There's a lot of DCEU hate on the vine lately, but there's also some love

• 156 results
#1 Edited by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio

This post comes as a response to @knightsofdarkness2 blog post: The Death of the DCEU: How Zack Snyder's Ambition's Crushed a Dream

*Please note that I understand everyone has a right to attack or defend whatever they want. While I do not agree with many of his points, I do appreciate the effort knightsofdarkness2 put forth in his blog. Any particular points of contention or praise regarding knightsofdarkness2's blog post deserves to be posted on his thread as I'm sure it took a lot of time and work to compile.*

For fans of the DCEU or viners who might not be fans but curious about some misconceptions regarding the DCEU I want to recommend an excellent fansite called manofsteelanswers.com

I am not involved with the website at all but as a fan of the DCEU I do enjoy the content. Just wanted to share with fellow viners. If anyone else has any DCEU fansite or blogpost recommendations please post.

#2 Posted by the_stegman (40417 posts) - - Show Bio

95% of the hate comes from like, three people.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#3 Edited by buttersdaman000 (23228 posts) - - Show Bio

You're just fueling them lol

@the_stegman said:

The hateocracy

#4 Edited by the_stegman (40417 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio

We got some great comic trailers at the end of 2016 (Wonder Woman, Logan, GotG 2 and Spider-Man Homecoming). There's a lot to look forward to next year so I'm just trying to be positive.

#6 Posted by Iara (970 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the DCEU deserves plenty of criticism but that thread was purely made of people from both sides calling the other butt hurt with almost no constructive discussion.

#7 Edited by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio

@iara: Sure nothing is free of criticism. Many of us enjoyed MoS while BvS and Suicide Squad has some of us DCEU fans split one way or another. It's the same with the MCU and Fox X-Menverse while admitteldy the DCEU hasn't quite found it's critical niche like the other two have. We do seem to share a common problem with Fox (and Sony) in that there seems to be too much studio meddling.

#8 Edited by Light1150 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@iara: Seriously, it's one side taking the bait while it's the other side trolling and posting dated, unfunny memes. I may not like the DCEU but that stuff was downright pathetic.

#9 Posted by TheVivas (19708 posts) - - Show Bio

@iara: Seriously, it's one side taking the bait while it's the other side trolling and posting dated, unfunny memes. I may not like the DCEU but that stuff was downright pathetic.

#10 Posted by APEX_pretador (21481 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce:

No, DCEU is not overhated. If 3 users who are obviously definitely biased bash it, it doesn't make DCEU overhated.

In fact, it is overrated on battle board.

Anyways, what the hell was that Snyder thread you linked in OP? That thread was terrible & pathetic.

#11 Edited by comicace3 (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

You took the bait, hook line and sinker.

#12 Edited by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

Compared to the MCU the DCEU fails critically and financially, that's just a fact. I'll still see the films it puts out though just out of curiosity.

In regards this hate, DCEU fans seem really easy to bait from what I've seen.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
#13 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (8155 posts) - - Show Bio

@leo-343 said:

Compared to the MCU the DCEU fails critically and financially, that's just a fact. I'll still see the films it puts out though just out of curiosity.

This ^. There's really no way you can defend the DCEU objectively. Sure, some users like it, and that's fine, but I don't see how that invalidates what I said in my blog, which I still stand by.

#14 Edited by buttersdaman000 (23228 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightsofdarkness2 said:
@leo-343 said:

This ^. There's really no way you can defend the DCEU objectively. Sure, some users like it, and that's fine, but I don't see how that invalidates what I said in my blog, which I still stand by.

Lol......hardly any of the flame wars center around critics/finances after the first month or so of release, and you know it. They pop up every once in a while, but the majority of the "animosity" comes from people biting bait on both sides. Something as simple as defending a line or characterization is enough to bait people into trashing Snyder/DCEU, and on the same note, simply posting a meme is enough to bait people into getting rustled.

Stop acting like you're taking some high ground here. You're just as easy to bait as the people you called out haha either that or you take this whole thing a bit too seriously......which might be the case lol

#16 Posted by KrleAvenger (26351 posts) - - Show Bio

MCU hate is worse. Why? because it is there for no damn reason.

#17 Edited by buttersdaman000 (23228 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerevarine_11 said:

DCEU fans after reading KOD's blog.

No Caption Provided

Is the DCEU fan applying the cold steam to KOD rustled behind?

#18 Posted by Jgames (8423 posts) - - Show Bio

Is easy bait unfortunately even if it is a deadhorse

#19 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#21 Edited by buttersdaman000 (23228 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerevarine_11 said:

@buttersdaman000:

Nope the DCEU fans are the ones receiving it.

Then are you implying KOD only exists to tend to the DCEU fans asses?

#22 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: No, y'all should be perfectly fine with criticism, KOD shouldn't make anybody butthurt enough from critiquing a few shitty films.

