• 50 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

As many survivors head towards Terminus and hope it's a safe haven, Beth and Daryl are still left wandering the wilderness and fighting to survive. The latest episode, Still, revolves 100% around this duo, turning it into a purely character-driven tale and aims to give both characters a little more depth.

Thankfully, the script and performances give a far more humanizing approach to both characters. They've been through hell and, seeing as they're completely different people, they have totally different coping mechanisms. As a viewer, it's easy to think Beth's "mission" is foolish or stupid, but considering what she's recently endured, it's an understandable one. This path makes her feel more human instead of just giving her something like a good cry and then making her move forward. I especially love how they have her point out that what she wants seems idiotic but it's something she needs.

The very same applies to Daryl. He's distant yet when he has a moment to vent, it leaves one hell of a mark. A tad more is revealed about his life pre-zombie apocalypse as well. Both gave solid performances and absolutely had a few key moments to help build their characters. To top it off, the show avoided going the most obvious and cliche route with their bonding experience.

As always, The Walking Dead had some impressive set pieces and practical effects. The decayed bodies, the locations that have been stripped of hope and, of course, shuffling zombies all looked stellar. Still also presented some enjoyable tension and horror focused moments, but I can't lie, it's always so frustrating to see a zombie more focused on grappling than trying to take a bite out of its prey.

While Still offered some great character-driven moments, the pacing really, really took a toll on the episode. Simply put: many scenes felt drawn-out and getting to the more compelling material took far too much time. The fact it doesn't move the narrative forward at all doesn't help, either. I won't be surprised if many of you view this one as filler.

Daryl and Beth's journey produces a good insight into both characters, but the sheer amount of time between the stronger scenes really weighs down the episode. There's some gripping conversations to be found in this one and they did a thorough job creating a legitimately creepy atmosphere, but I have a good feeling many of you will be somewhat bored in-between those standout instances.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, basically it would have worked better if it didn't just centre on those two and could have worked some more characters into this episode?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Can't believe I'm saying this...but Daryl's story is actually the least interesting. I blame Beth.

Also, I was watching and thought, "huh, Beth is kinda hot" then hated myself, but it turns out the actress is like...28. So, I don't feel like I belong in prison anymore.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG, this episode was boring. I hope the next will be a lot better.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Hate Beth so much... -_-

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't think this episode was filler at all. I liked the episode quite a bit. I forgot about the "What Did Darryl Do Before" game, and was quite intrigued to find out the answer. I felt like the answer he gave really spoke to his character's mindset as well. I thought Beth was pretty good in this episode as well. She's still supposed to be a teenager figuring things out, and she's having to do that during the apocalypse. I think Emily Kinney plays that pretty well.

Totally agree about the great set pieces. They completely nailed what I imagine a golf course would look like during the apocalypse.

I was confused by the hanging zombies and the one with the sign on it, until someone on Reddit cleared it up for me.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've enjoyed these slower character study episodes of late. Except for this one.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

@jedixman said:

Hate Beth so much... -_-

Don't you hate Carl too? What do you have against children man??

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

Hate Beth so much... -_-

Don't you hate Carl too? What do you have against children man??

I kinda like the two little girls Carol was taking care of. They were pretty awesome during the Governor battle (... not so awesome when attempting to murder a baby)

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@the_stegman: Maybe Daryl and Beth being drunk caused you to think that way. Lol

@k4tzm4n: Thank God, I wasn't the only one giving this episode a 3. I felt it drag way too much to get to the point of why these characters needed to be or act a certain way. Beth felt too idiotic and annoying just get a drink and Darryl/Norman did a pretty terrible job on acting drunk. I give the episode props for at least giving some character development. It just was one I didn't necessarily liked.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was a 2/5 at best. So boring and anti climatic. The last 3-4 episodes have been a pretty good improvement and I was really looking forward to this episode and expected a lot more. Beth in my opinion has always been a boring character and her mission in this episode is dumb. I really hope the following episodes don't drag on like this one did. There also really wasn't that much about Daryl's background revealed that we didn't already know and what we did learn doesn't change much about him. For a character everybody loves I'm really surprised they gave him the cliche redneck background we had already figured out seasons ago. The Daryl being drunk scene was a little much as well..I almost had to change the channel cause both Daryl and Beth's acting was pretty terrible and just weird. All you really need to know about this episode is Daryl and Beth are in the woods.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last episode was pretty much it for me. Just completely lost interest in the series. I've had enough of zombie apocalypse drama I guess. It's all the same flavor in different dressing at this point.

Was a fun ride with plenty of WTF moments and definitely raised the bar in thrilling gore filled survival entertainment, but the rides over.

It's like watching reruns at this point. I guess following the comic didn't help, and I realize them killing off key characters like Carol in the T.V series was an attempt to keep us guessing, but discrepancies like these are too few and far between.

My guess? Everyone dies eventually save Rick.

The end.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I enjoyed this episode. I admit it had it's moments where it slowed down a bit but, overall I thought it was a solid episode.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By danhimself

So does anyone else think they're setting something up with the signs on the bodies?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beth really brings down Daryl shes just so plain. The episode had it's moments though, but they either need to split the characters in each episode or bring them back together already because it feels like they're drawing it out especially when certain characters just can't hold the show by themselves.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ARMIV2

I really enjoyed their break down moment. I wish we had gotten some more of that.

And I want that song that played in the beginning.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hate Beth. I don't get how she's still alive. The users over at The Walking Dead Wiki are utterly in love with her! And make her out to be the best character on the show!

But yea I didn't like this episode too much. I feel like the groups should have met up by the end of the episode. I really hope they don't drag this out, I want to see The Hunters before the end of the season and time is ticking.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm..How disappointing.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By batsymyplaything

It's always hard to swallow its death, when you name the sheep first.

It seems they're letting us understand these characters more and then sent them in the the slaughter house. You know, to up the shock value.

Episode was alright. I agree with others that it was a tad boring, but as I said before I think it's a setup for the future endeavors...

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Ok/good episode. 7/10

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the words of jb smoove " Tyrese is running around with three little white girls" my only issue is it just focused on these two

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly feel like this was a really great episode. I'd give it 4/5. The big thing for me has always been I just don't care about some of the characters. I really didn't care about Beth. But the fact that they gave us some more backstory for her and made me realize again how much stuff has actually happened to her character makes me like her a lot more. I'm really liking stand alone episodes like these and not having to always focus on a bigger plot. At least I know the next time someone kicks the bucket I'll likely feel something rather than just be like "Called it."

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25  Edited By Fallschirmjager

did anyone else think they were (maybe still are) going to f*ck? seriously, just do it all ready.

@the_stegman said:

Can't believe I'm saying this...but Daryl's story is actually the least interesting. I blame Beth.

Also, I was watching and thought, "huh, Beth is kinda hot" then hated myself, but it turns out the actress is like...28. So, I don't feel like I belong in prison anymore.

...wow. really? she looks like she's 15.

i felt the same way. though she's pretty skinny. not sure if its by intent though, given the circumstances.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

did anyone else think they were (maybe still are) going to f*ck? seriously, just do it all ready.

@the_stegman said:

i felt the same way. though she's pretty skinny. not sure if its by intent though, given the circumstances.

Yeah man, one of my friends told me, had to Google search it to be sure. I'm used to older people playing teens, but damn, a 28 year old very easily passing for 15...crazay.

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This episode sucked balls.

So Beth the annoyance had her first drink.

Waste of an hour...

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lesterlawton

Stopped watching after last season. The whole zombie thing is just getting stale.

Lee_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horrible episode.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By ccraft

4/5 I liked this episode, don't know why people hate Beth...

Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Frobin

SUCH A needless FILLER

"While Still offered some great character-driven moments, the pacing really, really took a toll on the episode. Simply put: many scenes felt drawn-out and getting to the more compelling material took far too much time. The fact it doesn't move the narrative forward at all doesn't help, either. I won't be surprised if many of you view this one as filler."

SO TRUE!

It doesn't move the story forward and - and that's really bad for the show, especially given the fact that the show's pacing is a mess for too long now (stretching and fillers everywhere, focusing on characterisation with the wrong characters, most of all The Governor, ... now these two).

The episode was so boring and so out of the actual plot line, I really wanted to TURN OFF the episode the whole time. It's really an episode you just can leave out without missing anything important.

The Walking Dead is a TEAM BOOK (since it's a comic book series) ... the TV show is too ... which means characterisation is just interesting in direct relation to the interaction in the whole team. It's the problem of many team books to think (after a while) focusing on team members individually will benefit the whole book (especially highlighting sidekick characters) ... but it's wrong, at least it's wrong when its overdone! But there are always fans of the highlighted characters ... so these fillers are common. Unfortunately!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually loved this episode. Maybe since Daryl is my favorite characters. Really awesome to see him show some emotion finally and really feel something. And its the first time beth has really shined so I think this episode was awesome, I love these two characters now, and I think they will be even more fun to watch together next time we see them.

Everyone's saying beth is so plain but this is the first time she actually wasn't plain. If anyone remember the episode with Morgan in season three, you remember that that episode didn't move along the narrative at all. But it was one of the best episodes of that season. I'm not saying that this is one of the best episodes but not moving along the narrative doesn't make it bad.

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm probably in the minority when I say I enjoyed this episode.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It feels like they were trying for a "Last of Us" style older grizzled dude looking after a younger girl character study

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second the episode ended, I turned to the people I was watching it with and said, "The internet's going to hate this one." I didn't mind it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@fallschirmjager said:

@the_stegman said:

Yeah man, one of my friends told me, had to Google search it to be sure. I'm used to older people playing teens, but damn, a 28 year old very easily passing for 15...crazay.

Also Darly is 45

Avatar image for ssjdarthplagueis
SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know is never drink with Daryl or Beth.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They made 2 boring characters a little more interesting.

Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Frobin

Next episodes preview seems to focus on Maggie's splinter group. Oh my god, I really can't stand this pacing any longer ... 4 epsiodes after the fall of the prison, the same stories would have been easily told within 2 episodes ... and just 4 episodes left to season final.

More and more I guess, I will skip this show and move on to well written shows with a consistent plot line like VIKINGS (History Channel), Justified (FX), House of Cards (Netflix) or even HBO's Game of Thrones, which is also pretty SLOW, but at least it has a consistent plot line.

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoyed these self contained more character focused episodes and this one was no exception. I really don't see what everyone is complaining about.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

hahahaha. I thought the same thing too, cause she doesn't really look much older than 20, at most. and then I was looking up how old characters were, and then the actress who played Beth was a lot older then I expected. except I didn't find her hot, just annoying.

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thought the previous episodes were better , still there is some character moments I liked in this episode

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't envy the creative team of TWD. Here they are trying to make a grownup drama in a fantastical environment, and give characters some depth and humanity, and 90% of the audience are mouth breathing "not enough zombie smashing FAIL" morons.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46  Edited By AllStarSuperman
Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Beth is one of the characters that I wanted to know more about, I think she could be a really cool character, and I am intrigued by her perspective. She is one of the few non-sociopathic, over the top bad ass characters...she's young, and innocent, and trying to figure things out and manages to survive. Kinda bums me out that everyone hates her because she isn't...ya know, a bad ass.

I really enjoyed the chemistry between Beth and Daryl...I just really hope they don't kill her off, the whole "you're gonna miss me when im gone Daryl Dixon" line has me so worried...

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I quite liked this episode. First half was pretty slow but once they found the little house and moonshine it was good. Seeing Daryl finally show his character was what made the episode.

Avatar image for technicolorville
Technicolorville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Technicolorville

I'm just glad this episode didn't involve Glenn. Glenn has been pretty useless since, Season 3. He used to be one of my favorites, but not anymore.