Avatar image for youshallnotpass
#1 Posted by YouShallNotPass (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought about this thread after seeing the visuals/design thread. Show your appreciation to some of the beautiful and smart choreography we've seen in film/tv. Preferably cb based (because this is on a comic based forum) but you can use other films/tv if you may. Feel free to use videos, gifs (basically any form of media) to show your love, lets go...

People who may be interested

#2 Posted by YouShallNotPass (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

Think im gonna analyse the fight choreography of the BvS warehouse scene a bit, ill have it done soon

Loading Video...

#3 Edited by k4tzm4n (41722 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread will have a clear "best fight choreography" winner if Gareth Evans (The Raid) gets to direct Deathstroke and gets full creative control.

#4 Posted by RBT (26292 posts) - - Show Bio

Into The Badlands has extremely good choreography.

#5 Posted by lubub55 (12778 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

The best on TV.

#7 Posted by YouShallNotPass (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:
@rbt said:

The best on TV.

Never watched the show, can you post a youtube vid of one of the fight scenes please?

#8 Posted by YouShallNotPass (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

This thread will have a clear "best fight choreography" winner if Gareth Evans (The Raid) gets to direct Deathstroke and gets full creative control.

Would love to see him and David Leitch working together

#9 Posted by foxerdes (9785 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#10 Posted by YouShallNotPass (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

@foxerdes: I love how the showcase Zods superior skill here, Clark getting countered so easily because hes throwing the same lame predictable punches out and then Zod briefly stuns him for a second with the initial punch so he can send him a fair distance back in the stomach. The fight also has a great back and forth style to it in this entire sequence.

#11 Edited by Worldofthunder (5055 posts) - - Show Bio

- Batman warehouse scene

- Captain America vs Winter Soldier on the highway

- Batman vs Deathstroke Arkham Origins cinematic trailer

- Undisputed 2 and 3

- Bone

- Spiderman 2 and 3

These are all movies or fight scenes with great choreography.

#12 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't have a thread like this without this scene. This is another of the scenes in TWS that changed my view on Captain America.

Loading Video...

I thought they did a great job with the choreography and sheer speed. Looked like how two superhumanly fast, super skilled guys should fight imo.

#13 Posted by Mrnoital (7799 posts) - - Show Bio

a few of my favourites

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#14 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#15 Posted by YouShallNotPass (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu: I like how this fight shows how smart and skilled Cap is in combat. I love the small sequence in when Bucky trys to stab Cap multiple times and then Cap gains distance from him using that kick, which disarms him Bucky as well so he can go in for that big knee slam. This is also shown when Cap uses Buckys momentum against him and does a simple take down but Bucky bionic arm proves its sheer strength again (put a lot of emphasis on the shield punch earlier to maybe forbode occurences like this and when he crumbles the ground). The shaky cam on this fight scene annoys me a bit though.

No Caption Provided

#16 Edited by adamTRMM (8758 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Adkins' Boyka stuff, Undisputed 2 onward. I remember being extremely impressed by the sheer amount of complexity and entertainment in there. Movies aren't good though, but the fights? They were really well-performed.

EDIT:

If we're talking about CBMs, since Watchmen opening and Warehouse are already here...:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

The epitome of superhuman smackdown right here.

#17 Posted by adamTRMM (8758 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

But how is its dramaturgy though?

#19 Edited by uugieboogie (13017 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...
No Caption Provided

#20 Posted by RBT (26292 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:
@rbt said:

But how is its dramaturgy though?

No clue. I haven't seen the show.

#21 Posted by KanyeCosby (6630 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#22 Edited by The_Magister (13027 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
#25 Edited by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio

@youshallnotpass said:

@amcu: I like how this fight shows how smart and skilled Cap is in combat. I love the small sequence in when Bucky trys to stab Cap multiple times and then Cap gains distance from him using that kick, which disarms him Bucky as well so he can go in for that big knee slam. This is also shown when Cap uses Buckys momentum against him and does a simple take down but Bucky bionic arm proves its sheer strength again (put a lot of emphasis on the shield punch earlier to maybe forbode occurences like this and when he crumbles the ground). The shaky cam on this fight scene annoys me a bit though.

No Caption Provided

Yeah I agree with most of what you said. I personally enjoyed some of the shaky cam stuff in this fight scene(makes it seem faster) but I can definitely see why some wouldn't. Shaky cam can be annoying in some scenes like say the Black Panther first fight scene.

