MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

The movie will be a soild 7

To MCU Thor fanboys the movie will cause they're pants explode dark days are looming for the vine

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Yassassin

>expecting something different from capeshit

No Caption Provided

C'mon now, I'm sure the movie will be fine for what it set out to be.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@revan2424: my point is that we are all part of the audience that would like a somewhat accurate comic book movie

this is wasting both Ragnarok and World War Hulk in a very similar war to DC wasting Death of Superman

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: @thelastdragonborn: @farkam:

@rbt said:

7.2 on IMDb which I trust way more than RottenTomatoes. Watching regardless.

Dont Trust IMDB just yet it only has 6 people and one of them gave it a 1/10 and complained that ragnarok wasnt dark enough. Go read those reviews first Guys

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Spambot

RT now posting critic reviews and have it at 97%/7.8 rating. Which will prob project to about 90%/7.6 which is pretty damn good.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_ragnarok_2017/

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@revan2424: my point is that we are all part of the audience that would like a somewhat accurate comic book movie

this is wasting both Ragnarok and World War Hulk in a very similar war to DC wasting Death of Superman

Hard to say it wasted these stories without having seen the movie yet.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Mrnoital

@saberscar223: I read a couple reviews, none of them on IMDB

the problem is that the comedy is the top praised aspect on a movie based on 2 serious storylines

someone said you don't have to wait more than 5 minutes for a joke

and I find that disappointing for a movie based on both World War Hulk and Ragnarok

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: true, but going by the reviews, its not hard to say that they didn't get the movie to be comic accurate

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@spambot: true, but going by the reviews, its not hard to say that they didn't get the movie to be comic accurate

Well at this point i don't expect a faithful comic adaption of any of it. I'm just saying that its hard to say that means they wasted the stories by not doing so. Movies and comics are two different mediums. The idea that every comic story would translate to a great movie just isn't accurate.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@saberscar223: I read a couple reviews, none of them on IMDB

the problem is that the comedy is the top praised aspect on a movie based on 2 serious storylines

someone said you don't have to wait more than 5 minutes for a joke

and I find that disappointing for a movie based on both World War Hulk and Ragnarok

I hear there's a joke literally right after a huge, pivotal scene. My excitement for this movie went down a bit after reading that.

Apparently, there's a joke right after Asgaard is destroyed :/

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: true, but once again, going by the reviews it doesn't even seem close, like they weren't going for a similar tone at all, which they clearly weren't cause they got a comedy director to make some very serious storylines

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

I don't think you can waste DoS lol it sucked.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: wow, really? right then?

that will probably be worse than Star Lords dance off bit

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@spambot: true, but once again, going by the reviews it doesn't even seem close, like they weren't going for a similar tone at all, which they clearly weren't cause they got a comedy director to make some very serious storylines

Well, as a comic fan I don't see cbms with the expectation of them doing faithful adaptions of comic stories. Its just unrealistic to expect that imo. Sometimes it happens but even then they don't always turn into great movies. I'm a big Thor fan but my main thing is whether they do the characters justice more so than the stories they may be basing the movie upon.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@buttersdaman000: wow, really? right then?

that will probably be worse than Star Lords dance off bit

Yeah, but for some people these movies are comedies first and foremost so I guess the Ragnorok joke will be just as divisive...

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mrnoital

@spambot: I don't expect them to get everything to be comic accurate, but I do expect them to get the spirit of the story right

I expect them to try, not to take a crap on the source material

its like taking a Stephen Kind book, and turning a serious horror into a chick flick

creative liberties can be taken, but at least try to get something similar that represents the original story

and from what I read Thor was straight up the pretend character he was in those comedy shorts where he had a roommate

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By WastelandMan

@laughingbatman said:
@tj849 said:
@tsciallsolle3451 said:

DCEU movies' early reviews being good: Comicvine users say reviewers are biased fans and thus not reliable/objective...

MCU movies' early reviews being good: Comicvine users cry awesome sauce! Going to stomp other movies in quality for sure.

This is fiction and literally never happens.

