Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#2 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw this on reddit. Unless the film was in major trouble, WB should've kept calm and given it a chance. It's almost like they're going EA on their projects and cutting them up. I bet that if this doesn't do well, we'll get an extended cut or ultimate edition or something of the sort.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (17638 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it sucks because all the trailers look like music videos to advertise Hot Topic merchandise.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: The people who cut the trailers were hired to recut the movie to be more like that since WB didn't trust Ayer.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#5 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

Can somebody give me the TL;DR version??

#6 Edited by Asgaard (4376 posts) - - Show Bio

Warners still urgently needs to jump-start its critical DC Comics universe, raising the stakes for Suicide Squad, which cost at least $175 million to make.

The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even.

Wasn't this movie suppose to have a smaller production budget? Either way if true the content of that article combined with other HReporter articles and WB results in this and last year... All its kinda disturbing...

#7 Posted by Heatforce (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

WB, what's the point in labelling yourself the "creator-driven studio" when you don't allow your creators to create? Oh well, with Suicide Squad it sounds like I'll be enjoying the characters more than the plot so it should at least be an okay movie.

#8 Posted by MonsterStomp (36709 posts) - - Show Bio

WB enforcing their vision instead of letting directors do their job.

Ayer was only given six weeks to write the movie.

The film went through multiple editors because WB didn't have faith in Ayer's experience. Which explains why critics say its choppy and a mess.

#9 Posted by StormShadow_X (16373 posts) - - Show Bio

WB, what's the point in labelling yourself the "creator-driven studio" when you don't allow your creators to create? Oh well, with Suicide Squad it sounds like I'll be enjoying the characters more than the plot so it should at least be an okay movie.

this

#10 Posted by MonsterStomp (36709 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a good thing these points have gone public. Now WB can see their faults, and take a step back. The DCEU have probably more potential than the MCU, but WB is just in control of too much instead of giving these projects a chance.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: WB didn't trust David Ayer to be able to make a tentpole movie and when all the BvS reviews hit they shit the bed and got the trailer guys to recut the movie to be more like the trailer and made the cast do reshoots to add it more liveliness and make the movie less dark and somber.

#12 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

The film went through multiple editors because WB didn't have faith in Ayer's experience. Which explains why critics say its choppy and a mess.

That's a damn shame lol now I want an extended cut

#13 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: WB didn't trust David Ayer to be able to make a tentpole movie and when all the BvS reviews hit they shit the bed and got the trailer guys to recut the movie to be more like the trailer and made the cast do reshoots to add it more liveliness and make the movie less dark and somber.

SMH

#14 Posted by MonsterStomp (36709 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: At least fans have closure now haha.

Hopefully this will make WB realize they should let Directors do their jobs. They didn't trust David Ayer to make a good movie....David Ayer lol

#16 Edited by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

So is the Super Saiyan Hadoken Ultimate Edition coming out or not? At least Marvel Studios lets its directors and writers do their own thing.

#17 Posted by MonsterStomp (36709 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp said:

Hopefully this will make WB realize they should let Directors do their jobs. They didn't trust David Ayer to make a good movie....David Ayer lol

Ikr. I freaking loved End of Watch, and Fury had some intriguing character dynamics. I had complete faith he could pull this off given a more appropriate time to write.

#18 Posted by King_Nomarch (2115 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#19 Posted by JonSmith (4529 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a good thing these points have gone public. Now WB can see their faults, and take a step back. The DCEU have probably more potential than the MCU, but WB is just in control of too much instead of giving these projects a chance.

To be fair, it says pretty explicitly that this was a kneejerk reaction to BvS' poor reception, where they basically let Snyder have free reign, to the point they even let him make an R-rated Superman movie they KNEW they'd have to cut down severely to get into theaters. So basically they went, "M'kay, Snyder! Man of Steel was a bit mixed, but we still trust- CRAP. CRAP. CRAP. WHAT ELSE DO WE HAVE IN THE PIPELINE?! SUICIDE WHAT?! YEAH IT'S GONNA BE SUICIDE, IF WE DON'T GET THIS UNDER CONTROL ASAP, MOVE MOVE MOVE!"

That's not to say this was the right move by any means, but you can hardly blame them for making it.

#20 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, so let me get this straight. The critics aren't at fault here for disliking the film?

#21 Posted by Heatforce (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

So when is the Totally Magnificent Supreme Ultimate Edition coming out? At least Marvel Studios lets it's directors and writers do their own thing.

You're right in that once Marvel does hire a director, they don't go back and recut their work. Whedon's spirit was broken though lol.

#22 Edited by entropy_aegis (20776 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what happens when you throw $250 million plus with the assumption that every movie will either be Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy. They're putting undue pressure on their franchises. Maybe they should budget these movies in such a way that they'll be considered a success even with $450-500 million gross instead of praying and meddling to make sure that they hit the ridiculously high $700 million beak even point and still be disappointed.

I see no reason why WW should be expected to make too much above the first Thor film especially in the most dangerously competitive summer I have ever seen.

#23 Edited by MonsterStomp (36709 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: Honestly, the extended cut was how Snyder intended the film to be seen. WB are the ones who whined about it being too long or having too high a rating. Given the clear contrast of how the audience reacted much more positively to the extended cut, that's hardly Snyder's fault.

#24 Posted by Heatforce (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundroid: No one said that :-P but that doesn't mean the contents of the reviews can't be questioned. Some do have an agenda to push ghostbusters 2016.

#25 Posted by Heatforce (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: 2017 will be more competitive than this year? I must not have been paying attention to anything outside of CBMs for next year.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
#26 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

A major movie studio concerned that a director would be unable to handle the pressures of a big budget summer blockbuster and not satisfied at the tonal direction of the film decided to insert new scenes, new cuts to the film only to make the movie even worse.