Wondering what do you think of the Kingsmen video I posted above in post 14? I love the way Eggsy implements his gun into everything. I really need to see the Golden Circle. I haven't yet but I imagine the fight scenes where probably awesome.

#26 Edited by MAZAHS117 (11840 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it’s not cbm related but the John Wick series has some of the slickest choreography going today I think. It’s like the perfect balance, you can tell it’s obviously exaggerated but not too over the top to the point your rolling your eyes

#27 Posted by AngelJax (11250 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#28 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22453 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

You can't have a thread like this without this scene. This is another of the scenes in TWS that changed my view on Captain America.

Loading Video...

I thought they did a great job with the choreography and sheer speed. Looked like how two superhumanly fast, super skilled guys should fight imo.

My only gripe with this scene is the direction; it has too much shaky cam and too many cuts. The Russos are pretty mediocre when it comes to fight scenes imo

In better hands this scene would be nuts

#29 Posted by uugieboogie (13017 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Yeah I can understand. I love it personally but now I can see where they used shaky cam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#31 Edited by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio

If you can count how many cuts there are you get a cookie.

Loading Video...
#32 Edited by deltahuman (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool thread.

I think you should do a detailed post on 'Raid' and 'The Raid Redemption'. Both these movies feature outstanding action choreography by Gareth Evans. The shots have very few cuts and shaky cam which proves that the actors/stunt doubles were indeed extremely skilled in martial arts. I think the main style they featured in these movies is 'Silat' along with other south east asian styles like 'Muay Thai' 'Kali' etc. The action was extremely fluid and devoid of flashy moves and kicks that's associated with most Hong Kong based and Hollywood movies. Overall, I'd say, these two movies are the best action films in recent times.

Loading Video...

One more underrated movie series is the 'District13' series. David Belle choreographed most of the scenes if I'm not wrong. He of course is the founder of Parkour. Extremely fluid and innovative moves and extensively features 'Savate' and 'Parkour'. Overall the sequences are well shot and enjoyable.

Loading Video...

Of course, there are other very good martial arts based mainstream movies that are more popular like Donnie Yen's 'Ip Man' series. Undisputed Series is good too. Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins did a fantastic job there. I'm focussing more on the underrated ones.

In CBMs, I think The BvS Warehouse scene is the benchmark in hand to hand combat scenes. I mean not only is the scene devoid of quick cuts and shaky cam, even the Cinematography is outstanding in that scene. The lighting, the background score instills a sense of fear and dramatics into the scene and makes the scene look like as if lifted straight out of some Arkham video gamre. Batman looks brutal, frightening and like an absolute badass. That was one of the best hand to hand combat scenes in CBMs IMO.

Loading Video...

#33 Edited by buildhare (8515 posts) - - Show Bio

Short of the Raid (which obviously isn't getting topped) the fight scenes from Daredevil stand head and shoulders above most CBM/TV fights;

Loading Video...

#34 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio

I re watched some of the Black Panther fights and I realized I underrated the choreography. It's not as good As Civil War or close but it's not bad either.

I thought all of these where pretty good.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#35 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

A bit random but I love that move for some reason.

#36 Posted by TheyCallMeBT (1018 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#37 Posted by TheyCallMeBT (1018 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#38 Posted by lubub55 (12778 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#39 Posted by Fabricolage (1742 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice thread.

#40 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#41 Edited by Mr_Shazam0920 (3261 posts) - - Show Bio

Sticking with CBM the most memorable to me are Cap vs WS highway fight (knife flip!), Nightcrawler beginning of X-Men 2, Logan vs Shingen The Wolverine, Faora speed blitzing those poor soldiers Man of Steel, and Peter Parker vs Harry in Spider-Man 3 (first fight not the one in Harry’s home).

#42 Edited by mindleech (742 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

I re watched some of the Black Panther fights and I realized I underrated the choreography. It's not as good As Civil War or close but it's not bad either.

I thought all of these where pretty good.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

lol @ this cgi. Lookin like a game trailer.

#43 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio

This here to me is some of the best off the best.

Wish the actual movies could look like this.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#45 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMP.

#46 Posted by webinyoureye11 (5328 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu: figured you might like a tag

blood & bone

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Into the badlands

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

No Caption Provided

#47 Posted by Amcu (15450 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Edited by mrmonster (13651 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:
@rbt said:

The best on TV.

Never watched the show, can you post a youtube vid of one of the fight scenes please?

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#49 Posted by godzilla44 (6906 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean come on, how has no one posted any John Wick?

Loading Video...