The Unworthly All-Father Odin (minor spoilers)

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Perhaps the most interesting thing I thought to come out of the new Thor No. 1 was that Odin was also unable to lift Mjolnir as well. The speculation was that Odin's enchantment had outgrown the enchanter.

I wonder perhaps is Mjolnir sentient? Perhaps the hammer decides who is worthy to lift it not a spell of Odin's. When Fury whispered in Thor's ear the only thing close enough to hear was the hammer, and when Mjolnir heard what Fury said maybe it decided that Thor and later Odin where not worthy of it.

What do you guys think?

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm the only Marvel/Thor fan who thought this was an interesting twist with Odin?

Guess next time I'll just post another Superman v. _____ battle thread, cause those never get dull.

P.S. Superman beats ____ with speed blitz.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite part was Odin yelling, I speak and galaxies listen!

LMAO sorry odin

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser: or when VolStagg and Fandral and the other chimed in how they couldn't lift it either.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By titing2101

@earthsmightiest said:

I guess I'm the only Marvel/Thor fan who thought this was an interesting twist with Odin?

Guess next time I'll just post another Superman v. _____ battle thread, cause those never get dull.

not at all.. im also interested how/why thor and odin suddenly can't pick up mjolnir. AFAIK it is not clearly stated how mjolnir deems someone worthy of him. :) maybe we will get to know more how the enchantment really works heck even odin was not able to pick it up. The one thing im concerned about the issue is how the hell thor's durabilty is that low. From the Godbomb arc Gorr was stabbing thor like hell, and Gorr is so powerful enough with the annihiblade. why did he just didnt sliced up thor when malekith can do it easily.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

@earthsmightiest: you might be onto something, maybe it has some sort of sentience. That's the only reason I could see for it resisting Odin other than him being unworthy as well.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest said:

not at all.. im also interested how/why thor and odin suddenly can't pick up mjolnir. AFAIK it is not clearly stated how mjolnir deems someone worthy of him. :) maybe we will get to know more how the enchantment really works heck even odin was not able to pick it up. The one thing im concerned about the issue is how the hell thor's durabilty is that low. From the Godbomb arc Gorr was stabbing thor like hell, and Gorr is so powerful enough with the annihiblade. why did he just didnt sliced up thor when malekith can do it easily.

I thought the same thing as well. If it was so easy to disarm him (see what I did there!), I wonder why he wasn't torn to pieces when he was younger before he was given the hammer.

One could argue that Thor is going thru extreme depression so his fight skills were dulled hence his easy defeat by Malkieth.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin can't lift the hammer because...of Hercules.

Please follow me:

1) A long time ago, during a fight between Thor and Hercules, Thor lost after Odin denied him the ability to use mjolnir...in the middle if the fight.

2) A long time ago (again...), we saw Odin's eye becoming sentient once Odin got rid of it

3) Mjolnir is therefore able to become sentient.

4) It remember very well how Odin betrayed them in the fight again Hercules

5) Now it's payback time

6) In all logical, Mjolnir now sentient and more powerful than Odin (of course), doesn't allow Odin to use it.

As I told you, all that because of Hercules.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EarthsMightiest

@bullpr said:

Odin can't lift the hammer because...of Hercules.

Please follow me:

1) A long time ago, during a fight between Thor and Hercules, Thor lost after Odin denied him the ability to use mjolnir...in the middle if the fight.

2) A long time ago (again...), we saw Odin's eye becoming sentient once Odin got rid of it

3) Mjolnir is therefore able to become sentient.

4) It remember very well how Odin betrayed them in the fight again Hercules

5) Now it's payback time

6) In all logical, Mjolnir now sentient and more powerful than Odin (of course), doesn't allow Odin to use it.

As I told you, all that because of Hercules.

Hercules!! I should have known that no good beatnik was behind this!

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea it was funny still dang why does odin have to be such a dick to freyja.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole way that was written out was stupid.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By slimj87d

@bullpr: what? No... Odin manipulated Mjolnir not too long ago.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7317/8746136575_6a6acb6285_o.jpg

Then only enchanting spell that overcame Odin was a hex called diversity.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaptainHoopla

I think Freyja whispered some sweet nothings in Odin's ear at some point.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think w

I think Freyja whispered some sweet nothings in Odin's ear at some point.

It maybe to easy an answer but I'm thinking Freyja should be put on the list as the possible FEMThor. Use a little OdinPower and bam your a young blonde woman!

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SlimJ87D: it was pure sarcasm on my part. Odin unable to lift Mjolnir is one of the biggest BS I have ever seen in Marvel and I read my first one more than 30 years ago.

Avatar image for bossdarksied355
Bossdarksied355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bossdarksied355

Doesn't the hammer hold a piece of the Odin force? So how can Odin not lift it?

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By movieartman

@earthsmightiest: @titing2101:

The Axe is jarnjaborn witch was enchanted to cut celestials it's going to have ZERO problem cutting thru asgardians even thor.

it's like wolverines mursamara blade but worse.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bossdarksied355: not thor replaced that portion of Odin with a portion of himself in order to repair it after it broke killing bor

Avatar image for bossdarksied355
Bossdarksied355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@movieartman:

Yes it was enchanted but i think the enchantment made was for jarnbjorn to cut through a celestial armor not making it stronger. Remember when thor came back after the enchantment of jarnbjorn to battle with apocalypse in uncanny avengers 5/6(forgot the issue ) apocalypse threw that axe right into the chest of thor? If it has no problem cutting his flesh. Thor should be dead by then.. and apocalypse sure is stronger than malekith. hope when he regains mjolnir, he grows his arms as well.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By titing2101

@earthsmightiest:

But him being depressed should not lower his durability.. Thats why many are saying this is BS. Im keeping an open mind but im slightly on the "what the hell jason aaron!" Side lol

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of worthiness, Odin's kind of a hypocritical d*ck.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

In terms of worthiness, Odin's kind of a hypocritical d*ck.

Pretty much this.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Perhaps the most interesting thing I thought to come out of the new Thor No. 1 was that Odin was also unable to lift Mjolnir as well. The speculation was that Odin's enchantment had outgrown the enchanter.

I wonder perhaps is Mjolnir sentient? Perhaps the hammer decides who is worthy to lift it not a spell of Odin's. When Fury whispered in Thor's ear the only thing close enough to hear was the hammer, and when Mjolnir heard what Fury said maybe it decided that Thor and later Odin where not worthy of it.

What do you guys think?

Hmm, from Thor 2. I think we are moving towards a sentient Mjolnir.

No Caption Provided

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By aquaman01

@earthsmightiest said:

What do you guys think?

Hmm, from Thor 2. I think we are moving towards a sentient Mjolnir.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

darkstorm35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate all the inconsistency when it comes to thor and odin. Odin enchanted the hammer now he cant lift it, ok lets say the hammer is sentient. With all the odin power he can still fix that flaw. When he speaks the galaxies listen. So now odin with all this power on a celestial level cant move something he him self created.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this direction. It shows that creating something doesn't mean you can control it, and it is possible to create something that proves to be beyond your power, and greater than your original purpose. It reminds me of "The Silmarillion", "The Elric Saga", and even stories involving AI. This type of development is very in line with mythology. Epic development - a weapon who chooses it's wielder based upon it's consciousness is 1000% more interesting than a mere weapon.

There is a ton of story telling potential here. Whoever wields it wouldn't need a supporting cast per se, and I find the idea of debating rules of engagement with your weapon before getting approval to use it to be very intriguing.

Regret that I missed the initial post - just started catching up on Thor.

roronuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea that the hammer is sentient and, while interesting and kind of funny, I hate the idea that Odin couldn't lift it. The all father being unworthy makes no sense and the fact that it is somehow more powerful than him is dumb. Odin's power fluctuates too much already, but to be lower than the hammer just seems ridiculous. I just hope they explain this somehow, like Cul is manipulating him or something and not at full power.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, unworthy odin moment was hilarious, though.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea that Odin couldn't lift it, TBH. The power he wields is actually greater than him - any rightful, future ruler of Asgard would receive it. It makes sense to me that a spell made out of the same power could transcend Odin if he failed to fulfill the requirements.

Kidolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin not being able to lift the hammer made no sense because even if the hammer gained sentience it’s still weaker than Odin who can manipulate magic on such a high level that when Thor used the hammer to the best of it’s abilities he was still weaker than Odin.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@kidolio said:

Odin not being able to lift the hammer made no sense because even if the hammer gained sentience it’s still weaker than Odin who can manipulate magic on such a high level that when Thor used the hammer to the best of it’s abilities he was still weaker than Odin.

Actually it makes complete sense that Odin can't out-Odin his own magic. Odin was the one who cast the enchantment on the hammer, he didn't exempt himself from the effects and he made the requirements for being able to use it so high only the fewest could do it and made it so strong only he could remove it again. I suppose if he was to somehow remove the enchantment from the hammer would be a possibility for him... but in doing so he'd also break the whole point of why you'd want the hammer since it would also return all of Thor's powers to him. (All that is ofc assuming the original version of all of this still stands and that Mjolnir hasn't always been a huge pain to get off the ground which might be the current setting.)

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidolio said:

Actually it makes complete sense that Odin can't out-Odin his own magic. Odin was the one who cast the enchantment on the hammer, he didn't exempt himself from the effects and he made the requirements for being able to use it so high only the fewest could do it and made it so strong only he could remove it again. I suppose if he was to somehow remove the enchantment from the hammer would be a possibility for him... but in doing so he'd also break the whole point of why you'd want the hammer since it would also return all of Thor's powers to him. (All that is ofc assuming the original version of all of this still stands and that Mjolnir hasn't always been a huge pain to get off the ground which might be the current setting.)

He could remove the worthiness enchantment but still allow the hammer to give someone Thor's powers.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@jay_z94 said:
@outside_85 said:
@kidolio said:

He could remove the worthiness enchantment but still allow the hammer to give someone Thor's powers.

Despite how it looks, I doubt it's as easy as just crossing out part of the enchantment and retain another part when the enchantment is as strong as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
deactivated-5ca9389143922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic, guise

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points