Telepathic immortality.

#1 Posted by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio

Are telepaths technically immortal?

You see this with Apocalypse, Stryfe, Shadow King, Psylocke and so on.  When their physical bodies are destroyed, they simply transfer their psyche into other people's bodies.   

I guess it depends how powerful the telepath is. 

What do you think?

#2 Posted by rein (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

they can be, But they would need to know they are about to die to transfer their mind. If you take them by surprise they would die just like you or me.

#3 Posted by Handcannon (546 posts) - - Show Bio

just another method of immortality , yes.....

#4 Posted by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein: Sinister was surprised when Mystique killed him by pressing him against Rogue, but he still survived and became known as Miss Sinister. 
#5 Posted by rein (1355 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks said:
" @rein: Sinister was surprised when Mystique killed him by pressing him against Rogue, but he still survived and became known as Miss Sinister.  "
I don't remember that, so i have to ask did he have any time to transfer bodies? he may have been surprised that he was dieing, but he likely had a few moments to transfer his mind. By taken by surprise i mean a speed blitz from someone like SA superman or someone coming from behind and sliting his throat (so he dies so fast he doesn't know what is going on)
#6 Posted by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein: But that would not kill their psychic essence though.  Their psychic essences would eventually come back to realization that they are in reality.  

Sinister had no time to transfer bodies.  He did take some time to transfer his body though. 
#7 Posted by Asymmetrical (23750 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks: wrong. 

It was revealed in X-Men: Legacy that Sinister had been anticipating his physical death for some time.  In particular he prepared for some form of treachery by Mystique and Gambit.    

taken from the Miss Sinister page 

you don't take Sinister by surprise...he planned everything in advance, and he is not Miss Sinister, she is a clone of him
#8 Edited by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:

Who cloned Mr. Sinister?

And why did Sinister do nothing about his imminent death?
#9 Posted by rein (1355 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @cracks: wrong. 

It was revealed in X-Men: Legacy that Sinister had been anticipating his physical death for some time.  In particular he prepared for some form of treachery by Mystique and Gambit.    

taken from the Miss Sinister page  you don't take Sinister by surprise...he planned everything in advance, and he is not Miss Sinister, she is a clone of him "
so would i be correct in my assumption that if taken by surprise a psychic would not be able to transfer their mind to another body?
#10 Posted by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein: The psychic essence can not be destroyed though.
#11 Posted by Asymmetrical (23750 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" @cracks: wrong. 

taken from the Miss Sinister page  you don't take Sinister by surprise...he planned everything in advance, and he is not Miss Sinister, she is a clone of him "
so would i be correct in my assumption that if taken by surprise a psychic would not be able to transfer their mind to another body? "
I believe so, but i am no expert on the matter
#12 Posted by Asymmetrical (23750 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks said:
" @aztek the lost:  Who cloned Mr. Sinister?  And why did Sinister do nothing about his imminent death? "
Sinister cloned Sinister, that's exactly what he did about his imminent death
#13 Posted by rein (1355 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks said:
" @rein: The psychic essence can not be destroyed though. "
I think that's only for very powerful psychics like prof X
#14 Posted by JediXMan (42910 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically, yes, I suppose this is true.

#15 Posted by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: But Sinister could still use someone else, say any other human or non-telepathic human mutant and use him/her as a host body to put his psyche into right?

@rein said:
" @cracks said:
I think that's only for very powerful psychics like prof X "

Even Dr. Doom is able to do this stuff, I believe. 
#16 Posted by rein (1355 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks said:
" @aztek the lost: But Sinister could still use someone else, say any other human or non-telepathic human mutant and use him/her as a host body to put his psyche into right?

@rein said:
" @cracks said:
I think that's only for very powerful psychics like prof X "
Even Dr. Doom is able to do this stuff, I believe.  "
yeah but he does that through magic and prep time tmk
#17 Posted by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein:@rein: You are right. People like Chamber, Cyber and Danielle Moonstar can't do such things. 
#18 Posted by "Colossus" (4755 posts) - - Show Bio

no. odin and zeus both are telepaths but they were killed

#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks said:
" Are telepaths technically immortal?  You see this with Apocalypse, Stryfe, Shadow King, Psylocke and so on.  When their physical bodies are destroyed, they simply transfer their psyche into other people's bodies.     I guess it depends how powerful the telepath is.   What do you think? "
Stryfe is in his own body.  He may be a clone, but he's still in his own body.  Psylocke had her mind & body twisted by others, she didn't voluntarily choose to take Kwannon's body.   So they haven't demonstrated any sort of telepathic immortality.

Apocalypse needs a physical body, and turns them all into a mirror image of the previous one.  Shadow King can exist on the Astral Plane without a body.  Xavier has transferred his consciousness into a clone of his own body, while Cassandra Nova took over his body after she lost hers (and survived being murdered in the womb), although she has bad taste in bodies... Let's face it, if you're telepathic & can choose any body to inhabit, why'd she pick a shrunken bald woman that looked like a man, and Xavier is hardly eye-candy either.  So the few body-hopping telepaths are just not very good at it.

Emma Frost has temporarily put herself into other people's bodies.  She can either swap bodies or co-inhabit.  She hasn't made the move permanently, or killed anyone to take over their bodies... but that's probably because she's so confident about her own.  Rachel & Cable haven't swapped bodies either.  Although I did expect Cable to steal Stryfe's body when the TO Virus became too much for him (although that appears to have healed somehow).  Jean has been used as a template by the Phoenix & to create Maddy Pryor, but has never swapped bodies by choice... and considering how many times she's died...  she should probably have tried it :p

Not all telepaths are immortal.  Just a couple of evil ones.
#20 Edited by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: At the end of X-Cutioner's Song, Stryfe's physical body was destroyed, then he went into Cable's body and then into Warpath's body (I believe). Cassandra Nova did not want to get any attention from any male X-Men members, that is why.  

Proteus can and has.

@"Colossus" said:

" no. odin and zeus both are telepaths but they were killed "

Immortal means that you can be killed, but you can come back at a later time. 
#21 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks said:
" @xerox-kitty: At the end of X-Cutioner's Song, Stryfe's physical body was destroyed, then he went into Cable's body and then into Warpath's body (I believe). "
Warpath was locked in the Danger Room at the end of X-Cutioner's Song.  Stryfe was at the heart of a time vortex, which Cable detonated.  Stryfe died.  He was later shown in Limbo/Hell when Warpath had a near death experience during X-Force.  Stryfe wanted to exchange Warpath's life for his own rebirth... but failed thanks to Valkyrie, Siryn & the rest of X-Force. 
#22 Posted by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: Stryfe is still telepathically immortal though. 
#23 Posted by cracks (6974 posts) - - Show Bio

Boost.