It's early screenings that are dismissed and the same is done for Marvel movies. These are critic reviews which are different.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: There's a difference between taking a crap on source material and simply not making it exactly like the comic though. Hela seems to be done just fine based on what I've seen. Obviously mcu Thor has more a sense of humor than comic Thor but for the most part I think Hemsworth sort of pulls it off. Just have to see it then I'll be able to say whether I liked it.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: from the trilers she seems like a badass serious villain, from the reviews she's just as funny as Thor, who is apparently funnier than ever

so, whatever

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot:

MCU Thor and comic Thor are only similar in name.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Spambot

@spambot:

It goes a bit beyond name but at the end of the day its a movie interpretation of the character. Its very subjective to try and draw a line in the sand as to how similar they are since comic Thor's personality can vary based upon who is writing him.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

@spambot:

It goes a bit beyond name but at the end of the day its a movie interpretation of the character. Its very subjective to try and draw a line in the sand as to how similar they are since comic Thor's personality can vary based upon who is writing him.

How so? Thor has literally become flanderized.

I wish more people could apply the bolded to other movie universes though :/ lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba513314c41c
deactivated-5ba513314c41c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DCEU movies' early reviews being good: Comicvine users say reviewers are biased fans and thus not reliable/objective...

MCU movies' early reviews being good: Comicvine users cry awesome sauce! Going to stomp other movies in quality for sure.

I agree with DCEU often being overrated, but MCU is definitely overrated.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Thor-Parker

"Fun" isn't a dirty word. It's also not a word that means "not art" or "lacking drama." And the word "funny" likewise doesn't negate artistic integrity or drama. Anyone who thinks these words are contrary to great filmmaking or "true art" simply doesn't know what they're talking about, and should probably stop trying to discuss cinema. Humor, comedy, and satire not only have a long and glorious history in art and expression, they are in fact very hard to do correctly. Writing comedy and directing comedy is every bit as difficult, if not more so, than straightforward drama in many ways. And to whatever extent fun and comedy in films can also serve to purely entertain sometimes and to add levity to situations, that's not bad nor limiting of art either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2017/10/19/review-thor-ragnarok-promises-a-grand-eccentric-vision-for-marvels-future/#4a4ce521fc3a

m2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never had a doubt with Taika Waititi. He's just on a roll right now.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I hear about is this movie being funny, that really seems to be the focus of everything I’ve heard. That’s great, I do go to the theater to have a good time after all, be it a fun movie or serious one, but what about the performances and story?...I hope Taika focused on those to as much as making the film funny

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Spambot

@buttersdaman000 said:
@spambot said:

I wish more people could apply the bolded to other movie universes though :/ lol

You'd need to elaborate on why you feel the bolded is true about him but his personality does vary by the writer. Under Fraction's run for instance he was kind of a dumb brute, under Aaron he was more just a generic hero(not including OKT or young Thor who was kind of an idiot) until he became unworthy and became emo/hobo Thor. Under JMS he was very serious and more stoic. Simonson's Thor was sort of happy go lucky but also came across as having a certain degree of wisdom. It varies.

theredhood44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By theredhood44

Its at 97, prob gon go down to 91

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@spambot said:

You'd need to elaborate on why you feel the bolded is true about him but his personality does vary by the writer. Under Fraction's run for instance he was kind of a dumb brute, under Aaron he was more just a generic hero(not including OKT or young Thor who was kind of an idiot) until he became unworthy and became emo/hobo Thor. Under JMS he was very serious and more stoic. Simonson's Thor was sort of happy go lucky but also came across as having a certain degree of wisdom. It varies.

He's become flanderized because the humorous aspect of the character has seemingly overtaken all the other aspects of the character. He's more of a goofball then anything based on the trailers and clips i've seen.

Fair enough. Writers do take more liberties with Thor, and less people seem to care about that than with DC characters.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

He's become flanderized because the humorous aspect of the character has seemingly overtaken all the other aspects of the character. He's more of a goofball then anything based on the trailers and clips i've seen.

Fair enough. Writers do take more liberties with Thor, and less people seem to care about that than with DC characters.

ok, I thought you were referring to comic Thor. I semi agree on the humor aspect possibly going too far but I'm not sure I'd say that about all his mcu appearances as a generalization. I think Hemsworth just prefers a comedic Thor and Waititi seemed ready to indulge him in Ragnarok. It can be done in a low key way though without compromising his entire character or the movie.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@spambot said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

ok, I thought you were referring to comic Thor. I semi agree on the humor aspect possibly going too far but I'm not sure I'd say that about all his mcu appearances as a generalization. I think Hemsworth just prefers a comedic Thor and Waititi seemed ready to indulge him in Ragnarok. It can be done in a low key way though without compromising his entire character or the movie.

