Thor and his power in the MCU

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a question.

In Thor 1, when Odin took away Thor’s powers and his hammer, he couldn’t pick it up until he was worthy again. He was also powerless without it, and didn’t gain his powers back until he was worthy enough to wield it again. So essentially Mjolnir is the reason for powers, at least at this point in the MCU.

Fast forward to Ragnarok, and Odin pretty much tells him his powers don’t come from the hammer, but from himself. So he summons the lightning and power without any weapons. He can manipulate it without it.(Something he never does again after Thor 3, but I won’t go there).

Fast forward to Endgame, and Cap wields the hammer and “has the powers of Thor”. He summons lightning and everything. So my question is, since the powers of Thor don’t come from the hammer, according to Odin, but they come from Thor himself, and the hammer is just something to help Thor harness it. So I’m confused really. Can anyone worthy be as powerful as Thor? Is Thor the only one that can have power without the hammer? Can Cap have the power of Thor without the hammer now? Does the power come directly from Thor? just need it cleared up. MCU Thor has really been a mess lol.

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The power has always been Thor's. Mjolnir was just a medium to channel his powers. Only in Ragnarok after Odin's pep-talk Thor realizes that he didn't need the hammer to use his powers. However, Odin put an enchantment on Mjolnir when he banished him to earth that "whosoever be worthy and wields this hammer shall possess the power of Thor". So when Cap wielded Mjolnir, he got amped by Thor's powers, not the hammer's. The hammer simply acted as a medium to transfer Thor's powers to Cap. It's quite simple, I think.

Killermovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So in Thor one technically he still had powers but didn't know?

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killermovies: I think Odin stripped his powers as a whole. Then the hammer redeemed. But turns out he doesn’t need the hammer. Confusing a little lol

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killermovies: I think Odin stripped his powers as a whole. Then the hammer redeemed. But turns out he doesn’t need the hammer. Confusing a little lol

Yeah, when he became worthy again and the hammer came back to him his powers were restored. It's not that confusing.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its his trial..

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question.

In Thor 1, when Odin took away Thor’s powers and his hammer, he couldn’t pick it up until he was worthy again. He was also powerless without it, and didn’t gain his powers back until he was worthy enough to wield it again. So essentially Mjolnir is the reason for powers, at least at this point in the MCU.

Fast forward to Ragnarok, and Odin pretty much tells him his powers don’t come from the hammer, but from himself. So he summons the lightning and power without any weapons. He can manipulate it without it.(Something he never does again after Thor 3, but I won’t go there).

Fast forward to Endgame, and Cap wields the hammer and “has the powers of Thor”. He summons lightning and everything. So my question is, since the powers of Thor don’t come from the hammer, according to Odin, but they come from Thor himself, and the hammer is just something to help Thor harness it. So I’m confused really. Can anyone worthy be as powerful as Thor? Is Thor the only one that can have power without the hammer? Can Cap have the power of Thor without the hammer now? Does the power come directly from Thor? just need it cleared up. MCU Thor has really been a mess lol.

Not really, there are similar thread like this.

its how odins magic and the enchantment works. similar to the comics/main universe.

its his trial. To learn humility as odin intended him to do so. Sealing thors power[inborn power includes strength, durabilty and weather control] is easy for odin. and could grant others power similar to thor. Odinforce works in many convenient ways. Iike on loki, human size and color.

If thor is worthy the seal will be broken.

the enchanment just grants power to other worthy, a gift from odin.

Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Lan_Fan

First of all, it wasn't do to worthiness, Odin stripped Thor from his power and banished him to earth. He then enchanted Mjolnir so that anyone who could lift it would get the power of Thor.

So technically, Thor's power don't come from Mjolnir, but if you lifted Mjolnir, you'd get the power of Thor.

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan: so technically, Captain America had the powers of Thor without the hammer? Could he manipulate lightning without it like Thor?

Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thorofasgard: Most likely not. When Thor became worthy again, his banishment time was done, so he got his power back, and wouldn't need to rely on Mjolnir anymore since it was his own power to begin with. Captain America on the other hand, got the power of Thor, but the power was never his, but rather channeled from Mjolnir.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s actually a plot hole. Thor was summoning lightening in the movie without his hammer and cap was doing it with the lightning. Also, remember when thor said no mortal could wield weapons made by the dark elves and cap actually was able to wield stormbreaker? Just don’t think about it too much.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another...

