The reason Tony doesn’t build suits for all the Avengers

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll The reason Tony doesn’t build suits for all the Avengers (25 votes)

Great point dude 28%
No Tony sucks 72%

Because nobody else can pilot one.

Seriously do you guys think operating the most cutting edge piece of human technology is easy? Flying a fighter jet is notoriously difficult and only a few elite humans on the planet can do it. They need to train and specialize every day in order to reliably pilot the jet at supersonic speed while dogfighting other jets.

Just think about how hard it is to drive a car. Go up a few steps to complicated machines like cranes or forklifts. The average person can’t control a machine like that without some training. Now go up a million steps and you have the Iron Man armor. The only reason Tony can pilot it so well is probably because he built the technology so he has an understanding of every aspect. He also practices every day.

That means all the credit in the world should go to James Rhodes. A lifelong Air Force member, he was born to fly and dogfight. That’s why he is the only person able to pilot an armor other then the person who invented it.

Thoughts? Do you think it would be easy for Black Widow to master jet aircraft piloting without any prior experience?

• 
g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

You're right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d63328d49e56
deactivated-5d63328d49e56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pepper managed to pilot a suit, I'm sure any of the Avengers could do so as well.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Richubs

@the_hajduk:

In the MCU Tony learned to fly the suit at the first try.

You need some levels of "plot" to explain why he doesn't do it.

Natasha and Clint in the MCU can fly planes and are trained assassins taught to learn anything quickly.

Same for Cap. If Clint had an Iron Man suit in AoU QS would never have died. Natasha would've stomped Proxima. And many other things would change.

Tony could certainly make suits for them but then he isn't unique. You just gotts go with things like these because they have to happen in order to have a movie. I don't mind it. I don't think it's bad enough for others to be concerned too.

The only other reason as to why he doesn't make the suit for others (for the MCU atleast) could be because after Iron Man 1 he learned not to make weapons for other people. He doesn't want his most powerful invention to go AWOL and after Iron Man 2 he must also have realized how dangerous the tech would be in someone else's hands. That's the ony reason I could think of. The reason that you need experience to fly it isn't justified. Natasha, Clint, Cap and all other Avengers have all the time to train in one. He doesn't even provide any special armor for these people. It's because plot.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its because plot the Avengers have all had time to learn how to use a suit.. hell Pepper flies one... Spiderman used the Iron Spider with no trouble also..

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By buttersdaman000

@zezima- said:

Pepper managed to pilot a suit, I'm sure any of the Avengers could do so as well.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: @buttersdaman000: @zezima-: Is it so hard to believe that Pepper possesses an expertise not held by every Avenger? After years of exposure to Tony’s lifestyle and working for him, she had time to understand the suit and practice flying one.

You think Black Widow can dedicate concentrated years of her life like that? She’s a very busy global super spy.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: Tony didn’t learn to fly on his first try. He escaped the terrorist nest but immediately crash landed and destroyed his suit. The movie explicitly dedicates multiple scenes to him learning to fly.

Natasha and Clint have flown quinjets for transport. What they’ve shown is a very general knowledge of many many skills. They haven’t shown deep knowledge in skills like piloting. For instance we never saw Hawkeye dogfighting with a Quinnjet. That is a world apart from just transporting people.

Bruce Banner is a Stark level genius with explicit experience working with Tony on suits. The movie still showed him not piloting the suit as well as Tony. For some reason people take that as “the writers are saying Banner is an idiot” instead of “the writers are pointing out that not just anybody can hop in an Iron Man armor and do just as good as Tony Stark.”

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't the reason in the comics and the films always supposed to be because the arc reactor in his chest (which nobody else has) is needed to power a suit.

They've probably done away with that reason over the years, no doubt the films have, but, I think that was the initial reason. I think people have been asking that question since the 70s.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Hajduk

@marvelanddcfan24: And the Iron Spider is explicitly not as advanced as an Iron Man suit. There’s no flying. No million sensors and streams of data about every factor in the environment. No hydraulic punches and strength enhancement. Pulling those things off and controlling a jackhammer punch is something only Tony Stark can do. Maybe Rhodey too I guess.

The Iron Spider is really just armor, not POWERED armor. Anybody can take some armor and put it on. There’s no PILOTING unless you’re wearing a powered armor. It also has a couple features like the arms, but there’s a reason that is tailored specifically towards Spider-Man’s fighting style.

Imagine Peter Parker in the proper Iron Man suit. You think he’d perfectly fly it? It would be like Iron Man 1 when Tony does his first flight test and just slams into the wall.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

I'm pretty sure Steve Rogers would be able to Pilot one tbh

EDIT: yeah everybody bringing up Pepper is a really good point....Tony sucks lool

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

@the_hajduk said:

@richubs: @buttersdaman000: @zezima-: Is it so hard to believe that Pepper possesses an expertise not held by every Avenger?

Considering their respective skill sets, Pepper shouldn't have any advantage that would allow her significantly greater ease in using an iron man suit than any of the rest of them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: What expertise exactly? She spent years with Tony, but as far as we know, she never really used the suits in any real capacity until Endgame.

The other Avengers spent years with Stark as well, as a team. We see Peter adapt and use the Iron Spider within minutes of wearing it, we see Bruce don the Hulkbuster in Infinity War, and Pepper uses her own suit in Endgame.

I believe there's a learning curve with mastering the suit, obviously nobody is as skilled with it as Tony, but using the suit seems to be rather simple.

I believe Natasha, Steve, Clint all could wear the suit and use it well, obviously they wouldn't be masters like Tony, but given time they would be very adept at using it.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zezima-: It’s possible Pepper was born for it. That’s why she gravitated towards Tony and had things in common with him in the first place.

Black Widow was born to fight martial arts. She’s a prodigy. Pepper is just a prodigy for what she does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zezima- said:

@the_hajduk: What about Bruce/Peter?

I addressed this in my post above. Banner is a Tony level genius who could learn how to fly an alien plane, and he has on-screen experience with building the suits, and he was still explicitly shown having a hard time controlling the Hulkbuster. This is while having experience as the Hulk and stating that the Hulkbuster is just like being the Hulk. He used a suit that leaned into his specialties. He still had a hard time controlling it. Now imagine him trying to pilot a proper Iron Man suit.

Peter's suit isn't powered armor. It's just armor. Anybody can wear armor. There's no flight. There's no million sensors and streams of data about every factor in the environment. No hydraulic punches and strength enhancement. Those are the type of things that require Tony's expertise. With the Iron Spider there is nothing to pilot, it's just armor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: Bruce actually had a better showing against Cull with the Hulkbuster than Tony did with his Nano Tech suit. The time he seemed incompetent was when he tripped and when he was swarmed by Outriders, and for a guy with zero combat experience of his own, he did pretty well.

I see no reason why people like Steve, Clint, and Natasha, who are all trained in combat, and who have experience with aircraft, especially Clint and Natasha, would have significant issues with any Iron Man suit, given we see civilians such as Bruce and Pepper use them with ease.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony could just have the suit navigation and maneuvering actions be automated or A.I. assisted.

Kinda like those gay Segway scooters that auto-balance itself, or commercial plane auto-pilot system, albeit much more complex.

adamantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'all skipping some major tech.

The AI, I doubt anyone can pilot the suit like Tony did on Titan without an AI but with one they might be able to eventually but still at a lesser level.

As for pepper it's a 5 year time jump and she's been around Tony for what 10 years? That's 15 years of seeing how the suits run and God knows what else.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

Because it'd be awful for iconic characters with unique fighting styles to just be Iron Man.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: . Tony only tried to set the thrust capacity and tried to figure out a position in which he can fly.

The very test before his first flight was his first test and he learned how to fly by the end of it.

He wasn't learning how to fly before that only what thrust capacity would work for him.

Clint hasn't been in a dogfight but given aim is liteslly his superpower I doubt we need to see him aim. He has also shown incredible maneuverability in AoU when he tried to fly off with Vision. Its also incredibly unrealistic to assume he cannot learn to fly the suit given Rhodey could fly it on his first try. Rhodey doesn't exactly have any other incredible flying feats. It's safe to assume he's a good Air Force pilot so around Maria Rambeau. Which means Clint is also around him.

Having explicit knowledge on suits actually doesn't mean much. Not all engineers are pilots and not all pilots are engineers. Having knowledge on the suits is pretty irrelevant honestly. He is not fit at all. Doesn't have any decent experience in fights and doesn't posses any other physical skill. He simply isn't good enough to pilot an Iron Man suit. The writers didn't make him an idiot. They made him incompetent like any older man who has to fight in a big mechanical suit without any experience in physical fights

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk:

And your theory on Pepper learning to fly is super unlikely too.

Her awkwardness when in a suit in Iron Man 3 made it apparant that she had never used a suit before

After than Tony destroys all suits and Pepper doesn't want any of it again. She isn't getting inside a suit if Tony is still using it for combat. Endgame was a very special circumstance.

Pepper doesn't have any expertise

And again, learning how the suits work has nothing to do with flying it.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk:

Another thing which you can't explain is why he simply doesn't make an exoskeleton for all of them. Given how advanced his AIs are it'd be a breez to make a super durable suit for everyone else which does tneed the functionality of Iron Man suits. There's literally no explanation for why that doesn't happen.

The answer again is plot. We can't have all the characters like Iron Man otherwise we won't have a movie.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlphaQ

I don't really buy that he doesn't make something for them because they're just that hard to use. It's probably more like he doesn't want to distribute his precious tech around too much, and from a grander level it doesn't sell movies if everyone is just a copy of Iron Man. As already said, Pepper managed to do it and Tony could likely build an A.I or some technological work-around when it comes to inferior piloting abilities. If he can program suits to work without a pilot, he should be able to make ones that run with some assistance or guidance from just about anybody.

Killermovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: just because you know how something works for a long time doesn't mean you can use it. An Engineer might know how a plane works but that sure as hell doesn't mean he knows how to fly it. And that's a generous analogy. Pepper isn't even an engineer. She just sees tony use the suits. If anything the Avengers have seen Tony's suit more in combat than pepper ever did.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killbilly  Moderator

@zezima-: It’s possible Pepper was born for it. That’s why she gravitated towards Tony and had things in common with him in the first place.

No Caption Provided

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Mrnoital

Plot, he could easily make them all bulletproof, and give them suits that enhance the styles that they already use, like he did with spiderman

Especially falcon

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Amcu

Its plot. I don't think its a big deal or that we should overanalyze it.

Your point would be okay if it weren't for the fact that its easily disproven by events in the MCU. For instance in Iron Man 3 a random Extremis dude took control of Rhodey's suit and flew it without a problem, despite never doing so before. Rhodey piloted Tony's suit the first time he tried. Even Banner was able to effectively use the Hulkbuster suit in combat against Cull Obsidian after a little while to get used to it.

Tony501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can fly that thing and so can I All one needs is time to learn it’s not a space ship.

Ryokuma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they were placed in a stressful and quick situation, I don’t think they’d be able to operate it in time.

But given time (maybe even less than a day) they could at least operate the basics of a suit.