The Boys : Show vs Comics

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll The Boys : Show vs Comics (13 votes)

Amazon 46%
Garth Ennis 54%

Which do you prefer the comic book or the live action show?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

Haven't read much of the comic truth be told but I feel I'd probably prefer the show just from how they differ in style and shows being my preferred format in terms of media consumption.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By stormshadow_x

Prefer the show while it's raunchy the comic felt like it was trying to hard to be the gritty what if superheroes were in real life. The show does it better but I'll wait till it has its official last season an ep to compare it to the comic, I already like where it's going more so than I did with the comic.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let´s wait till the show ends, at least.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The TV series needs more fleshing out before you can begin to compare it to the comic. As it is though, the TV series is just as good as I hoped it to be

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly never really liked the Boys comic it seemed way to edgy just for the sake of being edgy. The show handles the mature content much better imo.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there is one thing we can all agree on: The Deep's comic suit is better than the live action one.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there is one thing we can all agree on: The Deep's comic suit is better than the live action one.

No Caption Provided

Can't believe they white washed him in the show. Sarcasm

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@heatforce: Hard pass on that lol. I'll take rip off Aquaman/namor costume over the ghost of captain Cutler.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By Warlockmage

right now... the comic by a freaking mile.

There are still way too many unexplained holes in the show... how tf could they not know about Compound V? like the whole premise of The Boys is that they were originally put together to keep the Supes in check because they knew about the Supes and their dirty little secrets.

You honestly expect me to believe Mallory knew about the Homelander and... i forget her name off the top of my head, BUT she didn't know about Compound V? But some mayor in Boston knew about it?

shit doesn't make sense.

also Hughie being American annoys me

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

@warlockmage: She knew about it, she was just acting as if she didn't to keep it hidden from him.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

@cloudguy said:

@warlockmage: She knew about it, she was just acting as if she didn't to keep it hidden from him.

that actually makes it worse... Mallory purposely handicapping Butcher like that is much much much worse

im_late

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By im_late

The show is, hands down, an outstanding adaptation of the source material. They took their liberties, which is fine, and used what they've got to create one of the most compelling series recently made.

Now, it did change a lot compared to the comic books, but lets be honest, as much as we love the original material, most of it wouldn't work if directly translated into a TV show and a lot of it was laughably over the top.

Instead, we have something that tackles major problems of Western society while making the superheroes look believable. Greedy companies; media manipulation; hidden agendas; losing our humanity to money, veangence and religious zealots. All of that and more.

And it's just on top of having outstanding cast. I cannot stress how much Anatomy did for the Homelander. He was good in Banshee, but here he made me realize how shallow and uninteresting original Homelander is. Karl Urban might slip his accent sometimes but other than that he is everything I'd imagine butcher should be. Frenchie and Female are both a great castings, with their story being rewritten in an organic and satisfying way.

But the most important thing is camera work and writing combined with high-budget special effects and excellent music. Just watch the plane scene, and tell me it's not one of the most disturbing, well made scenes you've recently seen. And there are so many others that leave you thinking "wow."

Bottom line, it's an amazing series that changes several things for the better and creates an unforgettable experience. There are obviously some downsides - sometimes pacing is a bit off and I don't like Mallory casting (the character needs male energy IMO, but I guess it's an old Mallory so the actress did a really good job conveying bitterness and grief) but at the end of the day, it should be a must watch for any comic book fan.