- In Thor 1 Thor has this hammer called Mjolnir that can control lightning, so he was called the God of Thunder because of the hammer, but Thor still was Asgardian without the hammer.

- Later in the movie Odin depowered Thor to the human condition, angry with Thor actions Odin created an enchantment in the hammer that would allow Thor to be back (permanently) to his God condition if he was worthy.

- That happened but the enchantment remained in the hammer, but Thor still thought that the ability to control weather was only due to the hammer.

- In Ragnarok the hammer got destroyed, but Thor discovered that his capability to control lightning was not in the hammer but inside him, and Odin said the hammer was initially just to focus it, and the enchantment was not initially intended/planned, but it remained in the hammer giving anyone else that is worthy Thor's powers when they wield it...

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question.

he took Thor's power as a whole and not only the hammer. If you go back to Thor 1 ,then you can see Odin taking those discs off his armour

yes it's it's correct

Fast forward to Endgame, and Cap wields the hammer and “has the powers of Thor”. He summons lightning and everything. So my question is, since the powers of Thor don’t come from the hammer, according to Odin, but they come from Thor himself, and the hammer is just something to help Thor harness it. So I’m confused really. Can anyone worthy be as powerful as Thor?

perhaps

Is Thor the only one that can have power without the hammer?

yes

Can Cap have the power of Thor without the hammer now?

nope

Does the power come directly from Thor? just need it cleared up. MCU Thor has really been a mess lol.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man, it's not like these movies are Interstellar or Inception, I'm seriously getting worried.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, it's not like these movies are Interstellar or Inception, I'm seriously getting worried.

lol. how many thread like these have we answered? as if no one cares to read

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s actually a plot hole. Thor was summoning lightening in the movie without his hammer and cap was doing it with the lightning. Also, remember when thor said no mortal could wield weapons made by the dark elves and cap actually was able to wield stormbreaker? Just don’t think about it too much.

not really a plothole.

cap wielding SB is actually possible because he is worthy and has thors power[strength,durabilty and weather control],

he'd go back to regular cap when not holding mjolnir for a definite time.

GeraltsOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GeraltsOpinion

Odin decides the rules. He made Thor mortal and he made the enchantment on mjonir.Once Thor proved he was worthy his godhood was restored

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:

lol. how many thread like these have we answered? as if no one cares to read

More than we should answer honestly.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: it’s definitely a plot hole. Thor specifically said that mortals can’t wield those weapons because they would basically die. Stormbreaker doesn’t have odin’s worthy enchantment. Cap should not be able to use it.

Namebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Namebk

@christianrapper said:

@titing2101: it’s definitely a plot hole. Thor specifically said that mortals can’t wield those weapons because they would basically die. Stormbreaker doesn’t have odin’s worthy enchantment. Cap should not be able to use it.

Thor wasn't including people who could wield Mjolnir since to him he was the only one who could at the time. Mjolnir itself did something to Cap and since he's pretty much Thor he can use all of Thor's weapons.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: Captain america had just wielded mjolnir so i had the power of Thor. It most likely has a period of time that it wears of in. Just like the comics.

MICKEY-MOUSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You’re confusing yourself about something simple.

Thor 1. Odin strips Thor of his power for being a dick and places it in the hammer. The power is Thor’s, now it’s been put into the hammer until he shows he’s worthy of such power.

Ragnork; Confirms this. You’re not the god of hammers silly. The hammers just help give him a focus/boost.

IW: He needs a Thanos killing Weapon, he goes and gets one.

MICKEY-MOUSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By MICKEY-MOUSE

Cap Having the Hammer doesn’t mean Thor’s powers come from the hammer. If they did then Thor would become a normal human Or Asgardian once the hammer got crushed inThor 3.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By titing2101

@christianrapper: cap that time has the power of thor. He is strong as thor.. no plothole mate.

You might think "but cap isnt holding the hammer when he held SB"

Worthys letting go of mjolnir does not instantly take away the power of thor, there's a period of time where you can let go of the hammer and still has the power of thor