The Overrated Capabilities of The Battle Computer and How You Are (Probably) Using it Wrong (PR Files #1)

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By ProfessorRespect

Introduction

There's no easy way to start this off, but you've probably heard stuff like this before.

========

'famed ability belonging to Wildstorm's Midnighter, Lucas Trent, that endows the user with a high level of precognition. Using the Battle Computer, one can "know what special abilities [their opponent] has, detect increased electrical activity in the brain, know what moves [they] are preparing to make". Most impressively, Midnighter claims to have fought an impending battle in his head "a million different ways" allowing him to hit his opponent without them ever seeing him or having the ability to respond'

'As most everyone here knows, the battle computer is a tool that many users find useful when building a team to carry them through the tourney. I too find it well equipped here. It will be used during the 2.5 hours prep that I have available to me, for a couple reasons, beyond just letting me know how this fight is going to play out many different ways. Running millions of simulations puts the Full Knowledge in a visual form for my three members to see it in action.'

'Midnighter's Battle Computer, which essentially gives her some super-nifty precognition, letting her see every encounter of how the fight will go in the future, allowing my team to plan accordingly, knowing everything your team has to offer and how to deal with them appropriately.'

========

You may have also seen this scan being propagated a lot:

No Caption Provided

If you haven't, don't worry. If you have, then you already know the almost meme-like status that this gets spammed out. This is all in reference to the Battle Computer, which is a device used by famed Wildstorm/DC anti-hero Midnighter. It allows him to predict future actions or telegraph the actions of his opponents via electrical activity and predictive software.

However, there's been a abundance of people (as showcased above) using this device....in ways that aren't quite appropriate or accurate. Don't worry, I'm not going to drag any specific person under the dirt for this. I'm not @jashugan lol. This is merely to showcase how the often surface knowledge of the Battle Computer (as some all-seeing genie that can predict everything) is insanely out of order, and how such a device actually functions in the field. For this, I have provided numerous examples of the Battle Computer failing or not being infallible, namely from a combination of Wildstorm and N52 feats. Some excuse N52 because of something about Midnighter being "nerfed" but this doesn't really appear to be the case, especially as his Battle Computer functions the same way more or less. As someone who has actually gone though N52 and Rebirth Midnighter in detail, I can also back up this statement with actual facts given my experience.

This is merely intended to display the limitations of such a device in action. I haven't included every single feat of Midnighter getting his ass kicked, because that's NOT the point. This isn't a Midnighter disrespect thread, it's a further examination of how the Battle Computer actually contends beyond the two or three scans people tend to use over and over again.

The Issue of Speed

No Caption Provided

Anything moving beyond the processing time of the Battle Computer essentially makes it null and void. Even if it moves just slightly faster than the response time of the user, the Battle Computer struggles to contend and will usually always be overwhelmed. (Grifter and Midnighter #4)

Scan 1/2/3- Here, the Battle Computer is specifically scrambled by a disorientating team attack by Liberty One, of which it is incapable of processing a correct way of handling them all at once. Through Midnighter would handle them later with additional time and some smart antics on his behalf, this is a pretty telling limitation of the Computer as a whole. (Midnighter #13)

Scan 1/2/3- Here, Midnighter is once again overwhelmed by a faster creature as a mutant with multiple regular brains is able to process faster than the Battle Computer, ambushing him despite already processing every scenario possible as per his own words. Midnighter's only actual processed solution in this case was to use Apollo to destroy the mutant, something he noticeably admits afterwards. (Superman and the Authority #2)

In conclusion, we can presume that the Battle Computer and those using it must be aware that it can be overwhelmed by a swift response or by subjects too fast for it to process in time. Through Midnighter has handled individual speedsters using a combination of smarts, experience, and processed solutions, this is usually when he's given time to do so.

The Issue of Technology

Scan 1/2- Actual pre-cognitive powers can overwhelm it utterly. For example Afterthought, a being that can see always 5 seconds ahead of everyone via quantum-technology is able to completely dominate Midnighter in combat. He wins after a rematch, but only after prepping beforehand by reinforcing his armor by double it is usually. (Midnighter #9)

Scan 1/2/3- As the Battle Computer is software, it can be easily disabled or broken by any half-decent virus. While Midnighter does reinforce his security afterwards, it doesn't really mean this sort of thing can't happen again. (Stormwatch- Team Achilles #6)

No Caption Provided

It can also be blocked by scrambling the brain specifically using TP or simply blocking the output of the Battle Computer from getting there in the first place. (The Authority- Prime #3)

Scan 1/2- Gets disabled by simple Warworld scrambling systems, which disable his CPU section of the Battle Computer from working. (Future State- Superman Worlds of War #1)

Scan 1/2/3/4- Nanotechnology is easily able to bypass any predictive element of the Battle Computer if advanced enough, namely Holt-Griffin Skin, which is a advanced form of technoskin that can remain invisible to the sensors that guide and predict for the Computer. They are used by Prometheus to ambush Midnighter with not just random thugs, but also by directly disguising himself, allowing for a ambush. This also proves that other highly advanced forms of techno-invisibility (say, Mister Terrific T-Spheres) could be also immune to it. (Midnighter #6)

What It Can't Detect

Scan 1/2/3- Can be fooled rather easily with correct bluffing, namely Manhunter pretending to be "dead" after Midnighter ambushes him with a pressure point attack. This shows that the Computer, through it seems to be fine with human bluffing, isn't so fallible when it comes to aliens or other organisms doing the same. (Stormwatch #1)

Scan 1/2- Can't accurately detect gases or micro-chemicals, namely in this case gaseous nanotechnology. Middy knows something is wrong, but needs Steel to actually detect and process what is occurring. (Superman and the Authority #4)

Scan 1/2- Doesn't work in mystical dimensions whatsoever. When Middy enters Hell, his Computer outright stops working altogether. (Midnighter and Apollo #3)

Scan 1/2/3/4- Has zero no experience in predicting magic whatsoever or anything related to it. When Middy is secretly drugged with mystical herbs, he has zero idea what is going on beforehand, and fails to predict such a action happening in the first place. The Computer outright can't detect any enchantments either: when he's enhanced by mystic spells to be capable of fighting in Hell, the Computer detects nothing at all. (Midnighter and Apollo #2)

Scan 5- This is also shown by how Middy can't tell this guy is a demon from his Battle Computer (which only tells him HUMAN ways of him bluffing while in his illusion, showing it was fooled) but from using his name to expose his real self.

Scan 1/2/3- Gets fooled by mystic illusions generated by N52 Neron. (Midnighter and Apollo #5)

Scan 1/2/3- Can't detect extremely minuscule details: for example, this opponent had his sweat laced with a nerve toxin, which effects Middy over the course of the fight. Despite that fact, the Battle Computer is incapable of addressing such a obvious variable whatsoever. (Midnighter #17)

What It Can't Predict

Scan 1/2/3- Can have gaps in processing exact details in combat, especially in chaotic brawls. It gets the arm length of Middy wrong, misses where the fourth thug was completely, and then fails to do so again when he's held up at gunpoint, requiring Apollo to assist to save his life. (Young Romance- A New 52 Valentine's Day Special)

Scan 1/2- Can't account for the user's own personal incapability, like dehydration or prolonged exposure to a dangerous environment, in this case the desert. Middy claims to be able to predict his and Dick Grayson's fates, but this not only turns out to be inaccurate in the end (Dick gets saved, Middy doesn't) but he also can't accurately predict getting hit mid-conversation. (Grayson #5)

Scan 1/2- Can't figure out overtly psychotic targets like the Joker at all. Middy spends the whole fight on the defensive until Apollo assists, later admitting that he couldn't actually "see" a fight where he won against him. (DC-Wildstorm- Dreamwar #5)

Scan 1/2/3- To add on to this specific point, the Computer can't predict overtly irrational actions: namely this woman suddenly committing death after Middy saves her in a very brutal fashion. (Midnighter #10)

Scan 1/2- Is incapable of predicting psychic offence, in this instance Grifter being able to ambush him using TK-induced strikes. Even when they go into a full near-issue long fight next issue, Middy is still incapable of getting a read on him and how to handle his non-physical TK stuff. (Grifter #13/4)

No Caption Provided

While it helps predict certain actions, it doesn't provide a overall historical perspective of a subject: for example here, Middy is informed of Nightwing's overall fighting style but not of his earlier days as Robin, which allows him to lose the physical fight as he's not prepared. (Grayson #6)

Scan 1/2- The Battle Computer doesn't work if the opponent makes no overt move in the first place. This makes such a Computer rather useless when trying to determine non-combat actions and whatnot, namely prep. The Computer never observes such a action in the first place, and as such is incapable of doing anything but waiting. Through Midnighter had seen such a guy in action before in combat, he couldn't replicate such knowledge here. (The Authority- Human on the Inside)

Larger structures can't be deconstructed or analysed nearly as well as individuals. When Middy enters Gamorra Tower, the Computer is incapable of finding any possible way of destroying the incredibly huge sections by itself. His only solution was to actually crash the ship itself, but this didn't destroy everything on board either, so it's a half-measure that still worked, albeit the issue of these sections being too large for effective analysis is still present. (The Authority #4)

Conclusion

All in all, I can safely say that while the attitudes of the Battle Computer are mostly still usable (it's not useless of course, never would say such a thing) it's something where I hope people can at least agree that there are very present issues and limitations. If you look back at the times I quoted people using the Battle Computer (you can figure out where with some smart thinking of your own) nearly all of them would be outright unusable with this evidence present, or at best, incredibly easy to counter. My hope is that this gets those who specifically use the Computer to read more on Middy (he's a pretty fun character all in all after reading most of his solo issues and appearances) and Wildstorm in general so that these sort of things can be picked up on faster, and these instances become a thing of the past.

Hopefully this has also made some of the general audience reading this be a little bit more curious about this sort of material. I'd highly recommend picking up Wildstorm, especially given it's not really plagued in decades of plot and canon like Marvel or DC are, with a lot of stories being very isolated from each other: you don't need to know tons of plot details to enjoy reading them.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Credit

Thanks to @buildhare for getting in touch after my initial contact and helping out with some of my questions on the matter: they were quite useful in getting this formatted out.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Fantastic

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Now this is cool

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good job! I always thought he was nearly untouchable by seeing articles and comments hyping from his abilities. Might read more on him then to get to know the character well.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good job! I always thought he was nearly untouchable by seeing articles and comments hyping from his abilities. Might read more on him then to get to know the character well.

Please do! His stories are fun.

PaleBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Neat.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

nice series

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this a respect thread?

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Update)

The scan with Manhunter was pre-Battle Computer implant upon extensive double checking. Everything else is valid through :)

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By terry2012
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a second PR file?

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a second PR file?

This is the first thus far. I have some ideas for the second one.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. What DC character did you suggest again a while back? Count Crystal, was it?

To be honest I forgot. I thought it was Icon. So let us go with O.M.A.C (One Man Army Corps Buddy Blank) or Mongol The Elder or Sr.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:

Sure. What DC character did you suggest again a while back? Count Crystal, was it?

To be honest I forgot. I thought it was Icon. So let us go with O.M.A.C (One Man Army Corps Buddy Blank) or Mongol The Elder or Sr.

Cool.

ps4gamerdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fabricolage said:

I agree.

I also agree

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers