#1 Edited by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Has anybody seen this film yet? What did you think?

#2 Posted by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty awful.

Predators (2010) remains by far the best sequel in my eyes.

#3 Posted by buildhare (8746 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow:

It wasn't very good, although some of the action was great.

Have you seen it?

#4 Edited by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio

@buildhare: Yeah, I really didn't like it. In terms of action, The Predator escape scene was truly awesome, but it was downhill from there.

#5 Posted by buildhare (8746 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow:

Fair enough, if I were watching the movie just for feats it was good. Big Predator is OP.

#6 Edited by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio

@buildhare: It felt too OP for my liking, the way it shredded the classic Predator rubbed me wrong, would've liked to see more of a battle, or the Predator team up with humans, it was straight up fodderised. I also don't get why, if those suits at the end of the film were so OP and would give us a chance against the Upgrade Predator, the classic Predator didn't wear one, or have similar gear. Nothing really made sense in this film. But yeah purely based on feats the UG Predator was well above any previous Predator.

#7 Posted by Tenguswordsman (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Any good feats for both Yautja?

#8 Posted by buildhare (8746 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow:

Yeah based on the trailers I thought regular Pred and Humans v Ultimate was going to be a bigger part of it. What we got was nothing like that.

Did seem kind of dumb that it was that far above anything else we've seen.

#9 Posted by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow:

Yeah based on the trailers I thought regular Pred and Humans v Ultimate was going to be a bigger part of it. What we got was nothing like that.

Did seem kind of dumb that it was that far above anything else we've seen.

Felt very much like the syndrome plaguing movies recently. Reboot/remake/sequel but this time it's BIGGERERER!! And the attempts to further the lore felt very convoluted and out of place. Did I misinterpret it or did they basically retcon previous movies so that the reason Predators take spines is to collect DNA, not trophies?

If so:

No Caption Provided

Could've kept this whole film much more streamlined.

#10 Posted by Fabricolage (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

To sit through something you've been wanting to try out and being fueled with high expectations, only to be disappointed. Shoot...

#11 Posted by GraniteVision (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

7/10

I wanted to see more scenes with Predators

#12 Edited by adamTRMM (9333 posts) - - Show Bio

This was most certainly one of the messiest movies I've seen in my life. Another example of corporate failure where a talent that they hired by definition was wrong for the project.

But now I'm effing sure want an independent black comedy from Shane Black. Dude got some pretty damn fine sense of humor for sure.

#13 Posted by the_stegman (40301 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I literally walked out during the third act. Very disappointing movie.

#14 Posted by Saberscar223 (4455 posts) - - Show Bio

Was that the Alien Tail spear from the end of alien vs predator that the scientists was looking at?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bae6e10f11f4
#15 Posted by deactivated-5bae6e10f11f4 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Bet people regret bitching about Predators now...

#16 Posted by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio

Predators was a solid follow up, not as good as the first, but definitely a worthy sequel. They should bring Royce back tbh, he was arguably the best character in the films, Dutch was all testosterone and charisma, and that's badass, and he's awesome, but Royce was the most fleshed out protagonist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bae6e10f11f4
#17 Posted by deactivated-5bae6e10f11f4 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Adrian got so much unwarranted shit. Dudes 6,1 and was jacked as shit, he knew his tactics, and has a clear history. Damn good portrayal. I feel like people who insulted them were just mad he could play a skinny pianist and a badass. I totally bought him in the role, the super Preds were way better too

#18 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16432 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, I was pretty hyped for this movie :(

#19 Posted by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Adrian got so much unwarranted shit. Dudes 6,1 and was jacked as shit, he knew his tactics, and has a clear history. Damn good portrayal. I feel like people who insulted them were just mad he could play a skinny pianist and a badass. I totally bought him in the role, the super Preds were way better too

In that final scene against the Super-predator he looked jacked. Royce was tiers ahead of Mckenna as a protagonist. In this film, I only liked Nebraska from the main team.

The idea of a blood feud between clans was cooler, and of the Predators updating their tech and tactics based on encounters rather than genetics, and of "Bad Bloods", it introduced far more interesting concepts into the films. Genetic modification didn't ring true at all for me. The set-up for Predator vs Predator and Human/Predator team-up made way more sense as well.

#20 Posted by buildhare (8746 posts) - - Show Bio

@variant06 said:

Predators was a solid follow up, not as good as the first, but definitely a worthy sequel. They should bring Royce back tbh, he was arguably the best character in the films, Dutch was all testosterone and charisma, and that's badass, and he's awesome, but Royce was the most fleshed out protagonist.

Eh, I still think Dutch is better but Predators was always great, I doubt we'll get something as good as it for a while.

#21 Edited by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio

@buildhare said:
@rogueshadow said:
@variant06 said:

Eh, I still think Dutch is better but Predators was always great, I doubt we'll get something as good as it for a while.

Dutch was pure 80's badassery, they were never gonna match what Arnie brought to the table, there's practically nobody I can think of nowadays who could, so they went a different route, Royce is lean and tactical and has more depth. I liked him a lot.

The 2018 film just feels like almost any fan of the series could've structured a better plot for this film though. It's one of those films where you really can't understand how half of the stuff in it made it through multiple rewrites, draft and storyboarding by professionals.

#22 Posted by Emanresu_20 (3113 posts) - - Show Bio

I’ve never wanted to burn a theatre down so much before.

#23 Posted by KingOfWakanda (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm clearly in the minority but I thought it was actually solid, though definitely not great.

I really liked the team dynamic and I dug Sterling K. Brown as the villain. We got some Shane Black humor, though more crass than clever this time around. The Predator escape was dope and the final hunt had some good moments. The standard Predator and Uber Predator (though super OP) were both really badass.

That being said, the story, while being very basic, was a mess. It felt like a lot of scenes were cut for time. We never see the wife again, we never see how the team acquires the RV or the cop car. Sterling K. Brown just accidentally shoots himself. Olivia Munn gets left behind firing at the ship and appears miraculously out of nowhere to save the day with camouflage (when did she even get this?) even though the ship has flown miles away. It gets sloppy.

Predator > Predators >>The Predator > AVP > Predator 2> AVP2

#24 Posted by Abezethibou (840 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually like funny action-packed popcorn flicks but this movie was insultingly bad

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#25 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22876 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, not surprised. Shane Black directing a Predator movie never sat right with me, and I was already disappointed they didn't continue with Adrien Brody's Predators.

#26 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

Looked awful. I bought the first predator 3 days ago and watched it like yesterday. I'm gonna pass on 2018

#27 Posted by Stefano (2561 posts) - - Show Bio

I was liking the movie until the small predator died, then it got kinda boring.

I though it was really forced how the kid could operate alien tech and the biologist could fight with the soldiers.

I also hated the predator/Ironman armor at the end of the movie.

But I did like the characters overall.

#28 Posted by EICHHOLTZ (588 posts) - - Show Bio

If the first predator was a fugitive and trying to help humanity get this predator suit then why did he kill so many humans?

#29 Posted by the_stegman (40301 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rate the franchise from best to worst

1. Predator

2. Predator 2

3. Predators

4. AvP

5. The Predator

6. AvP:R

#30 Posted by KingOfWakanda (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@eichholtz: His plan was unclear. Like did he have contacts in the government? Who the hell was he going to give the suit to?

But I think killing the humans was a result of waking up in an unfamiliar place, chained down and surrounded. Likely felt threatened. He didn't see Olivia Munn as a threat and let her go. He was just trying to escape after that.

#31 Posted by EICHHOLTZ (588 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingofwakanda: besides for the action scenes the movie was a hot mess.

#32 Posted by KingOfWakanda (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@eichholtz: I can't disagree. Story was all over the place. I did really like the team. Dude who played Nebraska was cool. Thomas Jane and Keegan Michael were cracking me up. Olivia Munn had some bad line readings but at least she looked great.

#33 Posted by dodirty31 (1692 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty great.

One thing that once I saw it I couldn't get out of my head... When the Super Predator crashes his ship into the pond/lake.... it immediately to me looked like a Lilo and Stitch easter egg...

Ship wreck with a giant alien law bringer with a smaller neurotic person in orange.

I just immediately saw Gantu and Rueben as Predator and Rory and I busted out laughing.

#34 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16432 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saw this, incerdibly disappointed, did not care for any character, the only good thing was they didn't shy away from showing blood, but the essence of the Predators was missing, didn't even felt like a Predator movie.

For all the flack the Alien vs Predator movies get, the first one was actually very enjoyable with a nice story and attachment to characters.

#35 Posted by KingLouie (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

It was better than I expected going in.

Olivia Munn a babe as always.

#36 Posted by Stormdriven (17952 posts) - - Show Bio

GET TO THE CHOPPAS