The Best Things In Life AREN'T Free. by InferiorEgo
Stealing is not a victimless crime. No matter how big the corporation is, someone gets hurt along the way. Yes, I know I sound like a mixture of the RIAA, your parents, and every police officer you’ve ever met, but I am extremely 100% against getting your comics for free off the internet. Why? Well let’s go through a list of reasons! Get ready for moderate boredom!
1. Stealing comics is a gateway crime. First you’re telling yourself, “I’ll just steal one little comic, who will it hurt?” Next thing you know, you’re a high class diamond thief with all these awesome gadgets. Still sound cool? (yes) Next think you know you’re smuggling heroin in from Asia and you’ve murdered 10,000 people for standing in your way. Still sound cool now? (I hope not) Stealing comics will lead you to drug smuggling and murder.
2. You’re getting a little lazy. At least when you bought comics, you had to go outside to get to the car, drive to the store, walk inside, and walk around to pick them up. Now, you just click click click… Even if you order them from online, you still have to go to the door to pick them up. I just don’t want you to end up like the Sloth-guy from Seven.
3. You’re making babies cry when you steal comics. Let’s face it, we all know babies are very sensitive to the world around them, and they can sense crimes better than Peter Parker’s Spider-Sense. That’s why babies cry so much, they can sense the crime and then they feel bad because they can’t do anything about it.
In all honesty though, downloading comics for free hurts the industry. It’s one of the reasons some books are going up in price. People lose their jobs over this stuff. Here’s a fake math problem or flow chart thing to prove it.
* · Enough people steal the book
* · Less people actually buy it
* · Less company can afford to print
* · Company lays off employees.
It’s this cycle of hurt these people put on the industry. Let’s actually take a look at everyone involved who is hurt by thievery of comic books. I don’t think I have to tell you why either, it should be obvious.
* · Retailers
* · Printing companies
* · Delivery companies
* · Creators/Editors
* · Publishers
* · Companies who advertise within the comic
* · Employees of everything said above
Now who gains from this?
* · You and only you.
Stealing is not only hurtful to a giant mix media community; it’s an entirely selfish activity. Comics cost between $3-$4 apiece. Why not work for what you want to own? Since when did making your own money and using said money to buy something become so bad? It’s a great feeling to own something your worked towards. Don’t want to work to buy comics? Then stop reading comics. Is this entirely too harsh? I don’t think so. Everyone that buys their books appreciates the work by the artists and writers, people who download them for free don’t. It’s disrespectful.
Yes, I’m very passionate about this subject. A few of my friends are writers in the industry, I’m on my way to becoming one, and I want them to succeed. When I hear about someone downloading books it aggravates me. 90% of the artists and writers you love started out in the indie world and worked their way to Marvel and/or DC. The only win in this situation is you, the loss goes to ALL the people who work their butts off to bring you what you take for free.