Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Heatforce

Oh boy

The juicy parts:

No Caption Provided

Edit: i think this article should be noted too. Apparently JC was a bit of a spoiled kid. Not sure if that is relevant today but wanted the information out there. Stan did deny the claim of abuse from his daughter and it was his manager that was ultimately arrested for abuse.

In other words she may have ulterior motives or she may not. It was a very convenient time for TMZ to track her down and ask her about this issue but also she never went public before. Not sure what looks better to the court of public opinion.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Mrnoital

I thought it was weird they only put a "thanks Stan" for captain marvel and not every movie they made this year

Stan didn't make Carol, but he made a ton of people from endgame, and wasn't even mentioned there

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: understood. A bit off topic but this is like the 3rd high-ish profile person I've seen go scorched earth on someone/ some entity within the past couple days. The frogs man, the damn frogs ?

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just confused how Disney didn't show any decency to Stan.

I thought they were pretty respectful.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably why Im not really that fond of MCU films for some intuitive reason.

I somehow feel something like this was happening in the background.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Wow, Disney/Marvel is a soulless corporation. I'm shocked. Well, Marvel wasn't always, but, under the Dinsey banner, they're the same now.

2. Isn't it sort of ironic?? Didn't Stan Lee come up with the concept of not crediting individual creators with their contributions and just having creations and characters homogenized as just being "Marvel's"??

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. Isn't it sort of ironic?? Didn't Stan Lee come up with the concept of not crediting individual creators with their contributions and just having creations and characters homogenized as just being "Marvel's"??

Did he? This one needs a fact check, but for that we need quality geek journalism, which is simply nonexistent.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mike_Fowler

Huh, ain’t that rich

Honestly sounds like she’s been wanting something (I.e. money) ever since her father passed. Not expecting anybody to actually read that second article you linked in your edit though. They’ll probably conveniently ignore what his daughter has done/the things she was tied to, all to say “oh muh evil corporations”

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney sucks balls.

adamantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that's true shame on Disney.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By stormshadow_x

Disney is smart. How are they letting all this fall around them they must be confident their fans will out weigh any bad press though I'll be honest while I do think it's their fault they lost spider man I find a harder time believing this so I rather just stay neutral on this

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tbh I’m not surprised to hear this treatment of Stan by either company. Not to say he didn’t have good friends still within MARVEL that cared about him, but SONY and MARVEL/Disney as corporations, they didn’t give a sh!t about him or his daughter

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People seem to be eager to forget about what Sony did to Ghostbusters, Amazing Spiderman, and to my legacy

Sony is just there to make money like Disney. Let the soulless Cooperates fight! Let them fight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

I thought it was weird they only put a "thanks Stan" for captain marvel and not every movie they made this year

Stan didn't make Carol, but he made a ton of people from endgame, and wasn't even mentioned there

Probably the Captain Marvel directors did that while Russo and Spiderman Director did not feel like paying homage to him. Their loss

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
Supermanfan1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Supermanfan1938

@richubs: disney is notoriously greedy dont let mcu bias make you think otherwise

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
Supermanfan1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanfan1938:

I know they're greedy. I'm just confused as to how they disrespted Stan Lee.

No other franchise really gives cameos to the writers like MCU does and he never spoke of being unhappy with the MCU.

I guess something happened behind the scenes but if someone finds more details I just wanna know what went down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobymaguire: what legacy?

You forgot how they screwed me with Spiderman 3. From one of the best superhero movies to Spiderman 3. This is my legacy now.

No Caption Provided

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: disney is notoriously greedy dont let mcu bias make you think otherwise

too late, there's people that just can't see how douchy those *&&^%$ are

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@richubs said:

@supermanfan1938:

I know they're greedy. I'm just confused as to how they disrespted Stan Lee.

No other franchise really gives cameos to the writers like MCU does and he never spoke of being unhappy with the MCU.

I guess something happened behind the scenes but if someone finds more details I just wanna know what went down.

MCU didn't start that, he was making cameos in fantastic four, daredevil, and spiderman years before the MCU started

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stan wasn't paid for any of the MCU movies apparantly. He was doing those cameos for free.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: really? That's pretty awesome of Stan.

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobymaguire: Because Disney is the bigger dog in this fight which means everyone jumps to protect the little guy, even if the little guy right now is Sony.

As far as not getting recognised, we got that with Captain Marvel's credits. It was respectful. How many more times does it need to be done in the movies until enough is enough?

As for the OP, I don't know enough of the details to say one way or the other what's happened. Stan is one of Marvel's "Walt Disney" and if any company should have respected Stan's death and tried to do something for the family, it should have been Disney, let along Marvel themselves.

On the other hand, I don't know how involved the higher ups for either company saw Stan nor Stan's link to the industry besides being a legacy man and getting his cameos. And how connected was Stan's on-going links to Marvel was his daughter?

In a perfect world one or both companies would have reached out to the family when Stan died. But if everyone high up just saw Stan as a legacy persona then who makes that call could have very easily been a "I thought you did it," "I though you did it," "I though she did it," situation. Or just a "we don't care" if you want to think the worst of everyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebridebeatrixkiddo: They are gonna make make R rated movies under 20 the century Banner. Also Pulp Fiction was made by Miramax when it was owned by Disney. Die Hard 4 was PG 13 already

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: No. If anything, it was Stan who popularized the concept of putting the names of writer, artist, inker and letterer at the start of every comic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol what... Stan gets non stop praise and love all the time everywhere it’s the other guys like Ditko etc from that time that barely get a mention.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Did he? This one needs a fact check, but for that we need quality geek journalism, which is simply nonexistent.

I'm pretty sure he did.

The original definition of the "Marvel Method" was credit not being given to where it's due and instead being just given to Marvel, Mr Liebowitz has made sure the definition has changed over the years though to mean something else. Kirby and several other creators wound up in court over it.

PhantomRant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PhantomRant

I don't want to smear Stan Lee's family, but I don't think it should be easily forgotten that it was heavily rumored that this same daughter was involved in abusing her father for money back in the elder abuse scandal a year or two ago. I think this should at least be considered when thinking about the reliability of the source and possible motive. She might not be completely different from the greedy companies that she's hitting on.

Also, she is wrong. Immediately after news of Stan Lee's death broke out, there was an outpouring of virtually every Marvel star who expressed their condolences even Kevin Feige. The first MCU film that came out after Stan Lee's death featured a 30-second tribute to Stan Lee at the very beginning of the movie followed by a thank you to Stan Lee. Avengers Endgame re-release featured a Stan Lee tribute from what I heard. Oh yeah and he's also got cameos.

There are literally two videos on YT where one dedicates to Stan Lee and the other is the avengers endgame cast talking about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea4Tq7HB7kU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdQ6OV-rkU

Disney is shit, but the idea that Marvel Studios personally treated Stan Lee like shit is the farthest divorce from reality. Stan Lee loves marvel studios, and marvel studios loves stan lee.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I had no idea Stan's home life had so much drama going on, I feel pretty bad for him learning that honestly. Based on what I've read I'm extremely hesitant to believe her.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phantomrant:

A simple google search will tell you that those rumors were false

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:
@cattlebattle said:

No he's right. Stan would always say "he considers" Steve Ditko the co-creator of spider-man but he never outright said Steve was the co-creator of spider-man. When he was pushed on the subject in the belwo interview he said "I am willing to say so" and than when Jonathon Ross said "so its a no", Stan said "the guy who dreams it is the creator".

Loading Video...

Stan was very specific with his wording. I definitely get a sense here Stan is doing a legal tap dance. And I also have to say I don't think its a coincidence Jack Kirby felt the same way and he is the other big name Stan worked with. I think eventually he acknowledged it years later but I don't know for sure (His twitter calls him the "co-creator" of spider-man but not sure if that is an acknowledgement Ditko is the other co-creator).

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to smear Stan Lee's family, but I don't think it should be easily forgotten that it was heavily rumored that this same daughter was involved in abusing her father for money back in the elder abuse scandal a year or two ago. I think this should at least be considered when thinking about the reliability of the source and possible motive. She might not be completely different from the greedy companies that she's hitting on.

Stan Lee denounced those rumors.

Loading Video...

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know its something something that happens regularly but they arent obligated to speak to her

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator

Sony is objectively in the right from the information I’ve seen, however I disagree with the parts the daughter said about everything that wasn’t personal that I wouldn’t know about (reaching out to her) but then my opinion of her character soured when I read that second article.

Having a trust fund set up because she can’t support herself due to overspending? That’s something you’d expect from like, the teenager or young adult of a wealthy person, not a 67 year old woman. That’s just laughable, I get being spoilt has lasting effects but usually people get out of that habit and mind-set when they reach their thirties.

When they have a disagreement, Lee said she “typically yells and screams at me and cries hysterically if I do not capitulate." That’s...pathetic, something a toddler would do. Damn she’s got issues.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis

I couldn't believe it when I found out that Starlin made more money from KGBeast than he did from Thanos and other MC creations of his.

Still this woman isn't exactly a saint though. Disney is a corporation, her behaviour has no excuse.

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@adamtrmm said:
@cattlebattle said:

No he's right. Stan would always say "he considers" Steve Ditko the co-creator of spider-man but he never outright said Steve was the co-creator of spider-man. When he was pushed on the subject in the belwo interview he said "I am willing to say so" and than when Jonathon Ross said "so its a no", Stan said "the guy who dreams it is the creator".

Loading Video...

Stan was very specific with his wording. I definitely get a sense here Stan is doing a legal tap dance. And I also have to say I don't think its a coincidence Jack Kirby felt the same way and he is the other big name Stan worked with. I think eventually he acknowledged it years later but I don't know for sure (His twitter calls him the "co-creator" of spider-man but not sure if that is an acknowledgement Ditko is the other co-creator).

That's the inbuilt issue with the concept of the "Marvel" method and as a creator myself, I can see it from both sides.

The origins of Marvel's Silver-Age characters boils down to this:

Writer - So I've got this great idea for a character. *explains his idea*

Artist - I like/love that/find it interesting. Here's my interpretation of what you told me.

The result - A character both people claim "they" created.

How much does the original pitch weigh on concept creation all depends on how detailed the original pitch was. If the idea for Spider-Man was just a man with spider-like powers and the artist came up with the finished product that everyone recognises years later as the definitive/original version of Spider-Man then the writer inspired the artist who then created the character. If the writer goes through a number of edits and redraws because the writer keeps saying "no, no, that's not what I imagined" then the creatorship skews far more towards the writer.

From what I understand about the situations for Silver Age Marvel, it was very much a grey ara of the last part with heavy mixes of the artist just doing whatever they wanted and the writer having to adjust. The story is that Stan wanted Spider-Man to be the slender kid who looked like a breeze could knock him off rather than the typical superhero of the day and in that case, most of the initial concept idea is coming from Stan.

Ditko was apparently infamous for going "off script" and drawing things that hadn't been talked about in the planning stage. Stan wasn't a saint, obviously, and changed the meaning of scenes using the words that went away from "artist's intent."

The "Marvel Method" can be great for the artistic development of stories if used well but it needs a major oversight to be aware of when new characters are introduced. As soon as a new character gets brought in, editorial needs to sit down and legit work out from notes and conversations who came up with the majority of the idea and split the creator credit/royalties that way. And the people making those decisions must be 100% impartial. Silver Age Marvel and their legendary craftsmen were filled with egos and people set in their ways who wouldn't budge on anything.

I will also finish that Stan could probably never outright say Ditko was the creator/co-creator of Spider-Man anywhere that could be used against him legally. Ditko was a man who didn't believe in compromise and if he could legally prove Stan says he had a hand in creating Spider-Man, would have immediately looked to gain total control of the character.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@adamtrmm said:
@cattlebattle said:

Loading Video...

That's the inbuilt issue with the concept of the "Marvel" method and as a creator myself, I can see it from both sides.

The origins of Marvel's Silver-Age characters boils down to this:

Writer - So I've got this great idea for a character. *explains his idea*

Artist - I like/love that/find it interesting. Here's my interpretation of what you told me.

The result - A character both people claim "they" created.

How much does the original pitch weigh on concept creation all depends on how detailed the original pitch was. If the idea for Spider-Man was just a man with spider-like powers and the artist came up with the finished product that everyone recognises years later as the definitive/original version of Spider-Man then the writer inspired the artist who then created the character. If the writer goes through a number of edits and redraws because the writer keeps saying "no, no, that's not what I imagined" then the creatorship skews far more towards the writer.

From what I understand about the situations for Silver Age Marvel, it was very much a grey ara of the last part with heavy mixes of the artist just doing whatever they wanted and the writer having to adjust. The story is that Stan wanted Spider-Man to be the slender kid who looked like a breeze could knock him off rather than the typical superhero of the day and in that case, most of the initial concept idea is coming from Stan.

Ditko was apparently infamous for going "off script" and drawing things that hadn't been talked about in the planning stage. Stan wasn't a saint, obviously, and changed the meaning of scenes using the words that went away from "artist's intent."

The "Marvel Method" can be great for the artistic development of stories if used well but it needs a major oversight to be aware of when new characters are introduced. As soon as a new character gets brought in, editorial needs to sit down and legit work out from notes and conversations who came up with the majority of the idea and split the creator credit/royalties that way. And the people making those decisions must be 100% impartial. Silver Age Marvel and their legendary craftsmen were filled with egos and people set in their ways who wouldn't budge on anything.

I will also finish that Stan could probably never outright say Ditko was the creator/co-creator of Spider-Man anywhere that could be used against him legally. Ditko was a man who didn't believe in compromise and if he could legally prove Stan says he had a hand in creating Spider-Man, would have immediately looked to gain total control of the character.

But what difference does it make if the IPs themselves simply belong to Marvel the company. I thought big 2 simply absorb all the ideas and rights for the properties that are published under their umbrella over any individual creator so that creator credit is practically just a nominal act.

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Work for hire vs Ip control/finances.

Comics are an artform, a creative medium, a beautiful but complex place which is the coming together of the written word and visual creation. The issue is that creators of all kinds want recognition for their work as well as have an emotional connection to their work. These are "their babies."

A Work for Hire practice means that the company has total say over a creator's work. That they can literally do anything and everything to the creation even if it goes against the creator's desires. Some people absolutely hate this - Ditko and Howard the Duck creator Steve Gerber being prime examples. Novel writers can be the same with some refusing to allow their works to be "mutalated" by fanfiction. A way of balancing the scales is royalties where the company gets the control but the creator still has financial gains no matter what happens to the creation.

A work for hire contract without any residual income from the creator's work is a horrible situation for any creator to be in. Actors used to be in this spot where they were paid a flat fee for their roles and that was it, they never saw anything the studios made off their work even if the movie/show became one of the greatest ever. This type of practice locks the creators/artists into a perpetual state of always needing to find more work and never being able to get financial success off their properties.

L.J.Smith was on a work for hire contract when she created the Vampire Diaries mythology. The publishing house owned the original series. She got a flat fee and that's it. Not only did she get kicked off the novel series but she would have no financial gains made off the Vampire Diaries TV series.

No one likes being a creator who comes up with ideas a company uses to make millions/billions but they're sitting in a dark flat because they're trying to balance the books to make sure all the bills are paid.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: @buttersdaman000: Stan also said that he was “best friends” with his manager, the one that got arrested earlier this year for elder abuse towards him, and the guy that’s recording that video.

Really don’t think it’s as easily debunkable as y’all are making it out to be.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Good

TheArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike_fowler: Who was proven guilty? The daughter or his manager?