• 75 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

We all know the internet can be a pretty ugly and negative place. With so many people having no issue spewing their hate, I often try to focus on talking about the things I love. I'd much rather support what I enjoy than tear down something I'm not a fan of. However, the CW's handling of promos for The Flash and Arrow has been bothering me for several months now and I just have to talk about it. Yes, this article includes SPOILERS for the latest episodes of the two comic book shows.

No Caption Provided

The point of a promo is to tease an upcoming episode, not spoil big moments and drop reveals. It doesn't matter how obvious the twists may be; it's just not the job of the promo to show us what should be important scenes in an upcoming episode. The job is to promote the fact those big scenes are on the way, make us think about how they'll play out, and get us excited to eventually see them in context. I've been doing my best to avoid ranting about this for quite some time now, but I simply can't resist after last night's Arrow promo. Again, spoilers ahead.

In Arrow, Oliver Queen has joined the League of Assassins and is on the path to become the next Ra's al Ghul. He underwent harsh conditions and brainwashing to erase "Oliver Queen" and accept his new identity, Al Sah-Him. This week's episode revealed a pretty obvious twist: Oliver's been faking it just to earn Ra's trust. After all he endured on the island and what not, it's pretty easy to swallow him holding up to this kind of treatment. Many of us were assuming that would be the outcome or some plot device will be used to break him free of Ra's influence. Then, Oliver locks his allies in a room and releases the Alpha and Omega virus -- something that apparently has no cure. We're meant to believe he was faking faking it and this was all an elaborate trap to kill the strongest ties to his past in one fell swoop. Many viewers won't believe this for a second, but the cliffhanger ends on a note that attempts to make us believe his supporting cast just died. Odds are that wasn't really the uncurable virus or there's some deus ex machina that'll save them. Still, the objective of this episode is to leave us asking two questions: is Oliver still on Ra's side and did his supporting cast really just die? To many of us, the answer is obviously no and no way. I mean, we know one of those characters will star in the spinoff series and to kill the entire supporting cast likethat would be absurd. But less than a minute after that scene aired, we received a preview of next week's episode -- one that immediately reveals the supporting cast is not only alive and well, but also back in Starling City. Then it also shows us the scene of Arrow standing up to Ra's and exclaiming, "My name is Oliver Queen!" Did I know both of these things will happen? Absolutely. Is it the job of a promo to show me these key things before the episode airs next Wednesday? Hell no.

I find it very difficult to believe next week's episode doesn't have 20 seconds worth of footage that doesn't blatantly show the supporting cast is just fine and it doesn't show Oliver's big moment as he stands up to Ra's. They should tease these moments. Show us a moment of tension between Ra's and Oliver, or a quick shot that'll make passionate viewers go, "Hey, I totally just saw Diggle! See, told you there's no way they're dead!" A promo should reward passionate fans with great teasers and get them speculating about how everything will play out; not show how things play out. When even a casual viewer can get the basic idea of the next episode's story and key parts, you know you've spoiled too much. It doesn't matter that the twists are obvious to many of us; they aren't obvious to all of us and showing us right away immediately takes away any small feeling of there being actual stakes in what just happened.

The Flash is usually a little better with this. For example, the way it recently teased Barry trying to outrace bullets didn't spoil that twist and the one for the latest episode didn't ruin the story progression with Iris or show us cool parts from Grodd's role. However, the "Who is Harrison Wells?" promo blatant reveals they do indeed find Wells' body and that Barry, Cisco, and Caitlin do find Reverse-Flash's hidden room and gaze at the costume. In a promo, you need to give us fan service that doesn't take away from these major plot points. Show Joe and Quentin, Cisco and Laurel, and the team searching. Show a bit of action. Show a reaction shot of the group looking shocked. Passionate fans will be able to recognize the setting and put together the pieces on their own. Casual fans won't be blatantly spoiled. It's more exciting for both groups that way. Oh, and seeing as The Flash already showed us Oliver will stand by Flash in a fight against Reverse-Flash, how can anyone question, even for a second, whether Oliver Queen is still a good guy or at least going to be good in the near future? Knowing he'll be fine takes away a vast majority of the drama, tension and emotion that's displayed as people like Felicity struggle with losing Oliver yet again. There needs to be more communication between the minds behind the shows and the promo department. If I was writing for the show, I'd be upset to see the work I'm doing is being spoiled a week before it airs. Now, I'm sure some of you are thinking, "So don't watch the promos. It's that easy." To me, that's missing the point of this article. I shouldn't have to worry about witnessing game-changing moments and having the whole story spelled out for me in brief promos that air right after the episode ends. We should see footage that gets us excited and leaves us speculating. Imagine if the promo for the final episode of Breaking Bad blatantly revealed the fate of the two lead characters? Or revealed the plot device that plays an important role? That sure would have been ridiculous, right?

Do I know Oliver Queen will stand up to Ra's al Ghul and say his true name? Of course. Do I know his entire supporting cast is still alive? Obviously. But just because I'm certain these things will happen, it doesn't mean I want to see them unfold just seconds after the latest episode has aired. Look, I know I'm being repetitive here, but it's not the job of the promo to spell out and reveal big plot points; it's the job of the promo to tease them. A promo needs to build our anticipation for an episode and allow us to eventually enjoy those critical scenes in proper context; not already witness them and then enjoy them a second time as they play out during the episode. Will fans still love seeing Oliver angrily say, "My name is Oliver Queen!" Most definitely. Should we have already seen this big moment? Well, I'll let Dr. Evil answer that one for me.

I still love you, Arrow and The Flash. But seriously, CW, you can promote your episodeswithout giving away really important and critical stuff. The episodes have more than enough footage to get us hyped, okay? And don't even get me started on how much those sizzle reels spoiled. I mean, finding out Quentin and Ray discover Arrow's identity that far in advance?!

Source: my blog

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

Great blog.

I feel this doesn't only apply to just the CW shows in general but teasers and trailers in general. If you watch the new Terminator: genesis (?) trailer you it spoils a major plot twist in the film.

While other trailers show too little or show any footage that can interest you in the film.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Awesome work Gregg! I agree pretty much 100%. I don't watch Arrow much but I've seen the promos from time to time and they're pretty awfully made.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The same goes for HBO's Game of Thrones...

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Penderor

I dont watch either of these tv series. I cant help myself, but they are boring.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#5  Edited By The Impersonator

I guess the only solution is to stay completely away from spoilers, and that includes promos. There was also an incident that involved Beth's death poster, which got posted on Facebook. That just spoiled my surprise. I knew she was going to die in TWD after I've seen that image. The same thing goes for movie trailers. There was a Screenrant news article that talked about giving too much away in the upcoming Terminator: Genysis, which is also why I had to stay away from other movie trailers. Best thing to know is to wait and then watch the entire thing. But to find the information, regarding the upcoming movies and TV shows, it's also best to read the articles that doesn't contain spoilers, whether they are possible or real.

Another thing, the warning sign. You have to look out for it. Some people may not notice it. They just get too excited to read, what's currently happening in the news. Be careful when you read the news. Also, if you haven't watched a movie in theaters or an episode of a TV show, don't read the article. Catch up to it, then read it. Most of the time, the comments written by other people will give out things away, even without marking them as a spoiler sign.

_RetroFire_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth. Any suspense for the Arrow finale wen tout the window with the Flash promo.

Honestly, i'm just going through the motions watching Arrow at this point to fill the wednesday gap. this whole season has been a disappointment compared to the last. Way too bat.iron man based and transparent.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit slippery slope with movie & TV show-trailers.

How to show enough to get people enticed but without showing the parts that spoil the movie? Especially when the most "spoilerific" parts are so often the best "money shots".

_RetroFire_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor said:

I dont watch either of these tv series. I cant help myself, but they are boring.

Flash is good, maybe you only caught the first couple episodes. Arrow I gotta agree doesn't hold my attention anymore.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit slippery slope with movie & TV show-trailers.

How to show enough to get people enticed but without showing the parts that spoil the movie? Especially when the most "spoilerific" parts are so often the best "money shots".

They should try taking a leaf out of AoU trailer teams book, we had tons of trailer's yet almost nothing was spoiled.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I don't watch the promos, mostly that is. I watch the promos for the season finales and other important episodes, but like you said, they spoil to much in them.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: Yeah, it was pretty good. I also liked the way GOTG trailers were handled. You got the gist of the film but it still didn't really spoil anything.

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n is back? Yay. As for the episode I thought it was pretty good, but it could've been better as any CW show could improve dramatically.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Makentsu

Highly agreed I saw the trailer last night and was like really you're showing us this in a trailer?you had one job trailer One Job!! and you couldn't even do that right.I mean the point of a trailer/preview is to get us hyped without revealing to much of what is going to happen next.

