The Vision #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Vision has always wanted to settle down and have a family, just ask Scarlett Witch. Now, Vision has made a wife and two children, moved to the suburbs and tries to achieve the American dream.

This book is weird, in a good way. This really has more of a Vertigo or Image feeling to it more than anything else. It may be just me, but this really feels like the calm before the storm and that storm feels more like something in the horror genre. Where this series is going is hard to gauge from the first issue, but it really feels like we'll be seeing a horror book based on a line of dialogue early on where Vision says one of his family burns a neighbor's house down, killing them.

This isn't a story with a good guy and a bad guy, duking it out, although Grim Reaper does make an appearance. This issue is really about developing Vision as more than just a character on the Avengers. He's gone through so many changes over the years and this book is all about reestablishing who he is in the current Marvel universe. Tom King does a phenomenal job with the dialogue and aside from making Vision feel emotionless, which is where he's at now, Vision almost comes off a bit like a sociopath, minus the anti-social behavior.

Artist Gabriel Hernandez Walta and colorist Jordie Bellaire do a wonderful job with the art on this issue. Because the story is so different and strange, the more non-traditional mainstream art is the perfect fit for the story and tone. Bellaire is doing something a bit different with the color work here.Everything feels a tad more blended with a duller color palate, which again, is a great fit.

THE VISION is very different and that may be off-putting for many readers since it doesn't feel like a traditional super-hero or Marvel book, but that's what makes this such a great read. There is the question of "where is this all going" which doesn't get too much of an answer here, as the issue is more about establishing the world than anything else. It's different, but it's something you are probably going to want to check out.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm conflicted on this. It looks weird, can't tell if that's good or bad.

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The weirdness definitely becomes a really great part of the book and I whole heartedly disagree that this is anything less than 5/5. The meta textual conversation is thoughtful and introspective without sacrificing character development. I may be biased though as I would follow Tom King into anything.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3 inferiorego  Staff

The weirdness definitely becomes a really great part of the book and I whole heartedly disagree that this is anything less than 5/5. The meta textual conversation is thoughtful and introspective without sacrificing character development. I may be biased though as I would follow Tom King into anything.

This was as close as anything could get to a 5/5 for me, but I just don't feel completely on board with it, even though it's pretty brilliant.

ComicKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Doesn't Vision technically already have kids

ia0delond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really was not expecting that. I have been surprised in a great way.

I am definitly more charmed be this book than the other super heroes I had the chance to read this week.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just called my shop to add a copy to this weeks stack, sounds good.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@the_stegman: Sometimes the weirdest looking books are the ones that capture your attention the most, because they are different and stand out.

withoutfear512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5/5

This looked interesting to me since day one but even I was surprised at how much I loved it. Very sharp with character development and surprisingly intimate. This just may be the sleeper hit

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

@br_havoc: Or, sometimes the writer wants to be unique, and ends up weird and pushes the reader away.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: True but then again I would rather a writer attempt something new and unique then just write paint by numbers superhero stuff that is mediocre enough for readers to keep buying or has to use sensationalism as a crutch to get people to stick around and both of trends are plaguing the big two right now.

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Could I ask what's holding you back? Is it something on the art side or the story side?

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving it so far!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird is definitely the easy way to sum this up, but I also found this oddly fascinating despite not quite being what I expected. I have no idea how this book will go, but it caught my attention and I'll definitely pick up the next issue. It has a very dark comedic and horror vibe about it. You can't help but think some very bad things are going to happen.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone explain what's going on with Vision? I just mean if he erased his emotions, why does he want to experience family life? Aren't feelings all part of that?

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was kinda scary and not even remotely expected from Marvel. Awesome. I have to see where this goes, it's too unique.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone explain what's going on with Vision? I just mean if he erased his emotions, why does he want to experience family life? Aren't feelings all part of that?

That is very much the gist of what this book, or issue anyway, seems to be about. The why would something with no emotions have a desire to have a family or to feel normal. There is a pretty brilliant metaphor about a special floating vase along this line. I recommend checking this issue out. It won't be for everyone. It is definitely not the typical superhero book.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll read it

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Where are his boys?

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this not a solid 5?

t209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't know but I have a bad feeling about this.

- Like make the family edgier with cheating, bullying and drug abuse for no reason.

- Killing them off for shock value.

- "No More Vision Family".

Trust me Marvel and DC always make bad reverse on new changes, like Tommy and Billy in John Byrne West Coast Avengers and Lian in Cry For Justice.

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this not a solid 5?

Agreed. This was definitely the most interestingly unique thing I picked up this week, and that's over an origin story for Santa Claus by Grant Morrison. The fact that something this bold and different came from Marvel makes is doubly awesome. Some of the other All New, All Different books have been fun, but this is the first that truly lives up to that mission statement, IMHO.

Uldogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CurrentThor2015

My favourite issue this week.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last writer that wrote Vision well was Kurt Busiek. Nobody has been able to write him or do with him anything imaginative or original.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if this book is for me yet. I'll give it another issue or two to decide though.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

V-I-S-I-O-N, it's the Vision family!

Vision!

kitelais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...it really feels like we'll be seeing a horror book based on a line of dialogue early on where Vision says one of his family burns a neighbor's house down, killing them.

by Mat 'Inferiorego' Elfring

You shouldn't review comics, not now at least.. I don't want to sound that aggresive, but this article really bothered me.

You didn't understand it, not in surface or depth.

Narration is not done in first person, it's an omniscient narrator. The Vision never spoke in any narration box. And I don't think that is a little slip that can be ignored if you are supposed to criticize writing and storytelling.

Furthermore, adding insult to injury, you really don't say anything concrete about the issue. The most basic things to most readers or reviewers, like the eerie atmosphere created blending fully descriptive inner narration with plain color palletes, the "alien" feeling of The Visions achieved by color contrast between the autumnly colors of the background and the bright colors of the family, the great use of an omniprescent narrator to add uncomfort in the atmosphere. You miss all those things and more, and only say its "weird, strange, different, it's not about two guys duking it" (note that I'm not saying you thought these were flaws)

I'm not saying you, as a person, are unable to write, or criticize something. But you should at least stay away from criticizing comic books if you aren't well versed in them. It's extremely noticeable that you have only read superhero comic books, and that's like hearing a football commentarist in a tennis commentary show.

Read, improve. Empower yourself, earn the right to analyze and criticize other person's work.

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t209 said:

I don't know but I have a bad feeling about this.

- Like make the family edgier with cheating, bullying and drug abuse for no reason.

- Killing them off for shock value.

- "No More Vision Family".

Trust me Marvel and DC always make bad reverse on new changes, like Tommy and Billy in John Byrne West Coast Avengers and Lian in Cry For Justice.

Sounds like the synopsis for the Star Trek Voyager episode where the Doctor made a holographic family, lol.

Though I wouldn't complain if this story went the same route, complete with a tragic Parisses Squares incident.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting it. It looks good. The only reason I didn't pick it up yesterday was because the new issue of Lumberjanes came out, and I prioritize my spending.

Avatar image for superkryptonian
superkryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kitelais: Maybe you can criticize him when you're one of the most popular writers on one of the internet's most popular comic book website? Until then let's try to tone down the all knowing English major complex pal.

SolthesunGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this easily a 5 out of 5 for me.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 owie  Moderator

@kitelais: Good lord, chill. Deal with the fact that there are different ways to review things. And that Mat is pretty obviously well-versed in comics. Not to mentioned that he is, I believe, pretty well-known for his preference for non-superhero comics.

Personally, the review (and everyone's comments) made me more interested in this than I would have been otherwise, I may need to take a look at it when I go back to the store next week.

I'm curious about whether this family of Vision's has anything to do with the new lady-friend and children he had at the end of the last volume of Uncanny Avengers. I assume not.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cave_Duck

@kitelais: Your blatant attempt for attention is working!!! Can't wait to read your reviews on your site...

