This is the Moment I can Tell I'm getting older (Man of Steel)

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Havenless

And what I mean by that is one little nitpicky scene is turning me off from this movie so much, and it's almost not even important enough a thing to need to discuss. It's not the neck snap, or Superman leveling buildings or any of that. Watch this scene:

Specifically Christopher Meloni at the end there. He narrowly escapes what would have been a dramatic and well-written death for his character after having a mini war of words with Faora earlier in the film. Perhaps they have a better idea in store for him later? Nope.

There are so many catastrophically dumb things happening in this scene, but let's concentrate on Meloni. First and foremost, what is his role on this ship? In every scene, he's standing around in the background. They saved him in the previous scene to essentially die as a pedestrian being protected by other nameless military guys. "but he saved the mission!" Really? That type of plane always has 2 pilots. He's in the hold not 30 seconds before they're about to commence the event, quite possibly the single most important dogfight/excursion moment in the history of the human race. There's no way in hell he is intended to be the second pilot when he's back there that close to impact, even if he's shown taking off in the cockpit. But that's not the single dumbest thing happening here. When he gets to the cockpit,

THE ONLY PILOT LEFT FLYING THE PLANE GETS UP TO DEFEND HIM. ABOUT 10 SECONDS BEFORE IMPACT. There is no defense of this. Name any scene ever, anything you find to be the stupidest, most plothole-driveled scene you can imagine, and it doesn't match up to the lone pilot of an aircraft that is going to save the entire human race leaving his charge not 5 seconds before he is needed more than any man was needed before him... just to double check whether or not the 2 people already in combat with the woman might need a third hand.

Every single time I see this movie from now until eternity, I may have to stop when I get to this scene. Not just for the stupid way to kill a plot-driving character, but that they tried to make it dramatic and emotional by completely destroying the suspense of disbelief of the scene around him.

THE PILOT LEAVES THE AIRCRAFT UNATTENDED AND NOBODY SEEMS TO MIND. AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS?!!

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By buttersdaman000

Sounds like a nitpick tbh

Also, do you think those types of planes just automatically stop moving when the pilot leaves? No....Faora was preventing them from dropping the payload so they had to stop her. Once Stabler realized it was helpless, he nosedived the plane. You don't need to drop the payload if the plane is the payload. Also there were two guys who went out to defend him, so it's much more likely they were the initial two pilots. Actually, i'm pretty sure they were...

Also, it's a shame this still has to be stated, but Superman didn't level any buildings. If the realism is off-putting, fine, but don't be purposely dishonest. The only reason the Avengers don't level cities when they fight is because it simply isn't written that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOU OLD FUCK!!!

just kidding xd

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: there is a scene specifically at the end before Zod can fly where he’s climbing a building. Instead of going somewhere else or just letting Zod come to him, Superman charged at Zod and levels the entire side of the skyscraper. He genuinely was in on the destruction.

But as far as my point, saying Meloni wasn’t a pilot, he wasn’t needed to right the plane or any of that shows that him being there and dying on that plane was utterly pointless. They killed a major plot-driving character for no absolute reason.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

As far as we know he's still in the phantom zone

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly didn't notice, and now that you mention it... it still doesn't bug me. I've suspended my disbelief for way worse.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By buttersdaman000

@havenless said:

@buttersdaman000: there is a scene specifically at the end before Zod can fly where he’s climbing a building. Instead of going somewhere else or just letting Zod come to him, Superman charged at Zod and levels the entire side of the skyscraper. He genuinely was in on the destruction.

But as far as my point, saying Meloni wasn’t a pilot, he wasn’t needed to right the plane or any of that shows that him being there and dying on that plane was utterly pointless. They killed a major plot-driving character for no absolute reason.

So first you say he's leveling buildings, now you switch to leveling the side of skyscrapers. Like I said, purposely dishonest. The amount of damage you argue he did is a vast exaggeration by the way. The damage was surface level, and if you honestly have a problem with that then best not read the comics. Or, even the MCU movies. I mean, that is what you hold against Superman? C'mon now lol

I honestly don't get what your problem is. Stabler was there because he was in command. He had to nosedive the plane because the other two pilots died trying to stop Faora from foiling their plan to drop the payload. It fits well within the logic of the script. It sounds like you're just nit picking, trying to pass it off as a legit complaint.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Havenless

@buttersdaman000: they intended to show Superman being involved in bystanders dying. Everyone knows this, that’s what BVS was about. There are closeups in Man if Steel of people CGId into the buildings to show that every time they smashed into one it caused deaths. I’m not being dishonest, they went out to their way to do that.

