The Best Stuff In Comics: 9-21-15

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a look at the other Best Stuff you might have missed...this week.

There may be some teeny tiny spoilers below.

STAR WARS #9

Best Rooftop Chase

Luke Skywalker had to go to a pretty shady place. While trying to get some information to help him on his current mini-quest, someone stole his lightsaber. The chase is on!

No Caption Provided

Best Use of Pee Wee Herman’s Break Up Line

When a woman from Han Solo's past comes into the picture, it turns out she planned on turning in Princess Leia to the Empire to collect a reward. When she tries to get Han to go along with her, he says something that reminiscent to that line Pee Wee Herman told Dotty in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

No Caption Provided

Here's the scene if you haven't seen it or don't remember.

ROBIN SON OF BATMAN #4

Best Fight Sequence

We featured the fight between Damian Wayne and Deathstroke in this week's Best Battles. I think most can agree that while Damian is highly skilled and agile, going up against Deathstroke is pretty nuts. It is his size and agility that allows him to last as long as he does. We get to see a pretty cool sequence during the fight.

No Caption Provided

Best Way to End a Fight with Deathstroke

We've mentioned that there may be slight spoilers. There will be a small one here with the battle between Damian and Deathstroke.

What's the best way to defeat Deathstroke? Pay him.

No Caption Provided

HOUSE OF M #3

Magneto’s Best Choice for a Favorite Child

For those with more than one child, you can't really choose your favorite. For Magneto in the House of M world, it's a little different. Never mind the confusing fact that two of his kids may not be his kids (or even mutants), Polaris has been there for him and actually helps safe his butt.

No Caption Provided

AGENT CARTER: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1

Best Use of the Asgardian Way of Saying Someone’s Name

The Asgardians have an interesting way of addressing mortals with their names. When Sif meets Peggy Carter and Dum Dum Dugan, Peggy really gets a kick out of it.

No Caption Provided

TOKYO GHOST #1

Best Death Race Scene

In Rick Remender and Sean Murphy's TOKYO GHOST, we get to see the future world and how things have changed. Now we don't necessarily condone death races but it is pretty cool to see Murphy draw one happening in the background.

No Caption Provided

BATMAN 66 Chapter 69

Best Meal to Offer Batman and Robin if They Drop By

Batman and Robin are looking for Waylon Jones. When they arrive at a lady-friend of his, she mentions if she'd known they were coming, she would've made fondue. Who doesn't love fondue?

No Caption Provided

ALL-NEW HAWKEYE #4

Best Punch

Kate Bishop and Clint Barton get along for the most part. They may have gotten themselves in a little over their heads when they rescued some highly dangerous kids that were being experimented on. When Clint isn't quite so delicate with his choice of words describing the kids, she attempts to correct him.

No Caption Provided

THE PAYBACKS #1

Best Name for a Signal Light for a Knight-themed Hero

In this world, there is a hero in London that goes by the name of Night Knight. Similar to a certain other character we know, he has his own signal light when he is needed. It has a pretty catchy name too.

No Caption Provided

His trusty steed has a cool name as well.

Best Reason to use Contractions

The Paybacks deal with collecting from heroes that take out loans to fund their endeavors. You can imagine being a superhero isn't cheap. We see one member, The Soviet Nunchuck, try to learn the English language with his joking teammate, Bloodpouch. Sometimes contractions just make things sound better.

No Caption Provided

LANDO #4

Best Name for a Moon

Lando Calrissian's current gig could land him a lot of credits. How much? Enough to buy a moon. The question of what would he call the moon is answered.

No Caption Provided

HARLEY QUINN #20

Best Strangest Flight

Witch each issue of HARLEY QUINN, you can never be too sure what to expect. This issue opens up with a rather interesting flight and Harley as the flight attendant.

No Caption Provided

Don't worry, things are not always as they seem.

Best Reason to Actually Apologize when You’re at Fault

Have you ever had your luggage lost? Have you ever been at the mercy of an establishment that just can't seem to sympathize for what you're going through even though it's completely their fault? Harley has to deal with getting an "apology" for her troubles.

No Caption Provided

When this lady rolls her eyes while actually offering the apology...well, it's not a pretty sight what happens after.

That's it this week. Let us know in the comments below what other Best Stuff you dug this past week. Thanks to @djfanco and @Jawshco for their suggestions! If you want to participate or felt we missed some other Best Stuff, don't complain, especially if you didn't offer any suggestions. Each week you can @reply me on Twitter a @GManFromHeck by Saturdays using the hashtag #BestStuffInComics. We'll give you a shout out and I'll think you're pretty groovy.

Be sure to always look for the best stuff and always be sure to always offer a sincere apology if you, or the company you represent, is at fault for making things miserable for someone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 0

I swear every single time I see a scan of the Hawkeye series, it's always kate humiliating him somehow

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

You know what if ppl gonna offer you an apology they better make sure to actually say an apology

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night Knight? with his Knight Light on his Knight Mare? so cheesy, yet so cool...

(although having to be named Night Knight to make it all work may not be worth it in the long run)

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Kokemabb200

@theacidskull: A few writers have the notion writing "strong women" in their books entails having the female characters emasculate the male characters.

Same thing happened to Odin over Thor losing his hammer. Aaron just had Freja insulting him, or referring to his buffoonery every time someone mentioned him or they were together, DC does a much better job of portraying their female leads as badass and competent without making it seem like they're serving an agenda.

DC just tries to write "good characters" whereas Marvel right now is trying to write "good ____ characters". Jane Foster isn't a good character, no, she's a good female character so they try to stress the fact that she's a woman as much as possible. Bobby Drake isn't meant to be a good character, he's meant to be a good gay character. That's why Bendis couldn't develop his sexuality through narrative and self-growth. Nah, they just hit you over the head with it.

My favorite characters are Marvel (Black Panther/Moon Knight/Cyclops), but DC does their diversity much better. Like with Simon Baz and David Zavimbe.. it genuinely felt like they worked on fleshing out three dimensional characters. And they've been doing Wonder Woman expertly for years.

Anyone, that was my rant. Sorry.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The paying off deathstroke bit was great

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: A few writers have the notion writing "strong women" in their books entails having the female characters emasculate the male characters.

Same thing happened to Odin over Thor losing his hammer. Aaron just had Freja insulting him, or referring to his buffoonery every time someone mentioned him or they were together, DC does a much better job of portraying their female leads as badass and competent without making it seem like they're serving an agenda.

DC just tries to write "good characters" whereas Marvel right now is trying to write "good ____ characters". Jane Foster isn't a good character, no, she's a good female character so they try to stress the fact that she's a woman as much as possible. Bobby Drake isn't meant to be a good character, he's meant to be a good gay character. That's why Bendis couldn't develop his sexuality through narrative and self-growth. Nah, they just hit you over the head with it.

My favorite characters are Marvel (Black Panther/Moon Knight/Cyclops), but DC does their diversity much better. Like with Simon Baz and David Zavimbe.. it genuinely felt like they worked on fleshing out three dimensional characters. And they've been doing Wonder Woman expertly for years.

As much as a marvel fanboy i am

You are absolutely right

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole "hero pays off the mercenary bad guy when he can't actually beat him in a fight" routine is a bit overused and edging towards stale at this point.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Same thing happened to Odin over Thor losing his hammer. Aaron just had Freja insulting him, or referring to his buffoonery every time someone mentioned him or they were together...

On the other hand, Odin in that series is being written exactly as Freya tends to describe him; an old fashioned patriarch with no respect for women or the opinions of others. Like we saw him willing to burn Earth to a crisp to keep it from the Serpent, and now he's practically handed him the keys to Asgards armory and elevated him to his closest advisor.

Reminds me again how different Odin is these days when compared to how JMS wrote him (what little he did that is).

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or does it look like The Black Panther is guest starring in Lando # 4?

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kokemabb200

@outside_85: Odin was scared for Thor. He knew that if the Serpent rose his son would have to die, THAT is why he was so angry at Thor for wanting to protect Earth, He would rather have the Earth die than see his son get killed. A lot of fathers share that same sentiment, except none are like Odin and have the power to act on it. He wasn't being stupid, he was just being a father. He has never been a man to outwardly show his emotions, but he shows he loves his son in other ways.

When have you ever read a comic where Odin said, "no, I won't listen to you because you're a woman"?? or "no, I don't want women fighting beside me"?? Never. He isn't sexist at all, he's just hardset on his perspective and ideas. He fights with anyone who goes against what he believes, regardless of their sex. He isn't just an "average guy", he is one of the strongest Skyfathers in existence, and a god among gods, he's outlived stars and fought in thousands of wars, he's also renowned for his wisdom. If he disagrees with someone it's because he has every right to.

He's also absurdly progressive so I'm unsure where you're pulling the sexist angle from. When Loki became a woman he didn't make any fuss of it, every time we seem him interact with Lady Sif or Valkyrie he treats them exactly as he treats any of the Warriors Three or even Thor.

When he left to guard his brother "until the end of time" it was so he wouldn't return and unleash Jörmungandr on midgard again, that was extremely self-sacrificing of him. He only came back because he said that Cur had rehabilitated, and Cur acted exactly like Odin said he would and never stepped out of line once.

If you want to comment on the stupidity of a character trusting someone they ought not to, what about Freyja putting the future of Asgard into the hands of an evil Loki?? It even shows that because of her Asgard falls in the future when he becomes "King Loki". So no.

Matt Fraction was doing a great job of writing her as the All-Mother but Aaron turned her into a petulant, bitter housewife. Odin was never portrayed as sexist until Aaron wanted to make him an antagonist and pulled the chauvinist BS angle out of thin air because the book only serves to foster paper thin one-note cliche characterizations of characters.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: 1) Odin was scared for Thor. He knew that if the Serpent rose his son would have to die, THAT is why he was so angry at Thor for wanting to protect Earth, He would rather have the Earth die than see his son get killed. A lot of fathers share that same sentiment, except none are like Odin and have the power to act on it. He wasn't being stupid, he was just being a father. He has never been a man to outwardly show his emotions, but he shows he loves his son in other ways.

2) When have you ever read a comic where Odin said, "no, I won't listen to you because you're a woman"?? or "no, I don't want women fighting beside me"?? Never. He isn't sexist at all, he's just hardset on his perspective and ideas. He fights with anyone who goes against what he believes, regardless of their sex. He isn't just an "average guy", he is one of the strongest Skyfathers in existence, and a god among gods, he's outlived stars and fought in thousands of wars, he's also renowned for his wisdom. If he disagrees with someone it's because he has every right to.

3) He's also absurdly progressive so I'm unsure where you're pulling the sexist angle from. When Loki became a woman he didn't make any fuss of it, every time we seem him interact with Lady Sif or Valkyrie he treats them exactly as he treats any of the Warriors Three or even Thor.

4) When he left to guard his brother "until the end of time" it was so he wouldn't return and unleash Jörmungandr on midgard again, that was extremely self-sacrificing of him. He only came back because he said that Cul had rehabilitated, and Cul acted exactly like Odin said he would and never stepped out of line once.

5) If you want to comment on the stupidity of a character trusting someone they ought not to, what about Freyja putting the future of Asgard into the hands of an evil Loki?? It even shows that because of her Asgard falls in the future when he becomes "King Loki". So no.

6) Matt Fraction was doing a great job of writing her as the All-Mother but Aaron turned her into a petulant, bitter housewife. Odin was never portrayed as sexist until Aaron wanted to make him an antagonist and pulled the chauvinist BS angle out of thin air because the book only serves to foster paper thin one-note cliche characterizations of characters.

1) Except the fear for Thor's life wasn't what drove him back then, it was the power that Cul would have if he managed to build his powerbase back to the level he once had.

2) When he came back and swiftly deposed of the All-Mother that he had left in power when he departed Earth. He didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the matter, he just came in and booted them out of the throneroom; because he was Odin. And why didn't anyone oppose him? Like you said; he's Odin, prone to bouts of rage and has access to more power than most can dream of. His wisdom, in these days, not really, and a huge amount of stuff that Thor has to deal with today tend to be mistakes and past actions Odin made centuries ago and conveniently neglected to tell anyone about.

3) I am going to call bull on part of that. Because Odin was dead and fighting Surtur the entirety of the time Loki was walking around in Sif's body. As for the others; you are right he treats them the same: as inferiors, for him to order about.

4) See I quite clearly remember Fear Itself ending with Cul's and Thor's mutual death as it was foretold it would, Cul however is not the Midgard Serpent and it wasn't Ragnarok. As for Odin, he left with the corpse to guard, as you said, but also because he realized he wasn't fit to rule neither over Earth or in Asgard, because he would have destroyed both if others hadn't intervened. As for Cul's rehabilitation... yeah and pigs fly, that god is about as rehabilitated as Loki is, difference is that Odin is the only one who believes in that particular line of bull.

5) I never said other characters didn't make poor or even stupid choices, that Loki is still alive after all these years is a testament to that. It's just that in Odin's case he is a repeated offender and now he is just doing it all over again. Btw, the evil King Loki timeline, wasn't that nullified when young Loki didn't feel like playing that particular game?

6) Fraction however wrote Odin as an petulant angry old bastard that needed to get smacked over the back of the head with a hammer before he stopped with some truly stupid plans. Also Fraction was the guy who came up with a rather incomplete way of brining Odin back to life. See in JMS' run, Thor offered to bring Odin back to life, but he declined so that he could keep Surtur dead with him. In Fraction's mind, however there was no need for Odin to remain dead, because Surtur couldn't find his way back anyways, not without a light to lead him.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By NightFang3
@kokemabb200 said:

QFTW!!!

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kokemabb200

@outside_85:

1) Except the fear for Thor's life wasn't what drove him back then, it was the power that Cul would have if he managed to build his powerbase back to the level he once had.

Except, here's a scan of Odin saying he's doing everything he's done to escape the prophecy. He obviously didn;t want Cul to get stronger, but he was acting in the best interest of his son

No Caption Provided

2) When he came back and swiftly deposed of the All-Mother that he had left in power when he departed Earth. He didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the matter, he just came in and booted them out of the throneroom; because he was Odin. And why didn't anyone oppose him? Like you said; he's Odin, prone to bouts of rage and has access to more power than most can dream of. His wisdom, in these days, not really, and a huge amount of stuff that Thor has to deal with today tend to be mistakes and past actions Odin made centuries ago and conveniently neglected to tell anyone about.

Because Odin is the King of Asgard. It isn't a title earned, it's his birthright. Just as Bor was king and Thor is destined to be King. Asgard is a traditional monarchy not a democracy, and the King will rule. You're also glossing over the fact that he left his title to three women while he was gone, how sexist of him eh? It's also not the council of all-mothers that were upset by Odin's return, just Freyja who seems like she's deeply entrenched in delusions of grandeur at this point. You also should realize that she has no claim to the throne whatsoever beyond Odin allowing her rule, she isn't even Asgardian, or Thor's real mother. It makes no sense why she feels so entitled.

3) I am going to call bull on part of that. Because Odin was dead and fighting Surtur the entirety of the time Loki was walking around in Sif's body. As for the others; you are right he treats them the same: as inferiors, for him to order about.

The panel I was thinking of was recent, when he refers to his child that is both his daughter and son, and says he loves them all. --Original Sin: Thor and Loki #5

And yes, he treats everyone the same, how can you say that as though it is a bad thing? The Asgardians have an established monarchy and Odin is at the top. He's not Jesus, there's no reason for the character to lower himself to his subjects, however he doesn't take advantage of them or demean them. He just trusts himself above anyone else.

4) See I quite clearly remember Fear Itself ending with Cul's and Thor's mutual death as it was foretold it would, Cul however is not the Midgard Serpent and it wasn't Ragnarok. As for Odin, he left with the corpse to guard, as you said, but also because he realized he wasn't fit to rule neither over Earth or in Asgard, because he would have destroyed both if others hadn't intervened. As for Cul's rehabilitation... yeah and pigs fly, that god is about as rehabilitated as Loki is, difference is that Odin is the only one who believes in that particular line of bull.

Cul was the "Serpent" and Thor fighting him would be in line with the prophecy still, that's what Odin was trying to prevent. Also you're purely speculating that Cul isn't reformed. Comicvine says feats count above everything else and Cul has acted appropriately since his arrival. You can't use the probability that he'll backslide in the future as an argument against Odin, this isn't Minority Report. And Feyja easily trusted the "god of lies". Who's dumber?

6) Fraction however wrote Odin as an petulant angry old bastard that needed to get smacked over the back of the head with a hammer before he stopped with some truly stupid plans. Also Fraction was the guy who came up with a rather incomplete way of brining Odin back to life. See in JMS' run, Thor offered to bring Odin back to life, but he declined so that he could keep Surtur dead with him. In Fraction's mind, however there was no need for Odin to remain dead, because Surtur couldn't find his way back anyways, not without a light to lead him.

Odin was never petulant. Odin is proud, but Fraction also showed Odin as a father and a stern but fair ruler. He genuinely cares for his son and goes out of his way to protect him, don't act like Thor is a meek little child in front of Odin, both are equally prideful. Odin's power and age makes humans seem like ants to him, that's why he's always upset by Thor spending his time on Earth. Thor is a prince and has duties on Asgard but spends his time on Earth risking his life for these creature that must look pathetically insignificant to Odin, but that's only because unlike Thor and the Silver Surfer in a similar sense, he's never become accustomed the notion of humanity and why human life is important.

5) I never said other characters didn't make poor or even stupid choices, that Loki is still alive after all these years is a testament to that. It's just that in Odin's case he is a repeated offender and now he is just doing it all over again. Btw, the evil King Loki timeline, wasn't that nullified when young Loki didn't feel like playing that particular game?

If Old King Thor is still living in a destroyed Asgard (which he is) then no, Loki's future timeline was not erased. Tell me how Odin is a repeat offender? Similar to how the All-Mother's made Malekith the king of Svartalheim and he's now trying to conquer all ten realms? Or maybe like how they trusted an evil Loki that ensures the death of Asgard and Midgard?

I absolutely loved Aaron's run on "God of Thunder" and he has one of my favorite runs on "Wolverine" as well. My problem isn't with Jason Aaron. It's with Marvel's push to be more inclusive--which is great--but their lazy approach to accomplishing their goal. There's no development, they just try to push whatever they're selling as loudly as possible and call it a day, instead of building a strong character that's a woman. They just have Thor basically yelling "girl-power" every other panel and paint the character's that disagree with her as sexist caricatures.

This type of writing is just cringeworthy:

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Kinda some really meh picks this week (but that's probably just because comics this week may have been kinda boring)

I do like that pic of all the DC heroes on a plane. Reminds me why of one of the reasons like DC so much, the cool, colorful, and heroic costumes.

DrOdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kokemabb200: Agree 100%. Why lower male heroes to elevate female heroes. Spend some time on story development.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

did a 6 year old do this

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

@kokemabb200 said:

Same thing happened to Odin over Thor losing his hammer. Aaron just had Freyja insulting him, or referring to his buffoonery every time someone mentioned him or they were together, DC does a much better job of portraying their female leads as badass and competent without making it seem like they're serving an agenda.

No Caption Provided

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stellar421

@kokemabb200 said:

DC till I die

No Caption Provided

Cyclops is also my favorite X-Men. I don't care if people think he's boring, he's the MAN.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I laughed when all Damian had to do was pay Deathstroke.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or does it look like The Black Panther is guest starring in Lando # 4?

Thought the same thing.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... how does Harley, one of the most recognizable wanted individuals, book a flight, let alone board the plane?

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kokemabb200 said:

I'll be the guy on the other side of this saying that I don't think this stands for Kate Bishop. While I really enjoy Jane Foster as a character I won't deny I have my problems with how Aaron writes that book at times. I won't touch the Bobby Drake character talk just because I don't exactly accept it in my head cannon, but if I had to make a decisive stance on it, it did feel abrupt and at least Tony Stark's transformation into Superior Iron Man was grounded in the fact that he's been known to be a douche on several accounts.

The thing is I've always looked at Kate as someone who recognized that she was mature for her age but was trying to reconcile that with the fact that the mantle that she had taken over was originally held by a man-child. Clint is an idiot and that's something I love about Fraction's run on Hawkeye, and that I feel Lemire is transferring over to his current run. If we're looking at Fraction he establishes that Kate is kind of still growing into her own and she couldn't handle seeing Clint not having grown up himself. In That run Clint is destructive, pushes people away and genuinely just doesn't act like someone who Kate feels should be her example of how a professional hero should be. After leaving, kind of failing on her own and coming back we've seen that even with the maturity level that she has she's still pretty naive as to how things in the world work but she's seeing some growth in Clint towards the end of that Fraction run.

Lemire digs right into the unresolved issues with these first five issues of his stint on the characters setting up this great divide between the two. Kate is trying to do something that she objectively knows is right, but Clint is actually being somewhat of an adult and looking at things with a level head. That punch is taken out of context, but as it stands Kate has been seeing this guy make terrible choices for quite some time, and when she needs him to be on her side it looks like he's falling back into those terrible choices he always makes. The punch is her not being mature enough to find another way to deal with things. The TL;DR: to me this isn't a statement of Kate being a strong female character, but really this is Lemire showing that she still has a bit of maturing to do. Kate's lashing out at the only person who's been there for her recently, who she thought would be on her side, who she needed to be on her side but inevitably let her down. But that's just what I've taken from it.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

I love Marvel to buddy, but I can admit that most of the writers over there simply do not grasp the concept of subtlety.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Star Wars, Son of Batman, and Harley Quinn were pretty good.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear lord, that's terrible. Waaay too "in your face." How about writing women like normal people, Marvel? I've never seen Mystique back down from a fight with a new X-Gal.

Avatar image for pokemondefender
PokemonDefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might actually pick up Harley.

She's like DC's Deadpool, except much easier on the eyes.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby said:

Thought the same thing.

I think it's pretty clear now that Lando was the first Black Panther

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those were good

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I just had tea I take Harley please :)

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear every single time I see a scan of the Hawkeye series, it's always kate humiliating him somehow

That's why you should read the comic most of the things I see on here are out of context. Like that one panel where she says "Bitch!" she isn't referring to Clint at all. This one she does actually punch him but he isn't exactly fighting her more so she hits him out of anger and he just takes it.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HandOfPrometheus

It's obvious Magneto prefers Lorna over his other children. She doesn't do dumb things.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harley quinn looks like a deadpool rip off

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Lady Thor still dissapoints everyone.

How long until Marvel drops the gimmick?

Zwm210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@kokemabb200: i'm not still reading Green Lantern, but are they even still using Simon Baz? I thought they just stopped writing for him because i haven't seen him in any solicitations.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumblebee, no!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kokemabb200 said:

Dear lord, that's terrible. Waaay too "in your face." How about writing women like normal people, Marvel? I've never seen Mystique back down from a fight with a new X-Gal.

Oh god. That's just horrendous

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GalacticFork

@kokemabb200 said:

@outside_85: Odin was scared for Thor. He knew that if the Serpent rose his son would have to die, THAT is why he was so angry at Thor for wanting to protect Earth, He would rather have the Earth die than see his son get killed. A lot of fathers share that same sentiment, except none are like Odin and have the power to act on it. He wasn't being stupid, he was just being a father. He has never been a man to outwardly show his emotions, but he shows he loves his son in other ways.

When have you ever read a comic where Odin said, "no, I won't listen to you because you're a woman"?? or "no, I don't want women fighting beside me"?? Never. He isn't sexist at all, he's just hardset on his perspective and ideas. He fights with anyone who goes against what he believes, regardless of their sex. He isn't just an "average guy", he is one of the strongest Skyfathers in existence, and a god among gods, he's outlived stars and fought in thousands of wars, he's also renowned for his wisdom. If he disagrees with someone it's because he has every right to.

He's also absurdly progressive so I'm unsure where you're pulling the sexist angle from. When Loki became a woman he didn't make any fuss of it, every time we seem him interact with Lady Sif or Valkyrie he treats them exactly as he treats any of the Warriors Three or even Thor.

When he left to guard his brother "until the end of time" it was so he wouldn't return and unleash Jörmungandr on midgard again, that was extremely self-sacrificing of him. He only came back because he said that Cur had rehabilitated, and Cur acted exactly like Odin said he would and never stepped out of line once.

If you want to comment on the stupidity of a character trusting someone they ought not to, what about Freyja putting the future of Asgard into the hands of an evil Loki?? It even shows that because of her Asgard falls in the future when he becomes "King Loki". So no.

Matt Fraction was doing a great job of writing her as the All-Mother but Aaron turned her into a petulant, bitter housewife. Odin was never portrayed as sexist until Aaron wanted to make him an antagonist and pulled the chauvinist BS angle out of thin air because the book only serves to foster paper thin one-note cliche characterizations of characters.

Can you point to a page where either Odin was portrayed by Aaron as sexist or when Freyja accused him of being sexist during this Thor run? She accused him of being a despot. (Which he is... Surely someone who is willing to destroy a planet to protect his son is rather despotic.) But none of his actions in the latest run had anything to do with her being a woman. It had to do with him being pissed that someone took his son's birthright, and he was willing to go to extremes to put things right.

I'm also not sure where she emasculated Odin. She disagreed with him. And was vocal about her disagreement. But I'd hardly considering anything she did "emasculating."

Because Odin is the King of Asgard. It isn't a title earned, it's his birthright. Just as Bor was king and Thor is destined to be King. Asgard is a traditional monarchy not a democracy, and the King will rule. You're also glossing over the fact that he left his title to three women while he was gone, how sexist of him eh? It's also not the council of all-mothers that were upset by Odin's return, just Freyja who seems like she's deeply entrenched in delusions of grandeur at this point. You also should realize that she has no claim to the throne whatsoever beyond Odin allowing her rule, she isn't even Asgardian, or Thor's real mother. It makes no sense why she feels so entitled.

Perhaps she's tired of the rule simply being by birthright? It's not like kings have never been overthrown ever. The concept isn't exactly foreign. So saying it makes no sense is kinda silly.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Outside_85

1) Except, here's a scan of Odin saying he's doing everything he's done to escape the prophecy. He obviously didn;t want Cul to get stronger, but he was acting in the best interest of his son

2) Because Odin is the King of Asgard. It isn't a title earned, it's his birthright. Just as Bor was king and Thor is destined to be King. Asgard is a traditional monarchy not a democracy, and the King will rule. 2.1)You're also glossing over the fact that he left his title to three women while he was gone, how sexist of him eh? It's also not the council of all-mothers that were upset by Odin's return, just Freyja who seems like she's deeply entrenched in delusions of grandeur at this point. 2.2) You also should realize that she has no claim to the throne whatsoever beyond Odin allowing her rule, she isn't even Asgardian, or Thor's real mother. It makes no sense why she feels so entitled.

3) The panel I was thinking of was recent, when he refers to his child that is both his daughter and son, and says he loves them all. --Original Sin: Thor and Loki #5

And yes, he treats everyone the same, how can you say that as though it is a bad thing? The Asgardians have an established monarchy and Odin is at the top. He's not Jesus, there's no reason for the character to lower himself to his subjects, however he doesn't take advantage of them or demean them. He just trusts himself above anyone else.

4) Cul was the "Serpent" and Thor fighting him would be in line with the prophecy still, that's what Odin was trying to prevent. Also you're purely speculating that Cul isn't reformed. Comicvine says feats count above everything else and Cul has acted appropriately since his arrival. You can't use the probability that he'll backslide in the future as an argument against Odin, this isn't Minority Report. And Feyja easily trusted the "god of lies". Who's dumber?

5) Odin was never petulant. Odin is proud, but Fraction also showed Odin as a father and a stern but fair ruler. He genuinely cares for his son and goes out of his way to protect him, don't act like Thor is a meek little child in front of Odin, both are equally prideful. Odin's power and age makes humans seem like ants to him, that's why he's always upset by Thor spending his time on Earth. Thor is a prince and has duties on Asgard but spends his time on Earth risking his life for these creature that must look pathetically insignificant to Odin, but that's only because unlike Thor and the Silver Surfer in a similar sense, he's never become accustomed the notion of humanity and why human life is important.

6) If Old King Thor is still living in a destroyed Asgard (which he is) then no, Loki's future timeline was not erased. Tell me how Odin is a repeat offender? Similar to how the All-Mother's made Malekith the king of Svartalheim and he's now trying to conquer all ten realms? Or maybe like how they trusted an evil Loki that ensures the death of Asgard and Midgard?

7) I absolutely loved Aaron's run on "God of Thunder" and he has one of my favorite runs on "Wolverine" as well. My problem isn't with Jason Aaron. It's with Marvel's push to be more inclusive--which is great--but their lazy approach to accomplishing their goal. There's no development, they just try to push whatever they're selling as loudly as possible and call it a day, instead of building a strong character that's a woman. They just have Thor basically yelling "girl-power" every other panel and paint the character's that disagree with her as sexist caricatures.

8) This type of writing is just cringeworthy:

1) Except we don't know which prophecy he is actually talking about here. Unless it's actually stated elsewhere it's the one that outlines the death of Thor, it might as well be one that vaguely outlines that Cul would one day sit on the throne of Asgard (which he did, just not Odin's Asgard). If that was the case, it would not be because of Thor Odin was acting this way, it would be out of fear of his own life and power (not to mention Odin should, with his long association with the Norns, know you can't outrun destiny, that was something that was pretty central to how 'his world' saw life).

2) A king is only as strong as his power, and he is easily unseated with the help of a knife or an army, take a look at Britan's royal line as an example, Odin is no different. 2.1) Because at the end of Fear Itself Odin realized new and different hands were needed to lead his people on. He had seen both Thor and Balder continue his ways, so he left it to a maginalized group within Asgardian society. With his return however, it's just changed because the All-Mother wouldn't resist his return to the throne the same way someone like Thor would. 2.2) If you leave someone as the undisputed ruler of a nation, you don't have the option of 'in case I return', like you said Asgard is a monarchy, you cannot simply unseat a king or a queen, you shouldn't expect them to go away quietly any more than you would expect Odin to do so if Bor suddenly returned.

3) Which I might point out could have been a reference to Angela. Even when Loki was walking around in Sif's body, he never identified himself as female other than to keep up the charade.

Because that way of running things is guaranteed to make him a lot of enemies within his own house. Think of him a bit like Stalin during his later years, everyone was terrified of him because they knew he could at a moments notice find some flaw in them that revealed they were western spies or plotting against him. Odin may not be that paranoid, but the sheer power he has puts him in the same category. And yes, he does actually demean them, and he does so every-time he cant be bothered with using either their names or honouring their earned titles. Like he doesn't call Freya by her name, he doesn't call her 'my queen' or 'my wife', its always 'woman'. It's the same with Thor quite often, it's not 'son', it's not 'prince', it's 'boy'. Odin in recent years has been written as having the perception that he is the only adult around and the everyone else in Asgard, no matter how many thousands of years they've been around, are just children in comparison.

Also, you many want to consider that one member of the All-Mother is an Elder Goddess and quite possibly the oldest being in existence.

4) Yet, when he turned, Cul turned into a dragon of all things... thats not a serpent. Not to mention we all know the Midgard Serpent is the one Thor will die fighting, and that it is a separate character that's existed long before Odin's third brother showed up. It's not so much speculating when everyone on the pages asides Odin also do it, not to mention Cul isn't acting like he has changed one bit, he is just following Odin around because it suits him.

As for Freya, look, everyone in Asgard knows Loki is a snake, but they've been around him, fought alongside and against him for so long that they all know how he works; which means they know how to manipulate him in the right direction.

5) And this is kinda wrong, again. Odin still claims to be the creator of humanity in Marvel, he created them, he buried his father to protect them. What he didn't realize was that it was no longer his place to lord over them. And yes, he is petulant, because he will only see things his way, and he throws a great big fit if anyone disagrees with him, and its the shouting and punching kinds of fits he throws, not just growling.

6) The future in Marvel isn't set in stone, it never has been, just ask the X-Men... especially Rachel Grey, Cable and Bishop, all of which are from different time-lines. An Old King Thor may still be out there living in that time-line, but in the one next to it, he's dead a million years ago. Odin is a repeated offender in the case of first letting Loki into his house and seemingly never finding a way to curb him. Now he's let Cul into his house, another snake he hasn't bothered de-fanging.

7) Mjolnir changing hands was probably not Aaron's choice, Thor loosing it didn't take place in his book after all, but it may however have been his choice to let it go to Jane. As a writer, for him it's just another challenge. As for her yelling 'girl-power'... honestly I don't see that, not from her at least. Other people react that way because they know Asgard is a very male-dominated society, they have the power and do all the heavy lifting, people like Valkyrie and Sif are just oddities. And Odin is just playing into that perception because he was willing to kill her, regardless of the enchantment on it, because he doesn't know her and because she's a woman. (See how often he's thrown a fit when another man has lifted it).

Plus, it's not like Thor (the real one) has actually gone anywhere or stopped being a hero, he just has an axe, leaves his shirt at home and rides a goat.

8) On that we agree.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#41  Edited By The Impersonator

Comic Memes.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Stellar421

@stellar421 said:
@kokemabb200 said:

Oh god. That's just horrendous

On top of that, the writer doesn't notice that he's actually insulting Thor. Titania's all like "I don't think a female Thor can handle Crusher, so I'll help her out. Girl power!"

Avatar image for redlantern_darkknight
Redlantern_darkknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of people find Harley overexposed and underdeveloped but I like her. I think she's fun. Simple fun.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone give this guy a medal ^