• 83 results
#1 Edited by lvenger (32166 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

The BBC on Sunday revealed Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor for hit series Doctor Who.

She will be the first female lead for the sci-fi series on the U.K. public broadcaster. Current lead Peter Capaldi will leave his role after this year's Christmas special.

Whittaker, 34, is from Yorkshire, England and has appeared on such shows as Broadchurch and in comedy film Adult Life Skills.

The BBC had on Friday announced that it would unveil the new Doctor after the men's Wimbledon final, taking fans by surprise. Among the various names thrown out by bookies as contenders for the Doctor Who lead role have been the likes of Fleabag creator and star Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Death in Paradise actor Kris Marshall and even Tilda Swinton.

Capaldi first stepped into the Tardis in 2013 and is set to leave at the same time as showrunner Steven Moffat exits the show.

Earlier this year, Pearl Mackie was tapped to play the first openly gay companion to the space-hopping series, which is one of the most popular shows for BBC Worldwide.

New writer and executive producer Chris Chibnall who takes over from Moffat made the decision to cast the first woman in the iconic role.

"I’m beyond excited to begin this epic journey – with Chris and with every Whovian on this planet," said Whittaker. "It’s more than an honor to play the Doctor. It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can’t wait."

Said Chibnall: "After months of lists, conversations, auditions, recalls, and a lot of secret-keeping, we’re excited to welcome Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor. I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice. Her audition for The Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The Thirteenth Doctor is on her way."

Capaldi said: “Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker’s work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm. She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She’s going to be a fantastic Doctor.”

Charlotte Moore, director of BBC Content, said about the casting news: “Making history is what Doctor Who is all about and Chris Chibnall’s bold new take on the next Time Lord is exactly that. The nation is going to fall in love with Jodie Whittaker – and have lots of fun too!”

#2 Posted by lvenger (32166 posts) - - Show Bio

Also here's a scan from /tv/ of an interview Jodie Whittaker gave where she says she doesn't take on roles that don't allow her to air her personal politics.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for major_hellstorm
#3 Posted by Major_Hellstorm (5443 posts) - - Show Bio

I have mixed feelings about this but I don't think this is a good idea.

#4 Posted by matthdog (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Terrible choice...

#5 Edited by Farkam (9535 posts) - - Show Bio

Ughhh, here we go again with the biased political bullshit.

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
#6 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (6530 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously... STOP it already. It's the Doctor! The first 12 have all been Males, why would the 13th all of a sudden be Female, what could the possible reason be?

#7 Posted by Helloman (6843 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be interesting. I am looking forward to seeing how this series turns out.

#8 Posted by Morpheus_ (30702 posts) - - Show Bio

We've already seen other Time Lords regenerate in a different gender before, so from a canon standpoint it's far from unprecedented. But to me, it just feels like a gimmick.

#9 Edited by BruceRogers (8685 posts) - - Show Bio

Not. A. Fan

Bring back Tennant

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
#10 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (6530 posts) - - Show Bio

@helloman: How is this interesting, it doesn't make any sense? What possible reason could The Doctor have for becoming a woman story-wise? Why would The Doctor all of a sudden be like, hey you know what this time around I want to be a lesbian. This is bad story-telling that's what this is.

#11 Posted by lvenger (32166 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by BruceRogers (8685 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by TVC-15 (3942 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it a shot.

#14 Posted by judasnixon (12244 posts) - - Show Bio

Not. A. Fan

Bring back Tennant

Boooooooooooo...... Bring Back Tom Baker!!!

Eh she could be great.... Just got to wait and see.

#15 Edited by BruceRogers (8685 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by judasnixon (12244 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Yeah but feels rather forced to me

How does it feel forced? You haven't seen it happen yet?

#17 Posted by JwwProd (19220 posts) - - Show Bio

Well........ At least I still have Game of Thrones :)

#18 Edited by BruceRogers (8685 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by judasnixon (12244 posts) - - Show Bio

Should of cast Idris Elba.....

#20 Posted by Outside_85 (17773 posts) - - Show Bio

Then people would be whining about him being black and the 12 previous doctors were not.

#21 Posted by Maestro_ (3737 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't be worse than Peter. He almost killed the series single handily.

#22 Posted by judasnixon (12244 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

Then people would be whining about him being black and the 12 previous doctors were not.

Wait....... Idris Elba is black????

#23 Posted by ms__omega (5102 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't care

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#24 Posted by buttersdaman000 (19816 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. I knew they were going for a chick. They seriously dropped the ball though -- the doctor still isn't ginger :/

#25 Posted by JwwProd (19220 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I'm going to be completely honest here but I actually did wanted to see Idris Elba take the role as the Doctor. I even discuused this with CitizenSurfer once when we were playing Battlefield 1 on PS4.

I honestly think he would make an absolutely fantastic Doctor.

#26 Posted by Referee (11551 posts) - - Show Bio

NO!

and the sad thing is I'll probably still watch it, but I'm against it.

#27 Posted by Gaoron (2373 posts) - - Show Bio

But is she black and lesbian tho??

#28 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#29 Posted by StormShadow_X (12216 posts) - - Show Bio

So this fan joke became a real thing....? Much rather had seen just a ginger male.

#30 Posted by MrAugen (399 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously... STOP it already. It's the Doctor! The first 12 have all been Males, why would the 13th all of a sudden be Female, what could the possible reason be?

Because making an iconic character from scratch takes work and time. Much easier to just replace an existing one with a swap gimmick. Once I saw the Master gender swap I knew the Doctor wasn't far behind.

I'm just curious to see how ratings and all go in coming years and how the 14th Doctor will be a reaction to that.

Avatar image for blackestnight93
#31 Posted by blackestnight93 (12707 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone tell me what Doctor Who is about? I keep hearing people say it's great, but I tried watching it, and don't understand all the hype

#32 Posted by JediXMan (39035 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackestnight93:

Try starting with episode 2 or 3 of season 1 (2005). Shoot me a PM and I'll gladly talk about Who, but I'm not a big fan of the current writer.

Avatar image for blackestnight93
#33 Posted by blackestnight93 (12707 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@blackestnight93:

Try starting with episode 2 or 3 of season 1 (2005). Shoot me a PM and I'll gladly talk about Who, but I'm not a big fan of the current writer.

I gave up on Moffat years ago.

#35 Posted by JediXMan (39035 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow:

The current season isn't bad. It's better than Moffat's other seasons, but nothing beats the Davies run.

#36 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@rogueshadow:

The current season isn't bad. It's better than Moffat's other seasons, but nothing beats the Davies run.

I tried to start watching again when Capaldi became the Doctor (The Thick of It is probably my favourite comedy of all time), but I still couldn't get into Moffat's Doctor Who. Moffat can't structure a long-term story arc like Davies could, he's phenomenal for oneshot episodes (Blink, The Empty Child, Silence in the Library, The Girl in the Fireplace) but long-form storytelling, he falls into the same problems every time. Seasons 3 and 4 of Sherlock went downhill as well, the overly meta, self-referential, fan-pleasing writing really ballsed up the integrity of the show.

I've seen him applauded for how well he writes women, but I don't think he writes women well at all, most of his female characters feel like the same three or four stock characters, really can't compare to how genuinely well drawn Martha, Rose and Donna were.

#37 Posted by Blackstar_95 (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Never watched Doctor who is it good? what seasons are the best and worst?

#38 Posted by jayc1324 (22168 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course

#39 Edited by JwwProd (19220 posts) - - Show Bio

@mraugen said:

@naamah_obyzouth said:

Because making an iconic character from scratch takes work and time. Much easier to just replace an existing one with a swap gimmick. Once I saw the Master gender swap I knew the Doctor wasn't far behind.

I'm just curious to see how ratings and all go in coming years and how the 14th Doctor will be a reaction to that.

Am I the only one who thinks Michelle Gomez's Master should have been the Rani?

#40 Posted by Dernman (23283 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Also here's a scan from /tv/ of an interview Jodie Whittaker gave where she says she doesn't take on roles that don't allow her to air her personal politics.

No Caption Provided

I don't care about them making the character a woman but that right there bothers me.

Avatar image for release_resolve
#41 Posted by Release_Resolve (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Who is trash anyways. Much Better British TV shows to watch.

#42 Posted by nateb1211 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Well looks like I'll be taking a break from the show.

#43 Posted by kiba (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only seen her in Broadchurch so I've no idea how good a Doctor she will be but I was wanting a white guy, just to see the internet explode. That would have been great comedy.

#44 Edited by PenguinDust (4243 posts) - - Show Bio

If they were going to make him a woman, I was pulling for Gillian Anderson. We'll see how things pan out for this one though. Over the long course of Dr. Who history, about half the actors who played him were forgettable.

#45 Posted by AirDave (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want to be entertained by good sci-fi time travel. I really liked the first season with Eccleston. I'm still trying to make my way through the Tennant series. I did see the special with The War Doctor. Does it stream anywhere anymore without costing? It's on Amazon now but only by purchase...

#46 Posted by Discipulus (1409 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm quite pessimistic about the fate of Doctor Who. The final ten minutes of the recent finale were god-awful. I don't object to a woman playing the lead, but given the direction of the last season I'm cynical as to why this casting decision was made. Was it because they have a fantastic plan to reverse the recent stagnation of the show? Probably not. Was it because it seems very virtuous? Probably.

#47 Edited by JediXMan (39035 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I don't care about them making the character a woman but that right there bothers me.

Doctor Who already mocks Trump frequently, so it doesn't really change much.

#48 Edited by The Stegman (38031 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackestnight93: I never could get into the show. The humor is kinda bad and the effects even worse.

#49 Posted by Dernman (23283 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
@dernman said:

Doctor Who already mocks Trump frequently, so it doesn't really change much.

That might be relevant if I was talking about the show or Trump specifically. Since I wasn't doing either.........

#50 Posted by Skullanders (600 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm okay with this. At least she ain't under the helm of Moffat.