Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By krisbishop  Moderator

The Sandman (2022)

No Caption Provided

A little late, but here is the official discussion thread for the Netflix series The Sandman.

Avatar image for deactivated-634afdc6135b4
deactivated-634afdc6135b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just finished watching the show last night. It was truly something else. The visuals were magnificent. I expected nothing impressive about the show at first, but after seeing the excellence engraved in there as a whole, I must admit that this is the best show of 2022.

Darkvanderling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darkvanderling

Such an average TV series. The Sandman is the greatest comic book run IMO, but I found the adaptation pretty mid. Tom Sturridge, Boyd Holbrook and David Thewlis were great as Dream, Corinthian and John Dee respectively, but the series couldn’t capture the charm and complexity of the comic. I also disliked the changes Gaiman did with Lucifer, Lucien, Constantine and Death. As expected, I found Gwendoline Christie’s performance as Lucifer pretty dull. Jenna Coleman’s Constantine was nothing like John Constantine in the comics. I also think Patton Oswalt was miscasted as Matthew. They should’ve found someone better. Some of these changes were unnecessary just for the sake of diversity. It’s a 6/10 series for me.

Avatar image for money_brings_happiness
Money_Brings_Happiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show was top notch.

Avatar image for deactivated-6349385499256
deactivated-6349385499256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show feels like a classical music, absolutely majestic. Couldn't stop watching once I started. 9/10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvanderling said:

I also disliked the changes Gaiman did with Lucifer, Lucien, Constantine and Death. As expected, I found Gwendoline Christie’s performance as Lucifer pretty dull.

That was one of my complaints, too. I didn't enjoy the performance of Lucifer Morningstar. Although Tom Ellis doesn't fit the role of a mildly serious character, he would've portrayed the character better. Gwendoline Christie didn't have the cunningness and threatening traits of Lucifer.

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show was really good particularly the fifth episode but it didn't captured too much grittness. I guess they didn't wanted to be too much graphic. I was hoping they would capture more visuals of hell but rewatching the episode yesterday i realised that was a underwhelming episode. I guess i was expecting too much visuals to capture the fantasy but by the end i understood i was expecting to be more visually spectale which doesnt happens with low budget for Netflix shows. Acting was really good but like I said the third episode was underwhelming including acting. But it has nothing to do with diversity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvanderling: A lot of the things that has happened on Eternals including Ikaris wasnt faithful to comics. All the visuals were also pretty average for such high budget film. But you still liked it. Not Sandman

Darkvanderling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darkvanderling

@vishop_: Eternals wasn’t anywhere woke, the acting was a lot better and the visuals were far superior. The Sandman TV series definitely should’ve been way better considering Gaiman, who wrote the bloody comic was one of the co producer. It was a disappointment to me. The writing and acting was absolutely average except for few performances. Now this is if you exclude all that forced LGBTQ and gender swap rubbish. Sandman adaptation was basically woke on steroids. I anyways give it 6/10. It’s an average show with good performances from Tom Sturridge, David Thewlis and Boyd Holbrook. Seems like Gaiman can’t adapt his works to live action, considering even the American Gods adaptation was average and he was involved in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvanderling: Oh i remember now that you were butthurt for Jon Kent being bisexual. I don't know why I even care to talk with you about this. Since this show or even the comic book also has woke stuff from the start if not gender swap. Take care bye

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By heiqn
@sigmavamp said:

That was one of my complaints, too. I didn't enjoy the performance of Lucifer Morningstar. Although Tom Ellis doesn't fit the role of a mildly serious character, he would've portrayed the character better. Gwendoline Christie didn't have the cunningness and threatening traits of Lucifer.

Am I the only one who thinks Lucifer from that CW show I've never watched would be much better casting? That guy fits Lucifer perfectly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn said:

@sigmavamp said:

Am I the only one who thinks Lucifer from that CW show I've never watched would be much better casting? That guy fits Lucifer perfectly.

Tom Ellis would've done a far better job portraying Lucifer. Casting Christie never made sense to me.

cmpunk4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for universeprodigy
UniverseProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn said:

@sigmavamp said:

Tom Ellis would've done a far better job portraying Lucifer. Casting Christie never made sense to me.

Who knows. His Lucifer is a joke without any complexity.

UniverseProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall I enjoyed the show. Very decent show.

But they went overboard with the race swap. 80% of cast are black people. Which is funny, since they preach "diversity".

Death actress was decent, but I still prefer white actress playing her, since she is white in the comics. Same for Rose Walker and a decent amount of others.

Making Lucifer female is a bizarre choice as well. I don't feel intimidated by the character at all. Actress just doing an okay job.

UniverseProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Highlights of the show are Dream, Corinthian and Desire.

But the cult of serial killers was pretty dumb. Serial killers have a convention each year in a famous hotel. Hundreds of them. And nobody knows about it? Government completely clueless and never put an inside man in these conventions? Lol.

Mahfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liked the show, looking forward to a season 2.

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Battinson

Terrible show.

RemyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the show and I'm looking forward to another season if it means we get to see more of Lucifer or the other Endless. A small thing I am a bit upset with is how they replaced John with Johanna. I really like John and I think he would be more of an interesting portrayal rather than Johanna who kinda fell flat for me. But in the end it's not like it was that important since it was just a single episode.

UniverseProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@remyboy said:

I really liked the show and I'm looking forward to another season if it means we get to see more of Lucifer or the other Endless. A small thing I am a bit upset with is how they replaced John with Johanna. I really like John and I think he would be more of an interesting portrayal rather than Johanna who kinda fell flat for me. But in the end it's not like it was that important since it was just a single episode.

Yeah, the sex change is dumb and annoying. Johanna is pretty boring as well. Would be much better to see Matt Ryan's Constantine.

Why they go so far to destroy a source material character? Changing their race, sex and many other things.

Lucifer was mediocre as well.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sandman was Pretty Good I Guess. I liked the last Three Episodes a Lot and that one with Morpheus and Death was Good too. It was a couple of them that almost lost me with lack of action but Overall this was a Success.

Hentekorin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hentekorin

The Snoozeman 😴

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

pretty great

@heiqn said:

@sigmavamp said:

Tom Ellis would've done a far better job portraying Lucifer.

hard disagree tbh

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great stuff. Series of the year for me so far

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only watched the first 6 episodes so far, but am absolutely loving it.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stevestark: death was literally the best part of the show wdym?

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aystarr
@universeprodigy said:

Overall I enjoyed the show. Very decent show.

But they went overboard with the race swap. 80% of cast are black people. Which is funny, since they preach "diversity".

Death actress was decent, but I still prefer white actress playing her, since she is white in the comics. Same for Rose Walker and a decent amount of others.

Making Lucifer female is a bizarre choice as well. I don't feel intimidated by the character at all. Actress just doing an okay job.

This is such a weird criticism considering 80% of characters in the show are meant to be metaphysical/abstract beings that can present however they want to... but if we jump to conclusions now and call you names it would look like an attack against you when you know damn well this is not a normal thing to say or be concerned about 🤨.

@stevestark said:
@aystarr said:

@stevestark: death was literally the best part of the show wdym?

Lol. How? She is as far from the source material as possible.

Best part of the show is probably Desire. Death was mediocre at best.

Yeah I know about death outside of the sandman lol, I did like this version tho, it was such a cool take on the character and the first half of that episode was amazing, but yeah I loved desire to, thought I was gonna see them more but they didn't have much screentime, not even an episode of them being a big part of like how death had, can't wait to see more from both in the second season!.

a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great stuff. Series of the year for me so far

Haven't watched it yet, but I really doubt it's as good as House of The Dragon.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aystarr
@stevestark said:

Um, they have their true looks. The Endless look the same way throughout all their comic books when they speak with each other or with Lucifer.

Same for Lucifer, he has his own true look, even though he is a metaphysical being that stands above everyone except The Presence.

So no, the show just not respecting the source material and does the typical Netflix thing.

They have no true look, they're not humans or any physical being for that matter for this to cause any concern, they don't have a specific race or gender, and if they're represented one way in the comics doesn't mean they can't be depicted in other ways outside of it or in any other media, this is a stupid thing to be worried about and that's assuming the least, because their depictions doesn't affect their characters and the interactions they have with each other, anyone who wants to complain about the source material can complain about the actions or mannerism of the character not the casting of a non-physical being, a casting that is irrelevant to the story.

"The typical Netflix thing", you mean diversity and more prominent roles for POC actors/characters?🤨, Don't be weird bro.

What was so cool about her? I don't get it. She just acted the kind aspect of her persona. Which is just the small part of the character.She basically just did the most basic thing.The Death in "DC Showcase: Death" managed to capture almost the entire character, while only being 19 minutes long.Her kindness and generosity, her laid-back but wise persona, her infinite knowledge and her alluring mysteriousness.You could actually feel that she is some transcendental being that stands above humanity.Netflix Death just felt like some random basic human female, from a nearby city block. I couldn't care any less for her at all. Zero vibes of "transcendental being" from her.

The traits you just described are literally elements of The sandman's Death character also like what's even there to be mad about...?, Anyways, to each their own I guess , I like Death and the portrayal in the series and can't wait to see more of the character in S2.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stevestark:

"Diversity" shouldn't ruin the source material. I bet you would feel different if Blade suddenly became white. Or if Scarlet Witch suddenly became a man.Double standards as usual. If you want to see a diverse cast so much then create a new universe where everyone is gay or black for all I care. Don't ruin existing ones.

Yikes, the bigotry jumped out uhn?

No Caption Provided

Anyways I'm done with you, I know who I'm talking to now, Black death >>>>>> your wants, Female Lucifer>>>>> your wants , Gay Corinthian>>>>> your wants, stay pressed or whatever lmao, the end.

silvanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why the race and gender of the characters who are beyond the scope of a particular race of scope is seen as such a big deal. I can understand if that change impact something fundamental about the character.

Avatar image for brogokudestroys
brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silvanus said:

I don't get why the race and gender of the characters who are beyond the scope of a particular race of scope is seen as such a big deal. I can understand if that change impact something fundamental about the character.

It’s just trying to find ways to dislike a show. A small thing. Very small, in fact.

SONofTheStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't expect to enjoy the show as much as I did. I honestly can't wait for season 2 to come out.

CryoLancer47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn said:
@sigmavamp said:

You're not alone in that. The dude was phenomenal.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#48 frozen  Moderator

This is one of the best LA CB shows I've ever seen. Definitely tiers above MCU D+ shows or CW shows.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@frozen said:

This is one of the best LA CB shows I've ever seen. Definitely tiers above MCU D+ shows or CW shows.

Since you bumped this

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We are getting a second season too yay!