This was the trailer in a nutshell:

No Caption Provided

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

I don't really care about spoilers or 'spoilery promos' since all they are theortically are out of context plot points or moments that don't exist within the contonuity or context of the larger episode. Pieces that exist more to build the idea of some thematic lynchpin for either the work it is promoting or act as its own unique piece of media.

What matters is the execution of those moments in the context of the greater work. I knew about the Red Wedding and a whole buncha GoT stuff because I read the wiki when it first came out those moments all still play.

@cloudguy mentions theTerminator Genysis trailer. Well for starters it's a bad trailer and reveals a pretty major second act reveal. I think the former is more important then the latter in this regard. It's not an effective marketing piece. Same with Southpaw, which hits on all the sports/boxing movie tropes in its 2 min 31sec run time. But ya know its the dark and gritty renditions of tropes because Kurt Sutter is involved and he's a "rebel".

Take "This is My Sword", it's an episode that runs on the kind of camp/extra textual knowledge of early era serials or Part 1's in Batman '66 episodes. The drama of the cliffhangar is inevitably a fale one because we know they're going to make it all out. Game of Thrones dosen't kills its characters off screen they make you see it. The Alpha-Omega dropped was a fake or it'll be hand waved away in some fashion.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Too true.

I think trailers and promos have becoming such an anticipated and important part of entertainment and media that the creators get carried away. They've completely forgotten the subtlety of what they're supposed to be doing.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

I don't really care about spoilers or 'spoilery promos' since all they are theortically are out of context plot points or moments that don't exist within the contonuity or context of the larger episode. Pieces that exist more to build the idea of some thematic lynchpin for either the work it is promoting or act as its own unique piece of media.

What matters is the execution of those moments in the context of the greater work. I knew about the Red Wedding and a whole buncha GoT stuff because I read the wiki when it first came out those moments all still play.

@cloudguy mentions the Terminator Genysis trailer. Well for starters it's a bad trailer and reveals a pretty major second act reveal. I think the former is more important then the latter in this regard. It's not an effective marketing piece. Same with Southpaw, which hits on all the sports/boxing movie tropes in its 2 min 31sec run time. But ya know its the dark and gritty renditions of tropes because Kurt Sutter is involved and he's a "rebel".

Take "This is My Sword", it's an episode that runs on the kind of camp/extra textual knowledge of early era serials or Part 1's in Batman '66 episodes. The drama of the cliffhanger is inevitably a fale one because we know they're going to make it all out. Game of Thrones doesn't kills its characters off screen they make you see it. The Alpha-Omega dropped was a fake or it'll be hand waved away in some fashion.

I know it's a bad trailer, but you'd think after all this time Hollywood would know how to make a decent trailer for a blockbuster franchise.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: Not really most trailers for blockbusters are genric not in a good way. Also worth noting that the previous marketing efforts for Genysis (god I hate that spelling) have been met with either out right rejection or worse disinterest. I think the BvS trailer is similarly poorly constructed (well the back half at least) but it at least created disscussion and social media impressions. Genysis dosen't have that, this movie is likley going to bomb hard.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@mrmazz:

I knew about the Red Wedding and a whole buncha GoT stuff because I read the wiki when it first came out those moments all still play.

Do you sincerely believe knowing something will happen and seeing how they'll handle it a week before it airs are the same thing? That would be like GoT's promo showing the first kill in the betrayal and the reaction shots, you know? A vast majority of viewers know the supporting cast will be alive and Oliver will stand up to Ra's and say his name, but showing it to us immediately after the cliffhanger? I view that as completely unnecessary and find I very hard to believe they didn't have enough footage to work around it and still produce a promo that'll get fans excited. Oliver's big line should have been saved for the episode.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Cool Blog. Now please write one about Marvel not showing too many clips and movie trailers.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoilers, the Bane of Nerds.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

@cloudguy: Not really most trailers for blockbusters are genric not in a good way. Also worth noting that the previous marketing efforts for Genysis (god I hate that spelling) have been met with either out right rejection or worse disinterest. I think the BvS trailer is similarly poorly constructed (well the back half at least) but it at least created discussion and social media impressions. Genysis doesn't have that, this movie is likely going to bomb hard.

I know what you mean, films that go overboard with marketing seem to end up having too much footage in their trailers (Marvel get away with this somehow), although sometimes they don't know how to do trailers and they show the wrong parts and spoil it (Genysis) or they don't show any decent footage and underhype a good film. A lot of films can end up a making money or losing depending on whether or not a good trailer comes out.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is a good example of going overboard with marketing, if I remember correctly they made a loss because they spent too much on marketing. Sometimes trailers are done so badly on big budget films that people won't go to see them because the trailers are bad.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

And thus, 75,000 notifications were sent, crashing Comic Vine for all time.

Cool blog though, lol.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Cool blog though, lol.

Oh man, I had no idea it would send to everyone following me. I'll make it a usual thread from now on :(

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
@rulerofthisuniverse said:

Cool blog though, lol.

Oh man, I had no idea it would send to everyone following me. I'll make it a usual thread from now on :(

Welcome to the life of a "normal" user.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: We didn't see the 'how' in the promo, merely that they lived. The 'how' is what matteres, viewers would theortically wonder "how they got out of it" because the promo showed them alive and the cliffhanger is false. I'm sure they could've cut a promo more akin to Mad Men, a show famous for its banal promo work because Matthew Weiner is an over eager spoilerphobe, but that isn't how Arrow plays. Still a perhaps fun exercise. Ollie's big line is the title of the episode anyways, and as a moment that is a perhaps a good moment but it is a fleeting figment of the larger journey "My Name is Oliver Queen" will likely go on. To me good promo work plays on viewer knowledge to better create an understandable dialog between work and audience so that the message is acuratly deployed. That's what it did.

These are objects ment to ideally inform/entice potential viewers and in some ways act as synopsis.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

Cool Blog. Now please write one about Marvel not showing too many clips and movie trailers.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: "We all know the internet can be a pretty ugly and negative place. With so many people having no issue spewing their hate, I often try to focus on talking about the things I love. I'd much rather support what I enjoy than tear down something I'm not a fan of."

I love you! Never leave! :)

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

I do watch the tv series and i do watch the promos

Yeah, they spoil major things, but i'm still hyped for the next episode and i will certainly watch it.

I don't really care for the spoilers here, as it's all so obvious ( it's obvious and awesome ).

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#29  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

SO true..... tooo much given away with trailers/promos DAMMIT!

But they still do manage to have more surprises. which is good.

It is problem with most movie trailers nowadays also. AoU gave away soooo much with trailers and over 30 frickin n clips and I'm not even exaggerating.. Hollywood needs a new method.

This is the perfect way to do a trialer by not giving much away and getting people excited for a film. PERFECTION

Loading Video...

~MiB

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last night's arrow was awesome. And then I saw the promo for next week. Totally ruined the experience. Hope the CW sees this and learns a lesson

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Great point, and unfortunately this is all of television with the exception of maybe the premium channels.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

how about no :), win.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the simple solution is to just not show any previews for the following week.... i've never that happenb with these two shows, but in the past when i was watching SOA and justified and other other cable tv shows, the next week preview just always seems to mess things up.

Thatspiderguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very true. Good article.

I was just thinking this when the CW released a image of Oliver and Felicity being together without him being Al-Sa him and all happy.Wtf,CW?!

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By godzilla44

@rexwing said:

Last night's arrow was awesome. And then I saw the promo for next week. Totally ruined the experience. Hope the CW sees this and learns a lesson

ya pretty much agree with this, I saw the promo and was like "WTF!! you just ruined it"

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tyger

CW sucks at cliffhangers. Watch a Smallville cliffhanger, then watch a Star Trek:TNG cliffhanger.

Avatar image for technobacon2014
TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I don't even know if I'll watch Season 4 of Arrow.

Season 3 has been so fucking terrible.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree 100%. Bothered me all season, I might've enjoyed it more if I didn't know Ra's would have the league dress up as Oliver/ Lance would find the Arrowcave, etc.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here, I agree 100%. You don't need the wisdom of Solomon to see a spoiler. It kinda ruins everything. Your blog is spot on.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, so true.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By Claymore1998

Awesome stuff.

Keep up the good work ^_^

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nicely done.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i end up having to avoid alot of stuff when it comes to shows I watch,movies I want to watch and even twitter.I know they have to hype stuff up but at times it makes me feel I already know what's gonna happen in a show or film lol,but good blog!

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess all the commercial/trailer avoiding is really paying off because I never knew this.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This happening a lot in recent times. Even with movies like Terminator Genesis and Jurassic World. Maybe its a marketing ploy, that casual viewers buy more ticket because of it... but it really sucks for the actual fans.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's why I change the channel once its over and use my laptop during commercials

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article @k4tzm4n!

Honestly, I don't even know if I'll watch Season 4 of Arrow.

Season 3 has been so fucking terrible.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Avatar image for deactivated-59e0e7cc44079
deactivated-59e0e7cc44079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Flash Wins for Sure!