Which is exactly why he's been flanderized.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better to have a humorous Thor who is still capable and badass without his hammer. Than an emo, stoic who is always depressed and self hating, talking about how he is not worthy and is not as good as he was before, will the narrative keeps telling us that gods are terrible and that Jane is the best and is worthy because... Damn, 3 years and Aaron still hasn't said anything about why she can wield the hammer.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Which is exactly why he's been flanderized.

I'll have to see Ragnarok before I'd say whether the humor side imbalanced the other sides of him. In Avengers and AoU I think it was balanced out enough.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Better to have a humorous Thor who is still capable and badass without his hammer. Than an emo, stoic who is always depressed and self hating, talking about how he is not worthy and is not as good as he was before, will the narrative keeps telling us that gods are terrible and that Jane is the best and is worthy because... Damn, 3 years and Aaron still hasn't said anything about why she can wield the hammer.

lol true shit right here

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By adamTRMM

@deltahuman:

I was talking strictly business PoV ;) I mean, for Marvel, as long as there are more viewers, they're the bigger winners.

I felt burned a little by MCU as of recent so I'm picky with which flick of theirs I'm going to watch in cinema. Last Nov (damn, almost a year already) IIRC was dry so I went to Strange and well, while I don't want my money back, I certainly left the theater with a feeling of "a lot to be desired". GotG 2 and Homecoming I only considered if my sister should leave my nephew with me, so I'd take him to those as a pastime, and since the dates never synced, it never worked out between us I guess, still, I can totally see what you mean here. For Ragnarok, I was all hype in the beginning just by concept alone. I'm a big fan of the Thor Disassembled Ragnarok story, so having even some elements of it made me excited. Then they also announced they will be adapting Planet Hulk there, while a missed opportunity for a potential standalone Hulk movie to happen, with the whole license problems, it grew on me as a concept eventually. But now they are announcing that those two pretty hardcore and tragic storylines I like so much are going to get comedied because some snowflakes can't handle darker tones? But that's how the freaking original stories are supposed to be! Can't say I'm excited still. I know I should be judging it for what it is, but they are misrepresenting the stories I actually like...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#88  Edited By mickey-mouse

@rbt: IMBD is filled with trolls, this is a known fact by now...I can share some articles with you.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Chris-Sama

Thread got salty real quick.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

pretty sure Iron Man 3 got great reviews too

Iron Man 3 is one of MCU's finest. As soon as people get over their butthurt agenda that the Mandarin wasn't who they wanted to be. I see more complaining about that than Leto's Joker (which was one of the worst iterations the character). A great deal of people didn't even know Mandarin was a character until Iron Man 3 hit. I feel like people just hate, because its common to hate it now when anyone with half a thought would know Iron Man 2 was one of the worst MCU films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@del_torro said:

lol true shit right here

On God.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@thor_parker82: thank you for sharing that. Has no one seen Breaking Bad? Comedy can be a great storytelling tool.

Also lol at people saying this film is getting good reviews because Marvel has a formula. Have they even read the reviews? Because it's being praised as a breathe of fresh air and something different. Or is it only a different movie if everyone looks doom and gloom and people die? Because we all loved that Batman v Superman movie.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

pretty sure Iron Man 3 got great reviews too

Iron Man 3 is one of MCU's finest. As soon as people get over their butthurt agenda that the Mandarin wasn't who they wanted to be. I see more complaining about that than Leto's Joker (which was one of the worst iterations the character). A great deal of people didn't even know Mandarin was a character until Iron Man 3 hit. I feel like people just hate, because its common to hate it now when anyone with half a thought would know Iron Man 2 was one of the worst MCU films.

I stopped reading after the bolded line cause no, it was simply a terrible twist, terribly done, and the replacement villain was horrible

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Thanks for your one sided input. I can see why people love having discussions with you.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Saberscar223
Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Mrnoital
MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I don't care about ritten anyway don't trust there opinions, mine is different mostly anyway. I prefer to watch and judge for myself

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: thank you for sharing that. Has no one seen Breaking Bad? Comedy can be a great storytelling tool.

Also lol at people saying this film is getting good reviews because Marvel has a formula. Have they even read the reviews? Because it's being praised as a breathe of fresh air and something different. Or is it only a different movie if everyone looks doom and gloom and people die? Because we all loved that Batman v Superman movie.

Well said.

I mean, I am worried that the movie won´t take itself serious when it needs to, it is the death of the asgardian civilization after all, but these comments judging the movie before they even see it and saying the MCU "formula" sucks are ridiculous.