/yawn

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By blackkitty

I'm certain this is probably a wonderful book and probably a great read. However, Vision has always been a snoozefest for me. Never really liked the character. So as good as it probably is, I'll pass.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cave_duck said:

That is very much the gist of what this book, or issue anyway, seems to be about. The why would something with no emotions have a desire to have a family or to feel normal. There is a pretty brilliant metaphor about a special floating vase along this line. I recommend checking this issue out. It won't be for everyone. It is definitely not the typical superhero book.

Or it is just a justification to rip Vision apart from Wanda. ''Oh his feelings were effecting him badly , gotta delete it now ! '' ...only to create a freaking family for himself...

I am all for deeper meanings but when it comes from such BS justifications, I can't take it seriously other than '' Yea we want to bury Vision/Wanda stuff into the past ''.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting book for sure. Definitely up your alley if you want something more than punching, kicking, and powers. When I think about this book ALL I can think about is that foreshadowing bomb.

Grayzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was unsure at first, but I'm giving it a shot even though I am not a huge vision fan. The art is just beautiful, I love Walta's character design.

garyneville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dialogue reminded of Hot Fuzz.

Not a Vision fan but I'll stick on it.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

*Some slight, slight spoilers to follow*

Almost every panel made me laugh, even the most inane ones. The interplay of the art and the narration and the dialogue was amazing to see IMO. It was absolutely refreshing to read something that diverged from the status quo. The way the author made every panel important despite being still so... mundane was almost Seinfeldian. Some examples:

• The floating mailbox in the middle of a normal neighborhood.
  • "George enjoyed hot wings, but he always ordered them too spicy for his own tastes". This really solidified the characters as believable people, trying too hard to be macho just like you and me.
  • How NORMAL George's reaction is to living next door a walking, talking, android synthezoid superhero family. This is compared to how people normally act in comics,it's unnatural for people to act like everything's normal and that no one says anything when they live next door to the Sentry.
  • "Time passed, as it does". Just perfect by the narrator.
  • A fan giving Vision bunny-ears during a dual-selfie.
  • The way he argues with Virginia reminded me so much of the difference in reasoning behind a human couple's arguments, but with a perfect android twist. I couldn't read a single sentence without laughing. It's an instant classic argument, IMO.

There were also some really pertinent and poignant points that drove home how seriously the author was taking this story. It had a lot of depth in a short amount of time that really helped establish the overall tone of the story and should lead to an interesting climax for this series down the road if the author plays their cards right. Overall, they hit a home run with the moral of the story; seeking to create meaning in a life that just isn't logical or meaningful can only lead down a terrible road.

• The parallels between normal American's and the path Vision has taken to get to this point, clearly drawn, but also subtle, Americans giving up their dreams of saving the world on the cheap, and instead making sacrifices and moving to the suburbs to for their family.
  • "To assert as truth that which has no meaning is the core mission of humanity". ~ Vision
  • He talks about the idea that a person (I took it to mean government) which has a set purpose that is logical can only lead to tyranny due to the illogical nature of people. The purpose of a just ruler is to support the desires of its people, whom enjoy freedom through their meaningless "pursuit(s) of an unobtainable purpose by absurd means".
  • I loved the humanization of the children both at home and in school. The reasoning behind their immaturity and need to grow was solid, and I never before considered that they would need to learn to actually use the facts they had memorized in their books and combine the words to form actual rhetoric. That's probably the hardest part about understanding and creating an AI, the easy part is picking up a book and memorizing the figures, the hard part would be using those to create new knowledge and arguments.
  • The metaphor about the Water Vase of Zenn-La and the life of the Visions was amazing. The Vases are poisonous to all flowers. What's a vase made for, what is it's purpose, if not to hold flowers? This is a stark metaphor for Vision's family. They can't have a normal life because Vision is a superhero, he is not normal, his lifestyle is poisonous to a normal family life. "The mystery... is why anyone would ever make such a vase". This is the driving point behind Virginia questioning her purpose earlier.

Overall, one of the best single issues I have read in a long time.

5/5.