The truely greatest swordsmen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lantern_of_hatred
Lantern Of Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lantern Of Hatred

This is just a little thread to enlighten those to the art of the sword...

Who is the most skilled?

my money is on Tulak Hord.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Conan

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Methos

Tulak Hord was good with a sword, but used his force abilities to strengthen his fighting, without the force he was a mediocre swordsman at best...

If you're looking for truly awesome swordmanship you've got to look at immortals, people born to use the sword who have been training in it's use for thousands of years...

Duncan MacLeod

Connor Macleod

Methos

Amanda Darrieux

Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez

M

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#4  Edited By Mighty Thorion

The Original Shining Knight, whose sword was magically enhanced by the powers of Merlin!

BlackHulkZilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BlackHulkZilla

ZORO! lol!

Cobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cobalt

How could you put Methos up there. When your first introduced to his character, he had joined the watchers cause he tired of a life of violence, and then you find out he hadn't taken a head in a thousand years(rewatch his first two episodes). The first head he takes is that immortal fashion model Richie was sleeping with. And he wasn't a good swordsman, that cheap knife behind the back trick sucked. Did you see how easy Duncan parried that move. It was as if he was a child.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7  Edited By The_Martian

Swordsman or Taskmaster

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Methos

Cobalt says:

"How could you put Methos up there. When your first introduced to his character, he had joined the watchers cause he tired of a life of violence, and then you find out he hadn't taken a head in a thousand years(rewatch his first two episodes). The first head he takes is that immortal fashion model Richie was sleeping with. And he wasn't a good swordsman, that cheap knife behind the back trick sucked. Did you see how easy Duncan parried that move. It was as if he was a child."

please...

just because he doesn't like to fight, doesn't mean he can't...

he's over 5000 years old and trained Ramirez, just because he hasn't had the highlight of Duncan and Connor doesn't mean he's low on the fighting scale

M

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Benedict of Amber.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Methos

Gambler says:

"Mace Windu"

do Lightsabers = swords?

i'm curious now because using a lightsaber must be a hell of a lot different than using a sword...

using a sword you have to be carefull of weight, momentum and such things... all of those wouldn't matter with a lightsaber, hell, if you used a sword the same way you used a lightsaber you'd end up with a chunk of dended blunt metal lol

Mace Windo i definitely put in the top 5 lightsaber users... but i'm very iffy about any Lightsaber user being classified as a swordsman.

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Mace Windu

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zee crusher

Surtur the fire demon he had a 500ft 50,000ton sword who else could stop that??

Cobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cobalt

Methos says:

"Cobalt says:
"How could you put Methos up there. When your first introduced to his character, he had joined the watchers cause he tired of a life of violence, and then you find out he hadn't taken a head in a thousand years(rewatch his first two episodes). The first head he takes is that immortal fashion model Richie was sleeping with. And he wasn't a good swordsman, that cheap knife behind the back trick sucked. Did you see how easy Duncan parried that move. It was as if he was a child."
please... just because he doesn't like to fight, doesn't mean he can't... he's over 5000 years old and trained Ramirez, just because he hasn't had the highlight of Duncan and Connor doesn't mean he's low on the fighting scale M"

Cronos would have killed him. That's why he acted like he was still evil, cause if he didn't, he would have been killed without so much as an afterthought. That oprea singer dude was a better fighter than him. The Kurgen was a better fighter than him. I think the only reason you put him up is because that's your name as well.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Methos says:

"Gambler says:
"Mace Windu"

do Lightsabers = swords?

i'm curious now because using a lightsaber must be a hell of a lot different than using a sword...

using a sword you have to be carefull of weight, momentum and such things... all of those wouldn't matter with a lightsaber, hell, if you used a sword the same way you used a lightsaber you'd end up with a chunk of dended blunt metal lol

Mace Windo i definitely put in the top 5 lightsaber users... but i'm very iffy about any Lightsaber user being classified as a swordsman.

M"

Yeah I'm not sure either. But a Saber is a type of sword is it not? I mean Lightsaber means Lightsword (I always though anyways)

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Methos

Cobalt says:

"Cronos would have killed him. That's why he acted like he was still evil, cause if he didn't, he would have been killed without so much as an afterthought. That oprea singer dude was a better fighter than him. The Kurgen was a better fighter than him. I think the only reason you put him up is because that's your name as well."

He faught and defeated Kronos before if you read the books, he only let him live during the horseman years because he thought of Kronos as a brother...

he went along with Kronos plan to find out the specifics of it and lay clues out for Duncan.

You mean Kalas... um, no... in Finale even Richie Ryan could hold his own against Kalas, unless you're telling me Richie is a better swordsman that Methos now?

No, i put him there because i truly believe he's an amazing swordsman, as most people who have actually read all the books do.

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Methos

Gambler says:

"Yeah I'm not sure either. But a Saber is a type of sword is it not? I mean Lightsaber means Lightsword (I always though anyways)"

yeah, a saber yes, but i wouldn't classify a lightsaber as a sword...

chuck it in the energy weapon category lol

M

Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambler says:

"Methos says:
"Gambler says:
"Mace Windu"

do Lightsabers = swords?

M"

Yeah I'm not sure either. But a Saber is a type of sword is it not? I mean Lightsaber means Lightsword (I always though anyways)"

Since the blade is weightless, I tend to classify the lightsaber as its own weapon type rather than as a sword. It's often stated in Star Wars materials how dangerous it is for a non-Force user to try to fight with one, and as Methos said, lightsaber techniques wouldn't apply well to conventional swordsmanship. A lightsaber doesn't have an edge, so you can strike effectively from any angle. I don't know if a Jedi would do particularly well with a normal sword, especially if Force enhancements were removed.

Anyhow, I'm sticking with Benedict. He's like the immortals in Highlander, only more fun.

Cobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cobalt

Hold on what do you have against Richie Ryan? That's my dude. It's messed up what happened to him, but there can be only one. Let that one be Duncan Macleod, the highlander. And a thousand years away from the game is alot, think about it.
Post Edited:2008-02-29 12:30:49

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Alexander Anderson says:

"Gambler says:
"Methos says:
"Gambler says:
"Mace Windu"

do Lightsabers = swords?

M"

Yeah I'm not sure either. But a Saber is a type of sword is it not? I mean Lightsaber means Lightsword (I always though anyways)"

Since the blade is weightless, I tend to classify the lightsaber as its own weapon type rather than as a sword. It's often stated in Star Wars materials how dangerous it is for a non-Force user to try to fight with one, and as Methos said, lightsaber techniques wouldn't apply well to conventional swordsmanship. A lightsaber doesn't have an edge, so you can strike effectively from any angle. I don't know if a Jedi would do particularly well with a normal sword, especially if Force enhancements were removed.

Anyhow, I'm sticking with Benedict. He's like the immortals in Highlander, only more fun.

"

Weather or not a Jedi would be less affective with a conventional sword is pure speculation. There are many types of swords and not all of them are edged the same. On this site there classified as having Swordsmanship, so I'm stickin wit my boy Mace.

Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambler says:

"Alexander Anderson says:
"Gambler says:
"Methos says:
"Gambler says:
"Mace Windu"

do Lightsabers = swords?

M"

"

Weather or not a Jedi would be less affective with a conventional sword is pure speculation. There are many types of swords and not all of them are edged the same. On this site there classified as having Swordsmanship, so I'm stickin wit my boy Mace."

Fair enough. In fact, if you go by KotOR, Jedi are automatically assigned a reasonable skill with vibroswords. That's a game mechanic, but it's something. Maybe they train with normal weapons first in order to build basic skills and conditioning.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Methos

Cobalt says:

"Hold on what do you have against Richie Ryan? That's my dude. It's messed up what happened to him, but there can be only one. Let that one be Duncan Macleod, the highlander. And a thousand years away from the game is alot, think about it."

I don't have anything against Richie, he's a fun character, but he's nowhere near the swordsman levels of Duncan, Connor, Amanda or Methos

yeah, a thousand years away from game is a lot, just because he wasn't in the game doesn't mean he stopped training though...

those survival instincts of his are worth a lot lol

M

Gambler says:

"Weather or not a Jedi would be less affective with a conventional sword is pure speculation. There are many types of swords and not all of them are edged the same. On this site there classified as having Swordsmanship, so I'm stickin wit my boy Mace."

Fair enough...

guesss this is a topic we'll have to discuss further in it's own thread lol

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Methos

Alexander Anderson says:

"Fair enough. In fact, if you go by KotOR, Jedi are automatically assigned a reasonable skill with vibroswords. That's a game mechanic, but it's something. Maybe they train with normal weapons first in order to build basic skills and conditioning."

that makes fair sense...

M

Cobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cobalt

Alexander Anderson says:

"Gambler says:
"Gambler says:
"Methos says:
"Gambler says:
"Mace Windu"
do Lightsabers = swords? i'm curious now because using a lightsaber must be a hell of a lot different than using a sword... using a sword you have to be carefull of weight, momentum and such things... all of those wouldn't matter with a lightsaber, hell, if you used a sword the same way you used a lightsaber you'd end up with a chunk of dended blunt metal lol Mace Windo i definitely put in the top 5 lightsaber users... but i'm very iffy about any Lightsaber user being classified as a swordsman. M"
Since the blade is weightless, I tend to classify the lightsaber as its own weapon type rather than as a sword. It's often stated in Star Wars materials how dangerous it is for a non-Force user to try to fight with one, and as Methos said, lightsaber techniques wouldn't apply well to conventional swordsmanship. A lightsaber doesn't have an edge, so you can strike effectively from any angle. I don't know if a Jedi would do particularly well with a normal sword, especially if Force enhancements were removed. Anyhow, I'm sticking with Benedict. He's like the immortals in Highlander, only more fun. "
Weather or not a Jedi would be less affective with a conventional sword is pure speculation. There are many types of swords and not all of them are edged the same. On this site there classified as having Swordsmanship, so I'm stickin wit my boy Mace."
Fair enough. In fact, if you go by KotOR, Jedi are automatically assigned a reasonable skill with vibroswords. That's a game mechanic, but it's something. Maybe they train with normal weapons first in order to build basic skills and conditioning."

Alex, I fence, and nothing is going to have me wield a weapon like jedi do lightsabers. Not swinging a broadsword, a long sword, nothing. Lightsabers are weightless with no edge. Couple that with the force and you don't really need to practice with any regular weapon.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Methos

Also worth mentioning is using Lightsaber's for swinging and parrying, as there's no weight after the hilt you're basically left trying to gauge your attack and swing movements from the tubs in your hand...

which could be amazingly difficult for fighting if you consider the amount of difference in degrees along the length of the blade, a tiny twist of your wrist means a big twist for the top of the blade, but since there's no weight on the blade you have no way to gauge this...

all of this must be able to be calculated in the force as the user is fighting, and would mean dick all to when fighting with a normal blade.

M

Cobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cobalt

Very true, Mr. Moderator.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Methos

Buckshot says:

"We did this...somewhere. I could look it up, but really, what's the point?"

no real point, just a brain exercise to figure out the logistics of jedi with swords

M

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#27  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

We did this...somewhere. I could look it up, but really, what's the point?

Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cobalt says:

"Gambler says:
"Gambler says:
"Methos says:
"Gambler says:
"Mace Windu"
do Lightsabers = swords? i'm curious now because using a lightsaber must be a hell of a lot different than using a sword... using a sword you have to be carefull of weight, momentum and such things... all of those wouldn't matter with a lightsaber, hell, if you used a sword the same way you used a lightsaber you'd end up with a chunk of dended blunt metal lol Mace Windo i definitely put in the top 5 lightsaber users... but i'm very iffy about any Lightsaber user being classified as a swordsman. M"
Since the blade is weightless, I tend to classify the lightsaber as its own weapon type rather than as a sword. It's often stated in Star Wars materials how dangerous it is for a non-Force user to try to fight with one, and as Methos said, lightsaber techniques wouldn't apply well to conventional swordsmanship. A lightsaber doesn't have an edge, so you can strike effectively from any angle. I don't know if a Jedi would do particularly well with a normal sword, especially if Force enhancements were removed. Anyhow, I'm sticking with Benedict. He's like the immortals in Highlander, only more fun. "
Fair enough. In fact, if you go by KotOR, Jedi are automatically assigned a reasonable skill with vibroswords. That's a game mechanic, but it's something. Maybe they train with normal weapons first in order to build basic skills and conditioning."

Alex, I fence, and nothing is going to have me wield a weapon like jedi do lightsabers. Not swinging a broadsword, a long sword, nothing. Lightsabers are weightless with no edge. Couple that with the force and you don't really need to practice with any regular weapon."

In terms of technique I agree totally; there's very little in common between lightsabers and swords. I was speculating that KotOR-era Jedi (who had a looser, less codified training process) might have practiced with weighted weapons to build muscle and wrist control. It might have been a more practical idea in that time, since vibroswords and the like were fairly common, and it wouldn't hurt for a Jedi to know how to wield one, or at least understand how to counter an opponent using one.

In the prequel-era, where we never actually see a vibrosword and the Jedi Order has made the training process more regimented, knowing how to use real swords would probably have been considered an archaic skill. Weapon specialists like Cin Drallig and Dooku might have looked at it, but that's pure speculation. I'm pretty sure Younglings were started out with non-lethal training sabers, which are identical to lightsabers in terms of use.

Regardless, I agree with you completely on the vast differences between traditional swordsmanship and lightsaber combat.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lordraiden

or

or

take your pick!

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Forever

Zatoichi is amazing.

Zenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zenma

hawk eye mihawk (from one-piece)

Zenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zenma

or mushashi

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Nerx
zee crusher said:
"

Surtur the fire demon he had a 500ft 50,000ton sword who else could stop that??

"

Overlord Laharl from Disgaea sure can. 
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers