Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Episode 1.14 'New Girl in Town' Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I don't know how this show does it, but it simply refuses to drop in quality and remains impressive week after week. Fourteen episodes in and I have yet to be disappointed with the sharp writing, fun action and feel good humor.

"New Girl in Town" once again dives into the brotherly rivalry between Leonardo and Raphael. While chasing down Snakeweed, Leo's plan lets the villain escape and Raph berates his brother's ability to lead. Frustrated, he let's Raph take the mantle and leaves the team to blow off some steam. This is where he encounters the fan favorite character, Karai (Kelly Hu). She's once again a member of The Foot and, despite spending most of their time fighting, the two really hit it off. To some degree, it's clear Leo finds her thrilling and the feeling is certainly mutual. She wants to push him to give into darker temptations, but naturally it'll take more than a little peer pressure to change this boy scout The rest of the episode jumps between this conflicted relationship and Raph's struggle to lead the team as they hunt down Snakeweed.

While the combat wasn't particularly fast paced compared to other episodes, it was still quite energetic. The bouts between Karai and Leo are fun as their swords clash and ninja stars are deflected, but the real treat is when Leo eventually faces off with Snakeweed. Just like previous episodes, slow motion is used at all the right instances, delivering seriously awesome moments. There's also one especially cool shot as we follow Donatello while he dodges Snakeweed's attacks.

No Caption Provided

The conflict between the two lead Turtles is something we've seen plenty of times before, but I really liked how it was handled this time around. Having time apart gave Leo a moment to vent in his own way and gave Raph a chance to step up to the plate. The outcome is definitely obvious, but it brings about a touching and funny moment between the two. It's a very heartwarming conclusion.

I'm sure Mikey not being around for a good chunk of the episode is part of the reason it wasn't as hysterical as the others, but his early pizza guy quips did make me smile every time. We also saw the return of Leo's awesomely campy cartoon and that's always a joy. Still, less punch lines is hardly a bad thing because it let the show put a proper spotlight on the characters while still tossing in plenty of amusing action.

While Snakeweed's plot (and character) isn't anything inspiring, Leo's development was handled exceptionally well and this is by far the most intriguing story we have yet to see for the character. Karai's new design will probably be met with mixed responses, but so far she's entertaining and absolutely a badass. I'm excited to see where they'll go with her.

Oh, and Raph dropping a BOOYAKASHA at that specific moment was ridiculously sweet.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ms__omega

Overall a great episode this show just keeps getting better and better. Also I love Karai's redesign. :)

Mr_riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mr_riddler

Something tells me than Karai is Miwa, is very obviously.

DMXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DMXN

The episode was awesome, there was plenty of good action, and Mikey learning what was in sewer water was ridiculously funny, as well as his fertilizer comment. But the only thing I didn't like was Karai's new design, especially the new yellow hair on the back of her head.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I was wondering have you read any Usagi Yojimbo?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Shall check it out when Im back later today. Signing by Len Wein I'm off to ^_^

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xblah_blahx

Great episode! I prefer Karai being shredders daughter than granddaughter.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#8  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Nice episode. I really liked the chemistry between Leo and Karai. Also liked the how the episode taught the importantce of leadership.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Mr_riddler said:

Something tells me than Karai is Miwa, is very obviously.

And something tells me you also saw those spoilers online, otherwise you'd assume she's truly Shredder's relative just like in other versions.

Sniper_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sniper_King

I still like Karai 2003 more, but this one is ok

I can't wait for next week

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Lvenger

Great fight scenes, witty jokes and excellent characterisation. This show keeps impressing me. Leo and Kairai's dialogue plus Mikey's reaction to what sewage is made my day.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mezmero

We got Karai before we get Casey Jones? Beggars can't be choosers. Still enjoying this show. Watching Raphael achieve some humility is always a delight. Space Heroes is also still amazing.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dondave

Awesome Episode

Mr_riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr_riddler

@k4tzm4n: Nope, my common sense told me that. I Guess, you also know that Original Karai from Mirage is not Shredder's relative, mate.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Mr_riddler said:

@k4tzm4n: Nope, my common sense told me that. I Guess, you also know that Original Karai from Mirage is not Shredder's relative, mate.

So in an episode where she bluntly calls him "father" (in a moment that's supposed to surprise the viewer, too) I can't see one's common sense "obviously" concluding, "that's Hamato's daughter who we're supposed to think died long ago!"

Forgive my skepticism, but it seems more likely to me that you simply saw the spoilers which leaked awhile ago and have been updated on her assorted profile pages. But hey, if that was your go-to thought, then good on ya because unfortunately, the leaks clearly imply that.

And yes, I've done my homework (please note I said other versions, not every version). I've by no means read all of the classic material, but I've done what I can through assorted bios and attempt to fill in the gaps when my budget allows it.

@Mezmero said:

We got Karai before we get Casey Jones? Beggars can't be choosers. Still enjoying this show. Watching Raphael achieve some humility is always a delight. Space Heroes is also still amazing.

He's apparently rumored to debut in Season Two.

Avatar image for cancer_the_conqueror
Cancer the Conqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta agree with Rob Paulsen. Even though I wouldn't put together Greg Cipes' voice with Michelangelo, my favorite Turtle as a kid, it's an unbelievably smooth match. Certainly glad I left my nostalgia goggles at the door when I finally got to tune into this show, unlike my friends.

Mr_riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mr_riddler

@k4tzm4n: Even you, Cowboy, could of puzzled together a riddle this obvious. Don't you think? These cartoons of today are not very surprising. This plot twist is very simple and predictable, but maybe i'm wrong.

RavenRecoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By RavenRecoil

I love this series. I'm 29 years old and grew up watching the turtles. Sadly I'm a few episodes behind because i watch them on Nick.com. Wish they would upload them sooner!!!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Mr_riddler said:

@k4tzm4n: Even you, Cowboy, could of puzzled together a riddle this obvious. Don't you think? These cartoons of today are not very surprising. This plot twist is very simple and predictable, but maybe i'm wrong.

LOL at cowboy.

You seem to be missing my point. With just this episode, there is no reason to suspect there's a riddle or a puzzle. She merely called him father, and seeing as she is indeed a relative of his in all of the latest versions, there's nothing suspect of that at all. And no, you're not wrong because like I've already said, that spoiler has been leaked.

@RavenRecoil said:

I love this series. I'm 29 years old and grew up watching the turtles. Sadly I'm a few episodes behind because i watch them on Nick.com. Wish they would upload them sooner!!!

27 over here! Yes, sadly their website doesn't seem to update frequently. Do you have a DVR?

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Fantasgasmic

Overall I really liked Karai's character design, especially the markings/makeup above her eyes resembling the mark on Utrom Shredder's eye in the 2003 series.

The blonde bit on the back of Karai's hair bugged me a bit. I can't imagine anyone would bleach just the bottom half of the back of their hair, or dye everything except that bit. Do you have any idea how annoying that would be to do yourself?

Darth Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Darth Paul
@Mr_riddler: Exactly 8-)
Darkus_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Darkus_99

Even though the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are my FAVOURITE characters, this new TMNT looks like it's for kids! And they look like kids too! Nothing is better than the old TMNT series! (2003-2007)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Darkus_99: Have you watched it or are you just judging that based on animation? 
Darkus_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Darkus_99

@k4tzm4n: Actually I haven't. But even if i DO, and even if it IS reaally cool, it still looks like children! I think most people KNOW the 2003-2007 TMNT is the BEST or at least better! They were more..."Serious"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Darkus_99 said:

@k4tzm4n: Actually I haven't. But even if i DO, and even if it IS reaally cool, it still looks like children! I think most people KNOW the 2003-2007 TMNT is the BEST or at least better! They were more..."Serious"

If you're really a Turtles fan (which it seems like you are), then I'd say you should at least give this show an honest chance.  If you don't like it, then you don't like it. No harm done. But, a lot of longtime fans (such as myself) have really grown to love the show. 

Here's an episode if you're interested!  The whole Pigeon Pete thing is a little childish, but the rest was solid... or at least I think so :D 

As an incentive to stick around, the end of this one has their first fight with Shredder ;)

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/tmnt-109-full-episode.html
Darkus_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Darkus_99

@k4tzm4n: Thanks i will...

jason44143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jason44143

@ Darkus_99

k4tzm4n is right you need to give this show a chance. I grew up watching the 80's turtles, and i watched the 2003 turtles. I loved the 2003 turtles because of how they targeted the young adult market. But after watching this i have to say i really like this show too, it brings a good amount of the seriousness that the 2003 cartoon had and mixes it with the light heartedness, and comedic side that the 87 turtles had. It really seems overall like you took the 2003 and 87 turtles and blended both worlds together. you have your mutagenic enhanced enemies, and your normal people/ninja enemies. Theres the kraang, and baxter stockman. They are creating a whole rogues gallery that isnt soley based on who shredder sends after the turtles that day. this is a much watch show for any turtle fan.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheHeat

Love this show!