I feel as though I read a story similar to this last year...

#27 Edited by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce: Though he did afterwards say that he was sorry for the way he behaved and reacted. He was just overwhelmed at how much freedom he was given especially when that freedom was worth 250 million dollars twice in a row.

#28 Posted by Heatforce (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: Honestly, the extended cut was how Snyder intended the film to be seen. WB are the ones who whined about it being too long or having too high a rating. Given the clear contrast of how the audience reacted much more positively to the extended cut, that's hardly Snyder's fault.

And let's be real, there was not much about the UE that was R-rated except for some blood spatter, a couple of F-bombs, Batfleck a$$ and a more gory superman death. The MPAA simply sucks.

#29 Posted by entropy_aegis (20776 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: 2017 will be more competitive than this year? I must not have been paying attention to anything outside of CBMs for next year.

I dont remember the exact dates but WW opens in very close proximity with Spider-Man, Transformers and a Nolan film.

#30 Posted by JonSmith (4529 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, the extended cut was how Snyder intended the film to be seen. WB are the ones who whined about it being too long. Given the clear contrast of how the audience reacted much more positively to the extended cut, that's hardly Snyder's fault.

Oh, I'm not arguing that. What I'm saying is that Warner Bros. gave him such free reign they LET him make a movie that only made sense with that runtime, KNOWING they'd have to cut it down to what we got to put it in theaters. If they'd held a tighter grip on the movie, they could have reigned him in, made him film it to be coherent in a theatrical runtime, and at least dodged that bullet. But they let him do whatever he wanted, so we got... what we got in theaters. They gave him a ton of creative freedom, and got burned. Hard. Them reeling from that and assuming direct control to create a car wreck, while tragic, is understandable.

That said, I've been saying it since before Man of Steel even came out, and sadly it's held true through all this: Warner Bros. doesn't learn the right lessons. So we can only wait and see what they learn from this.

#31 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

To be fair, it says pretty explicitly that this was a kneejerk reaction to BvS' poor reception, where they basically let Snyder have free reign, to the point they even let him make an R-rated Superman movie they KNEW they'd have to cut down severely to get into theaters. So basically they went, "M'kay, Snyder! Man of Steel was a bit mixed, but we still trust- CRAP. CRAP. CRAP. WHAT ELSE DO WE HAVE IN THE PIPELINE?! SUICIDE WHAT?! YEAH IT'S GONNA BE SUICIDE, IF WE DON'T GET THIS UNDER CONTROL ASAP, MOVE MOVE MOVE!"

That's not to say this was the right move by any means, but you can hardly blame them for making it.

Well, they did OK a three hour version of the movie....and they liked it so much they felt the movie could handle a few cuts to bring in more money. Snyders not to blame in this context.

WB is completely at fault for the TC of BvS and the negative reaction of SS.

@buttersdaman000 said:
@monsterstomp said:

Ikr. I freaking loved End of Watch, and Fury had some intriguing character dynamics. I had complete faith he could pull this off given a more appropriate time to write.

Yeah, it honestly ever occurred to me that the movie would be bad. I hope this doesn't turn Ayer away from super-hero movies because he just expressed interest in making a Superman movie. I don't know if he's the right fit, but I trust the guy to make good movies.

#32 Posted by Heatforce (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundroid: I don't doubt that Whedon apologised, I expected him too since he's a professional. Still, I've never seen a great director, like Whedon, lose it over a movie that was pretty well received.

#33 Posted by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

So, it sounds like WB is the problem. Both with Ayer and Snyder. Coming in and changing their product.

Hate to compare to Marvel, but at least Disney don't put their fingerprints on everything.

#34 Posted by kgb725 (18415 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: this. Every movie shouldn't have have to be hitting a billion to get a decent return to the studio

#35 Posted by Rag_man (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

GIVE DC BACK TO MARVEL!

#36 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I love how you're trying to extinguish the flames here. Personally, thank you. I like your avatar, is that Eleven from Stranger Things?

#37 Posted by Flickerblink (283 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember when fanboys were bragging about WB being a director driven studio. Hilarious.

#38 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Jgames (8091 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, while BvS UC was not a perfect movie, it at least felt competently made, and actually enjoy it, did not blew me away, but I actually liked it even with Doomsday.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#40 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

Where did I hear this before?

Like I said, WB is the problem, not any of their directors.

#41 Posted by darkonast (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it possible to still have a DCEU and switch production companies? I feel that DC should be thinking about it

#42 Posted by Heatforce (5939 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#43 Edited by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

I know everyone will bring up Marvel's handling of Ant Man but at least they where able to steer it in the right course and make it a fun, enjoyable blockbuster with solid reviews. WB seem to be incapable of managing things or they just have gut reactions.

Also this begs the question: are the extended cuts cannon? Food for thought.

#44 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it possible to still have a DCEU and switch production companies? I feel that DC should be thinking about it

This, 'cause WB obviously doesn't know what they're doing. Everything they do is a knee jerk reaction.

#45 Posted by Black_Arrow (10251 posts) - - Show Bio

I know everyone will bring up Marvel's handling of Ant Man but at least they where able to steer it in the right course and make it a fun, enjoyable blockbuster with solid reviews. WB seem to be incapable of managing things or they just have gut reactions.

They are, Don't you know what the DCEU stands for? DC Extended Universe. It was in the title all along if you want to get the real versions of this movies get the extended edition. This didn't happen with MOS because they hadn't thought the universe.

#46 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@soldierofel said:

They are, Don't you know what the DCEU stands for? DC Extended Universe. It was in the title all along if you want to get the real versions of this movies get the extended edition. This didn't happen with MOS because they hadn't thought the universe.

Lol.

#47 Posted by Incredible_J (175 posts) - - Show Bio