The Dark Knight(2008) or The Avengers(2012)?

• 60 results
Posted by ganon15 (7258 posts) 2 years, 6 months ago

Poll: The Dark Knight(2008) or The Avengers(2012)? (113 votes)

The Dark Knight 69%
The Avengers 31%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by WastelandMan (8825 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK

#2 Posted by ridd (1019 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK

#3 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

#4 Posted by The-Seeffiss17 (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK

#5 Posted by RBT (29455 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK. And its not even close.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#6 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11762 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

TDK. And its not even close.

#7 Posted by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is an objectively superior film.

#8 Posted by Chris-Sama (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna be that guy and say the avengers.

I'm sorry heath was excellent but I was fanboying so hard seeing the avengers come together on screen for the first time. My honest opinion

#9 Posted by CaptainSalt (816 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry heath was excellent but I was fanboying so hard seeing the avengers come together on screen for the first time. My honest opinion

Avengers easy.

#10 Posted by comic_fan123 (1056 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

Given that there doesn't seem to be any specific reasoning to go on with this poll I'm going with The Avengers to this day there still hasn't been any film that has been able to recapture the magic of seeing all these characters on screen come together with years of build up. Not to mention it's the most comic book movie (in a good way) out of both films. Avengers embraced the medium Dark Knight did it's best to rewrite it. So while I really enjoy the Dark Knight, Avengers is the quintessential comic book movie.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#12 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17576 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers is too generic.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#13 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17902 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we get some quality discussion in here instead of just saying "TDK"?

@slayz said:

The Dark Knight is an objectively superior film.

I think this is a good response. The Dark Knight is objectively superior, but an argument can be made for Avengers being the more entertaining, quintessential comic book movie.

#14 Posted by mrmonster (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

They're both great, but come on, nothing compares to the Dark Knight. It's a very psychological, very well written movie.

#15 Edited by BlueHope (2681 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK easy.

#16 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11762 posts) - - Show Bio

I love when people use the word "objective" when talking about movie quality, lol.

Talk about paradoxical.

#18 Edited by teefurtree (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is an actually very good film, compared to films from all genres - it's generally regarded as Oscar-worthy material. The Avengers is very good for a comic book movie, although I think a lot of its positive reception was resultant of the pure thrill of seeing the characters together on screen for the first time.

#19 Posted by lubub55 (12988 posts) - - Show Bio

How is this even a question?

#20 Edited by Revive (534 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

Joss Whedon is terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#21 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight. The Avengers has aged horribly.

Avatar image for xzenix-everdeen
#22 Posted by Xzenix-Everdeen (3772 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't get what people mean when they say The Avengers didn't age well.

#23 Posted by The_Kidd (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK.

I still don't get what people mean when they say The Avengers didn't age well.

Agreed. The Avengers is still considered to be one the best MCU offering plus it is only 5 years old.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#24 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17902 posts) - - Show Bio

I love when people use the word "objective" when talking about movie quality, lol.

Talk about paradoxical.

Opinion on art can be influenced by bias, but there are objective standards to judge a movie by too.

For example, Batman and Robin is NOT better than The Dark Knight. This is inarguable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
#25 Posted by deactivated-5caa8c47e8598 (1686 posts) - - Show Bio

Tie

But probably TDK.

#26 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight

The Avengers wasn't that good. Not even in my top 5 MCU movies.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
#27 Posted by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK. I was never into the Avengers.

#28 Posted by Stefano (2577 posts) - - Show Bio

love both of them

#29 Posted by modernww2fare (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

The Dark Knight. The Avengers has aged horribly.

What do you mean?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#30 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: TDK is still enjoyable for me. The Avengers has lost its magic.

#31 Posted by Mutant1230 (6884 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I do argue with Christopher Nolan fanboys on this website, The Dark Knight is a far superior movie.

#32 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11762 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:

Talk about paradoxical.

Opinion on art can be influenced by bias, but there are objective standards to judge a movie by too.

For example, Batman and Robin is NOT better than The Dark Knight. This is inarguable.

It all depends on what you're judging in a film.

For example, someone might prefer goofiness and lighthearted films and may loaf superhero films who take themselves so seriously. In that respect, they may like Batman and Robin better.

#33 Posted by Zwm210 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Avengers when it came out, but after revisiting it it really doesn't hold up. It's filmed like a TV movie and the costuming is kinda crappy (For Captain America especially). Plus it has the whole cliche of the blue light in the sky and a bunch of expendable soldiers (Chitauri). Dark Knight is just one of the greatest crime movies of all time, not just one of the best comic book movies of all time. The cinematography is phenomenal, the acting is far better, (Ledger won an Academy Award), and the movie has real stakes, as opposed to where we all know the avengers are going to stop Loki. I think there's an argument to be made that both movies set bad precedents for the genre (Dark and gritty vs. blue lights in the sky), but I still think The Dark Knight is better

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#34 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers. Don't get me wrong, TDK is a awesome film but when it comes to entertainment, The Avengers gives it to me in spades. TDK is great but it can feel like a chore to watch. Plus, and I know this is heresy, Ledger is really the only reason I enjoyed TDK in the first place. It's my second favourite incarnation of The Joker but the other characters were largely overshadowed by him, even Bale's Batman. In fact, If I had to choose on the spot, I think Batman Begins is my favourite of the trilogy.

#35 Posted by mindleech (742 posts) - - Show Bio

They are both overrated imo.

I will never watch them again, that's for sure.

Avengers was too goofy and TDK was ... well I really didn't have any feelings after finishing that movie.It was just meh.(f**k that H.Ledger wank really.)

Nolan can either amaze me , or leave me emotionless/cold.

#36 Edited by ArranVid (2800 posts) - - Show Bio

A little bit of a tricky decision to make since Avengers has a bunch of superheroes whereas DK basically has 1 superhero but I'd still go with Dark Knight. The Avengers did look too colourful and cheesy.

#37 Posted by NetherlandMan (395 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

#38 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13133 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK

#39 Posted by Black_Arrow (10291 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers was good with the hype and because of that It's just good for the first view (after that it's just passable). It's not a movie like TDKR where I can watch it over and over again and keep being amazed by it.

#41 Posted by bflynn316 (2667 posts) - - Show Bio

Given that there doesn't seem to be any specific reasoning to go on with this poll I'm going with The Avengers to this day there still hasn't been any film that has been able to recapture the magic of seeing all these characters on screen come together with years of build up. Not to mention it's the most comic book movie (in a good way) out of both films. Avengers embraced the medium Dark Knight did it's best to rewrite it. So while I really enjoy the Dark Knight, Avengers is the quintessential comic book movie.

What these guys said. Avengers was just so cool when it came out, nobody had ever seen a series of films come together like that in such a massive shared universe. I can still remember what it felt like sitting in the movie theater watching it.

#42 Posted by tj849 (8569 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight 9.0 on imdb just pipe down anyone who says the Avengers is superior.

#43 Posted by TJD2814 (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers easily-I'm sorry while ledger made a good villain he wasn't the joker it was trash No offense to anyone just my opinion

#44 Posted by Kevd4wg (12818 posts) - - Show Bio

Objectively TDK and on re-watches TDK but I have never had a theater experience as amazing as my Avengers experience.

#45 Posted by Richard96 (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan annihilates

#46 Posted by Laxbro60 (97 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK was better quality wise but The Avengers had more of an impact on the genre of Superhero Movies.

so i guess TDK but The Avengers still deserves recognition

#47 Posted by Thedarkpaladin (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight, easily.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
#48 Posted by deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

avengers because it actually felt like a comic book movie

#49 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18726 posts) - - Show Bio

#50 Edited by LordOfTheLight (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really like or over hype the Avengers. In my opinion, the only good movies to come out of the MCU are IM 1 and 3, and Winter Soldier. Avengers and Thor 2 were okay. Rest all were pure trash.

In contrast, the Nolan trilogy is regarded as among the greatest movies in film itself. TDK, and it's not even a competition.