The Best Stuff In Comics: 12-28-15

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Every week, we take a look at some of the most bizarre, exciting, and downright unique things to happen in comics. Check out our choices below of the strange and wacky things that shouldn't be overlooked from this week's releases.

There may be some teeny tiny spoilers below.

EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #4

Best Description of Young Jean and Old Man Logan’s Relationship

We recently talked about the weird relationship between young Jean Grey and Old Man Logan. In their normal timelines, there was always a bit of tension and attraction between the two. Now that we have the younger version of Jean from the past and an older version of Logan from an alternate future, we're glad to see we're not the only ones that think it might be a little weird thanks to Iceman.

No Caption Provided

Best Battle Cry

Things are usually pretty rough for the X-Men. These days they've become sterile and are facing extinction due to the release of the Terrigen Mists on the planet. There's also an M-pox outbreak going around causing illness. Storm is leading this team and her new battlecry shows it's time to get right down to business.

No Caption Provided

ROBIN, SON OF BATMAN #7

Best Stupid Plan of the Week

In the middle of the Robin War, the We Are Robins kids plus Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne have been captured by the Court of Owls. Damian has a plan to help them escape during a fight with a bunch of Talons. Tim and Jason assume it'll be something stupid.

No Caption Provided

PATSY WALKER AKA HELLCAT #1

Best Character Recap

Who is Patsy Walker? What's her backstory? If you weren't aware (or didn't read her bio page here on Comic Vine), there's a nice and handy recap in her first issue.

No Caption Provided

Best/Worst Supervillain Name

Coming up with a superhero or supervillain name can't be easy these days. Everything is taken and you really need something unique that will stand out from the rest and also describe your abilities. A new character, Ian Soo, has telekinesis and comes up with "TelekinIAN."

No Caption Provided

BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #12

Best ‘What the Hell?’ Moment

Harper Row hasn't had too much experience in the superhero business. While with Dick Grayson, they went through quite a bit at a villains' secret hideout. It turns out it was all in their minds.

No Caption Provided

DARTH VADER #14

Best Character Mash-Up

We've seen Commander Karbin appear before and you just have to marvel over the fact he looks like a cross between Admiral Ackbar, General Grievous, and has a lightsaber similar to Mace Windu.

No Caption Provided

AQUAMAN #47

Best New Ride for Batman

Batman always has the coolest vehicles. Sometimes he rides on other cool things like dragons-type creatures.

No Caption Provided

NEW AVENGERS #4

Best Magazine Title

What magazine does Squirrel Girl read? Just be careful how you pronounce it.

No Caption Provided

TEEN TITANS #15

Best Female Beast Ape with a Snake Tail and Wonder Bra

Professor Pyg is up to his old games again. He's trying to transform innocents and this time he used some of Beast Boy's blood to create a strange creature. Thankfully it's the only one this week.

No Caption Provided

ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #3

Best Reason to Rethink Taking on Someone Else’s Mantle

You'd have to be a little nuts to think you could take the place of an iconic character like Captain America. Sam Wilson has been doing a good job but he shouldn't be surprised when some people, like Scott Lang, still don't see him officially as Captain America.

No Caption Provided

Best Way to Sound Like Captain America

During their team-up, it does sound like Sam is starting to get the hang of being Captain America.

No Caption Provided

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #6

Best Reason Not to Ask, “Best You Got?”

We all know Superman is as tough as they come. While fighting a bunch of Rao's goons, he asks if that's the best he has.

No Caption Provided

You can probably guess what's going to happen next.

No Caption Provided

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #5

Best Reason Not to Eject Mockingbird From Your Transport Before a Mission

Last issue Spider-Man was about to go on a S.H.I.E.L.D. mission with Mockingbird. On the way there, he got a call from Aunt May just as her safety was being threatened. Spidey decided to abort the mission and ejected Mockingbird from his vehicle to race to his aunt's side. Bobbi wasn't happy with being forced to abort a mission and shows Peter in a way that even catches his spider-senses by surprise.

No Caption Provided

DEADLY CLASS #17

Best/Worst Cheerleaders

It's time for final exams at the King's Dominion School of the Deadly Arts. You can read more about what that means in this week's Best Battles HERE. During the big fight, we see some pretty nasty cheerleaders equipped with razor sharp pom-poms. You probably won't want them cheering for you.

No Caption Provided

ART OPS #3

Best Makeover for the Mona Lisa

In ART OPS, works of art can be brought to life. The characters in the art can be taken out and for their safety against thieves and whatnot. The Mona Lisa got bored sitting around a safe house and ended up being exposed to the punk scene.

No Caption Provided

DEADPOOL #4

Best Reason to Be Careful What You Say Around Your Employees

Deadpool has been using other mercenaries to do jobs in his name. It turned out there's someone impersonating him so he has his mercs wear different colored uniforms now. He just needs to choose his words more carefully around them.

No Caption Provided

DEATHSTROKE #13

Best Jazz Hands

You can also find out more about what went down in this issue HERE. While attacking Belle Reve, the authorities finally start to regain control over the place. When Harley is surrounded and told to freeze, she does it in a way only she would.

No Caption Provided

THE PAYBACKS #4

Best Rowdy Roddy Piper Reference

This isn't the first time we've had a Rowdy Roddy Piper reference in comics lately and hopefully it won't be the last. You know which line it's going to be, right?

No Caption Provided

VENOM: SPACE KNIGHT #2

Best Coworkers

If you're lucky, you have a job with some cool coworkers. Flash Thompson has some pretty cool ones and he gets to go out into space.

No Caption Provided

TITANS HUNT #3

Most Unfortunate Name

Poor Dick Grayson. I'm curious if anyone knows someone named Richard, or is named Richard, and goes by "Dick."

No Caption Provided

That's it this week. Let us know in the comments below what other Best Stuff you dug this past week. Big thanks to @Jawshco, @djfanco, and @mak13131313 for their suggestions! If you want to participate or felt we missed some other Best Stuff, don't complain, contribute! Especially if you didn't offer any suggestions. Each week you can @reply me on Twitter at @GManFromHeck by Saturdays using the hashtag#BestStuffInComics. We'll give you a shout out and I'll think you're pretty groovy.

Be sure to always look for the best stuff and always be sure to use a cool codename if you decide to be a superhero or supervillain.

Haloprogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

"That's unfortunate." hilarious! This week has been a good one. Can't wait for march to come around so we get to the #50's of the New 52! Really excited.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

How did you manage to select a winner in the:

"Best Female Beast Ape with a Snake Tail and Wonder Bra" category? So many to choose from! :P

Jazz Hands!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Man wish I could have gone to the store this week

Also glad to see someone else acknowledge Steve's perfect posture

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Actually I'm not strictly a mutant, according to these lawyers from Disney"

kryptronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummed the paybacks is done. Good stuff. Seemed to make this list with every issue.

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Spider-Man's Spider Sense supposed to be at a weakened state after that encounter with Morlun back in Spider-Verse?

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wait isn't Jim Gordon being Batman until #40? Why does it look like Bruce on the dinosaur?

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheExile285

Lots of good picks this week.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A Cyborg Admiral Ackbar lookalike with a Grievous like body and a purple lightsaber. And here I'd thought I'd seen everything in Star Wars comics.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By donmeca2020

@batman3000: i can never understand that... 3 books its bruce and in the main batman title it's jim Gordon.

Same with supes a few titles he's crew cut with t-shirt look sometimes he's not.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: not all the stories are happening at the same time.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eww. Do not tell me they are seriously going for the young Jean Grey/Old Man Logan thing.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Best Stupid Plan of the Week - well it was certainly stupid and Tim and Jason were right to call Damian out on it before they even knew his plan.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman goes back in time, Cap goes back in time. Cap rides a dinosaur, Batman rides a dinosaur.

These guys really need a year long crossover 'mini' series.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@batman3000: The Justice League of America book are all stories from the past.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman3000: And I just realized that scene was in Aquaman. The sad thing is I'm the one who recommended that one for this. Ha! In the Aquaman book it says this happens before Batman #40.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@lvenger said:

A Cyborg Admiral Ackbar lookalike with a Grievous like body and a purple lightsaber. And here I'd thought I'd seen everything in Star Wars comics.

Just wait for the Sith Lord Wookie that looks like the love child of Darth Vader and Yoda.... It's bound to happen sooner or later.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait isn't Jim Gordon being Batman until #40? Why does it look like Bruce on the dinosaur?

Continuity is sooooo difficult. We'll have every writer just randomly do their own thing.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank: @mak13131313: lol. Continuity is all over the place with DC now. Thanks for clearing that up.

SteamPunk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, now I really want to pick up Art Ops. I wasn't totally sold on the idea at first, but the mere idea/concept of a punk-rocker Mona Lisa alone is too good (i.e. hilariously awesome) to pass up.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: not all the stories are happening at the same time.

That's obvious..... for someone whom doesn't know that much of this comic book stuff im sure that would be very confusing for new readers.

a0040pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's one from me for Teen Titans #15

Best Apache Chief Impersonation

Tanya Spears shows off that she is a fan of the Apache Chief from the brilliant yet cheesy Superfriends TV Series. Or maybe it is one GIGANTIC coincidence.

No Caption Provided

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So why didn't Peter's Spider Sense warn him that Mockingbird was about to slug him? We've seen it warn him of attacks from people he considered friends before.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan Abnett is a great fit for the titans.

Moufino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Am i the only ome really annoyed by the tons of crossovers in All Diff Marvel? Like seriously, can we just have a solo Venom series?

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
Uncanny_XFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That is most unfortunate. LOL. Good stuff this week, like the DP one, and the Ant-Man one is sorta touching.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I want to get Ant-Man #4. Thanks for the share.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank: @batman3000: @mak13131313: In that issue Supes flies, has heat vision and super strength yet he is wearing his Truth clothes. No to mention Hal Jordan being a simple GL (no gauntlet). Question is why change Clark half-ass and not even change the others?

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal: Good question. You'll have to ask DC about that one.

Sirfizwhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sirfizwhiz

@lvenger: sad thing is, Grievous looked menacing, this guy..... no.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

@sirfizwhiz: He does look absurdly brilliant though in terms of the creativity of his design. Is he a Legends character first or a Disney canon character?

Sirfizwhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers