Thanos is one of the most misunderstood comic characters

• 53 results
Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are two common complaints I hear of Jim Starlin's version of his character Thanos:

1) "He's just fan fiction: he's always made more powerful or smarter than everyone he ever meets."

2) "Starlin just retcons everything he doesn't like."

I'm here to do what I can to poke and prod at these ideas as best I'm able.

There’s actually a third complaint, but it’s so completely in defiance of how Starlin writes the character that I don’t think it’s worth categorizing the same way. This is essentially that common description of Thanos as “Death-worshiping nice guy who can’t take a hint and wants to destroy the universe”.

Let’s start with that, as it forms the basis of everything wrong with the other comments.

Thanos is (or was, pre-MCU) most known for one story, really: The Infinity Gauntlet. Everyone remembers how it was a story of Thanos trying to impress Death like a loser and then losing the ultimate power. Some get hazy and think the heroes stopped him (they didn’t--all of them who went up against him, because he was powered as a god, died--with a handful of exceptions, those exceptions gaining no more ground). Some have even said Nebula joined the heroes to stop him (!!).

What seems to almost inevitably escape every synopsis I ever read is that incredibly crucial page that Ron Lim drew with such fantastic expressions of shock and denial on the Mad Titan’s face: the one where Warlock tells him he knows his soul better than he himself does. This is often re-written as “an excuse”, and becomes the kernel mis-attributing all of this to “Starlin won’t ever let Thanos be beaten”. In truth: the point of this is character development. Is there evidence of this? Obviously. Look at every single story Starlin wrote about him after this.

This is the fulcrum; this is the point where Starlin drops Thanos as “universe-ending mega-threat”, but that everyone--including seemingly every other writer, contemporaneously or since--forgets. He doesn’t become an outright hero (though he proceeds to act to save all of existence repeatedly, also mystifyingly forgotten), and his personality does not perform a 180, but he is no longer invested in ultimate power--he actually takes Adam’s words to heart.

In the midst of Infinity War, there’s an episode that he may or may not have imagined: Death comes to speak to him, to encourage him to take out Warlock for her (seeding his existence as the increasingly “formal” champion of Life to Thanos’s “champion of Death”). He chooses, even after she has spoken to him--though he, too, is not entirely convinced this actually occurs--to defy her. This is quite thoroughly the end of the immaturity of this obsession. In the main story, he’s speaking of her somewhat coldly, distantly (bringing the Infinity Watch to her palace--maybe with a little too much “I don’t care!” to be believed) and otherwise not at all. This is no longer his drive.

It's laid out bare at the end of that series, as he faces his scarecrow self, with no witnesses:

"And what now are you, Lord Thanos? Hero? Villain? Neither? Maybe just wiser.

"The Magus would have held firm to ultimate power had he gained a solid grip on it. He would not have subconsciously surrendered it like I...in days past. Now? Who knows.

"Gamora was correct--changes are taking place within me. Even old dogs can learn new tricks. With insight one's horizons widen. As I always said, knowledge is power.

"Lessons learned: the one true victory. Perhaps now Thanos could retain ultimate power were he to gain it again. But do I still crave such an exotic dish? I suspect future event will answer that rhetorical query."

I want to be clear here: this is 1992. There’s approximately one other story about Thanos someone else has written at this point, and that’s “The Final Flower”, the back-up story from Logan’s Run #6. Yes, Ron Marz has taken over Silver Surfer at this point, and quite honestly his Thanos is not quite keeping up with the developments in The Infinity Gauntlet or War, but otherwise Starlin has kept his hold on the character almost entirely up to this point. He’s established that Thanos has deviated from his previous pursuit of power. He’s established an end to his obsession with Death, whether it be the Mistress Herself, or the idea of killing everyone.

And so our divergence comes. We’ve got Joe Kelly in Deadpool. Mark Waid (partly unintentionally due to some background shenanigans) in Kazar. Ron Marz still a touch in Cosmic Powers. Dan Jurgens in Thor. Englehart in The Celestial Quest.

Every one of these stories comes after Thanos’s signature story and its follow-ups (including The Infinity Crusade, and his interactions in Warlock and the Infinity Watch) that make clear that this character has changed. And they all ignore them. Every single one reverts him to the one-note, one-motivation “He wants to kill everyone and be powerful” mentality.

And now we really get to those complaints.

You see--Starlin’s retcons? Where he said Jurgens’s story was a "Thanosi", and Waid’s? Well, those two writers (and the rest) already retconned Starlin’s own character development. He wrote Thanos--while no one else, with the exception of Marz was writing him--out of the personalities all those writers stuffed right back into him with no explanation. He took the time to reference those stories, and explain why they still happened but didn’t fit. Because they truly didn’t fit--while none of the rest of them justified why he was back to the old personality. The Thanos who stepped away from his obsession with Death and power wouldn’t fit in those stories, but that’s the Thanos that those writers had been left with.

So in all of this, we’ve got the idea that Starlin is trying to make his baby (and let’s not pretend Thanos isn’t his baby--he absolutely is, and he’s clearly protective) “the bestest” and “the strongest” and the whatever else--I’ve read this complaint for years. Was he trying to prevent Thor from beating Thanos--or was he trying to keep his character moving along the path he'd created for him that everyone was ignoring?

What all those complaints seem to fail to recognize is that the points on his strength aren’t to make him “the bestest”, they’re to develop his character and place in the universe. They aren’t about “he can beat 12 Celestials with his hand tied behind his back”, and the infinity gauntlet wasn’t created to be an artifact to be stronger than everybody else--those were all built in to look at characters (Thanos and Warlock) who exist on another plane of power but who still have human traits. What does a petulant, flawed being look like and do when given ultimate power? What does fighting a god-like being mean for the regular heroes of the Marvel universe--or even the cosmic ones? What is it like to have someone so powerful driven by nihilistic madness, or really questionable "love" of an abstract, destructive force? What does this "Thanos" do with ultimate power?

You can have a Galactus miniseries (we’ve had them!) but unless you go back to Galan, he’s still an alien, cosmic force, distant from humanity as we understand it. Thanos and Warlock are the grand operatic forces that exist away from the regular Marvel heroes, not to exist in a “who could beat who” scale, but to make them grander scale stories. It’s the reason you don’t have Spider-Man regularly tangle with Terrax or Annihilus (or Thor regularly fighting Wilson Fisk). Starlin had long since established he existed at a power level Marvel’s regular heroes could not contend with--there’s no real exception to this in any story until other writers took on the character, 25 years after his creation. In the Cosmic Cube event, it’s akin to Spider-Man facing Juggernaut when Mar-Vell pulls off that win--and that’s a character Jim had nurtured into the “cosmically aware”, vaguely psychedelic version that he made famous. When Warlock turns Thanos to stone in the first infinity (née soul) gem affair, it’s after all the other heroes have failed utterly, and Warlock himself is dead. Is it pulling out the rug to make those hair’s-breadth defeats a product of Thanos’s self-sabotage?

Only if you’re obsessed with “who can beat who.” If you come at it from that perspective, this is the only conclusion to draw: "Starlin must be upset by the idea that anyone can beat his creation, so he pretended no one did." But he wrote every single one of those stories himself, using characters he’d raised into their most famous and lasting impressions. “Counter Earth Jesus” is a nostalgic, of-an-era take on Adam Warlock. “Soap opera co-star with Medic Una” is a Captain Marvel I’m not sure I’ve heard much of anyone talk about. So what if this isn’t about “who can beat who”, but about establishing the fact that Thanos just isn’t an “Avengers villain”? What if he’s not “a mega-villain” at all? What if he’s some sort of unusual in-between--neither at the level of any of the “regular” heroes and villains, nor fully progressed to an abstract force of the universe? Not an Elder, existing in an archetypal state of aloof distance and power concentrated into a single, mystical, cosmic level--but the kind of being who can operate near those folks and works in the universe at a similar level of power, while being more “human”? In this sense--rather like the Silver Surfer with his conscience returned.

It's probably worth pointing out that The Thanos Quest may well be the finest crystallization of Thanos as opponent: he has immense power, but it's not his power that defeats the elders. It's cunning and planning and scheming that get him past everyone. And as seen in other stories like "Yule Memory" and his exchanges with Gamora in Warlock and the Infinity Watch, there's a lot more going on behind him than just "Megalomaniacal life-hater" (including a metric shit tonne of denial of his own emotions). Indeed, The Infnity Abyss has the line that encapsulates this most perfectly, I've always felt:

"But fortunately, Thanos's most dangerous weapon is his mind. It is entirely in the planning. All battles are won or lost before ever the first blow is struck. Execution is mere formality."

