• 129 results
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

The Batman has been the source of much rumour as of late. Although never officially dated by Warner Bros., the upcoming solo film was expected to follow through on the praise Ben Affleck’s performance as the Dark Knight received from Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. With the added attention the film would likely garner having an Academy Award winner staring, writing, producing, and directing the film, hopes were undoubtedly high for the project. That plan has since changed.

Word broke recently that Affleck would no longer direct the film, and that Matt Reeves will be his likely successor. With directing and most of the writing responsibilities of his plate, things seemed to be looking up for the film with Affleck’s workload being cut considerably. However, the latest rumor points to him wanting to eliminate that workload altogether.

On the latest episode of Collider Movie Talk, host John Campea stated he has heard from three separate sources involved with Warner Bros. over the last four days that Affleck is looking to leave the role of Batman. Along with a warning to take what he’s heard with a grain of salt, Campea said:

“Ben Affleck, make no mistake, he wants out. He doesn’t want to be Batman anymore.”

Campea went on to say his sources tell him Affleck is in discussions with Warner Bros. to get out of his deal to continue playing the character, which includes The Batman, but if a deal cannot be reached in time, the solo film will be the last appearance he makes as the character.

Source

Don't know if this is true, especially with no particular source. If the DCEU precedes to be a sinking ship, then I think Affleck should depart instead of tarnishing his reputation. If the DCEU improves and rebuilds, I hope he stays on board. I'm sure that's how he'll determine whether or not he stays too (that's not to mention his contract.

Do you think this rumour is reliable?

#1 Posted by JediXMan (42477 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on, DCEU... it's getting harder and harder to defend you...

#2 Edited by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure this is false, seeing as how just the other day it was said he turned in the script for Batman and he along with other execs were pleased with it. Also for some reason Campea came out with this rumor and even said himself, "Don't report it." Like if you don't think anyone should report it, why even say and put it out there to begin with?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#3 Posted by amazing_webhead (9817 posts) - - Show Bio

god tonight sucks...

maybe if people didn't spend every spare ounce of brainpower to take literally every single goddamn opportunity to fling crap at the DCEU, even though the world already picked Marvel and there's no need to twist the knife so much, this wouldn't have happened

#4 Posted by RBT (27786 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't seem reliable or plausible.

#5 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (845 posts) - - Show Bio

I take all rumors with a grain of salt, but if we're entertaining it, I have to assume that Ben leaving the role would be a serious nail in the coffin of the DCEU, possibly whether they have a good replacement or not, but if they don't it's almost a sure thing that by not maintaining enough quality and rapport with possibly the single biggest draw of their films (I say possibly because Deadshot and Harley deserve their credit too), fans will potentially turn on WB and the DCEU because it's starting to feel more and more real that they're not going to turn this ship around.

Based on as much as you can perceive of Ben's behavior in interviews about the DCEU and stuff I'd lean to not believing it, however.

#6 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure this is false, seeing as how just the other day it was said he turned in the script for Batman and he along with other execs were pleased with it. Also for some reason Campea came out with this rumor and even said himself, "Don't report it." Like if you don't think anyone should report it, why even say and put it out there to begin with?

When did Campea say "don't report it?"

#7 Posted by rogueshadow (29252 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched Movie Talk earlier just to see this topic and Campea made it clear that it could be a load of bullsh*t because every time he's tried to break a scoop he turns out to be wrong.

If it is true though, I wouldn't be that surprised. After BvS/SS, if JL & the Batman solo film are badly received, he'll surely want to quit.

Moderator Online
#8 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh how the mighty have (maybe) fallen.

#9 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Youtube video. He's like, "This probably isn't true, so don't report it."

#10 Posted by The_Kidd (11967 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P DCEU

2013 - 2017

#11 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't trust Collider Talk. Especially, Campea.

#12 Edited by GoodFella (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha, MCU execs must me laughing their arses off right now along with the fans, oh DCEU, I feel so bad for you, Marvel won and they're just beating up your unconscious body at this point

#13 Posted by BruceRogers (17311 posts) - - Show Bio

Well can't say I blame him. Poor guy starred in a super hero flop for the second time and this was after he had his and everyone else's hopes up by claiming otherwise.

#14 Posted by King_Nomarch (2115 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#15 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@goodfella said:

Hahaha, MCU execs must me laughing their arses off right now along with the fans, oh DCEU, I feel so bad for you, Marvel won and they're just beating up your unconscious body at this point

Why would Marvel be laughing their ass of? This hatred from one company to another only exists in the mind of fanboys who want to entertain the idea of rivalry. It's been said before, but Marvel wouldn't benefit from DC failing at all. Why would they want the subgenre which they profit from to be associated with pieces of shits?

James Gunn (GoTG2) said he was excited to see Wonder Woman, and the director of WW said she couldn't wait to see GoTG2. Also, director of Doctor Strange defended Suicide Squad when the reviews came out.

#16 Posted by Shouvik89 (175 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Let's see if this actually turns out to be true.

#17 Posted by RavenVice01 (4408 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_kidd: I know what you mean. Batman v Superman was a pretty good indication of how bad the DCEU was going to turn out.

#18 Posted by Super_ninja (3580 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope he doesn't leave.

#19 Posted by OldBoy93 (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

it's too late for a massive reboot, sadly. IMO Warner Bros should just stop making superhero movies. i mean, BvS failed in CHINA!!! even chinese people (who love Transformers movies) noticed how bad that movie was.

#20 Posted by MonsterStomp (36757 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would Marvel be laughing their ass of? This hatred from one company to another only exists in the mind of fanboys who want to entertain the idea of rivalry.

You're right. Disney would just be laughing at WB.

#21 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldboy93 said:

it's too late for a massive reboot, sadly. IMO Warner Bros should just stop making superhero movies. i mean, BvS failed in CHINA!!! even chinese people (who love Transformers movies) noticed how bad that movie was.

Lol.

#22 Posted by DammeFavour (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: no proper sources. Just conjecture and speculations

#23 Posted by MonsterStomp (36757 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I know.

I was amazed by Man of Steel time, and thought it'd only go upwards from there. But we've been proven wrong time and time again, and it doesn't help that we have to wait twice as long for a DC film than we do for a Marvel film.

So basically we're waiting in anticipation. . .

. . . for no reason.

#24 Posted by RBT (27786 posts) - - Show Bio

Well can't say I blame him. Poor guy starred in a super hero flop for the second time and this was after he had his and everyone else's hopes up by claiming otherwise.

Daredevil was first, what was second?

#25 Posted by BruceRogers (17311 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:
@brucerogers said:

Daredevil was first, what was second?

BvS of course

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
#26 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (5417 posts) - - Show Bio

This is false.

#27 Edited by KrleAvenger (26348 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't believe it. Can't say I'm surprised if it turns out to be true. I don't care about DCEU. It is so bad. Although Affleck is probably the only thing besides Gadot that actually made me care about some of their movies. Is it even confirmed that Hal Jordan will be the main Green Lantern? I know there are like 10 cool Green Lanterns but come on Warner Bros, we know what Green Lantern has to appear.

DCEU has so many problems, I don't even know where to start. They made three movies and all of them are not average but are trying so hard to be average. I hope at least this Batman movie can be decent and I would be satisfied.

#28 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I know.

I was amazed by Man of Steel time, and thought it'd only go upwards from there. But we've been proven wrong time and time again, and it doesn't help that we have to wait twice as long for a DC film than we do for a Marvel film.

So basically we're waiting in anticipation. . .

. . . for no reason.

This is true. By the time Wonder Woman is out, we would've already gotten a Marvel movie.

By the time JL comes out, we would've gotten a whooping three Marvel movies!

#29 Posted by TDK_1997 (18670 posts) - - Show Bio

This is hard for me to believe just because I don't want to see it happen but seeing it now from like 4 or 5 different websites it's hard not to believe it just a little.

#30 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

This is hard for me to believe just because I don't want to see it happen but seeing it now from like 4 or 5 different websites it's hard not to believe it just a little.

If all the sites have the same source, there should be no difference be it 1 source or 100.

#31 Posted by Yassassin (7697 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, When any actor, especially a known Batman fanboy, wants to leave playing Batman, you, as a studio, have made a terrible mistake along the way an you just need to stop whatever it is you're doing cause it ain't working.

So if it's true, it'll be the final omen for the DCEU.

#32 Posted by DammeFavour (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

@tvc-15: dude....none of these is true. There's no sources, even the guy that made the statement said not to take it serious

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#33 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15858 posts) - - Show Bio

Clearly not true

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#34 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna err with the side of caution on this one and say it's not true but if it is, I'd say it's more of a issue with WB than the DCEU itself. The amount of confidence Affleck had for the role beforehand was staggering and now (if this is true) he's kinda being eroded away. There's no easy way WB can recast Bats and make a new solo film while juggling the effect it has on cinematic universe itself. I still think WB and DC need to take a minute and breathe before confirming any more films so they can come with a plan. If Snyder and Johns have actually drawn out a plan, then they need to adhere to it. Also stop scaring directors off because you're not giving them freedom. The MCU, while keeping to a strict order, still gives a decent amount of creative freedom when it comes to their films.

#35 Posted by Green_Tea (10480 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully it turns out to be false, Ben has the potential to be one of the best live action Batman, but man, WB isn't making it easy for the poor guy.

#36 Posted by entropy_aegis (20830 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman on Film and Forbes have also been saying this for a week now. There must be some murmurs going around. Truth is that this day was coming once the Sadfleck meme came out. Affleck signed on to become a part of a successful franchise, instead he's being forced to save a sinking ship. The DCEU films have been crapped on, Afflecks own film was treated no differently, he's got personal problems, he's getting too old to play a physically demanding role and he has no personal investment now that he has been relieved of duties as a director and if his script is done away with then frankly what reason does he have to stay? WB needs to eff the extended universe and just give the directors the power to make proper solo movies.

#37 Posted by BullPR (5906 posts) - - Show Bio

Grrr.

Hope it's false.

I don't care if the source material is from DC or Marvel, I just want good CBMs. And I really like this actor.

Should I start to worry about WW now?

Grrr.

#38 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman on Film and Forbes have also been saying this for a week now. There must be some murmurs going around. Truth is that this day was coming once the Sadfleck meme came out. Affleck signed on to become a part of a successful franchise, instead he's being forced to save a sinking ship. The DCEU films have been crapped on, Afflecks own film was treated no differently, he's got personal problems, he's getting too old to play a physically demanding role and he has no personal investment now that he has been relieved of duties as a director and if his script is done away with then frankly what reason does he have to stay? WB needs to eff the extended universe and just give the directors the power to make proper solo movies.

I know, man. Even if this source it's reliable, I can believe that Affleck would want to jump off ship. Affleck isn't Cavill, or Gal or Moama. This is a respected, oscar winning filmmaker who also wrote Good Will Hunting! He joined DCEU to redeem his role in Daredevil, and ended up in a sinking ship.

People are saying "of course Affleck doesn't want to leave. He's still working closely on the solo Batman movie!" Well, of course he wants it to be decent. He doesn't want to associate himself with a piece of shit. But there's no reason to believe he'll stay in the role as soon as his contract permits him to - for the reasons you mentioned.

#39 Posted by foxerdes (10148 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt that but still...

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#40 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22733 posts) - - Show Bio

Yawn

I honestly don't care either way lol

As far as I know he's contracted to play Batman at least once in a solo movie. So, if he REALLY wants out, replace him with Dick Grayson Batman, or de-age him idc :/

#41 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22733 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@entropy_aegis said:

I know, man. Even if this source it's reliable, I can believe that Affleck would want to jump off ship. Affleck isn't Cavill, or Gal or Moama. This is a respected, oscar winning filmmaker who also wrote Good Will Hunting! He joined DCEU to redeem his role in Daredevil, and ended up in a sinking ship.

People are saying "of course Affleck doesn't want to leave. He's still working closely on the solo Batman movie!" Well, of course he wants it to be decent. He doesn't want to associate himself with a piece of shit. But there's no reason to believe he'll stay in the role as soon as his contract permits him to - for the reasons you mentioned.

What does his oscar winning status have to do with anything......Look at Marky Mark. Maybe it matters to him as an individual, but he already has his share of flops anyways, much worse than BvS (which wasn't a flop). He's never going to live down Gigli. As much as people want to exaggerate "sad Affleck" imagine how much worse it would have been if Gigli came out now. Or Daredevil. Or Jersey Girl. If Ben Affleck really wants to leave the DCEU based off the reception alone, like it's REALLY going to damage his "reputation", he needs to to take a good look at his roots lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#42 Edited by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, are we really surprised at this point? DCEU is literally only empty promises now. It's just a bunch of "Wait for the next movie! That one will finally be good!" and announcing projects randomly. Remember that huge slate? Now the only film still on track past this year is Aquaman. I'd wanna leave too.

Can't say I'll miss him since I thought his Batman was an idiotic meathead and overall a stain on the character, but I do feel bad for him, same as I felt bad for Andrew Garfield. It sucks when you get your dream and it turns out to be terrible.

#43 Posted by IceDemonKing (9988 posts) - - Show Bio

This ben dude was pretty cool as batman imo

#44 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

If he leaves I'm done.

#45 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@entropy_aegis said:

What does his oscar winning status have to do with anything......Look at Marky Mark. Maybe it matters to him as an individual, but he already has his share of flops anyways, much worse than BvS (which wasn't a flop). He's never going to live down Gigli. As much as people want to exaggerate "sad Affleck" imagine how much worse it would have been if Gigli came out now. Or Daredevil. Or Jersey Girl. If Ben Affleck really wants to leave the DCEU based off the reception alone, like it's REALLY going to damage his "reputation", he needs to to take a good look at his roots lol

I don't get you, man. Honestly, all it sounds like you're saying is "WELL BEN HAS MADE SOME AWFUL MOVIES IN THE PAST, so given he made Gigli, y'know that movie which came out over a dozen years ago, Ben should be grateful to be Batfleck!" It sounds like you're taking it/would take it personally if he left, lmao.

Those movies were ages ago. Since then, he's directed 3 very well received films, one of which he won an Oscar for, and starred in Gone Girl. 2016 was a pretty bad year for him. It's understandable that he'd want to get his shit together so he DOESN'T end up in a Gigli/Daredevil phase once again. Those movies you mentioned are exactly why Affleck might want to leave the DCEU.

#46 Posted by GoodFella (401 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#47 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

IF true.

So long DCEU, farewell, air wiedersehen goodnight adieu adieu, adieu, to you and you and you!

#48 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: That's lovely, don't take that comment too seriously.

I know I probably shouldn't, but the comment is basically saying "Affleck starred in Gigli and Daredevil so he should be grateful to be in this sinking franchise." It's coming from a member with a long history on ComicVine too.

#49 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22733 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@entropy_aegis said:

I don't get you, man. Honestly, all it sounds like you're saying is "WELL BEN HAS MADE SOME AWFUL MOVIES IN THE PAST, so given he made Gigli, y'know that movie which came out over a dozen years ago, Ben should be grateful to be Batfleck!" It sounds like you're taking it/would take it personally if he left, lmao.

Those movies were ages ago. Since then, he's directed 3 very well received films, one of which he won an Oscar for, and starred in Gone Girl. 2016 was a pretty bad year for him. It's understandable that he'd want to get his shit together so he DOESN'T end up in a Gigli/Daredevil phase once again. Those movies you mentioned are exactly why Affleck might want to leave the DCEU.

Nah, that's not what i'm saying at all. Nah, i'm saying that he has an inflated, sensitive, revisionist ego if he leaves the DCEU because he's afraid of his reputation being hurt. Whether you, or he, likes it or not, regardless of the success he's had recently, his reputation includes those AWFUL movies he's made in the past. You can't cherry pick your reputation, especially when you're as consistently inconsistent as Benn Affleck. Being part of the DCEU isn't going to make anybody think differently of him. Everybody knows Ben Affleck is just as likely to make/be in a bomb as he is a hit, or something in between. Did you see anyone really THAT surprised "Live by Night" bombed? I didn't....most people seemed to take it in stride.

So he had a good streak....it's still Ben Affleck. What he needs to do is stick to his own directed films if he's that afraid of slipping into a "bad" streak again.

Avatar image for ultra_supermanking
#50 Posted by Ultra_SupermanKing (1748 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn.......poor DCEU if this true then they are in a pickle. I liked MoS/BvS so seeing Batfleck maybe quit sucks.