• 55 results
Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51 Straight-Fire  Online

Well, this makes sense. I'd love to see more of Widow's character and a prequel is the best way to do it. If this is true I don't get why people are complaining.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Would be great as a rated-r movie.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle:

Wouldn't it be rather hard to give her a status like that? I mean, they just went a different path, I like her in the MCU. Likemany writers and directors have said, they don't always go by the comics. It's just a baseline.

I don't know, man, I am just sort of a purist when it comes to this stuff. I don't think the stories have to be accurate adaptions but I just wish they made more of a stride to get certain things, specifically the characters, correct. A funny thing is people usually criticize the X-men films heavily for things like certain characters not having accents or being exact but in the MCU they let it slide ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think I've seen her accent being hinted this much on panel other than a couple of times. But fair enough.

Not true, if anything's remained untouched from her character in the comics, it's her Russian roots;

• I believe that when Tony was looking at her file in IM2 he mentioned something about her Russian
  • In ''The Avengers' she does speak Russian in the opening interrogation scene
  • In 'TWS', it's rather cut clear several times. She identifies some soviet made bullets used by the Winter Soldier and more importantly, when Zemo identifies her and Cap, he mentions both her birthdate and the fact that her real name is actually 'Natalia Romanova'. And when she's talking with Steve in Sam's house, she outright mentioned that she worked at the KGB.

I think that if anyone, the Russos did her justice, like they do eith everyone. Hopefully they'll focus on her switching sides from thei KGB to SHIELD and her training and stuff.

I feel like they did this stuff after the fact as a way to remind you that this character is supposed to be the comic character "See, we referenced her Russia past!! See, guys!! SEE!!??" either way, they are quick little mentions and do not drive or have any relevance to the character after that. Again, we are comic fans so we know about the character but your average person that really doesn't give an f probably just mainly knows that Scarlett Johanssen's character is called Black Widow and is some sort of agent who makes a lot of quips.

If you have ever seen Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, Rebecca Ferguson's character in that is more like the comic Black Widow, she even looks more like the character than Johanssen does.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 anthp2000  Moderator

@cattlebattle:

I guess your point has to do with the fact that her character has always been supportive in the MCU, which her solo film (and A4, which will as the Russos said give her a bigger role) will probably change. You can only do so much with dozens of characters to work on, every movie just keeps adding new ones, some of them even more relevant than Natasha to the main plot.

If your criticism has to do with Johansson's portrayal or the writers' take, I'd strongly disagree on that. It's not just about the fact that ScarJo does have very good acting skills, there's also that the Russos did do the character justice. Now, I'll agree that in the MCU, Widow remained kind of bleak as a character up until TWS, but both there and in CW, they did let her shine. But Whedon's Black Widow just wasn't a particularly good character.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By cattlebattle

@anthp2000 said:

@cattlebattle:

I guess your point has to do with the fact that her character has always been supportive in the MCU, which her solo film (and A4, which will as the Russos said give her a bigger role) will probably change. You can only do so much with dozens of characters to work on, every movie just keeps adding new ones, some of them even more relevant than Natasha to the main plot.

Well in the comics she was a supporting character as well, and she wasn't even with Avengers for that long, the only reason she is featured so heavily in the films is because Johanssen became a huge Hollwood name along with her fellow Avengers and the character was sort of remodeled to be like an original version more than the comic character....which is my point.

@anthp2000 said:

If your criticism has to do with Johansson's portrayal or the writers' take, I'd strongly disagree on that. It's not just about the fact that ScarJo does have very good acting skills, there's also that the Russos did do the character justice. Now, I'll agree that in the MCU, Widow remained kind of bleak as a character up until TWS, but both there and in CW, they did let her shine. But Whedon's Black Widow just wasn't a particularly good character.

I don't think Johanssen is that great of an actress to be honest, she tends to be wooden and emotionless in nearly everything she's in, which led to some good performances here and there like "Under the Skin" where she was supposed to be an emotionless alien, lol, but otherwise, I think lots of actresses could have played the Black Widow character.

I will agree she became more relevant after the original Avengers film and became more than "token female" but not by much, my main argument here is that she isn't really the Black Widow character from the comics and just sort of facilitates a secondary female role without contributing much.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well, this makes sense. I'd love to see more of Widow's character and a prequel is the best way to do it. If this is true I don't get why people are complaining.

I don't see a single thing I disagree with in this post :)