the last good comic book movie

eiderglast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eiderglast

Everything has its end, either it ends on a good note or falters away clumsily.

Comic book movies are at its golden stage, where people who don't normally cue in a movie filled with characters clad in colorful outfits, would be lined up in theaters expecting good entertainment.

It's the era of grand escapism. Yet, like food on a table, you don't want turkey served every dinner. Sometimes meatloaf and lemonades is a pleasant change.

People will tire of the genre eventually. The same way we have not been too eager to see war flicks, love stories, and low brow comedy featuring an Everyman character that gets lucky in the end.

But here's hoping that before the producers or the audience grow tired of it, they get to finish the Infinity story arc at Marvel, and somebody aside from Zack Snyder gives Justice League a powerful story arc.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are dying out

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f
deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are already changing, Deadpool and Logan are the start of something new.

TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@callmeblast: -_-

logan isnt the start of anything new. Neither is deadpool. Logan is the last "unique/different" cbm film. Deadpool is cool... but nothing new. I dont see marvel following suit. Same for dc

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movies have always been about escapism to some degree. This is nothing new. Just as in the 80's you had a lot of fantasy type movies. Most entertainment is a way to forget about all the other shit going on in the world. This isn't exactly the first thread someone has made about the idea of the cbm genre eventually dying out. You just enjoy it as long as it lasts. At this rate we are 15+ years in and its going as strong as ever so I'm not too worried about its sudden demise. The non us market for them has also grown hugely in recent years which will keep the genre going.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

logan isnt the start of anything new. Neither is deadpool. Logan is the last "unique/different" cbm film. Deadpool is cool... but nothing new. I dont see marvel following suit. Same for dc

I can see Marvel or DC taking some aspects from Logan...well I hope they do. But i agree on neither of them taking anything from Deadpool, that movie was truly a breed of it's own lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f
deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelastdragonborn: They are the first Superhero films of their kind, and both are great films.

Name another movie with the serious tone of Logan, and I don't mean DCCU attempts because they are horrible.

TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheLastDragonborn

@callmeblast: None and thats what I am trying to say.

I highly doubt there will be more movies like it in the future. Its not the "start" of anything new. Its not a new trend that Disney/MCU/DCEU and even FOX will suddenly start to follow.

Also as good as it was, it only made around 600M box office. CBMS nowadays make movies for general audiences and family friendly movies.

Family friendly movies are still the way to go for CBMs and neither mcu or dceu will change it up apart from some outliers.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spambot

I don't see any reason to say Logan will be the last unique/different cbm. Its just a matter of having material and a character that suits making a cbm that is very different from what people are used to. I didn't even see Logan as being that different to be perfectly honest. It was just a solo Wolverine movie with more violence and bad language. I don't see it as reinventing the wheel or anything like that. Even Deadpool was different only because the character is a non traditional take on the super hero genre.

TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: I guess we will have to wait another decade or so for some actor to reach the end of his run.

Just look at the next few movies coming out...

Spiderman... That movie screams family friendly. Jokes, colorful, flashy action, and cool superheroes.

Wonder woman... Family-friendly? Check. Jokes? Check. Colorful? Check Action? Check. Is it new or unique? Perhaps, but it isnt straying away from a family friendly cbm. Lighthearted as well but might have

Thor ragnarok.... Family friendly, jokes, colorful, flashy action, etc, lighthearted tone, superhero ensemble,

JL.... Family friendly, jokes, maybe not so colorful, superhero ensemble, flashy action, etc

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everything has its end, either it ends on a good note or falters away clumsily.

Comic book movies are at its golden stage, where people who don't normally cue in a movie filled with characters clad in colorful outfits, would be lined up in theaters expecting good entertainment.

It's the era of grand escapism. Yet, like food on a table, you don't want turkey served every dinner. Sometimes meatloaf and lemonades is a pleasant change.

People will tire of the genre eventually. The same way we have not been too eager to see war flicks, love stories, and low brow comedy featuring an Everyman character that gets lucky in the end.

But here's hoping that before the producers or the audience grow tired of it, they get to finish the Infinity story arc at Marvel, and somebody aside from Zack Snyder gives Justice League a powerful story arc.

First of all you are confusing Comic Book Movies and Super-Hero Movies !

Then, not everything necessarely end ! Look at James Bond movies for exemple !

I wouldn't say "golden age" because the current quality is pretty abissal.

True people like change, but there aren't only Super-hereo films at the movies ! If you only go see the next DC/Marvel movies it's your choice and in my opinion you are going to see some of the worst things that come out these days !

Here is a few exemples of non-superhero movies so you know (not saying they are all good):

• V for Vendetta
  • R.E.D.
  • Sin City
  • Snowpiercer
  • Kick-Ass
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
  • Cowboys & Aliens
  • Kingsman

or the Upcomming:

• Valerian
  • Atomic Blond
  • Chew
  • I Kill Giants
Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No.

"Superhero fatigue" is a completely unsubstantiated theory, for one reason and one reason alone. Superhero isn't a genre the same way comedy or action is. As long as companies keep producing fun, interesting and high quality content the demand comic book films will continue to last. It's that simple.

To answer your question the last good movie was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 :P

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's cyclical.

"Comicbook" movies will always be a thing. It's the popularity that fluctuates. They'll be around for a while yet.