I’m not saying this is an impenetrable, guaranteed argument that “he doesn’t want anyone to beat his character” is “factually incorrect”, but rather that perspective matters in looking at these things. If you come away still convinced that’s the only reason for the stories--well, have at you, then!

But this is so fundamental to all of these stories--even in Iron Man #55, Drax is the real contender for Thanos himself, not Tony--that it seems strange to me to insist that he must operate at the same level as every “other villain”. Indeed, I would argue his role simply isn’t that of “villain for Marvel heroes” and almost every problem stemming from the character originates in the insistence that he be exactly that--a villain--anyway. He's supporting antihero or direct protagonist in most stories from The Thanos Quest onward, unless someone else is writing.

And it seems stranger yet that stories which flatten a character who was progressing and developing are often less harshly dealt with as "retcons" than the complaints lobbed at a writer who’s been nurturing a character for decades into something that allows for stories that function in the same universe without having to be directly interactive with the expected characters. When he picks up Earthbound heroes in The Infinity Abyss, it’s with that grudging respect of others from his home star system. The same in Infinity War and Crusade (where he treats them as so much cannon fodder, because of course he does).

In closing, perhaps the most maddening to me is that The End was rendered non-canon, despite being integral to what comes after it (the half-Starlin, half-Giffen Thanos “maxi-series”, which leads directly into Drax the Destroyer which leads directly into Annihilation). It's the realization of all of the personality exploration that Thanos was going through: the final answer to that question he asked himself--a maturation of Thanos as a being into one who finally understands the responsibility of ultimate power, an acceleration not to raise the stakes yet again and make him even more the "bestest", but to try to enact (rather futilely) a lasting change, in stopping the "revolving door" of death in the Marvel universe. A noble sacrifice to maintain consistency--where once he would save the universe out of a sense of self-interest ("I merely wish to safeguard the sanctity of my own reality."), he now sacrifices even himself in the interest of that reality--and for this is given his first boon of Mistress Death (much more in keeping with her established personality than Kelly's intercession...)

I’ve seen people say Thanos is boring and always after the same thing, or that Giffen changed things by making him seek redemption (I love Giffen and think that, especially, his 6 issues in that series really lived up to where Starlin had been taking the character)--when Jim did it at the end of the fucking Infinity Gauntlet back in 1991. Nevermind that he started Thanos on the path in #1-6 of the same series before Giffen took it over. But everyone just forgot or ignored it, and then complained when he tried to keep this character on a consistent path instead of continually being reduced to "angry, Death-obsessed thug" (still the most common encapsulation of the character).

It wasn't even obscured--alongside the other quotations above, there's this exchange with Magus in Infinity War (#1):

Magus: "You now protect what you once sought to decimate? What does reality mean to one such as you?"

Thanos: "Much in recent months."

Magus: "This does not sound like the Thanos I knew of old."

Thanos: "He has been replaced by a creature with different priorities."

Magus: "A revelation?"

Thanos: "Of sorts. As you do now, I once strove for ultimate power."

Magus: "Why do you think that my goal?"

Thanos: "You already possess vast energies, yet I still see hunger in your eyes."

Magus: "You speak as a kindred soul and an anxious competitor?"

Thanos: "I've already had my taste of omnipotence. I found it impossible to keep down. Ultimate might was not meant for beings such as ourselves."

This is my greatest personal torture in the realms of interaction over fiction I hold dear. I don’t ask that anyone come away only with my interpretation and understanding, or genuflect to Starlin as the ultimate Thanos writer (given that I think no one else has bothered with the actual character--excepting Giffen and then Peter David in some Captain Marvel issues, and some valiant attempts from Marz--this is more "default" truth than emphatically earned. When someone else writes the character with these kinds of changes and dimensions in mind, let's talk then), nor to hold this character as dearly as I, but merely that folks consider that “who can beat who” and “what’s the greatest level of power” aren’t the only ways of looking at these stories, nor this character. I'd argue, in fact, they are the wrong ways to look at these stories and this character, given how the stories are written, really not even about fights and "who can win"/"who is stronger", but the ubiquitous metaphysical and psychological ruminations of Starlin that naturally stem from an idle thought of personifying the eros and the thanatos in the first place. Not to suggest it's incredibly deep, magical insight--but that madness and how people think and feel and work and how that relates to the cosmos is the core of his writing and the characters he comes up with.

