The Flash: 4 Things We Learned From Season 3, Episode 5 [SPOILERS]

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

This week's episode of The Flash offered a lot in the way of character development for secondary characters on the CW series. While Barry Allen adjusts to living with Cisco Ramon, Caitlin Snow goes to her mother for help with her new metahuman abilities. In addition, a giant monster is attacking Central City. Barry and the STAR Labs team have a lot on their plate this week.

Photo: Katie Yu/The CW

Last week, Caitlin used her icy powers to help get Barry out of a jam, but no one knows about her predicament.

Now, Caitlin is seeking help to understand what's going on with her, while the rest of the STAR Labs crew has no clue what's happening because their main focus is elsewhere. In addition, Barry tries to get on his partner's good side at the CCPD.

Caitlin is Becoming What She Fears

Caitlin realizes that she needs help with her metahuman abilities, so she goes to her mother, Dr. Carla Tannhauser, who is a biomedical researcher. After a few tests, one of Carla's employees, Nigel, traps Caitlin to try and get more answers about her powers in an attempt to further his own career. Caitlin uses his powers and freezes his arm to escape his clutches. Her mother sees this, Caitlin flees the scene. During the final moments of this week's episode, Caitlin receives a message from her mother saying her body chemistry is changing. The more she uses these powers, the harder it will become to reverse what's happening to her body. Caitlin gets upset and freezes her computer.

The Flash is setting up Caitlin's story exceptionally well, letting it grow and breathe between episodes. Caitlin becoming her Earth-2 counterpart, Killer Frost, is something comic fans have been waiting for. What's making this plotline work is the slower pace to the story, as we see sparks of anger and fear in each episode rather than a rush to her development and becoming a villain.

Julian and Barry Start to Work Together

New to the season is Julian Albert (Tom Felton). He's Barry's partner at the CCPD, and the two do not get along. However, they have to work together to solve the mystery of the disappearing monster in this episode. Both Flash and Barry separately saved Julian this week. During their partnership, Julian opens up about his past, revealing he comes from a wealthy family, but he was the odd duck of the family. He comes to the realization that both Flash and Barry are alright in his book.

The tension between the two characters has been immense up until this point. Now, we can see a bond growing between them, and the more cynical fans of the television series are just waiting for Barry to reveal his secrets to his partner. Regardless, this storyline was a great addition to the episode, and Tom Felton is doing a phenomenal job as this complex character.

Central City's Monster Problem

A giant monster is attacking Central City. It takes the efforts of the team at STAR Labs and Julian to figure out what is going on. Eventually, everyone figures out that the monster is actually a hologram, controlled by a teenager who wanted people to feel as scared and helpless as he does everyday.

While this feels completely like a throwaway story--because there was simply too much going on this week--there is potential for something greater here. A teenager put together a computer that can create giant holograms. He may be a criminal now, but he would be an excellent addition to the STAR Labs team. We anticipate the return of this genius, and hopefully, he'll be one of the good guys.

HR Wells Has Secrets On Top of Secrets

It's hard to trust any Harrison Wells when different versions of him turned out to have selfish intent. Each season, Wells is part of the villain's plan, one way or another. However, HR Wells seems cool and smart, so there's nothing wrong with him, right? Cisco and Barry find out that HR Wells isn't even a scientist. On his Earth, he comes up with the ideas and has someone else do all the dirty work. He's on Earth-1 because he wants to write a novel as redemption for all his past screw ups.

It's hard to believe this is the whole story for Wells this season, but we learn a lot about him, and it all seems genuine. There is only so many times the creative team behind this show can make Wells a completely untrustworthy character with ulterior motives. Here is to hoping HR Wells isn't a secret monster.

RavenKingXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By RavenKingXXX

The whole monster is controllled by teased child thing felt kind of weak, great for getting some more character out of Jillian, but still weak. Also I was kinda hoping that the entire reason hr came to this world was to get a coffee plant so he could have coffee in his world.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I liked the character development, with HR and Julian (both are awesome). But the rest was pretty weak so I rate this episode a "Meh episode" next weeks episode seems to be awesome.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dont want to see Killer Frost. I hope the Flash writers use this opportunity to prove that characters do not have to be evil just because they have powers. Why has this been the case with so many people in the city? Where are all the good normal people with powers?

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kalorama

Not one of the better episodes. It was obvious from the get go that the monster was a hologram, making all of Team Flash look kind of dense for not figuring it out sooner. The whole thing with "HR Wells" is just silly. If they wanted to keep Cavanaugh on the show, they should have come up with a good reason for E2 Wells to stick around. And it seems rather convenient (and stupid) that no one on team Flash bothered to ask HR about the identity of his secret "partner," an oversight that makes it a sure bet that the partner will end up playing some role later on. Caitlin getting powers was a bad idea in and of itself. Setting up an obvious trope like her battling her "evil nature" as a result of the powers is even worse. If Julian doesn't (A) turn out to be Dr. Alchemy or (B) get set up to make us believe he is to serve as a red herring (possibly as a beard for HR's mysterious "partner"), I'll be stunned beyond belief. The whole setup is so telegraphed.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode wasn't as bad, pretty average I guess. I wasn't all that invested here. Although some Flash episodes really piss me off.

Caitlin and Julian showing some character development was nice. I think Joe needs to just go dating again already, since that's all he has going on.

I think HR Wells was wayy better than E2 Wells, but having him here on another earth still doesn't make sense.

If they wanted to keep Cavanaugh on the show, they should have come up with a good reason

^Exactly. Which they fail to do.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Cisco and Barry as roommates is an interesting direction.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By JewishDork

I love seeing Tom play different takes on the same character, much in the same way Brett did on Agents of Shield. I rather not have Caitlyn go evil but that seems like the path the writers have her on. I wish they would show Cisco using his Vibe powers more.

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to admit it,this was a lame episode.Made me feel like I was watching a kids cartoon show with that monster and all.I fear the show is going from bad to worst.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the teen isn't a villain from the comic?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So two filler episodes then a break?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why doesn't Caitlin just tell team Flash?!

Just tell them you have powers dammit

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

After the way Barry and Cisco acted towards her following their encounter with E2 Killer Frost (and her own meeting with KF), I can understand Caitlin's desire to keep them under wraps from the rest of team Flash.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalorama said:
@eto said:

After the way Barry and Cisco acted towards her following their encounter with E2 Killer Frost (and her own meeting with KF), I can understand Caitlin's desire to keep them under wraps from the rest of team Flash.

Well and after that she scared the hell out of Cisco pretending to be Killer Frost, lol.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

It's funny, I've been really let down by the story and plot of Flash since the last season finale but I'm loving the performances. Especially Tom Cavanagh who is doing a great job with the different Wells'. Plus he was born in the same city as me! Amazing!

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is the second best DC show out right, the first being Legends of Tomorrow but comicvine never does updates about it.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Annoys me that the writer of this show do not know how to write without Harrison Wells

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers