Avatar image for aquatic_pianist
Aquatic_Pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aquatic_Pianist

For those who’ve seen Infinity War, Thor travels to Nidavellir with Rocket and Groot to forge a new weapon for himself capable of killing Thanos. The forge is powered by a neutron star, however it has gone cold. The team works together to reignite the forge, but the mechanism releasing the star’s power has broken, and Thor must hold it open to melt the metal that will form his new weapon. However, he must also stand in the beam’s way, threatening to kill him if he stands in it too long. After a minute of exposure to what Eitri, king of the dwarves and the best weapon-smith in the universe, says is “the full power of a star,” Thor lets go and nearly dies but is healed by the newly forged Stormbreaker.

Captain America WISHES he could flex like this.
Captain America WISHES he could flex like this.

The battle forums have predictably exploded after Thor’s showings in Infinity War, and most of the Vine has agreed that this is an impressive heat resistance feat for Thor. I have a couple questions though...

• Does this feat also count as a blunt force feat? To my VERY limited understanding, it seemed to me that the beam wasn’t just light. It was very hot, and to feel heat like Thor did, there has to be a transfer of heat between masses. Thor was one mass, so the beam also had to carry mass. Also, isn’t energy a property of matter? Energy has to be “carried” with mass. So I’m thinking that matter from the star was contained in the beam as well, and neutron star material is incredibly dense. But I could be incredibly wrong, and if someone with more experience in astrophysics could enlighten me that would be amazing.
  • Is there any way to quantify this feat, either for heat or the force on Thor? Is there any comparison we can draw between this feat and an easily quantifiable explosion, energy beam like a laser, or something to that effect?

I guess this is a thread to get a reasonable explanation for the exact nature of this feat.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In case it was ever up for debate

Chris Hemsworth is the best Chris

Avatar image for aquatic_pianist
Aquatic_Pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomkatie: I dunno, both he and Evans looks like BAMFS.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By titing2101

this scene CAN have multiple feats

1. strength - if only we could qunatify that

2. Energy / heat durability - this one has been calculated by some but still in dispute AFAIK

3. blunt durability - IMO there is a force expelled from the rig. After thor was holding onto it he was blown away. Im not sure how strong the force is,

but as eitri said, youl will taking the full force of the star(many people still cant accept this cause of how a neutron star behaves and try to ignore the RIG/MECHANISM attached to the star).

So it comes to question what does Eitri meant by FULL FORCE OF THE STAR? (HEAT/ENERGY) or (FORCE and HEAT)

RL4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as feats go, it’s Sustained Heat, Radiation, and Blunt damage

But that won’t stop people from having an aneurism as they rapidly become an astrophysics expert in the battle forums to lowball or highball the hell out of it.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

His beard absorbed the brunt of the heat. But any real man with a beard can do that.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rl4 said:

As far as feats go, it’s Sustained Heat, Radiation, and Blunt damage

But that won’t stop people from having an aneurism as they rapidly become an astrophysics expert in the battle forums to lowball or highball the hell out of it.

agreed

and lol at the second part because its so true XD

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought him surviving the exploding ship was as impressive. It was a very small star that only emitted enough heat to melt Uru. Even his clothes were still there.

HATSoffMELO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's a Gamma Ray Burst

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@havenless: well you wouldn't want him naked on the movie now, wouldn't ya?

On second thought a lot of women would want that

hulkuberstomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hulkuberstomp

It is heat/radiation durability feat.

It is not a blunt fore feat,and not a srength feat(except moving that rings)

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Well it is kinda odd. Since what we see is that the dwarves have managed to 'focus fire' the stars energy into a tiny area, likely to make them able to get this close to it without being burned to a crisp. But since Thor is in the way all the time, I can't help but wonder if he didn't disrupt the normal process by standing in the way. I wouldn't say it's a blunt force feat since all the force is the heat, which is normally just disrupted air molecules that expand... but he's in space, and there isn't any air?

Another thing I don't get is why all his clothes weren't burnt off of him... like do Asgardian tailors make clothes so they can go swim in lava flows or something?

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By titing2101

@outside_85 said:

Well it is kinda odd. Since what we see is that the dwarves have managed to 'focus fire' the stars energy into a tiny area, likely to make them able to get this close to it without being burned to a crisp. But since Thor is in the way all the time, I can't help but wonder if he didn't disrupt the normal process by standing in the way. I wouldn't say it's a blunt force feat since all the force is the heat, which is normally just disrupted air molecules that expand... but he's in space, and there isn't any air?

Another thing I don't get is why all his clothes weren't burnt off of him... like do Asgardian tailors make clothes so they can go swim in lava flows or something?

i remembered asking this kind of question always why goku's top is always blown away and not his pants XD

till now i didnt find an answer

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquatic_pianist:

It wasn't a blunt force feat. The beam hit several other things and did nothing but heat them up. It's a great heat resistance feat for Thor.

As for quantifying the temperature, again, there's no way I can think of. But its safe to assume that Thor is more or less immune to heat based attacks from the characters he is usually pit against.

HATSoffMELO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Clothe Argument is pretty Stupid this a PG13 Movie there not going to show his crispy butt on Cam

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Clothe Argument is pretty Stupid this a PG13 Movie there not going to show his crispy butt on Cam

LOL!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@outside_85 said:

i remembered asking this kind of question always why goku's top is always blown away and not his pants XD

It's the most important questions we ask :)

Why do clothes on men only get ruined so we can see their pecks? And why to ruined clothes on women still cover all the naughty bits? :)

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101 said:
@outside_85 said:

It's the most important questions we ask :)

Why do clothes on men only get ruined so we can see their pecks? And why to ruined clothes on women still cover all the naughty bits? :)

The only thing we ask to be accurate about. XD

never leave bits when everything else is destroyed!

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomkatie said:

In case it was ever up for debate

Chris Hemsworth is the best Chris

id go with chris pine for this if we include DCEU