For me: Thanos is interesting because he changes and progresses--at least when he’s left in the hands of his creator. And as a side note, I think placing him in a different "plane" from Marvel's other heroes and villains is necessary for this to work. Stuffing him back in as a villain almost requires stripping away the rest of that entirely.

(And yes: this means I've been ignoring Thanos stories for the last ten years as hard as I can. The "he's a ruthless ultra-powerful thug" thing doesn't interest me at all--especially because it's in defiance of what made him interesting to me in the first place, and hammers down all that development until it's just the same, bland, one-note boring "character" forever. Endless missed opportunities.)

Source: Thanos is horrendously, persistently misunderstood and mis-described : CharacterRant (reddit.com)

@cull_obsidian@thor-parker@krleavenger

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By iknowwhoyouare

He's the ultimate simp. Nothing to misunderstand here

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's the ultimate simp. Nothing to misunderstand here

Did you read the post?

If you think that's everything comics Thanos boils down to, then I don't blame you because it's mostly what all current writers have been focusing on in the comics mainly because the whole Infinity Gauntlet saga had that as part of his motivations and that's the only thing they remember. But comic Thanos has had a few stories than don't involve him trying to impress Death and he does a lot of stuff on his own volition which is why Infinity Gauntlet even happened in the first place and why Death was angry at him in that story.

Not to mention MCU's Thanos' motivation was cribbed from Silver Surfer #35 (1990).

I agree that MCU Thanos is more interesting than the way comic Thanos is being written since 2013. But the way Starlin wrote him? Nah, that guy was intimidating because he was unpredictable. You never knew what he was going to do or how he was going to react and he could be your ally or your enemy depending on what he was scheming. He could destroy the universe or help save it from another villain depending on his mood and his intentions. He could team up with a omnicidal maniac like Annihilus for something as simple as curiosity. It's also the reason why you have stories with the Avengers and other heroes either fighting Thanos or them teaming up with Thanos. Even Death didn't know what Thanos planned especially since gathering the Infinity gems was his idea and she didn't like the fact that he messed up the cosmic order while trying to be her equal (even though Death was fine with the way he was) but then he becomes more powerful than her and it's why in Infinity Gauntlet she's upset with him.

He's also a contradictory mess because he claims to be a hardcore nihilist and yet he loves Death. He also claims to love Death and calls himself her most humble servant but he has done so many things to defy her for his own personal reason. He's arrogant and postures himself as the greatest but he also has a lot of self-loathing. He's also neither completely a hero or a villain, He’s been the good guy as often as he’s been the bad guy so depending the story he can serve as both (either way hero or villain I do prefer it when he's the protagonist).

MCU Thanos is fine, I honestly never thought Starlin Thanos can be adapted into a 2 hour movie even though the MCU did a good job of adapting part of his motivation in the Silver Surfer issues that lead to the Infinity Gauntlet trilogy. Still I never really cared for the idea of a Thanos with a martyr complex and something about him felt off to me.

Also Starlin Thanos no matter how crappy of a dad he was (turning Gamora into a cyborg, almost killing her and raising her to be his assassin) he's still a better father to Gamora than MCU Thanos was to Gamora (even when he was going to destroy the whole universe he couldn't bring himself to kill Gamora and according to his creator SHE is the person he's most loyal to). The way MCU Thanos dared Star-Lord to shoot Gamora in Infinity War was awful and something I don't see Starlin Thanos doing because he didn't like seeing her emotionally distressed. He also wouldn't take in a kid that he didn't care for (which is why Gamora is the only one he claims as his daughter) and when he tortured Nebula (who isn't his daughter in the comics) he at least had the reason that Nebula had insulted him by claiming to be his grandaughter just to scare his former minions into following her, unlike MCU Thanos who just abused Nebula for years because he considered her worthless. I also really, really, like Thanos' interactions with Adam Warlock and the MCU will most likely never have that.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for namelessmonster
NamelessMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eh, he's not likeable at all. He's just a sycopathic manchild. He has no qualities about him that make a good villain.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mar-vell92: Do you have a Thanos reading order? I've only read Infinity Gauntlet.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

userthatisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos is just as evil as Azathoth worshippers

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, he's not likeable at all. He's just a sycopathic manchild. He has no qualities about him that make a good villain.

This just proves that people don't actually read his stories.

a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calling Thanos a simp is a good a indication of someone not actually read the comics about Thanos but pretend they do. He's a much more complicated character, and it's not simping if you do things because people ask you to do it, by that standard anyone who does a lot of things for other people is a simp.

DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthsuper said:

I literally dislike everything about him. Infinity Guantlet was the worst comic books story I ever read.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22 said:
@darthsuper said:

I literally dislike everything about him. Infinity Guantlet was the worst comic books story I ever read.

Then I think you need to read more comics, no offense.

DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then I think you need to read more comics, no offense.

I shouldn't have to waste my time reading stories I may or may not like just to maybe like a character.

Things I don't like about Thanos:

1. His personality is not likeable. He comes off as an immature brat who can't handles losing to me.
  2. He's not intimidating at all to me.
  3. He's super ugly, and his costume looks beyond stupid.
  4. He has no humor. (Not even black comedy.)
  5. He's really annoying.
  6. He's not overpowered in the fun kind of way, he's overpowered in an anoying kind of way.

These are my opinions on Thanos.

And don't give me "you're not a true fan" crap that I hear way too often on the internet. Just because I don't waste my time reading stories about characters I don't like and have a life outside of reading comics doesn't make me any less of a comic book fan.

I know you're the biggest Thanos fan on this site, and you're free to like the character. For me, however, nothing about Thanos interests me or make me like him at all. Therefore, I will not being reading any of his stories, they're not worth my time.

Good day.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TakenStew22

@darthsuper:

1. Alot of villains are like that.

2. Fair.

3. Alot of villains are ugly aswell and meant to be. Not liking his costume is fair though.

4. He actually can be humorous at times.

5. Fair, I guess?

6. Also fair I guess?

In the end I respect your opinion. Even though I don't exactly understand some of your reasons. Thanks anyway man, have a nice one.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@darthsuper: What villains are you a fan of, if you had to pick some off the top of your head?

DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthsuper: What villains are you a fan of, if you had to pick some off the top of your head?

• Darth Vader
  • Venom (When he was a villain)
  • Lex Luthor (from Smallville)
  • CW Revers Flash and Zoom
  • Galactus
  • Anti-Monitor
  • Darkseid
DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthsuper:

1. Alot of villains are like that.

2. Fair.

3. Alot of villains are ugly aswell and meant to be. Not liking his costume is fair though.

4. He actually can be humorous at times.

5. Fair, I guess?

6. Also fair I guess?

In the end I respect your opinion. Even though I don't exactly understand some of your reasons. Thanks anyway man, have a nice one.

You too. It's nice to see someone who respects the opinion of others.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthsuper: Yeah, we need it at times like this.

I agree. I'm tired of pretentious comic book fans who act like people who don't agree with them are Nazis.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mar-vell92: Nice write-up, man, some really good points.

But I do have to say (and I believe I already mentioned it to you a while back) you should really give up hope on Thanos being portrayed the way you want it to be, that's not going to happen anytime soon due to his massive popularity as a villain, and if you go predisposed into any comic he appears, you'll be disappointed and angry, just enjoy his participations as a villain, because that's what he'll be for at least the decade.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:

• Darth Vader
  • Darkseid

Darth Vader is literally what you complained about Thanos being in the first place.

Darkseid is a worse version of Thanos.

Avatar image for deactivated-601923bb136f5
deactivated-601923bb136f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure a lot of people here don't know a lot about Thanos. Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet are one of my favorite comics to read.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theslayer2000: Pretty sure that many people here know a lot about him. People are just hating on him because he would beat their two favorit Mary Sues, Superman and Darkseid.

Avatar image for deactivated-601923bb136f5
deactivated-601923bb136f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: Yeah, but people think he isn't an interesting character because he's a simp? Lol.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: Yeah, but people think he isn't an interesting character because he's a simp? Lol.

I have only seen people hating Thanos say that or people are just joking..

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theslayer2000: Thanos Rising is a horribie story that rapes the lore of Thanos and the Titans.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor-parker: @theslayer2000: Thanos Rising is a horribie story that rapes the lore of Thanos and the Titans.

At least they should write him as a smart villain with meaty dialogue like doctor Doom and not a brutish idiot who jumps in front of a reality warper without any planning (looking at you Hickman)

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: @thor-parker: @theslayer2000: Thanos Rising is a horribie story that rapes the lore of Thanos and the Titans.

At least they should write him as a smart villain with meaty dialogue like doctor Doom and not a brutish idiot who jumps in front of a reality warper without any planning (looking at you Hickman)

Heh, i think people are also missing the point of Darkseid. He's supposed to be the embodiment of the scarier parts of fascism and slavery, like O'Brien from 1984 if he was a cosmic skyfather. Problem is most DC authors are shitty at writing him. Also they ignore that Orion is Darkseid's biggest foe and not Superman.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: Heh. I think they are just annoyed that Starlin made Thanos and Adam smarter and more powerful than most Marvel characters so it's cathartic when Thanos is depicted as a memetic loser than can be punked by anyone.

DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon said:
@darthsuper said:
@professorrespect said:

• Darth Vader
  • Darkseid

Darth Vader is literally what you complained about Thanos being in the first place.

Darkseid is a worse version of Thanos.

• Darth Vader is calm and collected. He emmits a cold, tranquil fury when he's angry, but he rarely loses his cool. He simply does not tolerate failure in his ranks. He almost never yells or raises his voice, even in battle. He is anything but immature.
  • Completely based on opinion. In my opinion, Darkseid looks cooler has a cooler voice, and has a way better personality. Again, Darkseid is intimidating, Thanos is not. Darkseid is calm and collected, Thanos is emotional and prone to lashing out. Again, this is all based on opinion.
DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: A few more to add:

• The Indominus Rex
  • Loki
  • Darth Maul
  • Magneto
  • King Ghidora
Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mar-Vell92

@darthsuper: You never read a Jim Starlin comic beyond Gauntlet, kiddo. Thanos is very collected and professorial when he's written by Jim Starlin. Read Thanos Quest and my reading guide

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthsuper: By describing Vader you accidental ly also describe Thanos.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthsuper: wow those are ridiculous and pretty childish reasons , you are of course allowed your opinion , but that doesn't change established and accepted fact that Thanos and the infinity gauntlet story are some of the most acclaimed and loved comic creations

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mar-vell92: awesome write up , enjoyed reading it,you definitely know the inner workings of the true Thanos

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mar-vell92: what was that thanos essay you posted before?

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cull_obsidian: i didn't write that. I've wrote the link to the reddit post that i thought was worth sharing.

DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon said:

@darthsuper: By describing Vader you accidental ly also describe Thanos.

@darthsuper: wow those are ridiculous and pretty childish reasons , you are of course allowed your opinion , but that doesn't change established and accepted fact that Thanos and the infinity gauntlet story are some of the most acclaimed and loved comic creations

@darthsuper: You never read a Jim Starlin comic beyond Gauntlet, kiddo. Thanos is very collected and professorial when he's written by Jim Starlin. Read Thanos Quest and my reading guide

Oh boy, I knew this was going to happen. Look guys, I know Thanos has a lot of fans on this site. He's just no a character that interests me. I just don't like him.

@cull_obsidian: Don't call someone's reasons for not liking a character childish. Their just as valid as your reasons for liking that character. And just because something is highly praised doesn't mean I have to like it.

@byondeon: Execpt not really, they are two different characters. You make think they are the same, I seem them differently. That's ok, we'll just keep our opinions. But I think I'm done with this debate, as we're getting nowhere.

@mar-vell92: As I told @takenstew22, why would I read stories about a character I dislike? Thanks for the recomendation, but I think I'll pass, there are many characters I would rather read about.

Good day to you all, and I should probably stop posting in this thread before I get into an arguement with every Thanos fanboy on this website.

Nerise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought he was just a simp lord

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By byondeon

@darthsuper: This literally describes Thanos:

Thanos is calm and collected. He emmits a cold, tranquil fury when he's angry, but he rarely loses his cool. He simply does not tolerate failure in his ranks. He almost never yells or raises his voice, even in battle. He is anything but immature.

This is Thanos

DarthSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DarthSuper

@byondeon said:

@darthsuper: This literally describes Thanos:

Thanos is calm and collected. He emmits a cold, tranquil fury when he's angry, but he rarely loses his cool. He simply does not tolerate failure in his ranks. He almost never yells or raises his voice, even in battle. He is anything but immature.

This is Thanos

I get it, whatever. I'm not interested in this discussion anymore. Please stop tagging me.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerise: Hè hasnt been a simp since the ending of Gauntlet.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerise: Hè hasnt been a simp since the ending of Gauntlet.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers