The problem with omnipotence in fiction

• 44 results
Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The concept of omnipotence is old and tired it's long past time we conceived of characters who are BEYOND omnipotent

LMBlinkStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CAS exists in real world.

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An entity who is actually omnipotent should have all the abilities that the supposed "beyond omnipotent" characters have. Humans just can't properly conceive of omnipotence and writers who try to make a character who is "beyond omnipotent" always end up making the opposite

LMBlinkStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcflicky:

The human imagination is limitless we are perfectly capable of coming up with things beyond the limits of logic, we CAN conceive of things beyond omnipotence and we SHOULD, in fact some have already done so

LMBlinkStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LMBlinkStomp

The human imagination is not unlimited.

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmblinkstomp: it is , the only limits on our ability to conceive are the one we put on ourselves

LMBlinkStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LMBlinkStomp

@lmblinkstomp: it is , the only limits on our ability to conceive are the one we put on ourselves

No, it is not. With your imagination make a square circle then.

Omnipotencia > Logic

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmblinkstomp: that's the problem, you're expecting too much logic from fiction, dont think so damn much

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickswordfish: Humans are finite creatures with finite perceptions. We cannot properly conceptualize the idea of infinity and even incredible vast finite numbers are difficult for most people to grasp. The truth is, all of these characters who are supposedly "beyond omnipotent" don't even close to what that truly means

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcflicky: again stop using so much goddamn logic, SUSPEND YOUR DISBELIEF, DONT THINK SO MUCH

LMBlinkStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmblinkstomp: that's the problem, you're expecting too much logic from fiction, dont think so damn much

If the human imagination has no limits, there would be no need for these types of questions, which shows that it has limits.

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmblinkstomp: look there are plenty of concepts that go beyond omnipotence I can show them to you, provided you know how to read

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickswordfish: What is logical and illogical is bound by the finite perceptions of humans. You could make the most convoluted and contradictory character possible. Their abilities are still subject to a finite imagination and wouldn't come anywhere near the concept of omnipotence.

LMBlinkStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmblinkstomp: look there are plenty of concepts that go beyond omnipotence I can show them to you, provided you know how to read

The "omnipotent" that you are conceiving are actually "logical omnipotent" beings that can do everything logically possible. not omnipotent absolutes that transcend even those that contain everything.

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This the main problem with mainstream storytelling, we have become creatively stifled because of the limits we have put on our imaginations over the centuries, coming up with things beyond omnipotence is exactly what we need to reinvigorate our storytelling abilities

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I'm proposing will save fiction as we know it

LMBlinkStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xD

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GGtinyPP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There’s only one character who is omnipotent and it has many forms, entities like the presence and the one above all might just be the same character. Some people say they are omnipotent like the beyonder but even he has limits making him close to omnipotent but not omnipotent.

LMBlinkStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmblinkstomp: what are you laughing at?

You speak if fiction were in danger, being beyond omnipotence does not mean anything anyway, since the term "omnipotence" can vary from work to work just like the word "universe"

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmblinkstomp: it is in danger and if you cant see that then you're the problem not me

GGtinyPP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@rickswordfish: sorry sir I guess I’ll move on to the next thread, thank you for having me, god bless

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The concept of omnipotence is old and tired it's long past time we conceived of characters who are BEYOND omnipotent

There aren't actually any fictional omnipotent characters. They may be "omnipotent" in their own verse, but they're only nigh-omnipotent outside of that verse. No beings are true omnipotents. If they were, they wouldn't be restricted by verses.

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ggtinypp said:

@rickswordfish: sorry sir I guess I’ll move on to the next thread, thank you for having me, god bless

Dang, I'm sad now :C

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boutatakeanl: Tell me what's the weather like up your own ass

It's an ass. It doesn't have weather patterns that resemble the ones we see in the atmosphere, if that's what you're referring to.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TakenStew22

It's hard to really make a "truly" omnipotent character in fiction because said character would be perfect in basically every single way.

RikuYamaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it depends on your true outlook of Omnipotent and how it's used. Cause Omnipotent can mean two things. All powerful or Very powerful.

The first is the contradictory one. A being with "All powerful" powers should logically be able to not follow the set rules of the fiction they're in, as they are clearly more powerful then said system. A contradictory being will always fail in fiction.

However the Very powerful one works just to elaborate on how powerful a character is. Like "His fist are Omnipotent within the Ring", meaning they're just VERY powerful within their own series.

I mostly prefer to use the Very Powerful method to deal with Omnipotent characters that have these Omnipotent claims

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does no one realize that this is a troll post?

The op is not open to any discussion and is constantly insulting people who make arguments against them.

Mike_Strike10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

God Gate Gilgamesh solos the thread.

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stories thrive on conflicts and flaws. Omnipotent characters inherently can't have those.

So no. Omnipotents don't exist.

And frankly they shouldn't.

RedGuard1an

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah definitely a troll post. Though on a serious note I usually refrain from using terms like "omnipotent" as the whole thing creates a paradox. If someone is omnipotent shouldn't they be able to create a rock so heavy they can't lift it? If they're omnipotent shouldn't they be able to lift said rock?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is no ”beyond omnipotent.” That’s like saying beyond infinity or beyond limitless. a character is either omnipotent or not. having a character who is that powerful will make story telling impossible. Writers can’t even write spiderman without ignoring his powers. You can’t write a compelling story about a truly omnipotent being without ignoring almost all of his powers and making him act like a complete moron for the sake of the plot.

HappyLife1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah definitely a troll post. Though on a serious note I usually refrain from using terms like "omnipotent" as the whole thing creates a paradox. If someone is omnipotent shouldn't they be able to create a rock so heavy they can't lift it? If they're omnipotent shouldn't they be able to lift said rock?

Multiplies himself. Make a version that can lift the rock and another that can't. Lol

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omnipotent characters simply do not exist in our mental compacity, we do not have the sheer mental faculties to create one boundless and beyond our knowledge because we aren't all knowing at all, we humans love to think we know everything, but we really don't especially when buzz terms get outdated and the character looks dumb. Going beyond omnipotent would be just being true omnipotent, there's no before or after.

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Futureisbest

@rickswordfish: Surely omnipotent wouldn't need to be "beyond" omnipotent if omnipotent is truly omnipotent. That's what I'm saying, beyond omnipotent IS omnipotent. If there's a "beyond omnipotent" then omnipotent does not exist.

Rickswordfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers