Posted by saint_samantha (1285 posts) 2 years, 11 months ago

Poll: The Dark Knight vs. Watchmen (62 votes)

Watchmen 18%
The Dark Knight 79%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Which do you prefer? Which is the better movie?

#1 Posted by Mr0Mister (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily the Dark Knight. One of the best movies of the 2000s, and not just out of CBMs.

#2 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily the Dark Knight. One of the best movies of the 2000s, and not just out of CBMs.

#3 Posted by JTMac005 (950 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark knight hands down

#4 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

Two gems ;)

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#5 Edited by Ready_4_Madness (15392 posts) - - Show Bio

I low Watchmen but The Dark Knight has no competition between it's CBM peers.

#6 Posted by SaintWildcard (21711 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen.

#7 Edited by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#8 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#9 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is a much better movie, but I enjoyed Watchmen more.

#10 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys ever watched the Ultimate Cut I have it but haven't watched it yet lol.

#11 Posted by GeorgeWBush (11581 posts) - - Show Bio

I literally don't remember much of the plot from the Watchmen other than Rorschach's monologues, the fight scenes, and Ozy destroying the Watchmen. It was a good film but the writing and Ledger's performance as the Joker puts it above Watchmen imo

#12 Posted by SaintWildcard (21711 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard said:

Watchmen.

Why?

Well... I think for starters I hadn't read the comic when I saw it, so the twist at the end blew me away. I liked the themes and the storylines more than TDK. Baleman in the movie didn't do much for me and the enitre story really hinged on Ledger IMO. And while he was great, the hero just wasn't up to his level and it was really noticeable. Even Bale admitted this himself

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#13 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys ever watched the Ultimate Cut I have it but haven't watched it yet lol.

Really long.

#14 Posted by from_beyond (863 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by Mr0Mister (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@never_give_up said:
@saintwildcard said:

Watchmen.

Why?

Well... I think for starters I hadn't read the comic when I saw it, so the twist at the end blew me away. I liked the themes and the storylines more than TDK. Baleman in the movie didn't do much for me and the enitre story really hinged on Ledger IMO. And while he was great, the hero just wasn't up to his level and it was really noticeable. Even Bale admitted this himself

No hero can be on the level of Ledger's performance.

And Watchmen didn't take any risks, it was the exact same story as the comics. Still a great movie, but Nolan at least tried something else in his Batman movies.

#16 Posted by ganon15 (7075 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr0mister said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#17 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

#18 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by SaintWildcard (21711 posts) - - Show Bio

And Watchmen didn't take any risks, it was the exact same story as the comics. Still a great movie, but Nolan at least tried something else in his Batman movies.

K... .and if were to compare the story of TDK and the story of the Watchmen (as it was in the movie), it would be the better story. WHich is where I stand... because I hadn't read the comic when the movie came out.

#20 Posted by Mr0Mister (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr0mister said:

K... .and if were to compare the story of TDK and the story of the Watchmen (as it was in the movie), it would be the better story. WHich is where I stand... because I hadn't read the comic when the movie came out.

Well you're entitled to your opinion.

But TDK was a much more exciting story, it left you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

#21 Posted by SaintWildcard (21711 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard said:
@mr0mister said:

But TDK was a much more exciting story, it left you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

Eh, not really. It was a straight up terrorist attack with some crime world plot lines. Joker's performance was really the only thing that stood up above it and I still think it was because he died and people doubted him when they cast him so they had uber low expectations.

#22 Posted by TheGrayGhost (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard said:
@never_give_up said:
@saintwildcard said:

Watchmen.

Why?

Umm...no?

Anyway TDK was the slightly better film because of Ledger . Both are great movies

#23 Posted by saint_samantha (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr0mister said:
@saintwildcard said:
@mr0mister said:

Eh, not really. It was a straight up terrorist attack with some crime world plot lines. Joker's performance was really the only thing that stood up above it and I still think it was because he died and people doubted him when they cast him so they had uber low expectations.

No way. The Dark Knight had a great story. Thrilling, suspenseful, and bold. Another reason the story works so well is that you can feel the presence and weight of the characters even when they're off screen.

And no way to that either. These low expectations existed in 2007-2008. It's 2016 now. Don't you think the novelty of Ledger defying expectations, as well as his death, would've worn off by now? No, people are still praising Ledger.

#24 Posted by SaintWildcard (21711 posts) - - Show Bio

No way. The Dark Knight had a great story. Thrilling, suspenseful, and bold. Another reason the story works so well is that you can feel the presence and weight of the characters even when they're off screen.

And no way to that either. These low expectations existed in 2007-2008. It's 2016 now. Don't you think the novelty of Ledger defying expectations, as well as his death, would've worn off by now? No, people are still praising Ledger.

Literally, peoples complaints are that the movie didn't do anything different than the comic. But how is that a bad thing towards my argument? Were talking about the better story, and I think most people would agree that the story of Watchmen is much better and more influential to the hero genre than TDK. Watchmen was an epic story with different takes on popular archtypes and a political thriller with Superheroes that affected the world as a whole. TDK barely affected Gotham.

I'm not saying he wasn't good (the dude won an oscar, albiet under possible pity having something to do with it). I'm just saying it was hyped to incredible levels because of lowered expectations and his death made it all the more memorable. But.... still a good performance. Peformance wise, Ledger nailed it, storywise Ozy is my boy.

#25 Posted by saint_samantha (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_samantha said:

Literally, peoples complaints are that the movie didn't do anything different than the comic. But how is that a bad thing towards my argument? Were talking about the better story, and I think most people would agree that the story of Watchmen is much better and more influential to the hero genre than TDK. Watchmen was an epic story with different takes on popular archtypes and a political thriller with Superheroes that affected the world as a whole. TDK barely affected Gotham.

I'm not saying he wasn't good (the dude won an oscar, albiet under possible pity having something to do with it). I'm just saying it was hyped to incredible levels because of lowered expectations and his death made it all the more memorable. But.... still a good performance. Peformance wise, Ledger nailed it, storywise Ozy is my boy.

I think it's stupid to fault Watchmen for not being different from the comic. It's an adaptation of an already beloved comic (of which I have yet to read. It should arrive in the mail this week). I was addressing your claims about The Dark Knight being a non-exciting story. I'm still enthralled by that movie today.

I find it still to be a phenomenal performance:

Loading Video...

I do think his death helped strengthen the performance, though. Not for the reasons I think you stated, but The Joker being the last that he did makes it more mysterious and a more powerful performance. Imagine if Ledger is showing up at interviews after that performance and walking around as a family man. I'm not saying I find catharsis from his passing, I'm sure he would've been an amazing actor and it's sad to see him go, but it really helped add weight to his performance.

Ozymandias is a great character too.

#26 Posted by Usha (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight for sure.

Watchmen had stunning visuals, but to me it kind of dragged out a bit. Also I didn't like the costumes, it looked stiff and cosplay-ee. The twist however was really good.

Other than that, The Dark Knight conquers.

#27 Posted by AkshSarpanch (3569 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker performance solos.

#28 Posted by Mr0Mister (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr0mister said:

Umm...no?

Anyway TDK was the slightly better film because of Ledger . Both are great movies

How was the story different?

#29 Posted by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were really great but TDK has the advantage as one of the best movies ever its so good that it exists outside of the comic book movie category.

#30 Posted by TheGrayGhost (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr0mister: Well umm....have you read the comic ? Because the movie's ending is completely different (and arguably better because of it )

#31 Posted by Mr0Mister (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr0mister: Well umm....have you read the comic ? Because the movie's ending is completely different (and arguably better because of it )

I have read the comics.

And I did enjoy the twist at the end, but I still feel that they played it too safe. Apart from that there wasn't any big difference.

#32 Posted by TDK_1997 (18634 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight because it is a great movie overall and not just a great CBM. While, Watchmen is a great movie but only when you watch it as a CBM and nothing more.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#33 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9006 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight was a great film. Watchmen was mediocre. The poll is all you need to know.

#34 Posted by ashokkumar95 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are pretty much equal, I think I would give an edge to the dark knight as the best DC movie.

#35 Posted by lubub55 (12877 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely The Dark Knight, but Watchmen is still the second greatest comic book movie of all time.

#36 Posted by adamTRMM (8989 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen for me. Unprecedented CBM.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#37 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (3818 posts) - - Show Bio

As movies go, this isn't much of a contest. Now, which was a better comic storyline? That'd be one close vote.

#38 Posted by mrmonster (14675 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight, but Watchmen is also great. I'd put Watchmen as my third favorite superhero movie of all time, behind only The Dark Knight and Logan.

Avatar image for youshallnotpass
#39 Posted by YouShallNotPass (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually tough. Both of them are clear masterpieces.

#40 Posted by SocaJunkie (8359 posts) - - Show Bio

Script quality is about the same, directorial style is personal preference and they both fit the narrative being told. Action is preference too but Watchmen clearly takes this for aesthetics alone. Camera work goes to TDK with the difficulty of some of the shots they had to make and some of the tracking shots were sublime. For acting the only special performance from TDK came from Ledger and Eckhart, no other actor stepped it up from what they usually put out. In Watchmen most of the main cast was great, post-production editing goes to TDK.

#41 Posted by MsSelene (518 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#42 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

DK. It's my second favourite CBM behind DKR.

#43 Posted by lubub55 (12877 posts) - - Show Bio

This is very close though.

#44 Posted by DrPepperMan (6288 posts) - - Show Bio

Heath ledger pimpslaps the verse thanos style into the MCU, DCEU, Arrow verse, and Smallville.

#45 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18165 posts) - - Show Bio