Shintakie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@judasnixon: Meh, cant explain it

I can explain it "She doesnt have a penis!"

There's literally no reason to be upset by this unless you don't like her work specifically. That's a legitimate reason if it is the reason.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Meh as long the writting is good I don't mind, and to be fair she can't do worst then some of the doctor episode tbh.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#53 JediXMan  Moderator

@dernman:

Then I don't know what you were objecting to.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big, fat, hairy deal. I have no idea why people can be so opposed to something that means so little. The doc is a chick. Because doctors can be women, women can be doctors, and they travel around in a phone booth. Get a grip, people...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jedixman said:

@dernman:

Then I don't know what you were objecting to.

To what she said but applied in broader terms.

Skullanders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By buttersdaman000

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. If you're not watching a series where the lead drastically changes appearance every few years just because the alien happened to turn female this time, then you need to reevaluate your life lol

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Aros001

So here's my two-cents:

If you are against this choice because you didn't like the actress's past work, I can understand that.

If you are against this choice because you're afraid the actress will force her political views in regardless of whether they work for the story or character, I can understand that.

If you are against this choice because you're afraid all the Doctor's character will be in this incarnation is "I'm a woman!" and nothing else beyond "Hey, I'm a lady now!", I can understand that.

If you are against this choice solely because they've decided they're now going to have the Doctor regenerate into a woman, something that's long been established in the show as something that can happen and does happen to Time Lords, and are not going to give this change any chance to try and win you over by even watching some of it, I may understand that viewpoint but I still think it's a stupid one to have.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. If you're not watching a series where the lead drastically changes appearance every few years just because the alien happened to turn female this time, then you need to reevaluate your life lol

I don't watch Dr. Who, so maybe my opinion is invalidated, but I don't get the uproar either. If this were the same character turned female, I would get the uproar, but isn't this show about an alien who literally changes every season??

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
deactivated-5b728068f211c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Facepalm.

Actors have a moral duty to oppose la-la-la...

Double facepalm. I watch TV-shows exactly for reason that I don't want to hear anything about politics - and in recent years that became problematic.

CitizenSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seriously... STOP it already. It's the Doctor! The first 12 have all been Males, why would the 13th all of a sudden be Female, what could the possible reason be?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lvenger said:

Also here's a scan from /tv/ of an interview Jodie Whittaker gave where she says she doesn't take on roles that don't allow her to air her personal politics.

No Caption Provided

Oh Gawd.....

I'm not opposed to Doctor Who Gender swapping...but jesus I literally stopped watching the news and closed out all of my social media accounts because I was getting sick of politics....I'm tired of tv and movies pushing political agendas(that's not the same as having a good movie that's actually saying something on the current political trends, but I think we all know the difference in a strong message movie and a movie with a specif agenda...)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Some of the reactions here and over the broader internet are exactly why I hate being referred to as a Nerd or even associating with the broader nerd culture. Like seriously, guys, we moan about 'teh evulz SJW getting triggerrrrrred' but we're probably some of the most whiney guys about. Put the pitchforks away and calm down.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brucerogers said:

There's literally no reason to be upset by this unless you don't like her work specifically. That's a legitimate reason if it is the reason.

That's a really stupid argument to make. Here is a legitimate reason a Who fan could give for not liking this. Doctor Who was a male character, I liked them better as male. You cannot tell someone that is not a legitimate reason when at the same time you will be a hypocrite overlook the fact that people are celebrating that the character is now female.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God.

Some of you guys are insecure.

It's like some of you guys are reliving that time a girl rejected you.

If the story is good then i'm happy.

Some of you need to man up. Who fucking cares.

KingKarate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By KingKarate

The Doctor being played by a woman is a unique and welcome change!

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 rogueshadow  Moderator

I just hope they don't do a Supergirl and make it all about the fact that she's a woman,. Hopefully, with Moffat gone the show can be as good as it used to be.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope they don't do a Supergirl and make it all about the fact that she's a woman,. Hopefully, with Moffat gone the show can be as good as it used to be.

Exactly. Make the character The Doctor first and the other stuff an afterthought.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70 the_stegman  Moderator

No Caption Provided

Some of the reactions here and over the broader internet are exactly why I hate being referred to as a Nerd or even associating with the broader nerd culture. Like seriously, guys, we moan about 'teh evulz SJW getting triggerrrrrred' but we're probably some of the most whiney guys about. Put the pitchforks away and calm down.

This. People who whine about "SJWs" are just as bad, if not worse, cause I hear it more often.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

@brucerogers said:

i can't tell if you're being serious or being "lulz"

im hoping its the second one.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By buttersdaman000

@theamazingspidey said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

I don't watch Dr. Who, so maybe my opinion is invalidated, but I don't get the uproar either. If this were the same character turned female, I would get the uproar, but isn't this show about an alien who literally changes every season??

Yeah, pretty much. People are jut mad because he's always been a white male. They forget, however, that precedent was set for a Time Lord to change skin color and/or gender upon regeneration way back in the Smith era when he thought he had become a woman. River Song was also a black chick before regenerating into her final, and most well known form.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lukehero said:
@lvenger said:

Also here's a scan from /tv/ of an interview Jodie Whittaker gave where she says she doesn't take on roles that don't allow her to air her personal politics.

No Caption Provided

Oh Gawd.....

I'm not opposed to Doctor Who Gender swapping...but jesus I literally stopped watching the news and closed out all of my social media accounts because I was getting sick of politics....I'm tired of tv and movies pushing political agendas(that's not the same as having a good movie that's actually saying something on the current political trends, but I think we all know the difference in a strong message movie and a movie with a specif agenda...)

Same here, the new gender swapped Doctor isn't the problem. It's the political agenda that could be pushed purposefully on this show. The last season had a lot of moments like that and it felt forced as hell.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#74  Edited By Lvenger
@soldierofel said:
No Caption Provided

Respectfully mate the BBC is known for pushing regressive SJW identity politics in the last couple of years and the last season of Doctor Who had several moments of political pandering. I'm sorry but the snark and arrogance of the SJWs and feminists at the 13th Doctor being female is beyond unbearable and hypocritical and deserves to be called out as such. They're acting like this is automatically the best thing in the world because of what's between her legs.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lvenger: To me it's like the Dave Chappelle Ja Rule joke....

Loading Video...

I don't give a **** what some random famous person's politics are...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JediXMan  Moderator

I just hope the writing is better than it was under Moffat.

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#77  Edited By Naamah_Obyzouth

@jedixman: Mark my words, it's going to be a train-wreck. Look I don't like gender-swapping unless it's a different character. In the case of The Doctor I can see how it's a possibility, but due to this desicission we will now have a in a lesbian relationship The Doctor. A character that has been Male for as long as The Doctor has too all of a sudden be considered a lesbian is stupid, and this is coming from a Lesbian. I mean what will happen to this relationship if The Doctor goes back to being a Male in the next season. That whole awkwardness of the whole we used to like one another, but now your a man so yuck crap probably. Which is where my real issue comes from the whole political agenda that a lot of my fellow LGB seem fine with, is shaming men and making ladies seem superior. Which is garbage, its a horrid thing to do.

KwasiD2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the current climate something like this was bound to happen

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: Mark my words, it's going to be a train-wreck. Look I don't like gender-swapping unless it's a different character. In the case of The Doctor I can see how it's a possibility, but due to this desicission we will now have a in a lesbian relationship The Doctor. A character that has been Male for as long as The Doctor has too all of a sudden be considered a lesbian is stupid, and this is coming from a Lesbian. I mean what will happen to this relationship if The Doctor goes back to being a Male in the next season. That whole awkwardness of the whole we used to like one another, but now your a man so yuck crap probably. Which is where my real issue comes from the whole political agenda that a lot of my fellow LGB seem fine with, is shaming men and making ladies seem superior. Which is garbage, its a horrid thing to do.

I agree. What I find interesting is that people didn't complain when they made the Master a woman (aka, Missy, or the Mistress). I, personally, liked Missy. But, as with all things, I think the story should come before any political agenda. If I knew, for a fact, that there was absolutely no agenda, then I wouldn't care.

Personally, I advocated for somebody like Helen Mirren as the Doctor. I know she's too big to do something like that, but it's more of a basis that I was working off of. I wanted an older woman in order to get that "wise" vibe. The fact that the 13th Doctor is young bothers me. Michelle Gomez (the Mistress), who is 50, would have made a better Doctor, in my opinion, and the Doctor changing into her as an homage would not be unrealistic. The 12th Doctor's face was a canon homage to the character in Fires of Pompeii (also played by Capaldi).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@soldierofel said:
No Caption Provided

Respectfully mate the BBC is known for pushing regressive SJW identity politics in the last couple of years and the last season of Doctor Who had several moments of political pandering. I'm sorry but the snark and arrogance of the SJWs and feminists at the 13th Doctor being female is beyond unbearable and hypocritical and deserves to be called out as such. They're acting like this is automatically the best thing in the world because of what's between her legs.

Mate, it's flat out hilarious. The SJWs (God, I'm so happy that word doesn't exist in every day conversation) are calling out nerd culture and they're taking the bait. That's how stupid some of these people are. Rather than simmering down and taking a beat, they're frothing at the mouths like rabid dogs. My twitter feed was pure comedy gold last night for this. In any case, praise the BBC for their balls on casting a female lead. They've given a large surplus of drama that will literally continue until the show's next season. And you know, I guarantee it isn't going to dramatically change the series bar the main character being a women.

Regarding the rest of your comment: is it really pandering? Like really, is it. Or is it simply a evolution of new characters that happen to be diverse. This whole 'pandering' business is often just people moaning about things not being the same. We live in a modern society full of different people and a show that's trying to reflect that diversity is bound to start include different people. I'll hold my hands up and say I don't watch the show (used to when Tennent was about but kinda grew out of it) but I doubt it's anything to worry about. It's Doctor Who, full of weird and wonderful things, it's gonna touch on different things. More power to it. I've never seen the point of getting upset about something like that. As someone I respect for being thoughtful, logical and clear headed, seeing you use terms like SJW, is in my eyes beneath you. You're better than those neck bearded morons that moan every day on reddit about stupid shiz like this.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#81 SC  Moderator

I have or had a friend who loved a particular piece of fiction. They had no idea that the creator of the universe and bulk creative force behind most of the plot and characters they liked, was a feminist and probably held a lot of other views that would get them labeled by certain individuals/groups. Mind you, the creator of the fiction they admired, whilst being fairly open about their social views, political views so on, being a feminist, they weren't a one dimensional cliche stereotype, akin to what my friend figured such people to be.

Regarding groups and individuals, how you assess and categorize others, even those you may not necessarily agree with, you have to be careful, because if you over generalize, over simplify and reduce others arguments by the lowest common denominator, the weakest arguments, then what incentive exists for others to not address you with similar tactics. Its why the internet can be such a droll and cliche place, despite decades of science around the brain, perceptions, motivations, psychology and how we know that those that are aggressively accusatory often do so ironically (those sensitive whiny pandering crybabies always doing the dumb thing) people still do it. I think criticism is very important, especially when its valid, and yes all sorts of people are both guilty of not taking valid criticism well and also applying less than valid criticism well, when it suits their respective agendas. Doesn't have to be that way, many don't fall into that trap.

I just have to wonder how many people just really sincerely carefully approach ideas with genuine skepticism and fairness before resorting to the easier default they tend to approach ideas from anyway because of presumptions and predispositions.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: so using the term "SJW" is beneath @lvenger: but you can use "neck bearded morons" to describe and generalize a group you don't like and its okay?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@soldierofel: so using the term "SJW" is beneath @lvenger: but you can use "neck bearded morons" to describe and generalize a group you don't like and its okay?

Who says I don't like them? They provide comedy gold literally every time they open their mouths to whine. If I could I'd pay them to be outraged. It's hilarious. Though in hindsight a colossal waste of money.