Telekinetic force field and Magneto's shield.

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cracks

1. What is the difference between the two, besides the obvious?

2. What exactly is a telekinetic force field? Is it air molecules that are held completely still?

3. What is the composition of Magneto's shield? Is it electrons that are held still?   

4. Which is more powerful between the two?
PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

1. There's no difference as I understand it. Even though Magneto's power is over magnetism he can repel just about anything with it.

2. A telekinetic force field would be psionic energy made solid or a repulsive field affecting all matter and energy.

3. I'd say yeah probably electrons and possibly protons from the atmosphere around him. But I doubt they're still probably whizzing around constantly. So it probably would feel solid if you touched it, probably feel like electricity.

4. Depends on who's creating the telekinetic field. Magneto is one of the world's most powerful mutants so his field is very strong, though Jean grey or Cable might be able to create a stronger telekinetic field.

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cracks
@PrinceIMC: 

1. Well, he can't repel magic with it.  Selene proved that. 

2. It a telekinetic force field needs psionic energy then how is Hellion able to create it?

4. Or X-Man        %Pr
PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC
@cracks: 1. Yup that's why I said just about anything. Powerful magic can usually circumvent science.

2. Hellion generates psionic aka psychokinetic energy

4. Yeah or X-Man or Exodus...or Sue Storm though hers is a combination of psionic and cosmic energy I believe.
cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cracks
@PrinceIMC: 

2. Does every telekinetic generate psionic aka psychokinetic energy?%Pr
PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrinceIMC
@cracks: I think that's what makes them a telekinetic. They create a specific form of energy with their mind that allows them to affect matter. 

To comment on an earlier question there was at least one guy that did create solid air to use as a force field, Windshear from Alpha Flight. Then his powers were the basis for the Redeemer called Meteorite.
cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cracks
@PrinceIMC: Interesting. Thanks.           %Pr
Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Pania

As for telekinesis and magnetism, the impression I get is that it entirely depends on the strength of the character. Magneto can make stronger shields than Polaris. Jean Grey can make stronger shields than Psylocke (depending on what her power set is this week, of course) .

And Magnetic shielding *is* something that is being researched in real science.   

http://www.islandone.org/Settlements/MagShield.html 
 http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/lunarshield_techwed_050112.html
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6567709.stm

"To create the deflector shield around a spacecraft or on the surface of a planet or moon, scientists need to generate a magnetic field and then fill it with ionised gas called plasma.

The plasma would be held in place by a stable magnetic field (without the magnetic field, the plasma would simply drift away). This shield could be deployed around a spacecraft or around astronauts on the surface of a planetary body such as the Moon.

As energetic particles interact with the plasma, energy is sapped away from them and they slow down."

While the exact composition of Magneto shields is unknown, but this might provide a clue. At the very least the fact that magnetism can hold plasm indicates it's has the ptoential to be very powerful.
cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cracks
@Pania: Interesting. Thanks.     
yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yodagod

Magnetic shields are a combination of gravitons (particles that manipulate gravity) and electromagnetic energy  (like the force you feel when you try to force opposite poles of magnets together.) 
TK shields can be either pure psionic energy (like Exodus) or pure kinetic energy (likely what Hellion uses). 
As far as power, of course that depends on powerlevel of the creator using the shield, and attacks made against them.  Magic seems to penetrate both (magic nearly always trumps anything natural), and TP seems to be able to penetrate if the TP user is very powerful.  Other than that, I've never seen anything else get through Magneto or Jean or any similarly powered character's shields without breaking them.
cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cracks
@yodagod: Interesting. Thanks.
With regards to Hellion, what kinetic energy? Is it composed or air particles or molecules? Can Exodus' shield, being pure psionic energy resist telekinetic attacks?                %Pr
yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By yodagod
@cracks:
I believe that the kinetic energy is pure potential energy (no explanation, similar to "psionic').  Exodus has been shown holding off TK attacks.
Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Pania
@yodagod: Actually, Kinetic energy is when potential energy becomes actualized, if you will. It's energy in motion/being used. Potential energy is the energy stored in calories. Kinetic energy is when those calories are burned in the muscle to produce motion. The energy of the motion is kinetic energy.
yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yodagod
@Pania:
True.  I believe that the field generated is the transference state when the potential becomes actual and as such is still, at least scientifically, without form and isn't technically "made" of anything (electrons, heat, etc...).  Since I don't think Marvel has ever explained it, that's my theory.
cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cracks
@yodagod: So if telekinetic were on the same raw power level, skill and experience that Magneto is on, what would be the difference between the telekinetic force field and Magneto's shield?
cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cracks
Boost.             
segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So let me see if I understand this correctly. If you have complete control over electromagnetism, a fundamental force of the universe then why do we not just call it telekinesis? If it works on the subatomic level then your basically an all out matter/energy manipulator like silver surfer right?