The New Wiki Editing Interface is Live!

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wcarle

Hey all, we just released the new wiki editing interface!

It should be a much quicker than the old interface, and some large pages that were previously un-editable should now also work. We will continue to address feedback and improve the site, in fact it will be much easier to fix bugs and add new features now that we're on a much newer platform.

If you have any general feedback please post it in this thread.

If you find any bugs please post them in this bug reporting thread: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-2/master-bug-reporting-thread-for-the-new-wiki-1949041/

We will address any bugs as quickly as we can.

For a quick video explaining the new interface check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=812VyLxDP8c

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

@wcarle Any chances of an update on what you're currently working on so we don't suggest what's already in progress.

From what I remember reading on the beta, a few suggestions include:

• A dark theme
  • The removal of the pointless sidebar when wiki editing. The old one was perfect and didn't take up 25% of my screen.
  • An improved user feed
  • Removal of the pointless forums (Delete/Combine pages and Quests)
Tessa_Callahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

As was mentioned multiple times in multiple places can we PLEASE get a dark theme.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would also be nice if the Story Arc section of any Episode linked back to the actual story arc page.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

^^ What Mercy said.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As was mentioned multiple times in multiple places can we PLEASE get a dark theme.

Yes, please.

Tessa_Callahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tessa_Callahan

@cloudguy: They’re referring to me. I’m better known by my Mercy account.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chronicplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@tessa_callahan said:

Yes, please.

Tessa_Callahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also if we could get a number indicator for how many notifications/PMs we have, that would be helpful.

Nia Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dark theme. This white theme is killing my eyes!

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus. I'm sure the staff are aware of our dark colour scheme request by now. Stop acting like a bunch of whiney children screaming in a supermarket because daddy won't buy you candy!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14 JediXMan  Moderator

Also if we could get a number indicator for how many notifications/PMs we have, that would be helpful.

Agreed.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nia_wolf said:

Dark theme. This white theme is killing my eyes!

I almost went blind when I opened the site up with the light to my room turned off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dark theme and notifications count

Riddlersriddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 87

It gets pretty annoying when I click on my avatar and it doesn't go directly to my account's home as all the drop-downs are available from there anyway

Riddlersriddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 87

I like that the Wiki editing is much faster and efficient but the sidebar is a bit annoying and the whole clicking on each section on the page to edit is a bit tedious

DanMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DanMarshall

I guess the new set up is something i'll have to get used to but i really dont care for it especially since now when i click forums on the drop down it takes me to my profile stuff instead of the forum page. Why do updates tend to make things more complicated than they need to be?

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danmarshall: Can you post you're bug here? We have a dedicated forum thread for any bugs people find. We're are day two of a complete site overhaul, everything has basically been built from scratch again. Problems will occur. Give the engineers some time and things will get better.

Also, I've tried to recreate your bug and I haven't encountered it. It may have been fixed in the time between your original post and my response.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Nice, I like it.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jb681131

@wcarle: I have a few first feedbacks

• Why doest the topmenu and search field bring up a white screen over the page ? We can't see the content as we type a search for exemple ??
  • Why did you hide the search field behind a button ?
  • Why does the "favorit board" pages 2 or more still don't work ?
  • Why didn't you fixe the advance forum search page that never worked ?
  • Didn't the notifications use to tell you how many pending notification you had to see ? Now it's just a red dot.
  • Why is comicvine logo so close to the top ? Give it some space !
  • Issues in a story arc wiki still can't be ordered ?
  • Could you load more than 12 pictures in the "Previous Upload" on the insert image popup ? When I wan't to share an image I upload a long time ago it's a pain.
  • In the "New Comics" page, why only those 9 editors available in the filter ? for exemple there is no IDW !?
  • On you new "New Comics" page, in list view, you could show the short description of the comic in the blank space under each comics' title.
  • Comicvine is suppose to be the ultmate comics database, but for exemple there is no "Robin" (from Batman univers) because a page to informe all the versions of one character doesn't exist. So when you look for informations about Robin, you can't.

to be a bit positive

• I like that the menu is always visible
cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: I'm not a mod or a staff member, but I did help out on the beta. And I'd like to address each of your points.

1. I believe that the reason why the page is filled with a transparent white background is to help the user focus on what they're typing. The top menu is a bug with the site, and it's been brought up with the staff.
  2. Mainly to cut down on space, plus it suits the style of the new site.
  3. This is probably be a bug. If it's not already been mentioned can you post it here.
  4. The advanced search does work as far as I can tell. I'm not sure how it's not working in the way you believe it's not as I don't use it.
  5. I agree with you, the dot should contain a number or be changed to one at least.
  6. It should be moved down, but the logo is already hanging off the menu-bar as it is.
  7. Issue's can't be ordered, but if they issues have been named correctly, you can work it out based on the issue name. We should have the ability to order them, but it may be a mod feature if it was introduced.
  8. This works
  9. I'm confused by that, but we have over 6000 publishers, keeping it to the big 9 would make it easier for the general audience.
  10. We should have a description beneath the page such as publisher, release year and issue number for both issues and volumes.
  11. Robin is a concept as it's considered a title as multiple characters have taken the mantle.

It's a work in progress, but we're getting there.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy said:

@jb681131: I'm not a mod or a staff member, but I did help out on the beta. And I'd like to address each of your points.

1. I believe that the reason why the page is filled with a transparent white background is to help the user focus on what they're typing. The top menu is a bug with the site, and it's been brought up with the staff.
  2. Mainly to cut down on space, plus it suits the style of the new site.
  3. This is probably be a bug. If it's not already been mentioned can you post it here.
  4. The advanced search does work as far as I can tell. I'm not sure how it's not working in the way you believe it's not as I don't use it.
  5. I agree with you, the dot should contain a number or be changed to one at least.
  6. It should be moved down, but the logo is already hanging off the menu-bar as it is.
  7. Issue's can't be ordered, but if they issues have been named correctly, you can work it out based on the issue name. We should have the ability to order them, but it may be a mod feature if it was introduced.
  8. This works
  9. I'm confused by that, but we have over 6000 publishers, keeping it to the big 9 would make it easier for the general audience.
  10. We should have a description beneath the page such as publisher, release year and issue number for both issues and volumes.
  11. Robin is a concept as it's considered a title as multiple characters have taken the mantle.

It's a work in progress, but we're getting there.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Other bug that is still here:

On top of the page of an issue, you can see a few previous issues, and an few upcomming issues. But if you are looking at an issue torwards the end of a serie, you see much earlier issues in the top list. Why.

Here is an exemple: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/batman-shadow-of-the-bat-92-no-mans-land-stormy-we/4000-75587/

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The UI is not aligned as it should be on my iPhone 6. Small problem not a big deal but the website title is almost completely off the screen

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: I'm sadly very aware of this bug, It's plagued my existence as one of the top wiki editor's here. It's a point that I'll bring up in the bug reporting forum since you mentioned it as I forgot about it.

I've linked a thread that I made that documents the bug fixes/changes made to the site overall if anyone is iterested in the site progression as I'll be updated it with each bug fix release.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@childoftheatom: Can you screenshot your problem and post it here? It helps the engineers fix problems if they're all in one location.

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to character pages

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@macleen: Can I have an example. I have no idea what you mean, you're being incredibly vague. I can find characters by mousing over wiki and then clicking characters or using the search.

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy said:

@macleen: Can I have an example. I have no idea what you mean, you're being incredibly vague. I can find characters by mousing over wiki and then clicking characters or using the search.

Not sure how best to explain. The old site had an option in the forums I think that had popular character pages like Spider-man, Batman, Logan, Hulk, SM, Thor...

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy said:
No Caption Provided

@macleen: You mean the bit I circled?

Shit, I gotta go visit my optician then

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

echoing the sentiment of a dark theme please. The light theme is a bit jarring

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

1. Cannot see the number of notifications or unread messages
  2. Takes half an eternity to load notifications/messages on laptop. Old comicvine did it in seconds
  3. The top bar is too big now, takes a lot of space in small screens
  4. The top bar should be dark, like the old one.
  5. Supposed "new site better for wiki editing" in name of "largest comic wiki in universe" doesn't work if almost all wiki pages are outdated and poorly organized, or incomplete. The "appearances" column for each character, for example, is a true mess.
    And this site is active due to its debaters, who are mostly active on forum. Only a select few indulge in wiki editing, and even fewer supervise it
cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador:I'm neither a member of staff or a mod, but I worked on the new site beta and am quite a prominent wiki editor. I'd like to ask a few questions and clarify one.

1. This is a problem that the engineers are aware of and will probably be added when the major site bugs are fixed.
  2. I'm using a laptop at times to wiki adit and I rarely encounter any problems on the new site. What sort of laptop are you using?
  3. What resolution are you running as this shouldn't be an issue on most modern screens
  4. The top bar was made white to suit the rest of the site. When or IF, dark theme is brought in, I imagine the bar will be adjusted to the right colour.
  5. In what way would you describe the wiki pages as unorganized? We do our best to keep up to date on volume and issue appearances, but since we have almost one million comics on the site, it's extremely hard to keep every page up to date or filled based on what little information we have on a lot of them. How exactly are the appearances columns a mess? You are right about how many editors are on this site, that isn't something the staff can fix, we can bring in views and users, but we can't make them edit older comics, that's down to you, the users to contribute. As we're limited in terms of what we can do, although we are trying to work out ways of increasing user contributions.
mercblue30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello everyone,

I have used Comicvine to locate what issues my favorite superheroines are located in for years now. But, with the new layout, when I click on their appearances, all it shows me is the full run of that comicbook series. -instead of only her appearances like before- Is anyone else having this trouble or is it just me?

Thanks for your time!

Merc

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercblue30: This is a known bug that's a part of the new site. It will eventually get fixed as it's on the list of future bug fixes.

mercblue30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mercblue30

Ah, I see #41. Thanks for letting me know that this is a bug! ^^

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow i didnt think it had been that long since i was on this site. Still getting used to the new format and style

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when are we getting back the dark theme

IceHeart_30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers