Theory on why Avengers Hulk was so bad (minor Endgame spoiler)

ElcJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ElcJ

Avengers 1, The Hulk was awesome, but every movie following that, he got progressively worse.

Now I have a theory on why they would downgrade him and push him out so much. World War Hulk/Planet Hulk.

I don't know too much about World War Hulk (haven't read the comics, but know many parts of the story), but I do know a bit. So, the Avengers arc has finally finished, but clearly they are anything but done with Marvel. After Thanos, they are also probably looking at super tough villains that can near his grandeur. And that would be World War Hulk.

I feel they introduced Professor Hulk in Endgame to make the audience aware of Hulks ability to change into different variants and also his potential intellect.

So yea, Hulk as a possible villain in the future? I could see it... And bear in mind, complex and likeable villains in Marvel seem to work very well. Look at Marvels 2 most successful and arguably best [Black Panther and Infinity War]. Both have these types of villains that were received incredibly well.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best hulk was In Ragnarok its not even debatable.

The Russos prioritized the narrative over fan service. That's all it is

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It was just bad and unacceptable on all levels.

After all the talk about Hulk coming up for Endgame all I got was him taking pic an throwing a bench.

I wanted a scene like Captain America for Hulk that would have been good.

ElcJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like Ragnarok Hulk. Was a very silly gorilla. Turned him into a family fun character.

But I wasn't a fan of Ragnarok. The movie looked good but was far too jokey, especially for the theme. I would rather they kept the overly comedic stuff for Guardians movies.

ElcJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, they really dropped the ball with Hulk on Endgame. After how poorly he was treated with Infinity War (my favourite Marvel movie otherwise), we all expected Hulk redemption in Endgame, but got nothing. In fact, his showing in Endgame was even worse than Infinity War.

Must be greater reason for this. Makes no sense.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Bruh, you seem to forget that Hulk in Avengers 1 was literally a boring plot device that smashed things.

Professor Hulk in Endgame actually has characterisation, and he preformed some of the best feats in the damn movie (being the only guy powerful enough to survive the snap, and he saved everyone by holding up the Avengers building until they can get Giant Man to smash through it due to Hulk having literally his hands full.

If anything, having Professor simply implies that the Maestro is more than a thing than WWH (which will never happen, by the way) so that theory seems silly in retrospect.

joshua755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@diarrhearegatta: never say never bro the MCU could always surprise us and with the Disney streaming service anything is possible

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are funny. The hulk saved the whole freaking universe. You can’t get much better than that.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WhyZoSerious

The stronger the character is, the more boring the movie gets. Don't ya all understand that at last, fanboys?

HereForOneShot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The stronger the character is, the more boring the movie gets. Don't ya all understand that at last, fanboys?

You guys are funny. The hulk saved the whole freaking universe. You can’t get much better than that.

Bruh, you seem to forget that Hulk in Avengers 1 was literally a boring plot device that smashed things.

Professor Hulk in Endgame actually has characterisation, and he preformed some of the best feats in the damn movie (being the only guy powerful enough to survive the snap, and he saved everyone by holding up the Avengers building until they can get Giant Man to smash through it due to Hulk having literally his hands full.

If anything, having Professor simply implies that the Maestro is more than a thing than WWH (which will never happen, by the way) so that theory seems silly in retrospect.

It seems that the complaints mostly came from comic book fans who only wanted to see "Hulk smash". That kind of brain-dead mentality from comic book fans was partly why they are so disconnected from the general audience, and also why the Hulk character was not very marketable in terms of movies - The Incredible Hulk remained MCU's worst performing film to date.

@elcj For the OP, I am pretty sure the general audience likes Professor Hulk and for comic book fans who can look past "Hulk smash" and focus on other aspects, they will find the feats performed by Hulk to be just as impressive if not more - As the posters above had mentioned.

Avatar image for speedforceuser_
speedforceuser_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He got his ass beat so bad, they turned him into a school nerd. Lmaooooo????????

Avatar image for deactivated-5ccf849532bbd
deactivated-5ccf849532bbd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diarrhearegatta: No one cares about the snap. It is undermined by him being crippled and weak with no feats.

He didn't hold up the entire facility and that is also undermined by Giant Man destroying the shit and having to save Hulk, stealing his half ass feat

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elcj:

@elcj:Joss Whedon is a Hulk fanboy. That he why Hulk was important in the Avengers and Age of Ultron. Joss Whedon himself is a nerd and relate to characters like Hulk and Flash. Which is also the reason for weird out of nowhere love story between Hulk and Black widow.

Russos pretty much are Captain America fanboys. They don't give a damn about Hulk. Simple as that

Eri_Joni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um,Hulk held the Avengers HQ for about 10 minutes with one arm.

ElcJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whyzoserious said:

@christianrapper said:

@diarrhearegatta said:

It seems that the complaints mostly came from comic book fans who only wanted to see "Hulk smash". That kind of brain-dead mentality from comic book fans was partly why they are so disconnected from the general audience, and also why the Hulk character was not very marketable in terms of movies - The Incredible Hulk remained MCU's worst performing film to date.

@elcj For the OP, I am pretty sure the general audience likes Professor Hulk and for comic book fans who can look past "Hulk smash" and focus on other aspects, they will find the feats performed by Hulk to be just as impressive if not more - As the posters above had mentioned.

Wrong.

Everyone I talked to were not impressed (actually disappointed) by The Hulk in the last 2 movies. In Avengers 1, he was introduced to the "general audience" as an absolute colossus and had a ton of screentime with impressive and entertaining feats - in fact, he was the star of many and the most iconic scenes from the movie.

Hulk being The Hulk is indeed what the overwhelming majority of fans (comic book and otherwise) wanted to see, in these last 2 movies. People that can't understand this are the ones very disconnected with reality.

For you comic book fans, the whole "Hulk saved the universe because was the only one strong enough to use the gauntlet", really doesn't translate well enough. I know for your own self-esteem, you really want to think you're being deep and have a more intellectual outlook, but sorry, you'll have to push that delusion somewhere else. It also didn't LOOK like Hulk was holding up the whole building, but only a section that collapsed on them. So either way, this was not translated well either.

And as for Maestro, even though they've played with the whole time-travel thing now, a Hulk Maestro movie wouldn't really work for a Hollywood movie. Instant flop I can see already. WWH works as it fits into a style and format they've already tested that's proven successful.

ElcJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzee said:

@diarrhearegatta: No one cares about the snap. It is undermined by him being crippled and weak with no feats.

He didn't hold up the entire facility and that is also undermined by Giant Man destroying the shit and having to save Hulk, stealing his half ass feat

Yep, you are exactly correct with everything you say here.

HereForOneShot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzee: @elcj: how is the snap *not* a feat?! Some character did some action, that by definition is a feat.

As for general audience the fact that the Hulk movies gets shit revenue (lmao, even Superman Returns grossed better than the Hulk movies) proves that they don't care about Hulk being comic Hulk.

Avengers 1 Hulk works well not because of his feats but because he was part of a team. Avengers Endgame Hulk is the best the writers and directors can do to make him relevant.

Your personal anecdotes about general audience not impressed was because Hulk was overshadowed by other characters like Captain Marvel and Captain America. But does it change the fact that it was a feat? No.

BrainDrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Endgame is the epitome of Cap wank and I absolutely love it, Professor hulk was very cool in this movie and will now serve a higher role as he's now the smartest avenger

Avatar image for deactivated-5ccf849532bbd
deactivated-5ccf849532bbd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rudebomberboy01
RudeBomberBoy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muh fEeeTz!

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's because Thor fans are complaining about Thor... and people who aren't really fans won't be discussing Hulk online. My group of 6, people weren't a huge fan of how Hulk didn't have action scenes, although their biggest complaint was the girl power scene "HOW WOULD THEY COORDINATE THAT?" Everyone loved the film, so nobody wanted to complain too much.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By medulaoblaganda

Aside from all the complains about Hulk. Man, the Hulk in Endgame looks so real. Infact, the most realistic CGI Hulk out of all the Hulks. MCU did a good job on the CG Hulk.

HereForOneShot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzee said:

@hereforoneshot: All I read was crying.

All I see from your post is edgelord.

@hereforoneshot said:

That's because Thor fans are complaining about Thor... and people who aren't really fans won't be discussing Hulk online. My group of 6, people weren't a huge fan of how Hulk didn't have action scenes, although their biggest complaint was the girl power scene "HOW WOULD THEY COORDINATE THAT?" Everyone loved the film, so nobody wanted to complain too much.

True. Usually only fans of a character are significantly louder when it comes to complaining about their favourite.

And yes, the girl power scene was the most egregious one. I can't really think of any other cringeworthy scene in that movie other than the girl power assemble scene, and MAYBE just a little of Thor but maybe because I didn't really find his scenes funny. Other than that, everything worked more or less okay or even fantastic.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I actually liked Professor Hulk. We finally got to see something other than "Hulk smash!" for a chance. People here need to get over their feat obsession.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd give damn near anything for a World War Hulk movie, but that's never happening lol

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremegeneration: world war hulk is tied to planet hulk. I don’t see how they could make that movie without the destruction of the Hulk’s family and he didn’t have one. Also, the character who causes it is busy playing fortnight with thor. Maybe meek will teabag him on fortnight and that will be the catalyst for the whole thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5789e65ebaa
deactivated-5d5789e65ebaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper said:

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I don't mind Professor Hulk if he actually demonstrated his intelligence, not just the personality of a bookworm. His attempts to send Ant-Man to the past was a bad joke; of course it took Tony to figure things out. Then he sends Cap to the past... we all know how it ends. So his only feat was snapping fingers.

Rebake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kairan1979: Hulk correctly predicted a rule of time travel, further confirmed by Ancient One. He also did pretty well sending Scott back and forth despite it being way out of his field of expertise. Pretty smart, and neither Tony nor Banner figured out time travel without pre-existing Pym technology. Since Hulk is still alive, we may see more of his intelligence. Tony on the other hand...