The Best Stuff In Comics: 9-7-15

Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we take a look at the other Best Stuff you might have missed...this week.

There may be some teeny tiny spoilers below.

DEADPOOL VS THANOS #1

Best Mustache

After Deadpool is killed, he finds himself in between life and death...and has a pretty sweet mustache...on his mask.

No Caption Provided

Maybe this should be a permanent look? Probably not.

BAT-MITE #4

Best Superhero Endorsement We'd Like to See

Bat-Mite runs into Booster Gold, he doesn't really know who he is (since he only cares about Batman). Eventually he does recognize him from an ad.

No Caption Provided

"Hero Britches"? I really want to see that commercial.

STAR-LORD AND KITTY PRYDE #3

Best Spider-Man (Movie) Reference

Gambit has Kitty tied up. He gets inspired to find a Spider-Man mask to recreate that famous kissing scene with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. Don't worry, he doesn't get a chance to actually do it.

No Caption Provided

Best Days of Future Past Cover Homage

We've seen the cover to UNCANNY X-MEN #141 recreated so many times. I still enjoy seeing it done. This time, instead of Kitty being in the background, she's in the front, protecting Star-Lord. The Doom banner even sort of recreates the wanted posters in the background of the original cover.

No Caption Provided

BATMAN '66 Chapter 68

Best Interesting Nightmare/Fear

Batman and Robin face Scarecrow in the TV version continuity. We see Batman's fear and it's kind of weird seeing it this way.

No Caption Provided

MOCKINGBIRD: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1

Best Comparison Between Boyfriends

It might upset some people but yeah, Bobbi is allowed to move on, just as Clint clearly has. It turns out she has a type as she compares Clint to Hunter.

No Caption Provided

Best Place to Keep Your Ammo if You're a Spy

If you're going to keep some bullets lying around, why not the cookie jar? But not just any regular cookie jar, you keep them in a TARDIS cookie jar.

No Caption Provided

DAREDEVIL #18

Best Dramatic Entrance

Daredevil has to pose as Ikari and pretend Daredevil's been killed. He walks in and makes a declaration.

No Caption Provided

Best Way to Tell if Kingpin's Upset

When Kingpin gets the news that his enemy is dead, he's not too happy even though it's what he ordered. Of course Matt can tell when he's upset.

No Caption Provided

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US: YEAR FOUR Chapter 18

Best Low Blow

As you can imagine, there's a lot of fighting going on. Poseidon delivers a low blow to Aquaman in the Atlantean royal jewels.

No Caption Provided

GROOT #4

Best Reason to Make Sure Your Navigator Knows Where You're Going

Some Skrulls are planning on attacking Earth. Unfortunately the print was really small on their map and the navigator got the location wrong.

No Caption Provided

Best Visual Translation of "I Am Groot"

Groot is talking to Numinus, the universal guiding spirit. She questions her actions and mistakes and whether or not the universe is worth it. Groot responds in the way only he can.

No Caption Provided

That pretty much says it all for this week. There was also a really great X-Men/Wolverine homage but it was the very last panel and I just can't post it. It's pretty fantastic though.

That's it this week. Let us know in the comments below what other Best Stuff you dug this past week. Thanks to @djfanco for his suggestions. If you want to participate or felt we missed some other Best Stuff, don't complain, especially if you didn't offer any suggestions. Each week you can @reply me on Twitter at @GManFromHeck by Saturdays using the hashtag #BestStuffInComics.We'll give you a shout out and I'll think you're pretty groovy.

Be sure to always look for the best stuff and always be sure to remember if you're ever feeling down, "I am Groot." That says it all.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#1 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Jason Momoa, the comic sites have been reporting how he told folks that after BVS no one would be making jokes about Aquaman and now we have a panel of Arthur getting a nad shot. Hope they don't make that pic a movie poster lol.

#2 Posted by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool looks killer.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#3 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn I should read Mockingbird and she should get a book like Spider-Woman, SIlk, She-hulk etc

~MiB

#4 Posted by Overmonitor (1515 posts) - - Show Bio

That Groot pic made my week. Thanks! I will always know how to represent how he says so much more with 3 words than others can with 1 billion.

#5 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Dem Greeks Gods, never play fair:

No Caption Provided

#6 Posted by WastelandMan (8834 posts) - - Show Bio

That Groot scan was pretty creative.

#7 Posted by Teerack (10703 posts) - - Show Bio

The "I am Groot" page makes zero sense.

#8 Posted by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

This is how I interpret it.

Groot can only say "I am Groot". When asked if the universe is worth it (a deep question I assume, philosophical, and sort of like asking someone what the meaning of life is, and that's not easy to answer) all he could say is "I am Groot", and that really isn't an answer at all now, is it? And it's a rather simple answer for such a grandiose question. However, there are much more to his words, and unlike his limited vocabulary his thoughts are much deeper and speak louder.

I'd imagine that Groot takes in this question, looks back at his experiences, the past, his feelings, what he's seen and knows, and responds with "I am Groot". But what is I am Groot? To other characters this has no particular meaning, but in Groot's mind and we the reader (who see his thoughts being visually expressed through his words) see much, much more. With those three simple words he expressed more than any words ever could. We see action, fun, friendship, respect, love, warmth, and other things being expressed, and to Groot it's what makes the universe worth it.

TL;DR: Groot can't say anything other than "I am Groot" so the writer/artist decided to give us a glimpse of what exactly he really meant by illustrating his thoughts onto his words.

#9 Posted by comicbookfan93 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn I feel I should really be reading Groot

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't Mockingbird making out with Hawkeye not that long ago?

#11 Posted by kgb725 (19862 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: That's how Groot's people talk and he speaks words inside of what he's saying

#12 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

Groot is wrong, with all the backstabbing and murderous heroes in the mu I don't think that universe is worth it. Good art on that though.

#13 Posted by dcfox (189 posts) - - Show Bio

I had no idea Lance Hunter was an actual character. I just assumed he was a creation of the show.

#14 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@dcfox: I mentioned it in the review for the Mockingbird issue. I don't know much about him in the Marvel Universe but I think his last appearance was in the Marvel UK mini-event that happened last year. He was in REVOLUTIONARY WAR: ALPHA #1.

#15 Posted by MrDevil (3092 posts) - - Show Bio

Dem Greeks Gods, never play fair:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I guess the same applies to the Norse Gods.

#16 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdevil: Well, it's a Norse God playing at being a Greek one.

#17 Posted by MrDevil (3092 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdevil: Well, it's a Norse God playing at being a Greek one.

following Herc's path lol.

#18 Posted by papad1992 (7025 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting "moment/event" choices in the I Am Groot panel.

#19 Posted by Rubear (4663 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting "moment/event" choices in the I Am Groot panel.

One of them is clearly excrescent for my taste. xD

#20 Posted by G-Dude (877 posts) - - Show Bio

That was a cheap shot lol poor Aquaman... Well that's aquaman for you.

#21 Posted by G-Dude (877 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm also digging the Deadpool's mustache, that will sure be a lady killer for Death.

Avatar image for bullet_to_the_head
#22 Posted by Bullet_to_the_Head (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

how many times has aquaman been hit in the junk now? Not caring about countinuity

#23 Posted by Alvarakk (16 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

I almost missed Groot's homage to Wolverine in the last page if it was not for this article. Here's a reminder from the classic pages of Dark Phoenix Saga for you all to enjoy The X-Men #132 - And Hellfire Is Their Name!

#24 Posted by Alvarakk (16 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by kgb725 (19862 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: Heroes don't go around murdering innocents and what marvel characters are backstabbing others in a cold blooded way ?

#26 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: Dr. Strange murdering the great society, the Illuminati creating the bombs that blow up planets, Tony Stark/Reed Richards/Carol Davners and the entire civil war storyline. That's just for starters.

#27 Edited by kgb725 (19862 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: They blew up planets to save universes so that's justified. Tony Stark went overboard but he came to his senses in CW

#28 Edited by MK5 (368 posts) - - Show Bio

@mysticmedivh said:
@teerack said:

This is how I interpret it.

Groot can only say "I am Groot". When asked if the universe is worth it (a deep question I assume, philosophical, and sort of like asking someone what the meaning of life is, and that's not easy to answer) all he could say is "I am Groot", and that really isn't an answer at all now, is it? And it's a rather simple answer for such a grandiose question. However, there are much more to his words, and unlike his limited vocabulary his thoughts are much deeper and speak louder.

I'd imagine that Groot takes in this question, looks back at his experiences, the past, his feelings, what he's seen and knows, and responds with "I am Groot". But what is I am Groot? To other characters this has no particular meaning, but in Groot's mind and we the reader (who see his thoughts being visually expressed through his words) see much, much more. With those three simple words he expressed more than any words ever could. We see action, fun, friendship, respect, love, warmth, and other things being expressed, and to Groot it's what makes the universe worth it.

TL;DR: Groot can't say anything other than "I am Groot" so the writer/artist decided to give us a glimpse of what exactly he really meant by illustrating his thoughts onto his words.

@teerack: The series has illustrated inside of "I am Groot" in other issues as well. This one has the biggest meaning.

#29 Posted by Nufious (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@m_man said:

That Groot scan was pretty creative.

#30 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@mark_stephen: They blew up planets to save universes so that's justified. Tony Stark went overboard but he came to his senses in CW

Even if I'll grant that point and I won't, there is the fact that Namor -before he blew up an alternate world- made it a point to murder Reed and Sue's where ever he found them. Also Tony never came to his senses, he's flat out stated that he'd it again. Tell me he didn't pull a slimy move when he got She-Hulk into bed. Then there was AvX when the X-men captured and tortured some of the Avengers. Or the fact that for years the Danger Room computer was actually sentient and Prof X. kept it imprisoned and his slave. I could fill pages.

In my opinion most of the marvel universe for years now has been a place where honor, friendship and loyalty go to die. The ends justify the means and if those means include murder -as we saw with Dr. Strange- then so be it. Heroism isn't that important in the mu anymore and rarely are there lasting or serious consequences. So Groot's statement as true as it was, was only true for an instant of time before everyone starts stabbing each other in the back again.

#31 Posted by kgb725 (19862 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: I'll give you that about Tony but the rest is wrong. Tony is a player but hes not forcing people into his bed like hes Starfox.Marvel isn't DC where every choice is black & white. If you have to destroy a planet in order to save multiple universes then so be it. The Phoenix affected the xmen's thinking. Besides CW you haven't named any backstabbing incidents

Namor isn't a true hero anyways.

#32 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@mark_stephen: I'll give you that about Tony but the rest is wrong. Tony is a player but hes not forcing people into his bed like hes Starfox.Marvel isn't DC where every choice is black & white. If you have to destroy a planet in order to save multiple universes then so be it. The Phoenix affected the xmen's thinking. Besides CW you haven't named any backstabbing incidents

Namor isn't a true hero anyways.

Well you could try to work with the people on that planet instead of murdering them. Also I'll note that destroying universe after universe hasn't really done any good. The mu is still ending and I say good considering just how little honor or nobility is left. Tony's not a player, he's scum. Ask any woman with any self respect if they'd ever talk to him if he did to them what he did to Jen, but Jen had no trouble working with him again. She never carried through on the legal action against him for experimentation on prisoners or what he did to her. As to the Star Fox date rape is a joke storyline, that didn't do her any favors either.

Prof X did that to the Danger Room before AvX. Then there is the mental job he did on Cyclops, editing his memory.

The Iluminati tricking the Hulk into space and causing World War Hulk. No one seems to hold or have held that against the Iluminati, even the Hulk. I was pretty sure they had blown up Hulkworld and I still think that they were one of the major causes.

Namor's been a Defender and he's walking around free. After this current series I doubt anyone will even remember what he's done, let alone care about it enough to bring him to any sort of justice. It'll be like Tony after cw, one self mind wipe, a note of apology and back to business as usual. Even after his last bit of evil turn with Superior Iron Man Tony will walk away from it, assuming anyone even remembers his actions. Or he'll be like Reed who skipped away with a second honeymoon and wasn't given more than a bad look from Sue for his part in WWH. The lives he's taken... they just don't matter to the writers.

There was the time that Nick Fury dressed as a super villain and attacked the FF to test his new weaponry. The time that Fury staged a hostile take over of Stark Enterprises. When Tony's alcoholism got the best of him Nick didn't try to help, he tried to steal the armor. Maria Hill blew up innocent people in the Savage Land, SWORD held Peter for years and experimented on him and then kidnapped the X-men.

Yes, cw was when the majority of the backstabbing happened, does that excuse it? How many times have the X-men fought each other? I could go on and on but I think for every example you'll have spin to cast it away.

DC isn't black and white, there are shades of grey but marvel? In my opinion there is about enough loyalty, honor and friendship in the mu to fill that one page of Groot dialogue.

#33 Posted by kgb725 (19862 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: What are you talking about the Illuminati tried to save other Earths and they didnt destrpy uinverse . But couldn't do anything else besides destroy their planet.

The xmen always fight because they are family doesn't mean they are backstabbing

As for Planet Hulk they sent him off world but the ship blowing up was Miek's fault. The Green Scar is gone no other incarnation would care about that anyways. And Bruce found family and happiness why would he even be that mad about it?

Superior Iron Man was not Tony's fault so why would he get punished for that ? She Hulk nearly killed Star Fox after finding out what he did to her and others.

#34 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@mark_stephen: What are you talking about the Illuminati tried to save other Earths and they didnt destrpy uinverse . But couldn't do anything else besides destroy their planet.

The xmen always fight because they are family doesn't mean they are backstabbing

As for Planet Hulk they sent him off world but the ship blowing up was Miek's fault. The Green Scar is gone no other incarnation would care about that anyways. And Bruce found family and happiness why would he even be that mad about it?

Superior Iron Man was not Tony's fault so why would he get punished for that ? She Hulk nearly killed Star Fox after finding out what he did to her and others.

If they hadn't sent him to Hulkworld it would still exist. I see no difference between Superior Iron Man and regular Iron Man. Or to put it another way there is nothing that Norman Osborn didn't do as head of HAMMER that Tony didn't do as head of SHIELD. The Illuminati blew up a planet full of innocent people, Namor murdered Reed and Sue of another world, Dr. Strange murdered the heroes of a world. Jen proved herself a hypocrite when she went after Starfox, Cyclops now has more in common with Magneto than he does with Prof X. Sue Richards stood back and let Wolverine murder a young Hank Pym.

Think of all the things that the heroes have done to each other since Avengers Dissasembled. It's been a long slide into a universe where The Ends Justify the Means is the chief operating philosophy.

#35 Edited by kgb725 (19862 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: If you see no difference between Superior and regular Tony then your clearly just looking for the negative in him.

The Illuminati didn't blow up Sakaar. Miek blew up the ship (his statement) then Skaar (Hulk's son) let Galactus eat it.

Namor literally fluctuates as a villain and a hero who cares if he murders random people from different universes ?

The Illuminati blew up planets to save two universes not just because they wanted to.

Dr. Strange killed those heroes because he was trying to stop the incursions and wasn't in full control of himself.

Cyclops will do whatever he needs for his people so you are right on that.

Sue let Wolverine kill Hank because Ultron was on the brink of annihiliating the entire human race.

You are skewing a lot of the facts here

#36 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@mark_stephen: If you see no difference between Superior and regular Tony then your clearly just looking for the negative in him.

The Illuminati didn't blow up Sakaar. Miek blew up the ship (his statement) then Skaar (Hulk's son) let Galactus eat it.

Namor literally fluctuates as a villain and a hero who cares if he murders random people from different universes ?

The Illuminati blew up planets to save two universes not just because they wanted to.

Dr. Strange killed those heroes because he was trying to stop the incursions and wasn't in full control of himself.

Cyclops will do whatever he needs for his people so you are right on that.

Sue let Wolverine kill Hank because Ultron was on the brink of annihiliating the entire human race.

You are skewing a lot of the facts here

If I am so are you. The Illuminati sent Hulk into space and didn't bother to track where he was going or put safeguards on his ship. If they hadn't sent him there it wouldn't have been blown up.

I don't agree that life in other universes is meaningless.

The Illuminati blew up planets instead of trying to work with the people from those planets. The heroes that Dr. Strange murdered (right mind or no) were willing to work with the Illuminati but when they didn't go along Dr. Strange murdered them. If you want to go by your statement that their lives were meaningless anyway that's up to you.

Sue and Logan went back in time to stop Hank from creating Ultron. Instead of talking to him, talking to the other heroes or anything sensible like that Sue just stood by and let him be murdered by Wolverine.

What is the difference between Superior and Regular Iron Man? Again what did Norman do as head of HAMMER that Tony didn't do first as head of SHIELD?

#38 Posted by Darkmount1 (1535 posts) - - Show Bio

On that Mockingbird thing with the jar, there is a bit of precedent--Eleanor Sherman, the mother of the titular character in 'The Critic', keeps a jar labled 'Bullets', right next to identical jars for sugar and flour. She also keeps her revolver in the freezer, for that matter...

#39 Posted by kgb725 (19862 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: What other heroes they could've talked to they were all dead ?

Actually Strange didn't kill them because they didn't agree with one another. Namor attacked them because they came to an impasse and had no other choice but to destroy the planet then Namor blew it up

They aren't destroying the universe they're saving the other universe.

The Illuminati knew exactly where they wanted to send Hulk the coordinates got messed up

The fact that you think superior and regular iron man is the same baffles me

#40 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@alvarakk: I try not to spoil final panels in issues.