The reason MoS gets flak the MCU doesn’t is because the Avengers are just treading water. Superman has the power to prevent these things and he doesn’t.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: they intended to show Superman being involved in bystanders dying. Everyone knows this, that’s what BVS was about. There are closeups in Man if Steel of people CGId into the buildings to show that every time they smashed into one it caused deaths. I’m not being dishonest, they went out to their way to do that.

The reason MoS gets flak the MCU doesn’t is because the Avengers are just treading water. Superman has the power to prevent these things and he doesn’t.

So you go from leveling to buildings, to leveling the side of a building, to trying to argue the directors intent in a way not fully related to said destruction of buildings. Ok lol and you do realize that Batman was literally the personification of that narrative and was proven to be misguided. Superman was no more "involved" in the deaths of citizens than a police officer engaged in a deadly shoot out with criminals would be. Like I said, if the realism puts you off, fine, but don'e be dishonest.

I'd like to see those CGI closeups though. Superman only crashed into a building against Zod a few times -- the time you mentioned, when zod smacked smacked him into a (mostly) abandoned building (the one Bruces friend died in), when zod tossed him through a few, and when Superman scraped Zod along the side of one.

That's not even worth getting into. Like I said, don't read the comics. Don't even watch the cartoons. If you want contrivances where every building is conveniently abandoned/or civilians are ignored, fine, but don't act like environmental destruction is something exclusive to MoS. It's funny how everybody wanted a "realistic" Superman after TDK series and then we get post like this. People really don't know what they want lol

MrTrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the part where you're angry about Superman messing up the sides of some buildings but not with Iron Man being directly responsible for the destruction of Sokovia or Scarlet Witch murdering a bunch of South Africans through the Hulk and the Avengers are perfectly okay with her joining their team, and there's basically no consequences for either.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I love about threads like this, is the show the staying power of DCEU. Man of Steel released years ago and yo this day people are still analyzing and nitpicking the film, same with BvS. Not a single MCU film has had this kind of power lol.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nitpicking much?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Havenless

@buttersdaman000 said:
@havenless said:

So you go from leveling to buildings, to leveling the side of a building, to trying to argue the directors intent in a way not fully related to said destruction of buildings. Ok lol and you do realize that Batman was literally the personification of that narrative and was proven to be misguided. Superman was no more "involved" in the deaths of citizens than a police officer engaged in a deadly shoot out with criminals would be. Like I said, if the realism puts you off, fine, but don'e be dishonest.

I'd like to see those CGI closeups though. Superman only crashed into a building against Zod a few times -- the time you mentioned, when zod smacked smacked him into a (mostly) abandoned building (the one Bruces friend died in), when zod tossed him through a few, and when Superman scraped Zod along the side of one.

That's not even worth getting into. Like I said, don't read the comics. Don't even watch the cartoons. If you want contrivances where every building is conveniently abandoned/or civilians are ignored, fine, but don't act like environmental destruction is something exclusive to MoS. It's funny how everybody wanted a "realistic" Superman after TDK series and then we get post like this. People really don't know what they want lol

Huh? I'm still talking about destroying buildings, I never moved off of that.

No Caption Provided

This is Henry Cavill on a sound stage, with a green screen. When they put that background behind him, they're doing it with every intent to show people didn't go home, they're stuck there, watching, waiting to get buried.

Now where is your proof Wayne tower was mostly abandoned? We know his friend was in there, with many other people shown in BvS, as well as the girl's mother Bruce found on the street.

What are you trying to argue here? A lot of people died in the Metropolis battle, Zack Snyder has come out and said that was always the intent of it.

https://comicbook.com/blog/2013/11/09/man-of-steels-death-total-was-around-5000-people-according-to-director-zack-snyder/

“Probably 5,000 people or something like that,” said Snyder. “I mean I imagine. That’s a horrible thing to say. You don’t want to put numbers on it. But you had to imagine that there were people in these buildings and we did.”

Not mostly abandoned. They intentionally viewed the buildings as occupied. People were supposed to die if the fight stayed in the city, and Superman accepted that.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@havenless said:

Huh? I'm still talking about destroying buildings, I never moved off of that.

No Caption Provided

This is Henry Cavill on a sound stage, with a green screen. When they put that background behind him, they're doing it with every intent to show people didn't go home, they're stuck there, watching, waiting to get buried.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist lol I can't make out anything from that pic.