41 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17508 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms-lola said:

@theamazingspidey: Rey is awesome! I agree with her stealing the show. I'm a wee bit caught up with Kylo Ren, as well. I'm still working through what I think of his character.

Kylo Ren's character was fantastic. Great characterization. Good acting too. Such a complex creation.

#42 Posted by depinhom (13506 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta say I wasn't overly thrilled about the idea of a rogue Stormtrooper switching sides and all

In my opinion, Stormtroopers shouldn't have names or faces or backstories - they're just soldiers

What was also really stupid was how it all happened

He was taken as a baby and trained and brainwashed for years and yet at his first battle he is surprised to see death and almost automatically sees what he is doing s wrong even though he's never known anything else or any other way his entire life

#43 Posted by JediXMan (42380 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure. I liked the idea of an imperfect hero who didn't win every fight he fought.

I didn't like him in the beginning. Saving Poe and saying "it's the right thing to do" just... it was so cliche. But he grew on me.

#44 Posted by Primez0ne (9810 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked his characterization and his mix of funny/competence.

@jedixman said:

Sure. I liked the idea of an imperfect hero who didn't win every fight he fought.

I didn't like him in the beginning. Saving Poe and saying "it's the right thing to do" just... it was so cliche. But he grew on me.

To be fair I think he then proceeded to say that he needed someone to fly the ship.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#45 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: This wasn't explained in the movies but Finn is one of the best stormtroopers they have. According to the new books. Just clearing that part up. He always scored within the top 1% in training. I'll have the quotes by the time you reply hopefully.

#46 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

@fallschirmjager: This wasn't explained in the movies but Finn is one of the best stormtroopers they have. According to the new books. Just clearing that part up. He always scored within the top 1% in training. I'll have the quotes by the time you reply hopefully.

I all ready know that. Some other poster covered it.

But you shouldn't have to rely on novelization to get a complete movie. 99% of people aren't going to read them and there's no reason I can't judge the movie as it is. The movie as a whole leaves so many unanswered questions and plot holes that is a little ridiculous. They completely abused the name Star Wars to get away with that.

Like I said, he grew nicely, but his origin was awful.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#47 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Oh I completely agree about the unanswered questions and plot holes. I had more questions leaving than going in.

#48 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Oh I completely agree about the unanswered questions and plot holes. I had more questions leaving than going in.

Indeed. The movie was less of a feature film and more of a set-up movie. Again - any other franchise but Star Wars and the movie would have gotten torn apart.

I still liked it, but it has a lot of issues.