#23 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23228 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: No, y'all should be perfectly fine with criticism, KOD shouldn't make anybody butthurt enough from critiquing a few shitty films.

So he is tending to their asses?

#24 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23228 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#26 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I don't really see the point of the blog that was made. I'm not fond of the DCEU so I try not to talk about it. I know there are people that like and that's okay. We all have different likes and dislikes and it's just different. Chill viners, chill.

#27 Posted by Iara (970 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce: That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. The more I watch MoS the more I enjoy it. I liked the complete version of BvS although Batman really should not have been allowed to kill for once in the films. I wasn't particularly excited for SS anyway but it was poorly done I felt. Either way I find the childish ways people use to attack these films to be much more disappointing than the actual thing, especially when there's plenty of legitimate criticism to be had.

#28 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Well no again you're free to think about men's posteriors as you please, in opposition to an objective observation on your stance of KOD.

Or in layman terms.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

#29 Posted by Manchine (6329 posts) - - Show Bio

DCEU always whine because they can't make Great Movies.

#30 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23228 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Well no again you're free to think about men's posteriors as you please, in opposition to an objective observation on your stance of KOD.

As long as you and KOD are tending to mine, as you posted ;)

As for my position - I don't agree lol

#31 Edited by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio
@leo-343 said:

It depends on how you look at each film and if you disregard WB's unreal expectations

Take Superman Returns vs Man of Steel for example:

Production cost:

Superman Returns = $204 Million

Man of Steel = $225 Million

Box office:

Superman Returns = $391.1 Million

Man of Steel = $668 Million

Interestingly enough if we go into critics and audience scores from some of the top:

Rotten Tomatoes

Superman Returns: Critics = 76% certified fresh, Audience = 61%

Man of Steel: Critics = 55%, Audience = 75%

Meta Critic

Superman Returns: Critics = 72/ 100 based on 40 reviews, Audience = 6.6/ 10 based on 1,177 reviews

Man of Steel: Critics = 55/100 based on 47 reviews , Audience = 7.5/10 based on 3,227 reviews

Cinemascore

Superman Returns: B+

Man of Steel: A-

Notice a pattern here? It seems while critics favored Superman Returns fans did not. The box office also highlights this to an even greater degree even though Man of Steel was only $21 Million more expensive to make than Superman Returns. Why does there seem to be such a disconnect between critics and fans regarding these two films? There are many reasons I'm sure but knowing how film critics nowadays feel regarding anything right-wing, well, I'll let this blogger speak for me, or how about this article or this one. Snyder may just be guilty of some Wrong-Think in the eyes of these critics. That's my opinion anyway.

Edit: @knightsofdarkness2 i figure I'd copy you on this response too

#32 Posted by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

@leo-343 said:

It depends on how you look at each film and if you disregard WB's unreal expectations

Production cost:

Box office:

Interestingly enough if we go into critics and audience scores from some of the top:

Rotten Tomatoes

Meta Critic

Superman Returns: Critics = 72/ 100 based on 40 reviews, Audience = 6.6/ 10 based on 1,177 reviews

Man of Steel: Critics = 55/100 based on 47 reviews , Audience = 7.5/10 based on 3,227 reviews

Cinemascore

Notice a pattern here? It seems while critics favored Superman Returns fans did not. The box office also highlights this to an even greater degree even though Man of Steel was only $21 Million more expensive to make than Superman Returns. Why does there seem to be such a disconnect between critics and fans regarding these two films? There are many reasons I'm sure but knowing how film critics nowadays feel regarding anything right-wing, well, I'll let this blogger speak for me, or how about this article or this one. Snyder may just be guilty of some Wrong-Think in the eyes of these critics. That's my opinion anyway.

That's all fine and dandy but I'm not talking about the DCEU vs Superman Returns.

#33 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce: Your statement would be 1/4 valid if weren't for this lovely gif I've crafted months before.

No Caption Provided

#35 Posted by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerevarine_11: What do you mean? My point is critics hate snyder, not DC.

#36 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, when people make terrible movies of course they're gonna dislike them.

Cause and effect.

Ergo if Snyder made good movies, he wouldn't be criticized.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
#37 Edited by Knightsofdarkness2 (8155 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:
@leo-343 said:

Lol......hardly any of the flame wars center around critics/finances after the first month or so of release, and you know it. They pop up every once in a while, but the majority of the "animosity" comes from people biting bait on both sides. Something as simple as defending a line or characterization is enough to bait people into trashing Snyder/DCEU, and on the same note, simply posting a meme is enough to bait people into getting rustled.

Stop acting like you're taking some high ground here. You're just as easy to bait as the people you called out haha either that or you take this whole thing a bit too seriously......which might be the case lol

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Stop with the bullshit Butters. You legitimately got offended over my avatar, attacked me on my Suicide Squad review, then attacked me out of nowhere again while I was conversing with Nerevarine in that "Which Movie Do You Think Will Flop" thread, which is currently deleted. You even accused me of being some random troll on reddit which had no connection to my account, all because you took my avatar seriously just like that Light guy. You guys are ridiculously childish and there's absolutely nothing I've done to be considered "butthurt", especially compared to you.

Stop being so sensitive, and stop using that bullshit "omg KOD you're just a butthurt fanboy like everyone else so stop acting innocent" excuse. WHEN did I get legitimately butthurt over people liking Snyder? Show me.

#38 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#40 Posted by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio

@leo-343 said:
@heatforce said:
@leo-343 said:

Production cost:

Box office:

Rotten Tomatoes

Meta Critic

Cinemascore

That's all fine and dandy but I'm not talking about the DCEU vs Superman Returns.

Well then why not compare the first 3 films of the DCEU to the first 3 films of the MCU:

DCEU:

MoS: (2013): budget $225 million: WW box office $668,045,518

BvS (2016): budget $250 million: WW box office $872,662,631

Suicide Squad: (2016): budget $175 million: WW box office $745,600,054

MCU:

Ironman: (2008): budget $140 million: WW box office $585,174,222

The Incredible Hulk: (2008): budget $150 million: WW box office $263,427,551

Ironman 2: (2010): budget $200 million: WW box office $623,933,331

True DCEU lacks the critical praise but Man of Steel has roughly the same Audience score as Thor and the Incredible Hulk.

#41 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23228 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:
@leo-343 said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Stop with the bullshit Butters. You legitimately got offended over my avatar, attacked me on my Suicide Squad review, then attacked me out of nowhere again while I was conversing with Nerevarine in that "Which Movie Do You Think Will Flop" thread, which is currently deleted. You even accused me of being some random troll on reddit which had no connection to my account, all because you took my avatar seriously just like that Light guy. You guys are ridiculously childish and there's absolutely nothing I've done to be considered "butthurt", especially compared to you.

Stop being so sensitive, and stop using that bullshit "omg KOD you're just a butthurt fanboy like me so stop acting innocent". WHEN did I get legitimately butthurt over people liking Snyder? Show me.

I unintentionally baited you into finding a years worth of my post, some of which aren't even to you lol I honestly didn't even remember you or calling you out until last week when you brought up that 3 month old post I made. Are you keeping track of my post or something? Anyways, some points,

• What SS squad review?
  • I'm not offended by your avatar, I just think it's pathetic. You seem rustled by me thinking it's pathetic though
  • Is that "Which do you think will flop thread" the one where I first called you pathetic?
  • The random troll on reddit is the only person who i've seen take his hate out as far as you, führer tbh, but still, it was a fair question lol
  • I'm childish?? lmao

Shows KOD his own avatar lol

#42 Posted by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce said:

Yeah, when people make terrible movies of course they're gonna dislike them.

Cause and effect.

Ergo if Snyder made good movies, he wouldn't be criticized.

I think they hate him for his politics.

#43 Posted by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

@leo-343 said:

Well then why not compare the first 3 films of the DCEU to the first 3 films of the MCU:

DCEU:

MCU:

True DCEU lacks the critical praise but Man of Steel has roughly the same Audience score as Thor and the Incredible Hulk.

Exactly it doesn't have the same critical praise, and MoS having the same audience score as two of the weakest MCU films excluding the Dark World isn't anything to be proud about.

Marvel are wrecking DC both critically and financially, I'm not emotionally invested to bait those on either side nor do I care for apologists.

#44 Posted by uugieboogie (13754 posts) - - Show Bio

You took the bait, hook line and sinker.

#45 Posted by the_stegman (40417 posts) - - Show Bio

Aaand, it starts here too...

#46 Posted by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio

@leo-343 said:
@heatforce said:
@leo-343 said:

DCEU:

MCU:

Exactly it doesn't have the same critical praise, and MoS having the same audience score as two of the weakest MCU films excluding the Dark World isn't anything to be proud about.

Marvel are wrecking DC both critically and financially, I'm not emotionally invested to bait those on either side nor do I care for apologists.

The biggest point I made in this post though is that the first 3 films of the DCEU made more money than the first 3 films of the MCU. Sure if we compare the current DCEU to the current MCU you are correct but to be fair I think we have to consider their first phases as well.

#47 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

?? It's a constant cycle of triggering. People that like it triggered by hate threads and haters obsessed with the DCEU triggered by anyone saying something positive.

#49 Posted by Heatforce (6878 posts) - - Show Bio

People who like the DCEU should lose their citizenship and be deported, then jailed.

What if you're a DECU fan in a country without rule of law, firing squad?

#50 Posted by Erik_Soong (1560 posts) - - Show Bio