TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is by no means a mad movie. In fact, for a majority of the film, I was having a great time. I was invested in the characters in a way I haven't been for a blockbuster in years. However, in the last 30 minutes, Disney and director Rian Johnson made every possible decision they could to lose my interest, amusement and excitement.

Non-spoiler version: would i recommend this movie? Well, if you're a Star Wars fan, you're already going to see it and don't need me to tell you to. For those of you who aren't as big on Star Wars - it depends. The movie follows two different storylines - there's the main story with Rey and Luke, and a B-plot. One of these storylines is significantly more entertaining than the other, whereas the other merely exists as filler to pad out what is in truth a thin story, into a full-length film. Unfortunately, even the interesting storyline was diminished, which left me numb and bored. This movie is a waste of potential that couldn't be elevated by Daisy Ridley's charismatic, endearing performance, or Luke Skywalker's long-awaited return. The visuals are often dazzling, but they can only do so much to elevate the writing, which made me dread any upcoming Star Wars film. It made me fear the eventual Fox/Disney deal. I'll get into why, but I can't do that without spoilers, so if you haven't seen a movie, this is a warning. 3, 2, 1.

At one point in the movie, Luke warns Rey "this is not going to go the way you think." The movie then proceeds to go exactly where you would think any Disney movie that is trying to appeal to all ages and demographics and be the least offensive thing possible, would go. The movie continually promises you that it will rise above and show you that it's more than a Disney kids movie. Surely they'll do something interesting. Surely this room that Rey senses and says she sees in her dreams will lead somewhere, right?! Surely this connection between Rey and Kylo will mean SOMETHING later in the film. Maybe, just maybe Luke is right and this will NOT go the way you expect your average blockbuster to go. Surely they'll take these characters somewhere interesting! But no, this guys exactly where you'd expect a Marvel movie to go.

This "hope prevails, good guys prevail without losing anything" might have been serviceable in any other dumb action movie, but this movie set itself up to be so much more. There's so much talk of Rey turning to the dark side or Kylo turning to the light, and that scene where Kylo killed Snoke and fought alongside Rey was fantastic. I remember thinking "wow! Nice job movie!" I honestly believed Kylo managed to defeat the dark side, and redeem himself, but alas, the movie ends with a bombastic climax where Rey is the hero and Kylo is the villain. Nothing changed from the beginning. The movie set up a connection between these two, showing them communicating with eachother through the force, and I remember sitting there thinking "damn! This is interesting stuff. I wonder what the connection between these two is! Do they go way back?" But it turns out Snoke was manipulating the two because he knew that it would lead to Rey coming over and trying to convert Kylo. Make a twist 101: a twist shouldn't make things less interesting. It turns out there's no connection between the two. Kylo doesn't turn to the light. Rey doesn't turn to the darkness. It's just a rubbish climax. I'm not excited for the next movie because Disney refuses to take this characters anywhere interesting.

It was blatantly obvious that Luke Skywalker is in this film to make Disney movie without an attempt to properly use him. Rey doesn't learn anything from Luke. She was great with the force in TFA and she is every bit as good at it in this film. I don't see why she needed to be trained by Luke except for Disney to put butts in seats. All that talk about "the force is more than just making things fly, it's what binds things together" is hollow feel-good bull crap that amounts to nothing. That Yoda scene was also bizarre and I still have no idea what sense to make of it.

I wasn't invested at all in Finn's character: he has no depth and no character development. I honestly don't know why he has to be in these movies: he doesn't add much except an opportunity to pad out the film. I didn't care at all when Captain Phasma showed.

One of the worst things you can do in a movie is remind viewers of how better it could be. In an ideal world, Disney would care more about telling a compelling story instead of tying it up in the blandest and safest way possible, something this movie constantly reminds you of. The Marvel movies are forgiven for their predictable stories because i) those movies know what they are don't promise anything else, leaving little room for disappointment and ii) those movies are built differently. They're built like a cinematic universe, where the joy is seeing the characters crossover, exploring different genres and themes and spending more time with these characters throughout films. This Star Wars trilogy is standalone. It's a self-contained story. The appeal of these movie isn't crossovers or anything - it should be telling a good, self-contained story. Which this movie doesn't do, because they have to appease as many people possible. But honestly, it even made me less excited for Infinity War. I know people are going to go into IW with higher expectations being the culmination of everything the MCU has led up to, but it's going to be just as risky as your average Disney movie - which isn't much.

I could go into the overuse of humour, the lack of interesting action sequences or the forgettable score which is just a rehash of previous Star Wars movies, but my biggest issues are all the missed opportunities that would've ACTUALLY excited me for the next movie.

Thanks for reading. Leave your thoughts on the movie below.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Eh, pretty much what I was expecting. Do my eyes deceive me or does it look like you're starting to see the MCU/Disney in a different light?

Were the battles cool at least??

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I think the only reason they have Finn is because Disney thinks the big reveal of Finn being related to Lando Clarissian will shock and amaze.

I really hope after episode 9, they will leave the franchise alone. For me the prequels are bearable except for the melodrama between Anakin and Padme but episode 7 had zero thought put into it and from what you told me episode 8 isn't an improvement.

minorincon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sooooooo shouldn't spoilers be covered by a spoiler block? just asking.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@buttersdaman000 said:

Eh, pretty much what I was expecting. Do my eyes deceive me or does it look like you're starting to see the MCU/Disney in a different light?

Were the battles cool at least??

Honestly yeah. They've been doing their thing for almost a decade. Thor: Ragnarok was definitely my "okay yeah that was cool but what next?" moment. I enjoyed almost everything up to this point, but at this point I'm expecting more. I'm lukewarm on Black Panther because it just looks like more of the same.

The battles were decent. Anything involving lightsabers was the most disappointing thing since my grades though.

minorincon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

@theamazingspidey: Geez after the rave reviews this got it really makes me wonder if critics give passes on Disney movies I feel we have a similar taste in movies and I wasn't expecting this did you like TFA? I mean when I first saw it I loved it but thinking now the movie had a really dumb plot and really was only good because of all the fan seervice and nostalgia and feel that there was so much wasted potential I really liked the new character performances but now I feel it could've been a lot better I had hopes for this movie but now I don't know I haven't seen it and don't know anything about the movie so I guess I'll see

Nice review though

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spambot

@marvelanddcfan24: I feel like critics give more passes to sw films than to mcu. The last sw movie got better reviews than any mcu movie ever has and it was more or less rehashed garbage dressed up with good cgi. TLJ is also getting incredible reviews and I am starting to think it may be no better than TFA. There's been a few mcu movies which prob get better reviews than they deserved but most of them get reviewed pretty fairly imo.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Geez after the rave reviews this got it really makes me wonder if critics give passes on Disney movies I feel we have a similar taste in movies and I wasn't expecting this did you like TFA? I mean when I first saw it I loved it but thinking now the movie had a really dumb plot and really was only good because of all the fan seervice and nostalgia and feel that there was so much wasted potential I really liked the new character performances now feel it could've been a lot better I had hopes for this movie but know I don't know I haven't seen it and don't k ow anything about the movie so I guess I'll see

Nice review though

I'm with you on TFA, actually! I loved it when I first saw it in cinemas, but on rewatch, I found it less than compelling. I still like it, but it has very little rewatch value and isn't a very interesting movie. I think Kylo Ren was a fantastic character though.

I honestly wish Star Wars was with someone other than Disney. These Star Wars movies haven't been that good.

Thanks!

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@marvelanddcfan24: I feel like critics give more passes to sw films than to mcu. The last sw movie got better reviews than any mcu movie ever has and it was more or less rehashed garbage dressed up with good cgi. TLJ is also getting incredible reviews and I am starting to think it may be no better than TFA.

I honestly think the prequels have to do with it. The prequel's were so shit that okay-ness looks like greatness in comparison. I can't wrap my head around why TFA has an 8.3/10 average rating. That's higher than any CBM that isn't The Dark Knight.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@marvelanddcfan24: I feel like critics give more passes to sw films than to mcu. The last sw movie got better reviews than any mcu movie ever has and it was more or less rehashed garbage dressed up with good cgi. TLJ is also getting incredible reviews and I am starting to think it may be no better than TFA.

I honestly think the prequels have to do with it. The prequel's were so shit that okay-ness looks like greatness in comparison. I can't wrap my head around why TFA has an 8.3/10 average rating. That's higher than any CBM that isn't The Dark Knight.

I think it might be that a lot of critics are in the age range where they saw the ot when they were kids and just desperately want the new trilogy to measure up to them.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@spambot said:

I think it might be that a lot of critics are in the age range where they saw the ot when they were kids and just desperately want the new trilogy to measure up to them.

That's something I never considered! Combination of both to be honest.

But like....... even Star Wars fans are disappointed with TLJ.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

That's something I never considered! Combination of both to be honest.

But like....... even Star Wars fans are disappointed with TLJ.

Critics just enjoy getting on bandwagons sometimes imo. It gives them a sense of purpose I think.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Yeah it's a shame Kylo is a really great character Adam Driver did really well playing him and even daisy I thought was good just the writing for her character was just ridiculous

It's a shame they threw out all the EU I don't know if you are familiar with it and completely shut out Lucas the guy I feel had great ideas but wasn't a good director and got carried away with it ie the prequels with the right people who can adapt his vision on screen I think would've been better oh well

Hopefully BP and Infinity War is good and actually has some soul to it worried about what they're going to do with Xmen

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16 frozen  Moderator

@theamazingspidey: TFA has an 8.2 on rotten, TDK is the highest at 8.6 but Spider-Man 2 has 8.3/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39006e28280
deactivated-5a39006e28280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

As bad as the prequels might have been they are masterpieces compared to the rubbish that Disney/Lucasfilm etc has given us these last 3 films.

Zepta_Pon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shamshi said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@spambot said:

As bad as the prequels might have been they are masterpieces compared to the rubbish that Disney/Lucasfilm etc has given us these last 3 films.

At least the prequels had better fight scenes choreography and Darth Maul was great.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn you didn't like it at all.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We are never going to capture the magic of the first trilogy, I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. That said it definitely has room for improvement

Avatar image for emperor_jar_jar
Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@destinyman75: Tbh this still has a lot of "magic" in it compared to the prequels.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By destinyman75

@emperor_jar_jar: True it has enough to make it memorable for the next gen to get involved

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are you even comparing it to the MCU? Your hyped for infinity war dropped? Because disney has total control over marvel films?

I used to trust your reviews man. And im gonna laugh when all these fanboys that preach the mcu doesnt take risks get proven wrong.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are you even comparing it to the MCU? Your hyped for infinity war dropped? Because disney has total control over marvel films?

I used to trust your reviews man. And im gonna laugh when all these fanboys that preach the mcu doesnt take risks get proven wrong.

Is that not a fair critique? I'm concerned for Infinity War because Disney seems to be adverse to taking risks. If this one opinion of mine is enough for you to lose trust in me, than I don't know what to tell you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh God this movie freaking sucked. Literally my second least favorite Star Wars movie yet . . . I have never wanted a Star Wars movie to end, but in the theater I was actually super freaking annoyed. I hate this movie so much.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't even pick what is my biggest disappointment. First one that comes to mind is Snoke... Who the hell is he? Where did he come from? Who the fug knows? It was clear Johnson was lazy when he said that he had no interest in developing this character. I could have done a better job. Hell, anyone who theorized where he came from could have made a better job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39006e28280
deactivated-5a39006e28280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh God this movie freaking sucked. Literally my second least favorite Star Wars movie yet . . . I have never wanted a Star Wars movie to end, but in the theater I was actually super freaking annoyed. I hate this movie so much.

I know right, I was actually looking at my watch hoping the two and half hours were up. I didn't even do that when I first watched AotC in the cinema.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My biggest complaint about that Leia scene is that Carrie isn't around to talk about it. I'm sure she'd have something hilarious to say.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Berk.

Almost as bad as a SW from the prequels

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#30  Edited By The Impersonator

Before watching this movie, I read the IMDB reviews and they said it was harshly bad. I was shocked to see this. You know what they say. Always make your own judgement. When I saw the movie, I can understand why the haters truly hate the movie.

In my opinion, this was a good movie, not the greatest one. I didn't mind the humor. Star Wars movies didn't need to be dark at all times. Much like Zack Snyder's previous DCEU movies, it's the reason why Joss Whedon came onboard and included humor in Justice League. Although, that movie could have run about 150 minutes, it was an okay movie.

The Leia survived the space scene was unexpected. I didn't think she'll survive in the movie because the actor, Carrie Fisher was dead after she filmed her scenes in Episode 8. It makes sense why she survived. She was force sensitive. Anyone would ask themselves, why now? Leia hadn't been active in the Force lately. Although, she can sense the Force, she wasn't physically active. I didn't know what to think about it. To me, it seems like a cheap way to bring Leia back. But she could have died in a coma after surviving in space for quite a while. Think about it. Luke had projected himself across the galaxy for quite amount of time. That kind of feat would take certian toll on any Jedi. So, it makes sense why Luke died. But Leia?

Then you have Kylo Ren killing Snoke. How did Snoke didn't notice that Kylo was planning to kill him? To me, Snoke seems too powerful in the ways of the Force. You'd think that Snoke will find out about Kylo's betrayal. But no, Snoke was fooled. Was it pride that blinded him? Did Kylo somehow put a mental block in Snoke's head from reading his moves? If Kylo had planned the assassination earlier, wouldn't Snoke found out?

I thought they would keep Snoke alive until Episode 9 to delve deeper into his backstory. But I was wrong. He was sliced by Kylo Ren. It may be a cool trick. But to find that the greatest, mysterious Snoke killed instantly felt cheap.

That being said, we don't know who Snoke is, or how he came to be. Snoke is an underdeveloped character compared to Emperor Palpatine.

Then there's was one scene where Leia stunned Poe, ending his mutiny. I was like, "What?" Then it was revealed that Leia and Admiral Holdo had a contingency plan to let the resistance escape, and not fight back. Why would they keep it secret and not tell Poe? If they told him, he wouldn't create a fuss about Holdo's poor leadership.

Of course, Poe wouldn't listen to them. Maybe, that makes sense. But at least you could try and convince Poe about the plan earlier. You can't keep things secret from the rest of the Resistance. They also need to know.

I didn't like Captain Phasma much. She had no in-depth character and had limited screen time. I felt like she had potential the first time I saw her in Force Awakens, but it was wasted.

Other than that, I liked the movie. It wasn't terrible. Not great, but good.