This Week's Essential Comics: 10/6/14

• 84 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (41773 posts) - - Show Bio

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a great week to be a comics fan! On TV, we'll have new episodes of Gotham, The Flash, Arrow, and The Walking Dead. Additionally, New York Comic-Con begins this Thursday and we'll hopefully we'll see you there. That alone is exciting enough, but how could anyone forget about the medium where all of these stories and characters began?! There's a whole lot of appealing comics coming out this Wednesday and we want to make sure some of the big ones are your radar. We've looked over the latest list of new releases and we'll tell you which ones we're stoked to check out and why. Once you're all set seeing what we recommend, go ahead and visit the comments section so you can tell the world what you're excited to read. Seriously, if you think something is getting sold short, show it some love in the comments. Maybe that'll inspire someone to pick it up. Now, let's see what the staff picked!

Tony "G-Man" Guerrero's picks

BATMAN #35

No Caption Provided

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are not slowing down. With an ominous title like Endgame, there’s no telling what this arc could be about. The fact that the story has managed to remain a secret all this time is simply fantastic. Scott did tease a little on our podcast recently.

Are we just supposed to assume this will be another home run for Snyder and Capullo? That’s an easy assumption to make based on their track record. I can say that I have read the issue and we will have a spoiler-y interview on Wednesday with Snyder about the issue. It’s something people should easily enjoy.

Visit USA Today for an extra preview page.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

WYTCHES #1

No Caption Provided

On the same podcast mentioned above, Scott Snyder gave us his view on witches and the supernatural. He gave a good indication as to what you can expect in this series. We were able to post an early review for this and it’s every bit as good and disturbing as you would expect from Snyder and Jock.

This isn’t just a gruesome horror story. There is an actual story and characters you can get to know. Just be ready for that creepy sinking feeling that something really bad is going to happen. It’s a great story with spectacular art.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

BIRTHRIGHT #1

No Caption Provided

Joshua Williamson has been on a roll lately. With successes with GHOSTED and NAILBITER, he’s not letting up. BIRTHRIGHT is his next comic that’s ready to blow you away.

The story deals with the disappearance of a young child. You might think you know how the story will go but it does take quite a turn. The missing child does return and it’s not what anyone expects. As if that wasn’t enough, be ready for yet another twist. Like I said, Williamson is not holding back.

To go along with this story, we get some pretty amazing art by Andrei Bressan. Don’t miss out on this.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

BATGIRL #35

No Caption Provided

Are you ready for the all-newBatgirl? It’s still the same Batgirl we had. It’s still Barbara Gordon. DC is giving the book a makeover and there’s a new creative team consisting of Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr. This is a book a lot of people have been talking about. DC is shaking things up and trying some different things. Chances are this is one that will fly off the shelves so you’ll want to make sure you pick it up to see what all the buzz has been about.

Go to The A.V. Club for two more pages.

CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA #1

No Caption Provided

Archie Comics are not just for kids. In fact, this comic is absolutely not for kids. Following in the footsteps of AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is giving us another dark telling of a familiar character. It should be noted this is NOT in the same universe or continuity of AFTERLIFE. It’s a different alternate world set in the 1960s. We were able to read and review this one early and it’s pretty fantastic.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

AVENGERS AND X-MEN: AXIS #1

No Caption Provided

Whether you like them or hate them, big events are hard to ignore. This is a story that Rick Remender has been setting up since UNCANNY AVENGERS first started. With Red Skull in possession of the deceased Charles Xavier’s telepathy, he’s on a rampage to turn everything upside down. With other repercussions headed our way and a bunch of spin off series, this is a series you’ll want to keep tabs on to see how it affects the entire Marvel Universe.

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring's picks

XO MANOWAR #0

No Caption Provided

ARMOR HUNTERS just wrapped up and the Valiant universe is completely changed. Everything has REALLY changed about Aric and how his armor works with him as well. Frankly, I can't wait to see the aftermath of one of the most enjoyable events of the past few years. Robert Venditti has done a stellar job with this series and it's the best Valiant has to offer, and that's saying a lot. I'm tired of being a broken record and saying "buy this book." I will now resort to threats. I'm going to tell your parents that your recent job fired you and your girlfriend or boyfriend left you because you had a bad attitude. Your parents will be so mad, unless you buy X-O MANOWAR.

GHOSTED #14

No Caption Provided

Oh, is it time for my current favorite on-going series to come back out? It is? GOOD. I'm loving this new story line involving Trick's (RIP) son and the idea of haunting people as your death wish. Listen, there's a lot of good books for you to pick up every week, but let me give you reason to get this one. It's a mixture of horror and heist with a dash of humor. There's nothing else like it on the shelves, and if you're someone already enjoying NAILBITER from Image, you should be reading this because it's the same writer. By the way, if you also don't buy this, the same threat from above applies. I have all of your parent's home phone numbers.

Honorable Mention: PUNKS THE COMIC #1

Gregg "k4tz" Katzman's picks

HAWKEYE VS. DEADPOOL #1

No Caption Provided

Okay, it's disappointing that there hasn't been a big brawl between these two just yet (maybe that'll change in this chapter?), but writer Gerry Duggan's sharp script more than makes up for that. This limited series takes some of the best elements from Wade and Clint's books and puts them into one hugely entertaining story. It has the clever humor and creative visuals that HAWKEYE delivers and it has plenty of the laughs you'd expect from the merc with a mouth's book -- we even spotted his supporting cast in the last chapter. Could we see more of them? I definitely hope so! If you take a look at the preview, you'll see Matteo Lolli's artwork is a solid fit for the lighthearted ride, too. Give Duggan a comic with Deadpool and there's a 150% chance I'll buy it; the guy does such a great job with the character.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: FIRE AND STONE #1

No Caption Provided

Look, I'm going to be completely honest here: I have no idea if this will be an amazing return of the AvP franchise. However, what I do know is I'm ridiculously excited for it and the preview absolutely has me interested in seeing more. First and foremost, there's the simple fact that I adore the joining of these two franchises. It's full of so much sci-fi action goodness and, with Ariel Olivetti's artwork, you know it's going to look awesome. Seeing as this will connect to the other limited series titles Dark Horse is bringing back (Prometheus, Aliens, Predator), I'm curious to see what Christopher Sebela will do to expand the scope of this story. You know, when he's not busy making these glorious aliens kill one another or anyone unfortunate enough to get in their way, that is! Dark Horse, you've made me such a happy person by bringing these franchises back and I'm so excited to see what this chapter will dish out. Now, go appreciate Olivetti's artwork in the preview below!

THE PUNISHER #11

No Caption Provided

Frank Castle's surrounded by total scum in a prison and chaos is about to erupt back in Los Angeles? Yeah, this new story has my undivided attention. Nathan Edmondson has been doing an excellent work keeping Castle's book fast-paced and oh-so-exciting. Now that some major plot points are in motion, I'm curious to see how it'll all play out for ol' Frank and his supporting cast. Plus, Mitch Gerads always creates some appropriately striking and vivid pages. I mean, just take a look at how he handles those guards assaulting Frank!

Honorable Mentions: NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #3, TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE #3

Corey "Undeadpool" Schroeder's picks

CAPTAIN MARVEL #8

No Caption Provided

We now return to more HI-LARIOUS hijinks on That Flerken Cat! Starring Carol Danvers, Rocket Raccoon and, of course, CHEWIE! That Flerken Cat is filmed in front of a cosmic studio audience. Last issue showed us that not only were Rockets accusations against little Chewie true, but they now have unexpected, bizarre consequences. So while we're now all waiting for answers and to see how this impacts the future of the title, I have no doubt that Kelly-Sue DeConnick will craft a compelling, delightful narrative about a...space cat and Marcio Takara's visuals will no doubt continue to be a highlight as well.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

AVENGERS #36

No Caption Provided

Whatever's happening when Time Runs Out is apparently bleeding out from NEW AVENGERS into Jonathan Hickman's mainline Avengers team. And whiel the rumor mill is furious working away what this could all be leading up to, Hickman hasn't steered the series in a predictable nor dull direction yet, so anything (and I mean that more literally than mots times) is possible. After a head-scratching storyarc that had a fair amount of payoff at the end, I'm hoping for something a little easier to comprehend up front but regardless, I can't turn down the return of Stefano Caselli to Hickman's Avengers.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #8

No Caption Provided

Ms. Marvel crossing over with Spidey under the auspices of Dan Slott? You HAD me at Ms. Marvel crossing over! I may not have fully agreed with all the decisions made since the renumbering, but it has, at its heart, been a thrilling, character-driven ride and that's all I really need from my Spidey titles on a regular basis. Series regular Giuseppe Camuncoli is sticking around to led his edgy, jagged style to the further adventures of Peter Parker, and APPARENTLY we're getting a visit from across the pond (and the dimensional barrier) from a character I had no idea existed but now desperately want to know everything about: SPIDER UK!

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Honorable Mention: BATMAN ETERNAL #27

Follow us on Twitter: CV, Tony, Mat, Gregg, Corey.

#1 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1974 posts) - - Show Bio

A most excellent week for me.

Black Science

Copperhead

Wytches

Birthright (if it's not sold out, forgot to pre-order)

Batman

Batman Eternal

Amazing Spidey

Punisher

Rocket Raccoon

#2 Edited by Boynerdgeek (2733 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman #35 for me. Based on the cover looks like if Geoff Johns decide to leave Justice League then Scott Snyder will take over

#3 Edited by VanderSEXXX (975 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman #35, Futures End #23, Punisher #11, and Axis #1 for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#4 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Rocket Raccoon and X-O Manowar.

#5 Edited by Zoch81 (422 posts) - - Show Bio

X-O Manowar 0, Avengers 36 and Death Vigil 4

#6 Posted by EyeDCyou (7512 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite excited for this new Batgirl. That new costume is straight baller. (I don't actually talk like that)

#7 Edited by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman #35 (Looks insane!), Futures End #22 and Wytches, Earth 2 Worlds End.

#8 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is batman missing a hand

#9 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman #35

Birthright #1

Black Science #9

Justice League United #5

Wytches #1

Maybe pick up Batgirl #35.

#11 Posted by kidchipotle (15764 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't going to get Birthright…but now I am. It looks awesome!

Image:

Copperhead #2

Sex Criminals #8

Marvel Comics

All New Ultimates #9

Amazing Spider-Man #7

Avengers #36

AXIS #1

Hawkeye vs Deadpool #1

Punisher #11

Savage Hulk #5

Valiant:

X-O Manowar #0

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
#12 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man said:

@jayc1324: Well...

Don't tell me, don't tell me, I'm not listening! LALALALALALALALALA!!!

#13 Edited by the_stegman (40392 posts) - - Show Bio

Another huge week for me

DC:

-Batgirl

-Batman

-Earth 2

-Earth 2: World's End

-New Suicide Squad

-Justice League United

-Klarion (give it a try)

-Green Lantern Corps

Image:

-Wytches

-Death Vigil

#16 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: well its part of the preview so I wouldn't consider it a spoiler, but I deleted it anyway. Sorry buddy :p

#17 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome week for me.

Batman #35

Wytches #1

Birthright #1

Death Vigiil #4

Copperhead #2

Avatar image for transformers1024
#18 Posted by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

Ughh. Can Snyder please just try and stay in one time period? Is that so hard to ask given what's going on in the Bat-books?

#19 Posted by Cap10nate (3629 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers, Punisher, Axis, and X-O Manowar

#20 Edited by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

Just Rocket Raccoon. I may get batgirl in trade though.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#21 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

Not liking the involvement of the Justice League in Snyder's BATMAN. Not a big fan of the cover either. Hoping it's not another Zero Year.

#22 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

@battle_forum_junkie: well its part of the preview so I wouldn't consider it a spoiler, but I deleted it anyway. Sorry buddy :p

Nah, man, you're fine. I didn't see the preview, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy the comic now that I know what happens. Especially with Capullo drawing the Justice League. Ever since Snyder talked about End Game in the Comic Con interview I was hoping this was what he was talking about. :D

#23 Edited by mak13131313 (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

My pull list for the week,

1. Batman #35

2. Batman Eternal #27

3. Batgirl #35

4. Earth 2 #27

5. Earth 2 Worlds End #1

6. Futures End #23

7. Green Lantern Corps #35

8. Injustice Gods Among Us Year Three #1

9. Justice League United #5

10. New Suicide Squad #3

11. Superman/Wonder Woman #12

12. Worlds Finest #27

13. Birthright #1

14. Wytches #1

15. Big Trouble in Little China #5

#24 Edited by Hanson724 (607 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

Batman Eternal

GL Corps

Futures End

Black Science

Wytches

GI Joe RAH

Punisher

XO Manowar

#25 Edited by mje360 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm avoiding Batgirl like the plague.

Batman, Spider-man, and Captain Marvel for me.

#26 Posted by Captain13 (4783 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern Corps 35

Batman 35

#27 Posted by iDude (1148 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

Batgirl

Futures end

Batman Eternal

#28 Posted by derekvang (1519 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Justice League United
  • Cutter
  • Wytches
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (giving it a try because judging by the cover, it looks pretty cool)
  • A bunch of back issues
  • Some graphic novels
#29 Posted by WeAreMany (544 posts) - - Show Bio

Green lantern corps for godhead

Superman/wonderwoman

Justice league united

#30 Edited by ClawFist (389 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#31 Edited by HushoftheWind (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! Somebody get a moderator over to the Batman Respect thread after Endgame wrap up, it's going to be a zoo there.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
#32 Posted by Fastestmanalive (232 posts) - - Show Bio

Just Superman/Wonder Woman for me this week.

Maybe Worlds Finest with the new direction.

#33 Edited by modunhanul (453 posts) - - Show Bio

Just Green Lantern Corps #35 and Earth 2 World's End #1 for me.

But maybe I should get Batman too.

#34 Posted by dreamfall31 (611 posts) - - Show Bio

So is Batman $4.99 just for the Endgame arc, or is that it's new price from here on out? Been hearing mixed things over which is true.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
#35 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8212 posts) - - Show Bio

God this week hurts my wallet...or it would if I had a comic store near me ;_;

#36 Posted by naked_snake (42 posts) - - Show Bio

You have it listed as amazing spider man #8 but the cover reads #7

#37 Edited by Omega-Man (828 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be getting Batman and wow from the preview alone I'm dropping Batgirl. She's acting like a teenager when she's what? over 25? I thought she was between 25 to 27 from her previous run. Twenty year olds don't act like that. Teenagers do.

#38 Posted by Ultron345 (245 posts) - - Show Bio

6-2 DC gets murked again

#39 Posted by GraniteSoldier (12746 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Spider-Man
  • Batman
  • Rocket Raccoon
  • Captain Marvel

On top of that everything I've missed the last few weeks since I haven't made it to the shop. Going to be expensive when I go.

#40 Posted by Kervan21 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be getting Batman and wow from the preview alone I'm dropping Batgirl. She's acting like a teenager when she's what? over 25? I thought she was between 25 to 27 from her previous run. Twenty year olds don't act like that. Teenagers do.

I'm SOOO glad you said that. I'm not a fan of the suit design. I don't really get the need for it, to be honest. Why fix something that ain't broke? Plus, this kind of behavior is pretty inconsistent with Barbara so far in the New 52, at least as far as how Gail Simone wrote her. I don't think a Barbara who recovered from a paralyzing injury inflicted by the Joker would be taking a selfie.

As far as what I'm looking forward to most: Batman and Wytches top my list.

#41 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1582 posts) - - Show Bio

New Batman arc looks insane!

#42 Posted by Slonewolf (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Eternal #27

Earth 2 #27

Earth 2: World's End #1

Amazing Spider-Man #8

Superman/Wonder Woman #12: Doomed Aftermath

Injustice Year 3

#43 Posted by micah007123 (10836 posts) - - Show Bio

Comixology

#44 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8212 posts) - - Show Bio

@micah said:

@thecheesestabber said:

Comixology

Doesn't work for my computer :/

No Images show up and it loads SOOOOOOOOOOOO Slow on everything else

(College Wi fi)

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
#45 Edited by davidgrantlloyd (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Big Trouble in Little China #5

Sabrina #1

Sex Criminals #8

Crossed Badlands #63

Justice League United #5

Superman/ Wonder Woman #12

#46 Posted by micah007123 (10836 posts) - - Show Bio

@micah said:

@thecheesestabber said:

Comixology

(College Wi fi)

Oh dude that's a bummer, sorry to hear that. You could try http://www.tfaw.com/ And have them delivered to the campus. Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try if you want.

#47 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8212 posts) - - Show Bio

@micah said:

@thecheesestabber said:

@micah said:

@thecheesestabber said:

Comixology

(College Wi fi)

Oh dude that's a bummer, sorry to hear that. You could try http://www.tfaw.com/ And have them delivered to the campus. Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try if you want.

Thanks!

Seven Weeks of comics to catch up on ...@.@

#48 Posted by patrat18 (11747 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman!

#49 Posted by micah007123 (10836 posts) - - Show Bio

@micah said:

@thecheesestabber said:

@micah said:

@thecheesestabber said:

Comixology

(College Wi fi)

Thanks!

Seven Weeks of comics to catch up on ...@.@

No problem, hope it works :)

#50 Posted by MikeGrier (38 posts) - - Show Bio

So stoked for this week! New books from some of my favorite titles. My pull list this week is:

Batman #35

Amazing Spidey #7

Axis #1

Rocket Raccoon #4

Avengers #36

Wytches #1

Black Science #9

Manhattan Prjects #24

Spawn #247

X-O Manowar #0

Also going to pick up Green Lantern Corps #35, haven't been a big fan of Lantern Stewart's adventures of late, but the first 2 issues of Godhead were just two good to not keep reading!